NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
    Does being Samoan affect his Chin?
    He's referring to the many scientific studies that have proven conclusively that a large head = an inability to be knocked out. That's science bro, you can't argue with that.

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    He's referring to the many scientific studies that have proven conclusively that a large head = an inability to be knocked out. That's science bro, you can't argue with that.
    Big foot Silva was the outlier on that one

I remember the study very well

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Joe Rogan proved it early in the UFC, when he stated that Wesley "Cabbage" Correira could not be knocked out due to the size of his cabbage head.

34 fights later, Cabbage is still going strong with Zero losses by ko!

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Wesley-Correira-2829
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Sykes

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Hahha Biggest head on planet-earth!

Beelzebubzy

Henderson and Edgar don't have a big head but they have great chins

Cain has a big head and lack of chin

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

The overall sensitivity of the nerves system goes up after a long career with head trauma, thats why old fighters like nogueira and chuck only need to be looked at before they drop. If you have a totally fit nerves system, the size of the head + a thick and rigid neck allows less motion which prevents getting koed. But...if you reached this point of your carreer where your nerves system is ****** due to injury, where neurons fire like crazy you will end up like chuck liddel anno 2010. You can have a head larger than the size of jupiter and it wont mean anything. So it is true, it helps up to a point to have a large head with a thick and short neck vs a thin and long head with a tiny cranium but whats matter the most are the health of ones nerves system, anatomical features is only secondary.

bjpenn85

i meant long neck obviously

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11913

Quote Originally Posted by latarianmilton View Post
    Hunt is just too good to get caught with that telegraphed overhand right even when gassed, roy has never caught someone as good as hunt with his overhand, plus his chin was just fine vs silva who is not pillowfisted.
    Point is hunt is a very experienced striker with a good chin to boot, hes also a counterpuncher to make things worse for nelson.
    It would be a dream come true if schaub got injured and nelson replaced him, i could make a lot of money on hunt specially because the public will be overrating nelson now.
    Chances are nether would knock each other out standing and both will then become very tired and gassed as the rounds go by.. Perhaps this would favor Roy as he could then maybe get a trip take down on a tired Hunt and sub him out.. Roy has the Jits and sub skills from the top position to sub Hunt.. Ground game favors Roy Nelson in that match up anyways...

Roy has a granite chin just like Mark Hunt.. I'd even venture to guess perhaps Roy could take that same head kick that knocked out Mark Hunt and still remain standing..
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 04-13-14 at 06:45 PM.

Beelzebubzy

Chael calls out Rich

Sad day for bubzy

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Nelson would find an angle on Hunt and TKO his ass...Hunt would rely on his chin and end up getting rocked walking into something

PaperTrail07

HaHa Chael just wants a fight Rich will prob step up......
    Chael calls out Rich

Sad day for bubzy

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Henderson and Edgar don't have a big head but they have great chins

Cain has a big head and lack of chin
    Cain has a really good chin, he walks right into bombs constantly on the feet because he's so aggressive and he generally handles it well.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Cain has a really good chin, he walks right into bombs constantly on the feet because he's so aggressive and he generally handles it well.
    Disagree. He's like Alvarez where he has a weak chin but recovers incredibly quickly.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Disagree. He's like Alvarez where he has a weak chin but recovers incredibly quickly.
    Did you see the bombs he ate from Junior in their third fight, though? Very first thing to happen in that fight was Junior landing flush with a shot and Cain walking through it. Getting dropped a lot doesn't necessarily mean you have a weak chin; even in the Kongo fight, the shots that hurt Cain were very powerful and he moved right into them. Cain's problem is entirely a defensive one, I think.

Skel
    Skel's Avatar Become A Pro!

There's definitely a correlation between skull size and "chin". The exceptions don't disprove the rule.

bjpenn85

sure, but its irrelevant if you have sustained a ton of damage. It is only relevant if youre head hasnt been rattled and degenerated for years. Gleison Tibau have a large head, short thick neck, but a long career of just walking through punches (like a boss), didnt stop MJ to KO his ass cold, so how relevant is it to talk about his skull size when his brain has a dysfunction? It was only relevant to talk about his anatomical feat. up until maybe last year..

MD

Quote Originally Posted by bjpenn85 View Post
    sure, but its irrelevant if you have sustained a ton of damage. It is only relevant if youre head hasnt been rattled and degenerated for years. Gleison Tibau have a large head, short thick neck, but a long career of just walking through punches (like a boss), didnt stop MJ to KO his ass cold, so how relevant is it to talk about his skull size when his brain has a dysfunction? It was only relevant to talk about his anatomical feat. up until maybe last year..
    Tibau's been chinny for a while, though, but there are a lot of factors involved in taking a punch, I agree. Lesnar's a great example; has the guy ever really been rocked badly? He took a beating from Carwin and his eyes were fully clear despite the fact that he was on his back eating bombs. Even against Cain, he seemed to just quit mentally, it was never a chin issue with him. He can take a hell of a shot, physically, but he has zero ability to handle the mental strain of it. There are some guys with so-so chins who can handle shots incredibly well because they react quickly and recognize immediately what's happening, with no sense of fear or hesitation. Wanderlei's a good example; he's chinny, but he's not entirely shot because he handles it so well.

There's a difference between being a fighter, mentally, and being a mixed martial artist, mentally, I think. GSP is an incredibly disciplined guy who worked really hard on reacting well when he takes a shot, and he's about as good as he's ever going to be at it, but you can still see him freeze up for a moment. You can tell that he's terrified and trying to hide it. A guy like Mark Hunt, on the other hand, doesn't react at all to getting hit. It's second nature to him, and the prospect of getting hit hard obviously doesn't frighten or intimidate him in the least. You can't teach that.

Dwil125
    Cormier Itd
    Dwil125's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Lol He didn't handle it so well against Kongo. Wasn't he dropped like twice in that fight?

MD

Quote Originally Posted by Dwil125 View Post
    Lol He didn't handle it so well against Kongo. Wasn't he dropped like twice in that fight?
    I did say "generally". It's a defensive issue and has a lot to do with his head placement, though he's shored it up a lot since the Kongo fight.

Can you get hit any cleaner than this? He was throwing his entire bodyweight into his right hand when Kongo caught him right on the chin with a straight punch. Look at Kongo's upper body, too; his feet aren't underneath him properly, but he's rotating his hips and shoulders into the punch. That's a classic counter punch, and a hell of a collision, and he eats another big right hand straight to the chin, flush, immediately after. At heavyweight. Cain displayed a very good chin and recovery here, IMO.
    Last edited by MD; 04-14-14 at 03:04 AM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

so many variables involved...its definitely not as simple as "he has a glass chin" or "he is very chinny!" Obviously, sometimes a fighter wades in to a punch and his forward movement/momentum increases the impact; sometimes a fighter gets caught when they are off balance; etc... Looks at Jeremy Stephens...guy has a granite chin and got caught by Yves Edwards counter when he was wading in and dropped like a sack of shiit. Md posted example above, Cain is moving forward in to the counter punch by Kongo...it isnt exactly surprising that he gets dropped! These guys are huge. I agree with Md that for a lot of these guys the issue is head movement and footwork rather than having glass chins....Bisping has been tagged/dropped a couple of times but has also shown great recovery

Wilbo86
    Wilbo86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2706

Haven't seen a Category 5 chin debate like this for a few years. Going to bunker down in the basement and wait for the worst to be over.

My worthless contribution? All of you have relevant points, you could say chin is multifactorial.

Last edited by Wilbo86; 04-14-14 at 04:19 AM.

Beelzebubzy

best chin in MMA

SAM STOUT

(probably just jinxed the fooker and noons is going to KO him)

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

If the back of Cains ear is considered his chin then yes he has a weak chin. If his chin is considered his chin then no freakin way anyone can say he has a weak beard. Cahmannn

PaperTrail07

Sometimes it is....Look at Henderson...then again everything can change in 5 seconds....Varner had an Iron chin until Trujillo landed that bomb......
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    so many variables involved...its definitely not as simple as "he has a glass chin" or "he is very chinny!" Obviously, sometimes a fighter wades in to a punch and his forward movement/momentum increases the impact; sometimes a fighter gets caught when they are off balance; etc... Looks at Jeremy Stephens...guy has a granite chin and got caught by Yves Edwards counter when he was wading in and dropped like a sack of shiit. Md posted example above, Cain is moving forward in to the counter punch by Kongo...it isnt exactly surprising that he gets dropped! These guys are huge. I agree with Md that for a lot of these guys the issue is head movement and footwork rather than having glass chins....Bisping has been tagged/dropped a couple of times but has also shown great recovery

MD

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    Sometimes it is....Look at Henderson...then again everything can change in 5 seconds....Varner had an Iron chin until Trujillo landed that bomb......
    Are you KushMoney? Serious question.

You're KushMoney right?

TheCalculator
    TheCalculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5633

Quote Originally Posted by Skel View Post
    There's definitely a correlation between skull size and "chin". The exceptions don't disprove the rule.
    This is a fact. Tie Domi (NHL fighting legend) proven example of this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/last-dy...0644--nhl.html

He needed custom made helmets.

Another example was this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE40JEoNCrk

His "super power" was a thick skull.

I also have a thick skull and I've never been KOed.

I wish we could get skull data on fighters.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Quote Originally Posted by TheCalculator View Post
    This is a fact. Tie Domi (NHL fighting legend) proven example of this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/last-dy...0644--nhl.html

He needed custom made helmets.

Another example was this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE40JEoNCrk

His "super power" was a thick skull.

I also have a thick skull and I've never been KOed.

I wish we could get skull data on fighters.
    My broad has the thickest skull i ever saw. She is also working out with a trainer. it would be awful if we started swinging and that thick skull took all my shots and she knocks me out. Then again i never been knocked out either and have a hard time getting to the second notch on a hat buckle.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

best chin in MMA

SAM STOUT

(probably just jinxed the fooker and noons is going to KO him)

Sam Stout does have the granite jaw!!! I think I've only seen him get wobbled once in all his fights.. He can take shots for sure..

He's a smaller guy though and at that weight the punching power decreases pound for pound....

Pound for pound I might go with Rampage Jackson or Nick Diaz.. Those guys just don't go unconscious period.... Roy Nelson and Mark Hunt are up there though since they are both true HW's and taking HW striking power..

Den Henderson was always granite until this last fight where he really got rocked and came back from the grave to win against Shogun..
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 04-14-14 at 07:10 PM.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Sam Stout does have the granite jaw!!! I think I've only seen him get wobbled once in all his fights.. He can take shots for sure..

He's a smaller guy though and at that weight the punching power decreases pound for pound....

Pound for pound I might go with Rampage Jackson or Nick Diaz.. Those guys just don't go unconscious period.... Roy Nelson and Mark Hunt are up there though since they are both true HW's and taking HW striking power..

Den Henderson was always granite until this last fight where he really got rocked and came back from the grave to win against Shogun..
    Unreal.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Unreal.
    MD -You think a light weight hits as hard as a HW when both are considered power punchers?

Well, If we really gotta break it down, regardless of power or weight - it's the punches you don't see coming that usually put you to sleep.. I can warrant though that the punches do come quicker and more lighting fast at the lower weight classes.. The HW's and Light HW's hit the hardest..

Head kicks all aside.. Then again the leg of HW is gonna be bigger then a leg of a LW.... Hmmmm? Kicking speed is probably faster though with the little guys..

PaperTrail07

lol no
    Are you KushMoney? Serious question.

You're KushMoney right?

MD

MD -You think a light weight hits as hard as a HW when both are considered power punchers?

Well, If we really gotta break it down, regardless of power or weight - it's the punches you don't see coming that usually put you to sleep.. I can warrant though that the punches do come quicker and more lighting fast at the lower weight classes.. The HW's and Light HW's hit the hardest..

Head kicks all aside.. Then again the leg of HW is gonna be bigger then a leg of a LW.... Hmmmm? Kicking speed is probably faster though with the little guys..
    I was just making fun of the way you phrased it, not trying to make any sort of actual point or anything. You said that punching power is lower pound-for-pound at lightweight than at, say, heavyweight. The intent of pound-for-pound is to compare fighters irrespective of weight class, so saying that one weight class is pound-for-pound less powerful than another is a like saying that the black sky is red.

If anything, lightweights are probably stronger pound-for-pound (in the literal sense of the phrase, not the modern resume-based rankings) than heavyweights; there's a diminishing point of returns in terms of musculature.

Intended as a joke, by the way, I wasn't taking a shot at you or anything.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

I was just making fun of the way you phrased it, not trying to make any sort of actual point or anything. You said that punching power is lower pound-for-pound at lightweight than at, say, heavyweight. The intent of pound-for-pound is to compare fighters irrespective of weight class, so saying that one weight class is pound-for-pound less powerful than another is a like saying that the black sky is red.

If anything, lightweights are probably stronger pound-for-pound (in the literal sense of the phrase, not the modern resume-based rankings) than heavyweights; there's a diminishing point of returns in terms of musculature.

Intended as a joke, by the way, I wasn't taking a shot at you or anything.
    Fair enough MD... I agree with what you are saying on the pound punching power analysis.. Perhaps I should not have said Pound for Pound.. Well, whether power increase with greater weight the head size and ability to take a punch stays close to the same in different weight divisions...

In simple terms - Can Sam Stout take a clean shot from Junior Dos Santos and still remain standing? Not sure? Can Roy Nelson get dropped by the best punch from a light weight power puncher in the UFC? Not sure..

I need to ponder on these thoughts.. Thanks MD for the discussion anyways!!!

TheCalculator
    TheCalculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5633

In simple terms - Can Sam Stout take a clean shot from Junior Dos Santos and still remain standing? Not sure? Can Roy Nelson get dropped by the best punch from a light weight power puncher in the UFC? Not sure..
    Ask any fighter that has fought in different weight classes and they will tell you there is a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE IN POWER in a 15 lbs weight class jump.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by TheCalculator View Post
    Ask any fighter that has fought in different weight classes and they will tell you there is a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE IN POWER in a 15 lbs weight class jump.
    I know.. It's a simple matter physics really.. Greater leverage, weight and mass in motion in other terms is gonna bring a stronger blow... This thread kinda turned to chin strength so I went with it...

The gray area perhaps is if chin strength between weight divisions increases or decreases with fighters? I guess your head, jaw and neck will be bigger in proportion to the larger and taller body, so with that being said the more head mass and body weight a fighter has this suggests that perhaps that gives you the ability to take a stronger punch..

First ... 7891011 Last