GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Who is going to beat Jon Jones?!?!

Wow... I just witnessed one of the most incredible performances to date

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

the only guy i can think of with a shot is phil davis...

KCJMAC
    MMA
    KCJMAC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Rashad. Also, Machida.

Congrats to the new champ, but he may find that keeping that belt is harder than winning it. Should make for exciting fights either way, though.

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

This guy is unbelievable... his length, speed, strength, etc/All the above is like nothing anybody else has... sure Spider makes for some amazing fights, but Jones looks like a mutant Anderson Silva

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Tito Ortiz

xelance
    xelance's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Tito Ortiz
    that was great

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by xelance View Post
    that was great
    ha He's probly got about as good a chance as anybody else in the division!

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tito Ortiz
    I wouldn't mind seeing this fight. Would be a nice exit out of the UFC for Tito.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

At this point I think no one... but I'd love to see him fight Anderson before it's too late.
    Phil Davis would get worked.

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    the only guy i can think of with a shot is phil davis...

This. We were talking about it after the fight, and that's the best name I could come up with.

Davis still has a ways to go, but he has the tools. No doubt about it. He's probably bigger then Jones and more athletic to. And we've seen him pull off a submission that was so sick they named it after him, so his ground game isn't lacking.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Tito Ortiz
    lol. I don't think we'll hear Tito say "I want my title back" anymore. Tito couldn't handle Hamil, a guy that Jones manhandled. Tito's time is numbered

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Going to be some guy we never heard about, some 5-6 years from now, and at that time some will say that Jones was overrated all along

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

I think jones is too damn big for that division. He needs to move up and fight guys his own size! I don't think he would run through the heavy weights like that! You never know until you see it thoughm because I didn't think he would run through Shogun either. haha

jacktheknife
    jacktheknife's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16896

If Bruce Buffer gets the sack to call him the UNDEFEATED, undisputed champion, I'll make his brother kneel down and kiss his Georgio Brutini's.

jizay
    Update your status
    jizay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

This is the EXACT same kind of talk there was after Machida won the belt. Jones is great, but not invincible, and someone will figure him out.

LearningTree
    LearningTree's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Phil Davis is on his level athletically but I don't think he's as well-rounded...but he's the only guy that's on that level.

KCJMAC
    MMA
    KCJMAC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Quote Originally Posted by jizay View Post
    This is the EXACT same kind of talk there was after Machida won the belt. Jones is great, but not invincible, and someone will figure him out.
    Well said. History says that whoever is the 205 champ now won't be in 12 months. Chuck was the last to hold the belt that long, back in 2006.

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

Jones will be able to defend easily. He might face adversity when he moves up to heavyweight.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think machida jones would be fun

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1926

Jon Jones will be on a long winning streak like Anderson Silva.

knownone
    knownone's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jones is just an anomaly he's the only guy in my 10 years of watching MMA that wins fights almost entirely on reach, His takedown success and his striking are solely predicated on the fact that he has close to 1 foot reach advantage against everyone.
    To put it short he basically overwhelms people into submission.

I hope for his sake he can keep making 205 because I don't see him competing with anyone top 5 at heavyweight in fact I have a hard time seeing him beating anyone in the top 10.

As it stands though I don't see anyone beating Jones at LHW, I could see people making the argument for Phil Davis and to be honest I can see that happening we don't know how good Jones is off his back but damn Phil Davis is a huge LHW and hes is giving up 6 inches of reach it just doesn't seem fair at this point.

FindTheLock

Roy Big Country Nelson, JDS, Cain, Lesnar, Mir, Overeem, Carwin and possibly Anderson Silva if he bulked up a little bit. Pretty much any decent heavy weight, because they would neutralize the size advantage Jones has on every LHW.
    Last edited by FindTheLock; 03-20-11 at 02:19 AM.

Poppa Catfish

Somebody has to be a Nelson fan, otherwise how does he make that list? anyways

3 years later, after defeating all those listed......

"Pretty much any cheetah could neutralize his ridiculous speed advantage, its time he switched species divisions. Its not fair throwing him in against these slow ass Heavyweight humans!"

FindTheLock

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    Somebody has to be a Nelson fan, otherwise how does he make that list? anyways

3 years later, after defeating all those listed......

"Pretty much any cheetah could neutralize his ridiculous speed advantage, its time he switched species divisions. Its not fair throwing him in against these slow ass Heavyweight humans!"
    I put Nelson on that list because he's fat and has awesome BJJ. Jones wouldn't be able to control nelson with that big ol belly on the ground. I would like to see that fight!

Poppa Catfish

he's fat, has good BJJ, and somehow also has really decent cardio. I'm not hating on the guy, just don't think he is really in those other guys' league. I'd like to see that fight as well though.

RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anderson silva

Firefox14
    Firefox14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by knownone View Post
    Jones is just an anomaly he's the only guy in my 10 years of watching MMA that wins fights almost entirely on reach, His takedown success and his striking are solely predicated on the fact that he has close to 1 foot reach advantage against everyone.
    To put it short he basically overwhelms people into submission.

I hope for his sake he can keep making 205 because I don't see him competing with anyone top 5 at heavyweight in fact I have a hard time seeing him beating anyone in the top 10.

As it stands though I don't see anyone beating Jones at LHW, I could see people making the argument for Phil Davis and to be honest I can see that happening we don't know how good Jones is off his back but damn Phil Davis is a huge LHW and hes is giving up 6 inches of reach it just doesn't seem fair at this point.
    This is exactly why they need a division in the middle. Still don't understand why it has not yet been implemented (say 235lbs). I only see Jones losing to a solid striker. We still don't know how good his chin is to date.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

does Rashad have any chance, Rua is 6' 1" and looked so much smaller than Jones 6'4". Rashad is 5'11" this guy is gonna look for a leg and try to hang on all fight

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

@ Rashad.

The guy is only good for 2 rounds before he gasses. People expect him to beat Jones in 5?

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1926

Jon Jones vs Anderson Silva at catch weight.
    Now that's exciting like the potential GSP vs Anderson Silva fight.

knownone

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox14 View Post
    This is exactly why they need a division in the middle. Still don't understand why it has not yet been implemented (say 235lbs). I only see Jones losing to a solid striker. We still don't know how good his chin is to date.
    Problem being there are no solid strikers at LHW who have anything over 75 inch reach which really screws with ones technique.

I'm interested to see this guy exposed I have yet to be impressed with anything but his size so i'm sure someone will get it him soon.

xelance
    xelance's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

yet to be impressed with anything but his size? ok

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

Quote Originally Posted by knownone View Post
    Problem being there are no solid strikers at LHW who have anything over 75 inch reach which really screws with ones technique.

I'm interested to see this guy exposed I have yet to be impressed with anything but his size so i'm sure someone will get it him soon.

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox14 View Post

I think you will see no 235 for foreseable future because HW would be too thin. Wat too many HW would cut down to 235. Still not enough talent and depth with the big guys.

knownone

Quote Originally Posted by xelance View Post
    yet to be impressed with anything but his size? ok
    Please explain to me what else I should be impressed by? The guy has freakish length and a huge reach advantage which allows him to be unpredictable with his striking it also makes his fairly untechnical striking look masterful why? because fighters like Shogun and Bader have to telegraph punches in order to get into range while jones has a good 6 inches or so of leeway to read and react.

His takedowns and ground game are also effected by his length, He can punch you in full guard he can sink his hips and use more leverage in his take downs than your average 205'er can handle; Strength + Leverage will beat Technique and given his length Jones can create a lot of leverage.

Given that Jones walks around at about 240 when he's not in camp and his frame is more fitting of a HW than a LHW I find myself comparing him to JDS and Cain who both weigh around 240 themselves (and they don't cut) it's very hard for me to see him competing and winning against fighters he doesn't have significant size and strength advantage against.
    Do you think Jones could handle Cain? or Strike with Dos Santos?

Honestly if you take 6 inches off Jones reach do you really think he'd have the title at this point in his career?
    I certainly don't.

1234 Last