SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Ted Williams averages over his career....

.344 Average--37 HR---130 RBI---127 Runs--OPS 1.116

Albert Pujols averages over his career...

.323 Average--39 HR---122 RBI--119 Runs---OPS 1.015

Miguel Cabrera

.320 Average--35 HR---122 RBI--104 Runs---OPS .960

And Ted Williams missed 3 years in the prime of his career to fight in WW2.

v0dka
    v0dka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 546

http://www.replacementlevelpodcast.c...is-generation/

So what does all this mean? Miguel Cabrera is not the best right-handed hitter of all time or of his generation but that doesn’t mean he isn’t great. He is. He is without a doubt on a Hall of Fame pace. He has the chance to surpass the career accomplishments of nearly everyone on this rather impressive list as he is still performing at his peak and likely has several great seasons ahead of him.However, looking the best right-handed hitters of his generation (through the age of 30) it’s nearly impossible to legitimately rank him ahead of Pujols or Thomas. A handful of others put up comparable numbers as well. That doesn’t diminish Cabrera’s accomplishments, he is among the best hitters of his generation, few can make that claim.
    Not everyone or everything is the best thing ever. Miguel Cabrera doesn’t have to be the best hitter ever to still be awesome and fun to watch. Let’s just appreciate him for what he is.

Inspirited
    Inspirited's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17864

i just have a hard time believing anybody with his stats are real these days

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

When he retires he will be known as one of the greatest ever who never cheated the game with roids

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

How are we so sure Miggy never did roids Smoke?

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Shit with all that he drinks his liver would have quit years ago. No secret around town he likes his pops.

Smoke

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Will all the testing they do now he would have been caught by now.

SamDiamond

I think Cabrera's off-season is more like Mickey Mantle's than Barry Bonds.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Will all the testing they do now he would have been caught by now.

Smoke

Whats so funny drinker

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

My smoker is so naive

Sorta reminds me how smoker falls for the "just the tip" routine every time

Smoke

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    My smoker is so naive

Sorta reminds me how smoker falls for the "just the tip" routine every time

They test drinker. Just like you get tested daily for STD's

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Cabrera's last 162 games: .351 avg, 47 HRs, 152 RBIs, 45 doubles, 221 hits, 122 runs. Goodnight.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Smoke

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

They test drinker. Just like you get tested daily for STD's
    Smoker just like miggy I know how to beat the tests

Smoker after I pound your butthole do you really think I'm clean???

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Cabrera's last 162 games: .351 avg, 47 HRs, 152 RBIs, 45 doubles, 221 hits, 122 runs. Goodnight.
    Sounds like a mediocre stretch for Barry bonds in the early 2000's

Smoke

Smoker just like miggy I know how to beat the tests

Smoker after I pound your butthole do you really think I'm clean???
    drinker im the monkey. spread your cheeks like the last 15 times. Im goin in

Smoke

Sounds like a mediocre stretch for Barry bonds in the early 2000's
    Bonds was juiced. Miggy not

GimpedMaster
    Go Cards!
    GimpedMaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 408

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    Ted Williams averages over his career....

.344 Average--37 HR---130 RBI---127 Runs--OPS 1.116

Albert Pujols averages over his career...

.323 Average--39 HR---122 RBI--119 Runs---OPS 1.015

Miguel Cabrera

.320 Average--35 HR---122 RBI--104 Runs---OPS .960

And Ted Williams missed 3 years in the prime of his career to fight in WW2.
    Exactly, Ted Williams doesn't edge Pujols by a great deal even though he played in an era where pitchers were far inferior to what they are today. There were no 'four pitch' pitchers back in the 40's, there were no advanced metrics, zone scouting reports to capitalize on hitter weaknesses like today.

Pujols and Miggy have done what they've done in spite of the best technology in the world trying to game-plan against them. Ted Williams would have some Joe Schmoe opposing him on the mound who would just get told 'go get 3 by ole Teddy' and that was his scouting report.

No comparison.

If Ted Williams played in todays era he would have Ichiro/Tony Gwynn type numbers at best, possibly a high average but he would lose most of his power numbers trying to compensate for pitchers that actually have a repetiore and can focus on his weaknesses.

HOT WINGS
    HOT WINGS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3651

Quote Originally Posted by GimpedMaster View Post
    Exactly, Ted Williams doesn't edge Pujols by a great deal even though he played in an era where pitchers were far inferior to what they are today. There were no 'four pitch' pitchers back in the 40's, there were no advanced metrics, zone scouting reports to capitalize on hitter weaknesses like today.

Pujols and Miggy have done what they've done in spite of the best technology in the world trying to game-plan against them. Ted Williams would have some Joe Schmoe opposing him on the mound who would just get told 'go get 3 by ole Teddy' and that was his scouting report.

No comparison.

If Ted Williams played in todays era he would have Ichiro/Tony Gwynn type numbers at best, possibly a high average but he would lose most of his power numbers trying to compensate for pitchers that actually have a repetiore and can focus on his weaknesses.
    Yes I agree it's impossible to compare players from different generations in any sport really. There's such a time gap all games evolve with time. When people look back at this generation of baseball (2000-2020 era) it's going to be Miggy and Pujols as best hitters of generation and maybe throw in Votto and couple others eventually. Bonds and A-rod will always be in conversation also but they will both always be tainted.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6898

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    0-4 W/L in the Series

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    0-4 W/L in the Series
    Add a triple crown and MVP to his résumé. He can only carry his team so far.

SamDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by GimpedMaster View Post

No comparison.

That's a stretch.

Cabrera is playing at a time when Scott Kazmir is still able to get a starting job.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

I think Cabrera's off-season is more like Mickey Mantle's than Barry Bonds.
    Sharp

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Cabrera is historically good offensively (i.e. wRC+ 200 is insane this year)....but unfortunately he is very mediocre to below average in most other facets of the game: speed, base running, arm strength, fielding, range....not even to mention his personal problems off the field (i.e. multiple drinking and driving violations). But since most fans do not care about anything other than offense, most people think he is the greatest player ever. Triple Crown is nice, but not as special as it has been made out to be. I think it was obvious that Trout was the best baseball player in the league by a wide margin last year but somehow the behind the times voters got it wrong. In fact, I thought there were a few National League players who had better years....but unfortunately baseball is so tied to tradition that it fails to see the full picture sometimes.

I think in terms of best players ever, I would rank Cabrera right now somewhere in the top 100, possibly top 75 or better depending how much you want to weight offense. To me, it still remains, Barry Bonds is by far the best player in the past 70 years and it is not even close. For a while, Pujols looked like he was going to assume that title but he has fizzled out. It's extremely hard to be an elite player for 10+ years in MLB.

But right now, 2013, almost everyone looks like a minor league player compared to Cabrera. It honestly astonishes me, just like last year, why the Tigers are not better than they are given their offensive weapons and probably having the best rotation in all of baseball.

GimpedMaster
    Go Cards!
    GimpedMaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 408

That's a stretch.

Cabrera is playing at a time when Scott Kazmir is still able to get a starting job.
    If Scott Kazmir of today got in a time machine and was sent back to the 40's... He wouldn't be the best pitcher in the league but he'd probably be a 15 game winner with his trick bag of angles and pitches hitters have never freaking seen before.

Again though, we really can't compare generation to generation because of things like this.

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

babe ruth ... joe d .. mantle .. williams .. gherig .. cobb .. all these guys say otherwise

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

the ballparks also back then were way bigger .. the mounds were higher .. the balls werent tightened so much like they are today

advantage hitters .. back then pitchers would throw double headers or every 3 days .. now a days the pitchers are rested throwing every 5 games .. 2 different eras of baseball that are hard to compare .. i mean back then these guys were working another job in the offseason while half these players are in their summer homes come winter time on vacation with their family or whatever .. (unless you are mickey mantle and just drink your life away anyway)

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post
    Cabrera is historically good offensively (i.e. wRC+ 200 is insane this year)....but unfortunately he is very mediocre to below average in most other facets of the game: speed, base running, arm strength, fielding, range....not even to mention his personal problems off the field (i.e. multiple drinking and driving violations). But since most fans do not care about anything other than offense, most people think he is the greatest player ever. Triple Crown is nice, but not as special as it has been made out to be. I think it was obvious that Trout was the best baseball player in the league by a wide margin last year but somehow the behind the times voters got it wrong. In fact, I thought there were a few National League players who had better years....but unfortunately baseball is so tied to tradition that it fails to see the full picture sometimes.

I think in terms of best players ever, I would rank Cabrera right now somewhere in the top 100, possibly top 75 or better depending how much you want to weight offense. To me, it still remains, Barry Bonds is by far the best player in the past 70 years and it is not even close. For a while, Pujols looked like he was going to assume that title but he has fizzled out. It's extremely hard to be an elite player for 10+ years in MLB.

But right now, 2013, almost everyone looks like a minor league player compared to Cabrera. It honestly astonishes me, just like last year, why the Tigers are not better than they are given their offensive weapons and probably having the best rotation in all of baseball.
    nice write up and all but maybe read the title of the thread

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Bonds was juiced. Miggy not
    and youd have said manny wasnt either back from 2000-2008 right?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

This thread said "better hitter," not "better player."

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    This thread said "better hitter," not "better player."
    Who cares? Every other thread on this board deviates from the original title.

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    babe ruth ... joe d .. mantle .. williams .. gherig .. cobb .. all these guys say otherwise
    Hornsby, Shoeless

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    With the exception of Mantle, all these guys played in a very different (i.e. much weaker) era of baseball. Cabrera would have been a .400 hitter basically in the era that Ruth and Gherig and Williams played in. I think Pujols is the best comparison you can make to Cabrera as a hitter.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

I think Pujols is the best comparison you can make to Cabrera as a hitter.
    name dat hueye

1994 91 290 51 78 22 0 17 60 42 72 4 2 .269 .357 .521 .878 1.4
    1995 137 484 85 149 26 1 31 107 75 112 6 6 .308 .402 .558 .960 2.6
    1996 152 550 94 170 45 3 33 112 85 104 8 5 .309 .399 .582 .981 3.9
    1997 150 561 99 184 40 0 26 88 79 115 2 3 .328 .415 .538 .953 4.3
    1998 150 571 108 168 35 2 45 145 76 121 5 3 .294 .377 .599 .976 5.0
    1999 147 522 131 174 34 3 44 165 96 131 2 4 .333 .442 .663 1.105 7.0
    2000 118 439 92 154 34 2 38 122 86 117 1 1 .351 .457 .697 1.154 4.6
    2001 142 529 93 162 33 2 41 125 81 147 0 1 .306 .405 .609 1.014 4.9
    2002 120 436 84 152 31 0 33 107 73 85 0 0 .349 .450 .647 1.097 5.8
    2003 154 569 117 185 36 1 37 104 97 94 3 1 .325 .427 .587 1.014 5.1

• FLA