moretti
    moretti's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4822

Quote Originally Posted by KR495 View Post
    Not your buddy, and read a book on it and educate yourself. Jake Shields Timothy Bradley, Diaz brothers, Mac Danzig and Jon Fitch are examples.
    Would You mind pointing out to the interested reader how they are examples for weightcuts being easier for vegetarians?

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Not your buddy, and read a book on it and educate yourself. Jake Shields Timothy Bradley, Diaz brothers, Mac Danzig and Jon Fitch are examples.
    Not your friend, pal, and "are examples"? Of what, exactly? Guys who can cut weight while vegetarian? Anyone can cut weight while vegetarian, doesn't make it more efficient. Jon Fitch is a good example of a guy who lost considerable amounts of functional mass after turning vegan.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Ben and Nate Diaz will be a solid main event fight. I really wished they'd put this fight on PPV as opposed to having it on free TV. While watching a Nate Diaz fight you see a 155lb version of Nick Diaz; short, nonstop strikes/combos with nasty ground n pound to compliment world class jiu jitsu. In Ben Henderson you see a durable fighter that can withstand punishment, land precise strikes, and has a solid jiu jitsu game. The weight cutting by Henderson will be a factor as he's known to walk around at 175lb during camp. Diaz on the other hand walks around at the same weight he fights at, if not the exact weight. The endurance and cardio advantage will go to Diaz as both he and his brother Nick have conditioned themselves as triathletes when not fighting. If the fight does go to the championship rounds, Bendo's large weight cut will play a factor. He becomes more vulnerable to takedown attempts and can be outpointed on strikes if Diaz throws the barrages of jabs,crosses and leg kicks and takedown attempts he's known to throw from rounds 1-5.

I have Nate Diaz outpointing Bendo and pulling the upset here.
    Y0U lost me here. Bendo showed no gassing what so ever in the five round fights with Franki. I doubt we see one take-down attempt by Nate so thinking Bendo's defense of the takedowns will be in jeopardy when the latter rounds present themselves, is insane to me.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

yeah Bendo has possibly best cardio in the division

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

Sure, if you get a nutritionist obviously that will help a lot. I thought more of cutting weight in general. I know its a lot of downside as well. B12 deficiency is only one for instance. lethargy etc etc

Dillonious Monk
    Dillonious Monk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3839

Nate.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    I would say Nate does... but Bendo is up there.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

I want Nate to win, but my gut tells me Bendo. Might just play Over 4.5 rounds, instead.

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

Did Nick Denis retire?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Nick Denis – Ninja Of Love Blog: …And Then What Happened?

By: Nick Denis
    I would like to think that I don’t have an ego. Sometimes though, I think it might just be so big that it can’t be hurt.
    I really believe in living life. I always tell people, quite casually, “follow your heart.” I don’t just say it for the sake of having words come out of my mouth, it is something that I truly believe in and do. I couldn’t imagine living my life and ignoring my true feelings and desires, just for the sake of living a ‘rational’ and safe lifestyle. That is why I quit my Ph.D. in biochemistry to move to Montreal, train full-time and make my way to the UFC.
    To me, it was the only available option. What other choice did I have? To graduate, get a research job, work in a lab and never really dedicate myself completely to my passion and dream? That just doesn’t make sense. You know, my girlfriend put it perfectly. I will put my own twist on it. Imagine going on a vacation to a far off land that you’ve been planning for all of your life. You get there, and for one reason or another, you don’t get to see or experience something that you really wanted to do. You go back home, and tell yourself ‘next time…’ We all know there is no next time, usually. Now, imagine if that was the only vacation you ever took your entire life. How horrible would that be? The one trip you have ever taken, and you didn’t get to experience what you wanted to. What a waste. Now, imagine that trip was your life. Imagine never doing the things you wanted to do. Whether it is a career choice, a random hobby, a personal goal, a trip, whatever. There is always a reason NOT to do something; timing isn’t right, money, risks, doubts, etc. You can rationalize any decision you want, but rationality can’t speak to your dreams and to happiness. You can’t rationalize your way to happiness.
    SO, with all that rambling, I am trying to say that I follow my heart. In doing so, I accomplished one of my goals. I made it to the UFC, signed a 5 fight contract, made an amazing debut, some said one of the best debuts in the UFC ever, and had a great second fight that I am very proud of, but ended up breaking my orbital bone and ultimately losing by submission with a second left in the round.
    I am going to hold those moments close to me, because they will be as far as my dream goes. I have decided to bow out of MMA.
    After my first loss, a devastating knockout where Marlon Sandro dribbled my head on the canvas like a basketball, I did lots of research on concussions. As a graduate student at the university of Ottawa, I had access to all peer reviewed scientific journals. No surprise to find that concussions = bad. However, I found something that had never occurred to me. Sub-concussive trauma. Basically, a blow to the head that doesn’t lead to a concussion. When it happens, you feel fine, andcontinue on. Maybe you feel like you just had a little brain scramble, nothing big. Those who spar, know what I am talking about. However these add up. They accumulate, from training session to training session, year after year. The research papers found that men who never had an actual concussion, rather only sub-concussive trauma, (they used football/hockey players) when brain scans were administered to them (can’t remember if it was mri or ct), their brain morphology was decayed like that of individuals with later stages of neurodegenerative disorders.
    I told myself that if I suffered one more concussion, whether it was in training, in a fight, or just slipped and fell outside on ice, that I was going to be done fighting. Well, over 3 years later, and I haven’t suffered a concussion. I told my best friend Nick, while climbing a never ending mountain in Petra a few months ago, before I made my decision to retire, that I hope one day I will get knocked out again. Funny, I know, but it would give me a sign of a definitive concussion. I would know for sure, decisively, and be able to follow my own rule and retire. But what if I never do get knocked out again? What if for the next decade I keep training hard and competing. I get in ‘wars’ and receive tons and tons of sub-concussive blows. Wouldn’t that be orders of magnitude worse than one concussion?
    In the last couple years, and especially in the last few months leading up to my May 5th fight, while sparring I would notice that when I got hit, it would affect me more and more. When I first started sparring I would run through punches unaffected. Not only that, but now training at Tristar, I am literally training with the world’s best. We are all training at the highest level, all for the same reasons. Could I fight in the UFC, against the best fighters in our solar system, literally trained killers, without sparring in training? Not really, so what was I to do? I have made the decision to retire.
    Some might judge, but that is fine. Maybe I have already suffered brain injury, maybe I never would have. That is the problem with the brain. You can’t really see the injury, it will take years and decades to manifest itself. When you get rocked in sparring, you shake your head and regain your composure, and within 10 seconds say ‘ok, I’m good let’s keep going.’ But are you actually ok? You are no longer dizzy, true, but do you have any idea what physical trauma your brain has just experienced? I have told this to a few people before. I make the analogy of my love for MMA as being a drug addict – I know that it isn’t healthy for me, but holy penetrate do I love it. I love MMA, and I have loved my experience with the UFC, Sengoku, and every other promotion along the way, but I am a human being first. I don’t define myself by my work, and nor should you. I am a human being, and I was born with only one brain, and I want to take care of it so that I will recognize the ones I love when I get older.
    The decision wasn’t that hard to make either. Yes, I am deciding to give up a passion of mine. A passion that I have sacrified MANY friends and relationships along the way for. Instead of going out at night, or to parties or what not, I trained or stayed in to make sure I got enough sleep and healthy food for the next day of training. But in the end I know I will find other passions. I already have plans to build an earth sheltered cordwood home, it has been something I have been obsessing about lately. Which is good, since I have an obsessive personality. I have a big question mark as to what I will do for work now, as I don’t really have much desire to work in a lab research setting, but I will figure something out.
    I would like to thank some people. I’d like to thank everyone at Ronin MMA. My first MMA coach, Ben Meireles. The instructors at Ronin over the years, Mark Loft, Sean Ragnitz, Phil and Karim, Felipe Heidrich, Jamie Helmer and of course my sexy friendly friend Wade Shanley for being with me all along the way. There are too many training partners over the years at Ronin, but you guys are awesomeness and know who you are. Nabil ‘the thrill’ for being a badass training partner, all the promoters that helped me out over the years, Ken Kupsch, Alex Caporicci, Nick Castiglia and Motoko. Robin Black for getting me signed to the UFC of course, and always looking out for me. Everyone at the UFC for sure, these guys are super professional, helpful and just generally great. Matt Veal for wearing beautiful banana hammocks. Bobby BKB for having a man crush on me . Dan Allaston, and new moon tattoo in Ottawa for sponsoring me from day one. My Montreal family, Firas Zahabi, Howard Grant, Kru Ash, Eric O’Keefe – these guys deserve all the praise they get and more. All my training partners from Tristar and Grant Brothers boxing, these guys are all killers and deserve to be on the biggest stage in the world. Of course I have to thank my family for accepting my fighter lifestyle (UG/OG shout out) and supporting my decisions. My brother Joe and sister Kim for following me around the world and watching me fight live, often loudly and drunkenly. Jen for supporting me and a pre-thank you for making me fat with all your yummy cakes and desserts! Of course to all the fans for supporting me, win or lose, especially in loss, that has been really special. Finally, a re-thanks to Wade Shanley, for being my friend along the way, and looking out for me and always supplying the grease!
    I am sure I missed 100’s of people, but I don’t take anything for granted, ever, and appreciate everything big and small that was done for me over the years.
    With all that said, I have some serious things to face. Like, without the UFC, is there a point to my twitter account? Stay tuned for my ninja romance book series and movies!
    Peace out xoxoxo <3 <3

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

GigaOuts
    Update your status
    GigaOuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7058

I doubt that, if he does he able to push the pace a bit better in 2nd Frankie Edgar fight. I think there is huge cardio different in the 1st and 2nd Edgar fight. No way he have better cardio than Nate if he come in like the last fight.

bjpenn85

was it gun shyness or lack of cardio?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

ha def not lack of cardio

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

ha def not lack of cardio
    I'm a bendo hater but he has unlimited cardio. It is up there with clay Frankie diaZ. If anyone needs proof see Cerrone fight1. The weight cut is and will be tough but cardio should not be an issue as this will be his 6th 5 round fight

GigaOuts
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by bjpenn85 View Post
    was it gun shyness or lack of cardio?
    If one of the two is true, than no way I am backing Bendo. If both are true, than Nate Diaz is a lock. I don't recall Donald Cerrone ever gass in all his fight, but he look gass coming into the 3rd round vs Nate. I am putting $$$($500) on Nate Diaz @+150, I got a feeling Bendo will gass going into 4th round. Nate put out a ridiculous pace, even Jim Miller start to gass and take deep breath in the 2nd round.

bjpenn85

if this fight ends i think nate diaz is the winner. I feel like nate diaz is slightly better than the rest at this point based on outclassing cerrone and jim miller, the problem is the judges suck so hard and that bendo is a tricky the style matchup for diaz. Anyway most title fight end up being pure kickboxing matches were the best striker tends to win except for gsp fight. Those are always pure wraaastling. I think of playing fight goes the distance hedges with diaz inside dist.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

I think it's going to be another very debatable decision win for Bendo

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Bendo will control the cage. If Nate pressures too much he will find his back on the mat getting controlled. Bendo's scrambling and sub defense is some of the best ever.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

I honestly think this will be Much easier for Bendo than Edgar.

GigaOuts
    Update your status

This why I am hesitant to post my pick and bet. Since there respect posters picking Bendo, I might lower my bet to 2 unit ($200)....lol

bjpenn85

How much are you banking on that to happen?

MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think it's going to be another very debatable decision win for Bendo
    agree... gonna be close me thinks, hard to call I've been leaning both ways as of late.

I think bendo will probably win a narrow d with his ability to get nate down, which I think he will be able to take him down. and because his sub defense is so great I have a hard time seeing nate putting bendo in a bad spot from his back. On the feet I think nate will obviously have the edge, but I don't think bendo is gonna allow the fight to take place on the outside for a prolonged amount of time where nate can fire off his bunches of punches... Bendo will look more flashy and more diverse, and I think he will sway the judges... BUT, I hope I'm wrong, I would love to see nate be the champ

MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm really curious what the rest of the odds are gonna be like...

I got a lot of fights on this card that I feel confident in picking a winner, a couple that I'll probably be willing to pay a juicy price for as well. Hoping to get some decent lines by the time they get on my book, keeping a close eye on a few dudes.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1926

Henderson by decision for sure.

bjpenn85

If youre losing to frankie edgar in a standup contest, you def lose against diaz.I think benson needs to shut diaz completely down in round 1 and 2, make diaz tired, and from there on and out you probably got a tired and less effective diaz. But i dont think its that easy. I think diaz will use his reach, make benson hesitant and uncomfortable. And luckily its a 5 rounder. diaz will get the opporunity to time the takedowns, and at one point in time, it wont be a grinding grappling contest. thats when diaz taking over. Remember most title fight become standup battles. Benson cant win this fight standing up. With bensons tendency to get a bit gunshy i dont think diaz is a very good style matchup standing up. Diaz always pressure his opponents and get under their skin as well.. "henderson by decision for sure" ill say thats as far from the truth you can get.

bjpenn85

Obviously that would be a 1.round KO, but yeah...

MD

Diaz has better cardio than Henderson, and if Henderson utilizes his leg kicks and some sound strategy, he can work Nate on the feet. I don't see why you'd think Nate has such a big edge on the feet. Frankie is also a better striker than Nate.

Henderson by decision.

bjpenn85

Leg kicks are a concern, and if benson start of with legkicks, blending in takedowns, locking diaz up to the cage..with a tip top gameplan i also se benson winning. I do think this will be a close on. But the fact that nate smokes guys, has that reach, and i dont see benson utilizes a perfect gameplan, ill have to side with diaz.

MD

My problem with this fight is that I think people are suffering from GSP delusions in regards to it. People like to pick GSP's opponents to beat him quite regularly, because they think there's a good chance of a flash knockout, or a miracle sub from the bottom. Look at the Condit fight. Lots of people bet on Condit; why? A guy with almost no takedown defence who isn't known for having amazing subs off of his back, against the best wrestler in MMA with arguably the best top game, who is also a very good striker. The reason is because people thought that Condit somehow had the ability to finish GSP, possibly. Despite conceding that GSP is just plain better and can control the fight, they were banking on Condit somehow finding a finish against a superior fighter. If the fighter in question weren't GSP, no one would be that foolish. It's something I like to call "big fight syndrome". Occam's Razor, buddies. If Henderson is the superior fighter and he should be able to manhandle Nate, and he should be able to take Nate down at will, and he should be able to rough Nate up with leg kicks, and he should win a decision if the fight is close because his style is favoured by the judges, and if he's bigger, stronger and faster... why bet on Nate? Let's not kid ourselves; we all know that Henderson can take Diaz down at will, and we all know that Diaz probably cannot submit Henderson off of his back. If Henderson has at least one (in this case, two) clear and easily achieved roads to victory, why do you think Nate wins?

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
    I'm a bendo hater but he has unlimited cardio. It is up there with clay Frankie diaZ. If anyone needs proof see Cerrone fight1. The weight cut is and will be tough but cardio should not be an issue as this will be his 6th 5 round fight
    i don't know what these guys are watching to think Nate is gonna win the cardio battle here. At no time have i ever saw Bendo gassing in any fights. I have seen nate look weaker in latter rounds tho.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    i don't know what these guys are watching to think Nate is gonna win the cardio battle here. At no time have i ever saw Bendo gassing in any fights. I have seen nate look weaker in latter rounds tho.
    Bendo gassed in the Cerrone fight (due to a "bad weight cut"; he collapsed after the fight and was taken to a hospital), and arguably in the Pettis fight also.

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

His first fight with Cerrone is the only time I've seen Bendo slightly fade. He was shooting sloppy takedowns in the 4th and 5th which Donald stuffed for the most part.

I initially scored the fight for Henderson but after re-watching it I gave Cerrone rounds 1, 4 and 5

PunisherIND
    myles jewry
    PunisherIND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9625

motivated bj

First 1234567 ... Last