koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    wow, hard to believe Theriot's career is over
    I've been trying to figure out why he is calling it quits and the only thing I could find was a quote on Yahoo Sports.

"that he was ready to walk away after getting no enticing offers"

I can see him as an excellent utility player off the bench.

But he does have 3 young children and maybe wants to spend more time with them.

MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11165

Well for realistic news on a player, Holland is out a few months. That's a blow to the Rangers rotation.

Derek Holland injured his left knee in a fall at home, Gerry Fraley reports. He underwent surgery earlier today to repair the damage, which will likely keep him out until at least mid-season.

Rangers GM Jon Daniels said this won't spur the team to sign a "big ticket" pitcher, such as Masahiro Tanaka. Rather, he said Holland's replacement will likely come from within the organization, such as Robbie Ross. Losing Holland is a big deal for the Rangers, as the lefty is coming off of a career-best season in which he posted a 3.42 ERA in 213 innings of work.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
    I've been trying to figure out why he is calling it quits and the only thing I could find was a quote on Yahoo Sports.

"that he was ready to walk away after getting no enticing offers"

I can see him as an excellent utility player off the bench.

But he does have 3 young children and maybe wants to spend more time with them.
    Must be nice to retire in your late 30's, huh?

I'm sure he'll come back in the not too distant future. Many teams would be interested...

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanStallion View Post
    Well for realistic news on a player, Holland is out a few months. That's a blow to the Rangers rotation.

Derek Holland injured his left knee in a fall at home, Gerry Fraley reports. He underwent surgery earlier today to repair the damage, which will likely keep him out until at least mid-season.
    Hate to see this happen to a young player.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstop View Post

I'm sure he'll come back in the not too distant future. Many teams would be interested...
    Its always nice to have experience on the bench. Played in 2 WS and has played every position except P,C, & CF.

MexicanStallion

According to baseball reference he earned about $8.5million between 07-12. He should be taken care of.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Its always nice to have experience on the bench. Played in 2 WS and has played every position except P,C, & CF.
    Excellent info here. I'm sure we'll see him playing again.

Like you stated, a player like Theriot is very coveted during the playoff run and well into October...

MexicanStallion

Who ends up with Tanaka?

Sports Hochi in Japan reports that the Yankees, Dodgers and Angels are the finalists to sign Masahiro Tanaka.

It goes on to say that the Yankees are the favorites to land the right-hander. The report is certainly worth passing along, but it should be taken with a big grain of salt. After all, remember that many Japanese news outlets reported that Tanaka wasn't coming to the states at all. His signing deadline is January 24.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Who ends up with Tanaka?

Sports Hochi in Japan reports that the Yankees, Dodgers and Angels are the finalists to sign Masahiro Tanaka.

It goes on to say that the Yankees are the favorites to land the right-hander. The report is certainly worth passing along, but it should be taken with a big grain of salt. After all, remember that many Japanese news outlets reported that Tanaka wasn't coming to the states at all. His signing deadline is January 24.
    It seems like where ever you read another team is is the hunt for him.

The only thing I know for sure is he will not sign with the Reds.!

What is it? Like $20m just to meet with him or something like that?

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Rangers GM Jon Daniels said this won't spur the team to sign a "big ticket" pitcher, such as Masahiro Tanaka. Rather, he said Holland's replacement will likely come from within the organization, such as Robbie Ross. Losing Holland is a big deal for the Rangers, as the lefty is coming off of a career-best season in which he posted a 3.42 ERA in 213 innings of work.
    Very unfortunate for both Holland and the Rangers.

This instantly reminded of the time Clint Barmes injured his shoulder walking up his stairs carrying deer meat that Todd Helton had given him.

Never quite know the validity of these "hurt at home" incidents, but crazy things do happen everywhere...

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Does the young kid Boston was playing at 3B in WS become everyday SS or 3B this season?

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

It seems like where ever you read another team is is the hunt for him.

The only thing I know for sure is he will not sign with the Reds.!

What is it? Like $20m just to meet with him or something like that?
    I'm pretty sure he won't be a Pirate this year either!

I hope the guy gets shelled in his MLB debut. Bring him back to earth a little bit...

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

I'm pretty sure he won't be a Pirate this year either!

I hope the guy gets shelled in his MLB debut. Bring him back to earth a little bit...
    I was thinking the same thing!

Did not even throw a pitch and is guaranteed multi -100m contract.

MexicanStallion

Braden had some good stuff. At least he retries with the perfect game. Shame it was cut down so short.

Dallas Braden has told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle that he will retire.

Braden is just 30 years old, but he's been unable to recover from multiple shoulder surgeries. He had been slated to throw for potentially interested teams at some point in January, but that obviously won't happen now. "There is nothing left in there, it’s just a shredded mess," Braden said. "I left my arm on the mound at the Coliseum, and I’m OK with that." Braden has a perfect game on his resume and retires with a career 4.16 ERA over parts of five seasons.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Braden had some good stuff. At least he retries with the perfect game. Shame it was cut down so short.

Dallas Braden has told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle that he will retire.

Braden is just 30 years old, but he's been unable to recover from multiple shoulder surgeries. He had been slated to throw for potentially interested teams at some point in January, but that obviously won't happen now. "There is nothing left in there, it’s just a shredded mess," Braden said. "I left my arm on the mound at the Coliseum, and I’m OK with that." Braden has a perfect game on his resume and retires with a career 4.16 ERA over parts of five seasons.
    He threw his perfect game against Tampa Bay on Mother's Day.

What makes it extra special was that Braden lost his mother to breast cancer.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

He threw his perfect game against Tampa Bay on Mother's Day.

What makes it extra special was that Braden lost his mother to breast cancer.
    Wow! Didn't know this, koz-man.

This is movie plot stuff right here! Must have been a very emotional day for him...

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

He'll be back in 2-4 years

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Very unfortunate for both Holland and the Rangers.

This instantly reminded of the time Clint Barmes injured his shoulder walking up his stairs carrying deer meat that Todd Helton had given him.

Never quite know the validity of these "hurt at home" incidents, but crazy things do happen everywhere...
    He tripped over his dog on the stairs.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Does the young kid Boston was playing at 3B in WS become everyday SS or 3B this season?
    From what I've heard, Middlebrooks will play third and Bogaerts will play short to start the season for Boston.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

From what I've heard, Middlebrooks will play third and Bogaerts will play short to start the season for Boston.
    Whats the skinny on Stephen Drew?

I believe he is a FA. Any chance Bo-Sox resign?

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

Whats the skinny on Stephen Drew?

I believe he is a FA. Any chance Bo-Sox resign?
    They'd probably have to move someone else first, they're right at the the luxury tax number and they want to stay under it.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 525

I think that they are going to cut S Drew loose and that is the right move.

Mitchell88
    Mitchell88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    I think that they are going to cut S Drew loose and that is the right move.
    I think losing drew is the right move to but I don't know if they will do it. Ferrell is in love with him he will try anything to stop it

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    They'd probably have to move someone else first, they're right at the the luxury tax number and they want to stay under it.
    Thanks.

I was wondering why it seems that they have no intention of re-signing him.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

The Red Sox will have a lot of young talent on the left side of the infield for several years to come...

In addition to Middlebrooks and Bogaerts, they have top prospect Garin Cecchini playing the hot corner at AAA.

Cecchini is probably two or three years away from The Show.

Nice problems to have for the Boston organization!

MexicanStallion

In addition to Middlebrooks and Bogaerts, they have top prospect Garin Cecchini playing the hot corner at AAA.

That's what happened with Texas and they worked out a nice trade down the line.

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

We need to update this to 2014 players to keep a eye on

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

The Red Sox will have a lot of young talent on the left side of the infield for several years to come...

That post confused me for a second. The Mets have a prospect named Gavin Cecchini and I thought you were talking about him. Stupid parents named their kids Garin and Gavin.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

That's what happened with Texas and they worked out a nice trade down the line.
    Yeah, Boston is in the driver's seat in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
    We need to update this to 2014 players to keep a eye on
    Good idea. I'll start one within the next couple of days if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    That post confused me for a second. The Mets have a prospect named Gavin Cecchini and I thought you were talking about him. Stupid parents named their kids Garin and Gavin.

MexicanStallion

Good idea. I'll start one within the next couple of days if I remember.
    Start it up. I think we are ready. Pitchers and Catchers report within a month. You are the right man for the thread starting.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Start it up. I think we are ready. Pitchers and Catchers report within a month. You are the right man for the thread starting.
    Thanks for the kind words, Stallion!

I'll start a new one here shortly...

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Looks like Sizemore going to reds

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Looks like Sizemore going to reds
    Not in ink yet, But looks like a go...

from the Reds Site....
    CINCINNATI -- The Reds are making efforts to add former Indians center fielder Grady Sizemore.

Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com reported Sunday that Cincinnati and Sizemore's agent are in "advanced talks" for the free agent.
    MLB.com first reported earlier this month of the Reds' interest in Sizemore.
    "Still working on it," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said Sunday in a text message.
    Sizemore, 31, has not played in the Majors since 2011 and had microfracture surgery performed on both of his knees during his injury-riddled career.
    After losing Shin-Soo Choo as a free agent, the Reds are planning to have prospect Billy Hamilton compete to be the everyday center fielder and leadoff man. But the club is also looking to add insurance behind the inexperienced Hamilton.
    Sizemore, a three-time All-Star, is a career .269 hitter with 139 home runs, 458 RBIs and a .357 on-base percentage over eight big league seasons in Cleveland. From 2006-08, he batted .279 with a .380 on-base percentage, averaging 28 home runs per season.

First ... 17181920