ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Strikeforce is Better than UFC!!!!

Anybody getting bored with the recent UFC shows? I used to order every pay-per-view event. Lately has been really boring. They have too many show and the product is getting watered down with a bunch of wrestlers that want to just lay on people to get a win. That Strikeforce show sat night was amazing. Just what the UFC used to be.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

I think it's worth baring in mind that every fighter who won on that Strikeforce card was a big favourite and it was likely that Hendo would KO Sobral, likely that Lawler would KO Lindland and likely that Daley would KO Smith. Yes they wer all spectacular and alot more entertaining than the TUF Finale but that wasnt suprising due to the style matchups.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    I think it's worth baring in mind that every fighter who won on that Strikeforce card was a big favourite and it was likely that Hendo would KO Sobral, likely that Lawler would KO Lindland and likely that Daley would KO Smith. Yes they wer all spectacular and alot more entertaining than the TUF Finale but that wasnt suprising due to the style matchups.
    I see what you mean and you are right. Still, ufc fights have become very boring and the fighter pool is very watered down. How is this clown Koschek in a main event?? Are you f-cking serious??!!

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    I see what you mean and you are right. Still, ufc fights have become very boring and the fighter pool is very watered down. How is this clown Koschek in a main event?? Are you f-cking serious??!!
    With the new lighter weight classes u'l see a lot more entertaining fights (WEC was the most entertaining promotion IMO), just look at the Garza Paixao fight from the other night for instance (that KO was more brutal than any of the strikeforce KO's). I agree the likes of Koscheck and Hardy aren't at the level of GSP and perhaps shouldnt be main event fighters, but who else are they gonna give GSP!?

ttrace35

I miss the Pride days. Best mma organization ever.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Im looking forward to the K1 Grand Prix final the most next weekend. Gokhan Saki's gonna tear it up!

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

So in this thread we have leanerd that MMA is the most entertaining when the fights are miss matches. Put Scott Smith or Matt Lindlan in with a hard punching fighter and most likely you'll have a great outcome

Thats why man people miss PRIDE Wandy and CroCop beating up on a bunch of cans. When was Anderson silva most entertaining? when he was wrecking cans like Leben and James Irvin. Now its not alwasy the case but you have to admit when you have 2 evenly matched fighters it does not always make a great fight.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Im looking forward to the K1 Grand Prix final the most next weekend. Gokhan Saki's gonna tear it up!
    He'll have a very tough test in Daniel Ghita. Both fighters are incredible, but I like Ghita to win.

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

who the **** cares if it is UFC or Strikefore, just give me great entertaining fights. What i like about ufc is they give me actions to bet on since they have lots of fighters. Strikeforce on the other always give me the probs to bet on KO, because they clearly wants people to get KO ,apparently fix isnt a surpise with this organization.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by lasker View Post
    He'll have a very tough test in Daniel Ghita. Both fighters are incredible, but I like Ghita to win.
    Agreed Ghita is a beast and should probly be the favourite. Im just hoping that Gokhan finishes him with one of his crazy combos, tho I expect it to go to decision.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    So in this thread we have leanerd that MMA is the most entertaining when the fights are miss matches. Put Scott Smith or Matt Lindlan in with a hard punching fighter and most likely you'll have a great outcome

Thats why man people miss PRIDE Wandy and CroCop beating up on a bunch of cans. When was Anderson silva most entertaining? when he was wrecking cans like Leben and James Irvin. Now its not alwasy the case but you have to admit when you have 2 evenly matched fighters it does not always make a great fight.

You have a good point but at the same time, some of the best fighters came from pride and Japan. I remember in 2003, Dana White came to Japan with Chuck Liddell and a million dollars of his own money. He thought Chuck would walk thru Pride and win their tornament. Chuck knocked out Overeem(I thinkn hard to remember). Then Rampage knocked out Chuck. Ever since then, Dana has been on a mission to steal the Pride fighters because he knew they were better. .

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

strikeforce doesn't always deliver like it did this weekend, but they are definitely gaining some steam now though, they can compete with UFC.

Powderguy
    Powderguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

AWESOME!

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Powderguy View Post

AWESOME!
    Great video. If anyone missed the Strikeforce that video pretty much sums it up.

Vrakas
    Vrakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8912

stikeforce was awesome last week but the ufc should have some good fights this week.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tuf finale was pretty awful to be honest. the whole nam phan thing started it off with a bad taste and then a string of decisions. dont get me wrong, i dont mind decisions, but zero finishes on a card is a little meh. especially when i watch with a bunch of casual fans. when they are unhappy and complaining, its bad for the general mood.

MMAchicka
    MMAchicka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

I'm pumped for this weekends UFC fights. We used to order every fight and you have some good points about some fighters. I personally love wrestling and MMA gives them something after their college career is done.

RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

when strikeforce puts on a card, its there big names, the ufc over saturates the market with crap alot of the times, but the better talent ultimatly lies in the ufc.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderNation MMA View Post
    when strikeforce puts on a card, its there big names, the ufc over saturates the market with crap alot of the times, but the better talent ultimatly lies in the ufc.
    That's the whole point. UFC has too many shows.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    That's the whole point. UFC has too many shows.
    More shows there are the better for me, just means more money to be won!

99Boxster
    99Boxster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4394

I heard that Dana bet 250k on Chuck to win that 03 Pride Final Conflict. Chuck did KO Overeem. Then Chucks corner threw in the towel against Rampage. Then Rampage got KO'd by Wandy.

Pabinator
    Pabinator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 74

I wouldnt say Strikeforce is better, because its not. But Saturdays card was better than the UFC card on Saturday.

Much better talent in the UFC

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pabinator View Post
    I wouldnt say Strikeforce is better, because its not. But Saturdays card was better than the UFC card on Saturday.

Much better talent in the UFC
    Yee all 6 fighters in those 3 main fights are UFC cast-offs!

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the first few posts.

The UFC has by far the best talent and does the best job utilizing their fighters: putting on fights relevant to a meaningful title, grooming prospects, and putting on mid tier action fights designed to stimulate the viewer.

Strikeforce has too many prospects buried, outside the casual fans eye. Plus, they put on too many pointless fights with aging vets. Lindland and Babalu should be used as gatekeepers, baramoters for prospects. Not punching bags for the title contenders. The Kevin Casey fight does not fit the bill, Casey is not a legit prospect. The ROckhold fight made sense before the injury.

Paul Daley/Scott Smith, while an exciting finish would not have sniffed a UFC main card b/c Smith is not UFC material.

Not all fights are thrilling to the average person. Coming from someone who grapples, I enjoy many fights that the majority of people think are boring.

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

that's how i see it too, which is the only thing that sucks about the ufc-wec merger. i would expect less shows

ttrace35

Don't let that UFC cast off sh-t fool you. A lot of people simply just don't like Dana White. I mean, let's be real. The guy is an assh-le. Dana is paying the most money right now so he can still draw in the best. But as strikeforce gets bigger, the playing field evens more out. Semtex is a big draw anywhere and has leathal hands. Also, Scott Smith is not as bad as everybody thinks. Nick Diaz is a beast. Would compete with the best of them in the UFC. Another ufc cast-off but has gotten better since he knocked out Robbie Lawler back in like 01.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Ive got nothing but respect for Dana. I dont understand how people can think he's such an asshole, I'd much rather have somebody like him who tells it how it is and is hands on rather than a president who sits in the background, keeps quiet and does nothing.

So do you think Lindland, Babalu, Lawler, Smith could hang in their respective divisions within the UFC today? Hendo could probably still be a top 10 and Semtex is a big draw but would lose to any UFC welterweight with half decent wrestling...the likes of Ellenberger, Pierce, Fitch would beat him reasonably comfortably in the same manner as Koscheck did. Guys like Woodley, Beerbohm and Wilcox are decent prospects but as Terpkeg pointed out, it seems Strikeforce are more interested in putting on mismatches that are "entertaining" rather than giving these prospects big names like Daley. For instance, Im pretty sure Daley wont get Woodley next because they know that there would be a good chance that Woodley uses his wrestling and grinds out an unentertaining decision win. Whether this is a good thing or not I dont know but doesnt seem very sustainable IMO.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

I believe most MMA consumers don't want to watch grappling matches or 2 counter punchers dancing around waiting for the other to make a mistake. They want to see one-sided beatdowns, brutal KO's and slick submissions. It's the same as other sports. More people are entertained by explosive offenses than they are by staunch defenses.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

i`m not a white fan.....that whole b.s. thing with him training to box ortiz....and watching him try to coerce nick ring into fighting during tuf with what may well have been a career threatening injury....then axing gerald harris for no good reason after 3 stoppages in a row...

and i personally believe that dana`s shenanigans contributed mightily to several bullshit decisions of late(certainly the garcia win...he won it on aggression,right?...lol) ...

i personally think he`s too much out front...i think he believes he`s the show.....

he`s not...he`s annoying...he`s a used car salesman...a carnival barker...
    i`m hoping like hell that strikeforce...or bellator with their new t.v. deal...can become big enough to buck the ufc at some point...or at least become a realistic alternative...

having this bald headed gobshite completely corner the mma market would be a bad idea....

competition drives every market...
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 12-07-10 at 05:15 PM.

head_strong
    head_strong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 500

who cares...pound for pound im the baddest fker on the east coast

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Strikeforce can potentially get better. Dana White is going to have a lot more fighters in the UFC because of the merger and has said they could be considering cutting fighters after one loss. Depending on situations they might be letting go of many fighters over time and if Strikeforce picks the right guys up they can definitely make some good cards. Unfortunately, even though this could be good news for Strikeforce it could also be bad because the UFC could be picking up more guys off Strikeforce by letting their weaker guys go. Either way, the way things are supposedly going to be run there will always be room for other MMA organizations.

ttrace35

I used to love the tornament style of fighting. Early days of ufc and pride. That was some real warrior shit. Probabaly why I think a lot of the pride fighters were better. I remember Rampage having to fight Chuck Liddell and winning. Then getting knocked the f-ck out by wandelei silva. All in the same night. Gladiator sh-t.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by urge2kill View Post
    I believe most MMA consumers don't want to watch grappling matches or 2 counter punchers dancing around waiting for the other to make a mistake. They want to see one-sided beatdowns, brutal KO's and slick submissions. It's the same as other sports. More people are entertained by explosive offenses than they are by staunch defenses.
    Very true about it being the same in other sports, soccer is a good example. Dont know how many of you like soccer/football but Im in the minority in England as I support an Italian team (Juventus) and much prefer Italian football and most other European leagues over the Premiership. There is the misconception that Italian football is boring and all about defence. But I've always appreciated high level defending more than high level attacking. Same with MMA, I'd prefer to watch a technical and tactical battle between Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard or Edgar and BJ Penn over a Paul Daley vs Scott Smith.

ttrace35

Last saturday is a perfect example of the ufc having too many shows. This card sux. Should have been on free tv. Watch how much of a joke the ufc will become. What a wack pay-per-view event.

1234 ... Last