Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

September MMA NEWS

Anthony Pettis will meet TJ Grant, not Jose Aldo, next

By Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani on Sep 3 2013, 7:54p 14
    Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

Stay connected
    TJ Grant will get his lightweight title shot after all.

UFC president Dana White confirmed to MMAFighting.com on Tuesday that Grant (21-5) will meet newly-minted 155-pound champion Anthony Pettis (17-2) in Pettis' next fight. Yahoo Sports' Kevin Iole first tweeted the news.

White said a superfight between Pettis and Jose Aldo was never seriously considered because Grant "was next."

No word just yet when Pettis' first title defense will take place. That largely depends on the the results of an MRI he had on Tuesday on his left knee, however, those are unavailable at this time. Pettis said he thought he might have injured his knee before submitting Benson Henderson on Saturday night to win the lightweight title in his hometown of Milwaukee, WI.

The Canadian Grant was scheduled to meet then-champion Henderson at UFC 164, however, he pulled out of the fight due to a concussion suffered in training. He is 5-0 since dropping down to lightweight two years ago.

"I didn't expect to hear that so soon," Grant told MMAFighting.com. "What can I say? I am a happy man. It's gonna be a hell of a fight."

Grant said he found out the news via Twitter on Tuesday but doesn't know when the fight will take place. He won't be available to fight before late-December, he said.

Thor4140

Bad stylistically matchup for TJ. Coming off a concussion got to be the worst type of injury u could possibly have had.

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Vaughany actually fathered the new royal baby.

Beelzebubzy is fighting hard for his ownership of the 6th layer of hell.

Grabaka ate a great taco yesterday, and is looking for a stylish sombrero.

Gabe is being laughed at, because he is a comedian.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

damnn Josh Samman doesnt have much luck. His girlfriend died after losing control of her car and hitting a tree. Guy sounds suicidal

"Anyone that knows me knows that I fell so deeply in love with that girl from the day met her. She was my all. My inspiration, motivation, my heart. I had never met someone so breathtaking and special and I don't think I ever will again."

"Where do I go from here? How do I pick up the pieces? How do I stay strong when my motivation and person I was supposed to share life's joys with has been taken from me? Is grieving through social media even appropriate? How do I go back home to all of her stuff, our stuff? How do I escape the pain that is bound to define me for years to come? Will I ever stop being plagued by the "what ifs?" Feeling in a very dark place right now."

"It rips me in half to see her in my dreams only to wake up to this nightmare"

Lincoln graduate killed on I-75

A Lincoln High School graduate was killed in a car accident Friday while driving on Interstate 75, the Florida Highway Patrol said. Hailey Bevis, 22, of Tallahassee was traveling north when her Honda Civic began to rotate sideways and spun off the road, hitting a tree, according to a highway patrol news release.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Nate Diaz tryin to be an Alpha....

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Cedenblad...

Jycken tells the story:

“Five weeks before the fight I got hit with a knee on my ribs during practice. I got a crack in one rib so that the two following weeks I couldn’t train anything at all. I couldn’t jog or even take deep breaths because it hurt so much. And then I did one week of light training followed by half a week of hard training before leaving for Milwaukee. I was nervous since I’d only been able to grapple once during these five weeks and hadn’t been able to train properly for three weeks“

getlucky2win
    faded
    getlucky2win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1796

The Diaz bros obv need help wit their wrestling. I'm a fan of Diaz but I'm still gonna fade em vs any competent wrestler. Any news on nick?

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by getlucky2win View Post
    The Diaz bros obv need help wit their wrestling. I'm a fan of Diaz but I'm still gonna fade em vs any competent wrestler. Any news on nick?
    They really, really don't. Competent strikers are far worse matchups for them.

getlucky2win
    faded

C'mon man. Sure a gd striker will give em problems. Their lead leg is too exposed. Which is also a problem with takedowns. But they have a way better chance vs stand up guys than gd wrestlers. They also need to use some wrestling offensively

getlucky2win
    faded

I'm not sayin they don't need to work on their standup. Their footwork and defense can def b exposed. But if they face any wrestler they will end up on their back relying on their bjj

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

their attitude/mindset needs the most work

getlucky2win
    faded

R u guys trollin me? I gots to roll another 1

getlucky2win
    faded

So who would u guys like to see Diaz fight? Nate vs dos anjos. Nick v kampmann?

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    This might be on par with ur Kennedy /Vitor assumption.

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Cedenblad...

Jycken tells the story:

“Five weeks before the fight I got hit with a knee on my ribs during practice. I got a crack in one rib so that the two following weeks I couldn’t train anything at all. I couldn’t jog or even take deep breaths because it hurt so much. And then I did one week of light training followed by half a week of hard training before leaving for Milwaukee. I was nervous since I’d only been able to grapple once during these five weeks and hadn’t been able to train properly for three weeks“
    that a boy V. Share some of that news oh and maybe cut down a little on the Thor bashing

The iron sheik
    The iron sheik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I think it's still kind of silly that people still hold on to Condit-Diaz in a sense. Condit did expose Nick. Now, you may smoke all the weed you want and sympathize with the guy, but he got outclassed. Why Nick or a huge part of the paying audience doesn't want to admit that is mind boggling.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    that a boy V. Share some of that news oh and maybe cut down a little on the Thor bashing
    ha you know Im only tickling your ballz brah, much like Fury tickled Kalikas' after MMA Oddsbreaker hit a 100k subscribers

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

So who would u guys like to see Diaz fight? Nate vs dos anjos. Nick v kampmann?
    yeah Kampmann would be interesting. Or Matt Brown, or Lawler (if the silly ROry fight was already set up)

Nate vs Evan Dunham or Joe Lauzon

Grabaka
    Update your status
    Grabaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4034

Ron_Paul_2012
    Ron_Paul_2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3985

No comment necessary.

MD

I'm not sayin they don't need to work on their standup. Their footwork and defense can def b exposed. But if they face any wrestler they will end up on their back relying on their bjj
    Exactly. Their BJJ is much better than their striking, for the most part.

This might be on par with ur Kennedy /Vitor assumption.
    Or maybe you know so little about MMA that you can't even recall their records. Nick has only fought one wrestler in the last few years (and he stuffed just under half of GSP's takedowns, but I'm sure you didn't know that), but look at Nate. Arguably beat Stun Gun and Guida but lost split decisions, both world-class blankets. Destroyed Jim Miller. Got out-wrestled by Bendo, but Bendo absolutely battered him on the feet and almost KO'd him. Got KO'd by Thomson. Nate has been clearly beaten by one guy who primarily wrestled him in the last few years, and that was Rory MacDonald, a huge welterweight. The one wrestler that Nick has fought is the best wrestler in the sport, and he stuffed almost half of his takedown attempts. Against strikers, their results have been far worse.

Thor4140

Exactly. Their BJJ is much better than their striking, for the most part.

Or maybe you know so little about MMA that you can't even recall their records. Nick has only fought one wrestler in the last few years (and he stuffed just under half of GSP's takedowns, but I'm sure you didn't know that), but look at Nate. Arguably beat Stun Gun and Guida but lost split decisions, both world-class blankets. Destroyed Jim Miller. Got out-wrestled by Bendo, but Bendo absolutely battered him on the feet and almost KO'd him. Got KO'd by Thomson. Nate has been clearly beaten by one guy who primarily wrestled him in the last few years, and that was Rory MacDonald, a huge welterweight. The one wrestler that Nick has fought is the best wrestler in the sport, and he stuffed almost half of his takedown attempts. Against strikers, their results have been far worse.
    please i can pick and chose fighters also. The one that really comes to mind is BJ who prolly has some of the best hands out there and Nick handled him. As for GSP LMFAO. I notice in round two GSP was slowing down. Couldn't have been because of the Achilles injury could it have? Im sure u didn't notice this and thought NIck was stuffing them. If u couldn't tell GsP takens were being affected by that Injury maybe it is u who doesn't know much about MMA. U won't find one guy to support your silly theory just like you won't find one guy who thinks Tim Kennedy is a better striker than Vitor LMFAO

Ron_Paul_2012
    Ron_Paul_2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3985

please i can pick and chose fighters also. The one that really comes to mind is BJ who prolly has some of the best hands out there and Nick handled him. As for GSP LMFAO. I notice in round two GSP was slowing down. Couldn't have been because of the Achilles injury could it have? Im sure u didn't notice this and thought NIck was stuffing them. If u couldn't tell GsP takens were being affected by that Injury maybe it is u who doesn't know much about MMA. U won't find one guy to support your silly theory just like you won't find one guy who thinks Tim Kennedy is a better striker than Vitor LMFAO

MD

That is hilarious. First of all, despite Nick's big size and reach edge, BJ was outstriking him in the first round and won the round clearly, then he gassed and got destroyed for the rest of the fight. Second of all, "u won't find one guy to support your silly theory". You want to talk about silly theories, Thor? I'm surprised you were willing to take off your tinfoil body suit long enough to type this. I also like how you still haven't figured out that I was f-cking with you when I said that Kennedy is a better striker than Vitor, even though I was clearly baiting you because you were getting noticeably angry at the suggestion that Vitor is not a great striker, and even though I admitted I was trolling you not long after. Guess you missed that. Or maybe it was a conspiracy and I was trying to cover up that Tim Kennedy is the best striker in MMA.

Thor4140

That is hilarious. First of all, despite Nick's big size and reach edge, BJ was outstriking him in the first round and won the round clearly, then he gassed and got destroyed for the rest of the fight. Second of all, "u won't find one guy to support your silly theory". You want to talk about silly theories, Thor? I'm surprised you were willing to take off your tinfoil body suit long enough to type this. I also like how you still haven't figured out that I was f-cking with you when I said that Kennedy is a better striker than Vitor, even though I was clearly baiting you because you were getting noticeably angry at the suggestion that Vitor is not a great striker, and even though I admitted I was trolling you not long after. Guess you missed that. Or maybe it was a conspiracy and I was trying to cover up that Tim Kennedy is the best striker in MMA.
    Bullshit u meant that about Kennedy who ya kidding. As for Tin foil? Tin foil is making shit up and failing miserably about the point u are making. Tin Foil is not saying something before the fact and it coming true.

MD

Bullshit u meant that about Kennedy who ya kidding. As for Tin foil? Tin foil is making shit up and failing miserably about the point u are making. Tin Foil is not saying something before the fact and it coming true.
    I admitted the same day that I didn't mean that about Kennedy, but ok.

It's a good thing you use that definition, since you were expecting Cerrone to get robbed. It only counts when you say it's going to happen and you're correct though, right?

Name another good striker that Diaz has beaten. The best are KJ Noons and Paul Daley, the latter of whom brawled with Diaz and the former of whom beat Diaz badly at lightweight before moving up and losing to Diaz at 170.

Thor4140

I admitted the same day that I didn't mean that about Kennedy, but ok.

It's a good thing you use that definition, since you were expecting Cerrone to get robbed. It only counts when you say it's going to happen and you're correct though, right?

Name another good striker that Diaz has beaten. The best are KJ Noons and Paul Daley, the latter of whom brawled with Diaz and the former of whom beat Diaz badly at lightweight before moving up and losing to Diaz at 170.
    how about u name me the striker that dominated NIck? And i mean dominate. The only one i can recently think of was Daley for 5 seconds and then he knocked him silly. And im no Diaz nut hugger.

Thor4140

95 percent of Nates loses are to wrestling based fighters lol. Big Daddy is the funniest one. Just took him down and grind-ed him out

MD

how about u name me the striker that dominated NIck? And i mean dominate. The only one i can recently think of was Daley for 5 seconds and then he knocked him silly. And im no Diaz nut hugger.
    The standup wasn't even close in the GSP fight. I think Nick had one good round standing in the entire fight.

MD

95 percent of Nates loses are to wrestling based fighters lol. Big Daddy is the funniest one. Just took him down and grind-ed him out
    50% of GSP's losses are to Matt Sera. Fighters change.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

That's Matt "the terra" Serra Thank you very much.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

UFC 167 Sonnen Vs Evans at 205

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Stefan Struve @StefanStruve
    I DON'T consider retirement as an option, it's possible 2 come back from this & I'm gonna go for that & make it work! Just so you know

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

Kenny Robertson is the best striker in MMA

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

Mir vs Overreem at 167

1234 ... Last