utmoody10
    utmoody10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 725

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    Our gang likes you UT. Love guys who love college football. Some of our guys think they know you from another site. You have the smarts and knowledge of another Vol faithful who we got to know at another network. No matter...appreciate you and your passion for college football. Thanks Bud.
    Appreciate the kind words. I dont post anywhere other than here but I do love the Vols even though they continually rip my heart out year after year, 1998 seems so long ago. Love talking college football and believe its the best thing going, give me the Third Saturday in October over the Super Bowl any day of the week. Look forward to contributing to this thread throughout the offseason.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

When it rains, it pours, at least in Los Angeles. Back in 2008 when Rick Neuheisel too the reigns at UCLA, he said that he would compete against USC, and eventually make Los Angeles a two team town. Well, two 4-8 and one 7-6 season later, Neuheisel still has not defeated USC. More shocking than that is that USC, with all of it's problems, still managed a Top 5 recruiting class today, while UCLA, according to Scout, tanked 69th, and had the WORST recruiting class in the Pac 12. They were even beat out by Washington State and Colorado. Neuheisel must know that his time at UCLA is nearing an end. 4 Conference USA teams had better recruiting classes, including Marshall.

Andreas
    Andreas's Avatar Become A Pro!

I will take north carolina -the points ;-)

utmoody10

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    I will take north carolina -the points ;-)
    I think there was more value in UNC moneyline

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

You guys are on the wrong page. This is about football, not hoops.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

TOP RECRUITING CLASSES

RIVALS...............SCOUT.............. ...ESPN.................MAXPREPS........ ..EMFINGER
    1. Alabama..........1. Auburn.............1. Florida St........1. Notre Dame.......1. Alabama
    2. Florida St.........2. Florida St.........2. Auburn............2. Florida St..........2. Georgia
    3. Texas..............3. USC................3. Alabama..........3. USC.................3. FSU
    4. USC................4. Ohio St............4. USC................4. Alabama...........4. Auburn
    5. Georgia............5. Texas..............5. Texas.............5. Auburn.............5. LSU
    6. LSU.................6. Georgia............6. Georgia...........6. LSU..................6. Ohio St
    7. Auburn.............7. Alabama...........7. Ohio St...........7. Clemson............7. Texas
    8. Clemson...........8. Notre Dame.......8. Clemson..........8. Georgia.............8. USC
    9. Oregon.............9. LSU.................9. Notre Dame......9. Ohio St............9. Florida
    10. Notre Dame.....10. Tennessee.......10. LSU..............10. Texas.............10. Clemson

*As you can see from the top five recruiting services, the range is all over the place.
    *Oregon and Florida only made one service's top ten.
    *Georgia comes in with a much needed class.
    *Florida State seems to have the most dominate 'thought of' group of players.
    *Love or hate Kiffin but the guy can recruit. USC is under probation and he comes through.
    *Notre Damn seems to be back in the national picture with recruiting.

OLE MISS
    Floyd Raven says his mom was just trying to help when she forged his signature on a letter of intent to Ole Miss on Wednesday morning. Instead, she only caused confusion. He had decided to go to Texas A&M. "I wasn't home and she sent it in." Texas A&M confirmed that Raven signed a letter of intent with the Aggies.

OHIO STATE
    Football recruit Chris Carter was arrested Tuesday for sexual imposition after a complaint he fondled a girl while pretending to measure her for an ROTC uniform. Carter, a 6'4", 325 pound offensive senior lineman at John Dennedy High School in Cleveland, was exspected to sign with the Buckeyes on Wednesday. A 15 year old victim now has the big boy in trouble with the law.

OKLAHOMA
    The son of a former Oklahoma quarterback is among 17 players who have signed with the Sooners. Joining the Sooners will be quarterback Kendal Thompson of Southmoore High in Moore, Oklahoma. He's the son of former Oklahoma quarterback Charles Thompson, who had a successful tenure as the Sooners' starter before his arrest on drug charges in 1989.

LSU
    Once again, Les Miles wrapped up another solid recruiting class, taking advantage of a deep crop in one part of the state. South Louisiana has produced many blue chippers in the past and the Tigers got some good one's from the area this year.

GEORGIA
    The Dawgs did what LSU usually does best: lock down the state. Georgia closed impressively and hauled in the top players from the state. Mark Richt and staff did a great job with their backs to the wall after last year's losing season.

FLORIDA
    The Gators had a solid year, by most standards. But not by the Gators under Urban Meyer. New coach Will Muschamp lost a number of commitments after Meyer's resignation. Making it worse, archrival Florida State landed the best class in years.

TENNESSEE
    The Vols closed out Derek Dooley's first full recruiting class by landing the state's top prospect, offensive lineman Antonio Richardson. Most believe Tennessee is still another recruiting class or two away from being a legitimate contender, but Dooley made considerable progress. Tennessee focused especially on rebuilding the offensive front, which must be improved dramatically.

utmoody10

*Love or hate Kiffin but the guy can recruit. USC is under probation and he comes through.
    Not surprising but I do hate him, especially since he was able to sway Lamar Dawson away from the Vols. I do believe USC is just delaying the inevitible with the appeal which pushes back the scholarship reduction for another year. It also doesn't look good for UCLA that they couldnt manage to bring in the Cali talent given the circumstances. It'll be interesting on how this USC class performs because honestly I wonder about the types of kids he is recruiting. From Kiffins 2009 class at Tennessee the 4 and 5 star players were as follows:

Jerrod Askew (4 Star) - Hasnt been able to crack the 2 deep on the depth chart
    Bryce Brown (5 Star)- Transfer to K State
    Eric Gordon (4 Star) - Starter last year
    James Green (4 Star) - Never made it to campus
    Janzen Jackson (5 Star) - Good player but always rumored to be in trouble, running out of chances with Dooley
    Darren Myles (4 Star) - Rides on the hoods of vehicles drunk and assaults police officers. Dismissed
    David Oku (4 Star) - Not productive on Offense or Special Teams and has announced he will transfer
    Nukeese Richardson (4 Star) - Robs rednecks of their cheeseburgers with BB guns. Dismissed
    JerQuari Schofiled (4 Star) - A starter at the beginning of last year, had injuries throughout. Fulmer committ
    Marsalis Teague (4 Star) - Played sparingly as a nickel back
    Marlon Walls (4 Star) - Really recruited by Fulmer but it took a few attempts to qualify. Coming back from injury next year and hasnt been a big contributor.

Only Jackson has shown much potential while others find themselves in trouble or not able to see eye to eye with the new coaching staff. Even Markeith Ambles this past year has fit into this mold, leaving USC once only to come crawling back. Kiffins quote of leaving UT in a better place is laughable and its encouraging to see Dooley pulling quality classes. 2012 should be an even better year in that this staff was able to begin to build relationships with 2012 recruits this year, a luxury that they didnt have for this class. I will say Kiffin was good for something though, he did find Tyler Bray.

WorkHorse

Interesting read UT.

I'm waiting on a response from BigDaddy...he's a USC fan.

Thanks Bud.

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Quote Originally Posted by utmoody10 View Post
    Appreciate the kind words. I dont post anywhere other than here but I do love the Vols even though they continually rip my heart out year after year, 1998 seems so long ago. Love talking college football and believe its the best thing going, give me the Third Saturday in October over the Super Bowl any day of the week. Look forward to contributing to this thread throughout the offseason.
    I too agree the 3rd Saturday in October for me is far and away better than the superbowl.......Roll Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0

Cyrus Kouandjio (Cujo) is reportedly going to make a decision on Fri. Feb. 4th. I hope he picks Bama. Him and his brother would make a great Duo on the O-line

WorkHorse

HoldEm, you and UT understand southern football. Our sorryass gang can relate to you guys.

Coach Bryant use to say his biggest rivals were Auburn (that cow college) and Tennessee. Any player who played under the Bear will tell you he wanted to beat Tennessee sometimes more than Auburn.

Hell men, I'm 62 years old and you might not go that far back. Great rivalry and always will be. We Bama fans love to beat Tennessee. Damn Phil Fulmer just added the hate with his hate for Bama.

Alabama has 22 SEC championships and Tennessee is second with 13. Always a battle and like you guys I love it.

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0

HoldEm, you and UT understand southern football. Our sorryass gang can relate to you guys.

Coach Bryant use to say his biggest rivals were Auburn (that cow college) and Tennessee. Any player who played under the Bear will tell you he wanted to beat Tennessee sometimes more than Auburn.

Hell men, I'm 62 years old and you might not go that far back. Great rivalry and always will be. We Bama fans love to beat Tennessee. Damn Phil Fulmer just added the hate with his hate for Bama.

Alabama has 22 SEC championships and Tennessee is second with 13. Always a battle and like you guys I love it.
    WorkHorse, I am 42 years old and the older I get the more I am glad to be born and bred in SEC land, and I am proud to call Alabama my home and Bama my team. Football in the south is special to the fans in ways people who are not from here would never understand. From birth the majority of fans in the south are set on a path of being a passionate fan of a football team. We dont have our loyalties split with other sports or an abundance of Professional teams. I know I am bias, But I would say that any other SEC fan would more than agree with my sentiment. SEC football is the greatest college football in the nation and I dont think that is debatable untill somebody else claims that by proving it on the field.......Roll Tide

WorkHorse

HoldEm....I'm sitting here with Bloomquest, Shorty, and Silver watching some basketball that we have an interest in.

We all agree.....Excellent post my friend.

Damn strong and we appreciate you and your contribution to college football thread.

WorkHorse

HoldEm....Shorty made me go back and check to make sure you and UTmoody were in the opening week $1000 to win college football weekend. I told him you guys were but the SOB made me check.

Hell men, some of these old bastards like you guys and your knowledge of football.

BigDaddy is our biggest supporter......hope you guys will join in and help him out during the off season. College Football ain't going to die here at SBR. The good thing is the SBR staff supports all us guys with our love of college football.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Getting back to recriuting, what UTmoody posted is an excellent example of why recruiting is so overrated. He lists 10 4 and 5 star recruits, of which one has actually produced. Three have been arrested for various crimes, and one never made it to school to begin with. As far as not seeing eye with the coaching staff, that is on the coaching staff. They have to deal with these 18 year old prima donnas. I am not picking on Tennessee. Their class is just an example of what can, and often does go wrong with trying to rank these recruiting classses. Let's face it. Today's student/athletes are about as dumb as they get. Many are totally worthless unless they are on a playing field. They often find themselves in trouble with the law. Very few of them could make it on their own in college without the football scholarship. Arrests go up every year. It is a rather pityful sight to see, but a trend that is not going to reverse itself until the NCAA takes stern action, which they will not do.

That is why it is critical that the coaching staffs be able to bring these kids along, because so few of them are going to make it. What the coaching staffs do with their talent is much more important than what a bunch of know-nothing writers think about the talent.

Now as far as USC is concerned, what they did was simply split the potential difference in scholarship reductions over a two year period. Several of their recruits were signed under LAST years count, so do not let the numbers fool you. It is my understanding that if USC loses their appeal, they lose only 5 scholarships for 2014, not 10. Because of the way they signed kids, they technically gave up 5 scholarships this season. USC was also smart enough to sign a PK, Punter, and long snapper so they do not have to worry about that for the three years they are on probation. No one does the recruiting thing much better than Kiffin and Company. The question remains if he can transfer that talent into talent on the field.

utmoody10

Bigdaddy, what are your thoughts on the Kiffin situation that has popped its head up again with the Tennessee hostess'? Are you worried that some penalties may follow him to USC? I think that the Bruce Pearl situation at UT could make this worse for the Vols than it would have been on its own.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

No, because rarely do problems from one school follow a coach to another. Rich Rod was the latest example. What he did at West Veiginia was porbably worse than what he did at Michigan, but nothing ever came of that.

The fact of the matter is that this is very political. It could hurt USC's chances of getting their current penalties reduced, but no ther penalty would be tacked on. If this were Wake, Vandy, Washington State, Indiana, or some other school that does not bring in huge money to the NCAA, the NCAA would just laugh at these guys trying to get their penalties reduced, but it is USC. Even though Oregon and Stanford have made great inroads in the Pac 12, USC is still the big money maker out West for the NCAA, and no other school comes close. Oregon has now played in a Rose Bowl game and a N.C. game and lost both. USC did not lose Rose Bowls, and lost one N.C. game, which many think was the greatest N.C. game ever. The fact is that the NCAA is walking the tightrope. They want to show everyone that they mean business, but they do NOT want to lose the money making machine that is USC. It is not like the SEC, where you have several very good teams that draw huge television audiences. Let's face it. Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, and the rest of the SEC draws much more national attention than USC, Oregon, Stanford, and the rest of the Pac 12. If Alabama wnet on probation, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, or other teams would probably pick up the slack. With USC, there is no one to pick up the slack, as far a T.V. ratings and money goes.

WorkHorse

JADEVEON CLOWNEY
    Clowney, a Rock Hill, South Carolina native and nation's No. 1 recruit confirmed that he will wait until February 14, his 18th bnirthday to choose between South Carolina, Clemson and Alabama. Clowney is expected to choose between the Gamecocks and the Tigers with Clemson coming on strong of late.

CLEMSON
    The Tigers ability to go into the state of Florida and grab the state's top running back in Mike Bellamy, top wide receiver in Sammy Watkins and the top linebacker in Tony Steward, make this one of the top recruiting classes in school history. For such a good class, there were a lot of factors working against the Tigers. They didn't have a very good season on the field, and then they had all that turnover on their coaching staff. Many think Clemson will nab Jadeveon Clowney, the No. 1 prospect in the country.

ALABAMA
    Former Alabama player and Mississippi State head coach Sylvester Croom will not be joining Bama's coaching staff. With Croom out of the picture, the attention on a replacement for Curt Cignetti may now shift to Mike Groh, the son of former Virginia head coach Al Groh.

UCLA
    Bigdaddy has posted some of UCLA's problems with coaches and recruiting. Now, seems the Bruins have lost their second quarterback for spring drills. Kevin Prince will miss practice because of a knee injury and Richard Brehaut has decided to play baseball this spring. Head coach Rick Neuheisel has been a huge disapointment with the Bruins.

MARYLAND
    Terrapins defensive coordinator Don Brown is leaving College Park to take the same position with UConn. Brown will replace Todd Orlando, who left for the same position at Florida International.

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    No, because rarely do problems from one school follow a coach to another. Rich Rod was the latest example. What he did at West Veiginia was porbably worse than what he did at Michigan, but nothing ever came of that.

The fact of the matter is that this is very political. It could hurt USC's chances of getting their current penalties reduced, but no ther penalty would be tacked on. If this were Wake, Vandy, Washington State, Indiana, or some other school that does not bring in huge money to the NCAA, the NCAA would just laugh at these guys trying to get their penalties reduced, but it is USC. Even though Oregon and Stanford have made great inroads in the Pac 12, USC is still the big money maker out West for the NCAA, and no other school comes close. Oregon has now played in a Rose Bowl game and a N.C. game and lost both. USC did not lose Rose Bowls, and lost one N.C. game, which many think was the greatest N.C. game ever. The fact is that the NCAA is walking the tightrope. They want to show everyone that they mean business, but they do NOT want to lose the money making machine that is USC. It is not like the SEC, where you have several very good teams that draw huge television audiences. Let's face it. Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, and the rest of the SEC draws much more national attention than USC, Oregon, Stanford, and the rest of the Pac 12. If Alabama wnet on probation, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, or other teams would probably pick up the slack. With USC, there is no one to pick up the slack, as far a T.V. ratings and money goes.
    Cmon BigDaddy, be real.....never lost a Rose Bowl....that is true but the level of competition was less than desireable.....because of affiliation a second tier Big-10 team (Illinios a few years back) . As far as Kiffen goes he could face a 2 year suspension of in home visits with recruits as just one form of punishment....before you explode about my opinion remember, just because its not YOUR opinion it doesnt mean its wrong.

utmoody10

Kiffin is like a case of crabs for UT. Dooley is the shampoo but every now and then they seem to flare back up. With the Pearl situation and now Kiffin/Orgeron's recruiting violations coming to light I am ready for the punishment just to come so all the speculation can end.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

An absolutely great thread. Marking it for future ref.

utmoody10

Interesting tweet from Desmond Howard.

At NFL-Xperience and Phil Simms just threatened 2 hit me b/c I said his son was 1 of the worse QBs in the SEC. I told him "LET'S GO!"
    http://twitter.com/desmond_howard#

Its a shame the Phil cant handle the truth.

WorkHorse

Thank you Wrecktangle.

ALABAMA
    Offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio, the No. 4 rated player in the nation by Rivals has reneged on his commitment to Auburn and will sign with Alabama Monday. Kouandjio announced he would sign with Auburn on signing day but he never sent in the paperwork. After some deliberation, he decided the Crimson Tide was a better fit for his college career. Welcome Cyrus, we need you Bud.

GEORGIA
    The Bulldogs have added another member to their outstanding recruiting class, signing huge JUCO defensive tackle Jonathan Jenkins. The 6'4", 344 pound Jenkins played last season at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. Rivals has him rated the No. 7 JUCO prospect in the country. He is expected to become a starter at nose tackle. Georgia beat out Florida and Miami for his services.

NEBRASKA
    Some coaching changes may be in the works on the offensive side of the ball for the Cornhuskers. Rumors are floating around that offensive coordinator Shawn Watson and receivers coach Ted Gilmore may be on the hot seat. Secondary coach Marvin Sanders resigned last week and some think Watson and Gilmore may be next. Bo Pelini has denied there would be any offensive staff changes.

OREGON STATE
    Running backs coach Reggie Davis is leaving the Beavers to join the San Francisco 49ers. He has been with Oregon State since 2008 and has been given much credit for the development of running back Jacquizz Rogers. Davis and new 49er coach Jim Harbaugh played together in the NFL and have been close friends.

UCLA
    It was reported that former USC defensive coordinator Rocky Seto would be named the DC for the Bruins. Well, maybe not. According to the Los Angeles Times, Seto is no longer under consideration for the position. Randy Shannon, former Miami head coach was thought to be the leading candidate but seems that has been cooled. From the outside, seems UCLA needs to get their act together. Stay tuned.......

TATE FORCIER
    The former starting quarterback for Michigan has narrowed his list to five schools for possible transfer. He will be visiting Kansas State, Miami, Washington, Arizona and Montana this week. Some travel the young man has planned for such a short period of time. Forcier was beaten out of the starters job last season by Denard Robinson.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by HoldEmHook!! View Post
    Cmon BigDaddy, be real.....never lost a Rose Bowl....that is true but the level of competition was less than desireable.....because of affiliation a second tier Big-10 team (Illinios a few years back) . As far as Kiffen goes he could face a 2 year suspension of in home visits with recruits as just one form of punishment....before you explode about my opinion remember, just because its not YOUR opinion it doesnt mean its wrong.
    I should clairfy that statement. USC did not lose any Rose Bowl Games in the past 10 years. They also made a habit of crushing SEC teams, which is why no SEC team will play them. Just ask Auburn and Arkansas. Now that is not to say that USC could crush every SEC team it may play, but it does go to say that USC is the ONLY West Coast team that anyone cares about outside of the teams home town and State. How many people in Alabama care about any team west of Texas other than USC? Are people in Alabama really concerned about Oregon this season? Do they really care about Stanford? The NCAA knows this. They know the team that brings in all of the money, and that is USC.

Kiffin will NOT face any major suspension. You SEC people are going to have to get over the fact that Kiffin did the right thing by bailing out of Tennessee for USC. Comparing Tennessee football to USC football is like comparing a Hamburger to a New York steak. There is no comparison, and everyone knows that. USC is a much superior football school when compared to Tennessee, and anyone in their right mind would have made that jump. Tennessee could not even defeat UCLA, a 3rd rate Pac 10 team. I believe that Tennessee was 0-2 against the Bruins.

utmoody10

I should clairfy that statement. USC did not lose any Rose Bowl Games in the past 10 years. They also made a habit of crushing SEC teams, which is why no SEC team will play them. Just ask Auburn and Arkansas. Now that is not to say that USC could crush every SEC team it may play, but it does go to say that USC is the ONLY West Coast team that anyone cares about outside of the teams home town and State. How many people in Alabama care about any team west of Texas other than USC? Are people in Alabama really concerned about Oregon this season? Do they really care about Stanford? The NCAA knows this. They know the team that brings in all of the money, and that is USC. Kiffin will NOT face any major suspension. You SEC people are going to have to get over the fact that Kiffin did the right thing by bailing out of Tennessee for USC. Comparing Tennessee football to USC football is like comparing a Hamburger to a New York steak. There is no comparison, and everyone knows that. USC is a much superior football school when compared to Tennessee, and anyone in their right mind would have made that jump. Tennessee could not even defeat UCLA, a 3rd rate Pac 10 team. I believe that Tennessee was 0-2 against the Bruins.
    One of those losses to 3rd rate UCLA was under Kiffins watch

WorkHorse

Good debate BD and UT.........

I appreciate you guys keeping it friendly.

Fun read.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

One other note. This thread is an example of what sports forums should be about: a number of folks bringing their own information sets on a subject for the betterment of the whole with little or no conflict on dissenting opinions.

WorkHorse

I agree Wrecktangle. We have a good base of knowledgeable posters here at the Notebook and the list will grow in the future. Appreciate your comment.

SUPER BOWL PLAYERS
    The Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers each had a 53-man game day roster for the Super Bowl. Ever wonder where these players come from? The SEC had 17 former players; close behind was the Big Ten with 16; followed by the ACC and MAC with 13 each. Yes friends, the MAC comes in strong with 13 players. Next was the Pac-10 with nine.

OREGON
    Highly recruited athlete De'Anthony Thomas has commited to Oregon over USC. Wait til you hear the reason for his selection. Thomas who lives in Los Angeles witnessed a murder while attending a party and helped police identify the gang member in question. As a result, a hit was reportedly put on Thomas by members of the accused gang. Thomas then decided he would be better off in Engene rather than stay in Los Angeles. If I were in the same position, I might consider The University of Maine.

TENNESSEE
    The Vols have announced that by mutual agreement, defensive line coach Chuck Smith will not return in 2011. The reason given was that Smith wanted to pursue other career opportunties. Interestingly, Dooley and Smith were high school teammates and long-time friends. Guess you have to read between the lines.

GEORGIA
    After losing their offensive line coach to Texas, the Bulldogs will name Will Friend to fill the vacancy. Friend has spent the past four seasons as line coach at UAB. He will replace Stacy Scarles who left last month for the same position with the Longhorns. Friend played his college ball at Alabama.

ALABAMA
    Former Minnesoto head coach Tim Brewster has emerged as a candidate to become receivers coach for the Tide. Brewster was fired midway through his 4th season with the Gophers. He was a candidate for the Texas State job that went to former Alabama coach Dennis Franchione.

ALL-TIME UNDEFEATED, UNTIED REGULAR SEASONS
    1. Alabama 17
    2. Oklahoma 12
    3. Nebraska 11
    4. Michigan 10
    4. Texas 10
    5. Notre Dame 9
    5. Penn State 9
    6. Ohio State 7
    6. Pittsburgh 7
    6. Tennessee 7

utmoody10

TENNESSEE The Vols have announced that by mutual agreement, defensive line coach Chuck Smith will not return in 2011. The reason given was that Smith wanted to pursue other career opportunties. Interestingly, Dooley and Smith were high school teammates and long-time friends. Guess you have to read between the lines.
    Being rumored that Chuck Smith could possibly take a NFL position, maybe with the Titans. Former Titans linebacker Peter Sirmon will take Smiths place on the staff and coach linebackers while Lance Thompson will shift to coach the defensive line.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Speaking of coaching changes, Cal has chanced their entire offensive set up, naming Jim Michalczik as their new Offensive Coordinator. Along with that, Cal named Marcus Arroyo as QB coach. Associate Head Hoach Ron Gould will now become the "run game" coordinator, and Eric Kiesau will become the "passing game" coordinator. In other Cal coaching news, defensive backs coach Al Simmons left, and Wide Receivers coach Kevin Daft was not asked to return this season. This is what happens when your team folds like a cheap tent the way Cal did last season. They failed to make a bowl game. Just to complicate matters at Cal, they have a five way bettle for the starting QB position. Brock Mansion (sounds like someone from the WWE) played five games last season, has the edge, but Mansion was not overly impressive.

utmoody10

More attrition for the Vols. Janzen Jackson has withdrawn from spring classes and its unclear whether he will return for the fall. DB Ted Meline has also withdrawn, OL Cody Pope's career is done due to medical issues and LB Jerod Askew has been dismissed for violation of team rules. The last three werent contributors dispite both Meline and Askew being highly touted out of high school. Jackson has been rumored to be on his way out for quite some time and that could be one reason why Dooley went after so many DBs in this past recruiting class (7 total). There is a window of opportunity for Janzen to come back but he has been dealing with "personal issues" since the end of last season, I'm not getting my hopes up.

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0

I should clairfy that statement. USC did not lose any Rose Bowl Games in the past 10 years. They also made a habit of crushing SEC teams, which is why no SEC team will play them. Just ask Auburn and Arkansas. Now that is not to say that USC could crush every SEC team it may play, but it does go to say that USC is the ONLY West Coast team that anyone cares about outside of the teams home town and State. How many people in Alabama care about any team west of Texas other than USC? Are people in Alabama really concerned about Oregon this season? Do they really care about Stanford? The NCAA knows this. They know the team that brings in all of the money, and that is USC.

Kiffin will NOT face any major suspension. You SEC people are going to have to get over the fact that Kiffin did the right thing by bailing out of Tennessee for USC. Comparing Tennessee football to USC football is like comparing a Hamburger to a New York steak. There is no comparison, and everyone knows that. USC is a much superior football school when compared to Tennessee, and anyone in their right mind would have made that jump. Tennessee could not even defeat UCLA, a 3rd rate Pac 10 team. I believe that Tennessee was 0-2 against the Bruins.
    In my humble opinion, YOU way over-value your USC trojans, I believe that winning is the proof in the pudding here and I think there is a certain conference that has dominated the national championship for a very long time. You are correct that we people in Alabama realy dont care about teams west of Texas and as soon as a team from west of Texas becomes relivant then we would care....As far as Kiffin goes, well, he did the right thing if it means running like a scared little girl because he saw the writing on the wall that he and his staff couldnt compete in the SEC. You say the right thing, I say the actions of a coward.....Roll Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WorkHorse

MICHIGAN
    New coach Brady Hoke has finalized his Wolverine coaching staff. Hoke anounced yesterday the hiring of Curt Mallory as defensive backs coach and Jerry Montgomery as defensive line coach. Mallory spent the past four seasons as defensive coordinator at Illinois (2007-09) and Akron (2010). Montgomery was Wyoming's defensive line coach for the past two seasons.

MARYLAND
    Former Miami head coach Randy Shannon will interview today or tomorrow for the vacant defensive coordinator job at Maryland. Shannon was thought to be the leading candidate for the same position at UCLA a few days back. His name was also attached to head coaching vacancies at Minnesota and Vanderbilt.

Maryland announced yesterday that they've hired Andre Powell as the new running backs coach. Powell has spent the past four years at the same position with Clemson.

WINCONSIN
    After losing highly touted quarterback Jacoby Brissett to Florida, the Badgers used the scholarship to sign QB Nate Hammon. Hammon accounted for 2,896 yards including 19 touchdown passes and 16 touchdowns on the ground. Most think he will wind up at wide receiver. Bet anyone a dollar that Brissett transfers after two years. Florida also signed QB Jeff Driskel, the No. 1 rated QB in the nation and after watching him in two all-star games, he's the real deal. Will play next year for the Gators.

KANSAS
    Wide receiver Chris Omigie was arrested Sunday for operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol. Omigie is a redshirt freshman who played in 10 games last season. Head man Turner Gill said discipline will be handled internally. I remember last year I had a thread on just alcohol, drug, fighting etc. arrest....got to be a long list. This was at another network.

KENTUCKY
    Former Wildcat quarterback Andre Woodson and former wide receiver Glenn Holt have rejoined Kentucky as student assistant coaches. Both have enrolled for the spring semester. Woodson spent time with the New York Giants and the Washington Redskins after a record setting career at Kentucky from 2004-07. He will work with Wildcat quarterbacks.

ALABAMA
    After interviewing a number of candidates, Nick Saban has named Mike Groh as receivers coach. Groh spent last season as quarterback's coach at Louisville. Before that, he had been an assistant on his dad Al Groh's staff at Virginia. Many coaches were interested in this position.

ALL TIME BOWL APPEARANCES
    1. Alabama - 58
    2. Texas - 49
    2. Tennessee - 49
    3. Southern Cal - 48
    4. Nebraska - 47
    5. Georgia - 46
    6. Oklahoma - 44
    7. Penn State - 43
    8. LSU - 42
    8. Ohio State - 42
    9. Michigan - 40
    10. Georgia Tech - 39
    10. Florida State - 39
    11. Arkansas - 38
    11. Florida - 38

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Well, if a SEC team would schedule USC, and actually defeat them, you may have an argument. The SEC teams are afraid to schedule USC because they know they cannot defeat USC. It is really that simple. The bottom line is this. USC is the ONLY team that fans East of the Rockies care about. The SEC has Alabama, Florida, Georgia. LSU, and to a lesser extent, Arkansas, Auburn, and Tennessee. All are well known teams on the West Coast and share differing amounts of popularity. The Big 10 has Ohio State, Michigan, and now Nebraska. THe ACC has Florida State, Miami, and Va. Tech. The Big 12-2 has OU and Texas. The Pac 12 has USC. Oregon is a late comer. Stanford is O.K, for a school with a 50,000 seat stadium. No one else cares about the rest. My point is that if Oregon goes to Tuscaloosa to play 'Bama, the game sells out, and is on national T.V. If USC goes, the game sells out, it is on national T.V, and the scalpers get $1000.00 a ticket. That is the difference. Look at the above bowl appearance record. There is USC, one back of Texas and Tennessee. You also have Oklahoma and Nebraska from the Big 12, though Nebraska has now jumped to the Big 10. You have Alabama and three others from the SEC, though part Arkansas's record came from the old Southwest Conference, as did Texas's. You have Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State from the Big 10. You even have Florida State and Georgia Tech from the ACC. Who do you have from the Pac 12 besides USC? NADA.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 02-08-11 at 09:38 AM.

WorkHorse

AUBURN
    The Tigers announced its 2011 football schedule Tuesday, and it includes seven home games, highlighed by the annual Iron Bowl clash with Alabama. Football Championship Subdivision Samford will be Auburn's homecoming opponent November 19th. Nice Auburn, help keep the money in-state.

TENNESSEE
    Vols backup quarterback Nash Nance is recovering from surgery on his left foot. It is uncertain whether Nance, a freshman from Calhoun, Georgia, who redshirted during the 2010 season, will be ready for the Volunteers' spring practice.

GEORGIA
    A Georgia spokesman says Washaun Ealey is still on the team following reports the tailback has been indefinitely suspended. ESPN reported coach Mark Richt indefinitely suspended Ealey from offseason team activities after Ealey failed to show up for disciplinary running.

OLE MISS
    Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt says receiver Jesse Grandy has decided to leave the program after the spring semester because of a family illness. Grandy, a 5-foot-10, 165 pound sophomere, caught 20 passess for 224 yards and a touchdown last season.

VIRGINIA
    VIRGINIA football coach Mike London has suspended three players indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team. The suspensions announced Tuesday are: junior linebacker Ausar Walcott, who started in all but one of Virginia's 12 games in 2010; junior cornerback Devin Wallace, who started seven games; and junior center Mike Price, who appeared in two games.

First 123456 ... Last