frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Plus, it would have been great to see Djoker play the doubles. Instead, Czechs won 3-0 today with Bozo being the weakest link.

poet
    poet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Bozo is an apt name, as Serbia decided to clown around with their title chances today.

poet

Also, disagree with you on this one EP. If Djoker had played and they had won they would have all the momentum. Now they are basically hoping for Step to choke, which is not a sound strategy.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't think it would have mattered who they partnered in - Czechs had the better doubles team. Djokovic isn't a big advantage as a double player IMO. Berdych-Stepanek beat what would have been that team everyone suggested in four relatively easy sets a couple years ago and if you look at Djokovic's DC resume in doubles and doubles in general, it's not extensive nor does it have a lot of wins against experienced teams like Berdych-Stepanek. I think all it would have done was add more fatigue to Djokovic.

People assume top ranked players automatically are going to add something to a doubles pairing. It's a lot to ask of players who don't play doubles very often to step in and be ready. It's such a different game, you really have to have a feel for it and although Djokovic might have some feel, I don't think he's a guy who is that comfortable playing doubles. Guys like Nadal and Federer who play it fairly regularly in DC and more often in the regular season - even if it's just a couple tournaments - would add more to a team than Djokovic IMO.

Stepanek is a solid doubles player and Berdych just fit perfectly with him when they started playing some doubles a few years ago in DC. They've played a lot and know how to work with each other in the setting.
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 11-16-13 at 02:19 PM.

poet

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    I don't think it would have mattered who they partnered in - Czechs had the better doubles team. Djokovic isn't a big advantage as a double player IMO. Berdych-Stepanek beat what would have been that team everyone suggested in four relatively easy sets a couple years ago and if you look at Djokovic's DC resume in doubles and doubles in general, it's not extensive nor does it have a lot of wins against experienced teams like Berdych-Stepanek. I think all it would have done was add more fatigue to Djokovic.

People assume top ranked players automatically are going to add something to a doubles pairing. It's a lot to ask of players who don't play doubles very often to step in and be ready. It's such a different game, you really have to have a feel for it and although Djokovic might have some feel, I don't think he's a guy who is that comfortable playing doubles. Guys like Nadal and Federer who play it fairly regularly in DC and more often in the regular season - even if it's just a couple tournaments - would add more to a team than Djokovic IMO.

Stepanek is a solid doubles player and Berdych just fit perfectly with him when they started playing some doubles a few years ago in DC. They've played a lot and know how to work with each other in the setting.
    Did you bet on them today, EP, or was the line too juicy?

EaglesPhan36

Nah. I quit my tennis betting for the year on the 2nd day or so of the Tour Finals.

frugalgambler

EP, you might be right. But Djokovic will be blamed for this loss. There is no way he would have been worse than Bozo out there. Anyway, still fun matches tomorrow. I think both matches should go to 4 sets. So far, we only had 3 setters.

EaglesPhan36

Djokovic is untouchable in Serbia. He still gets a pass since he led them to their first ever DC in 2010.

It'd be hard to hate on the guy who probably gets you both wins that you get in this match-up. If anything, the hate would be towards Troicki & Tipsarevic for being unavailable. Tipsarevic especially. His heel problem is a chronic thing, yet he was schlubbing through losses for the better part of the past six weeks instead of resting. He should have sat out the month of October knowing this was here. He wasn't going to do anything positive with his ranking with his health anyhow, so I'd be blaming him. Troicki you can blame for getting busted in the drug program. Either would have given Serbia a legit shot to win one of the singles matches it probably would have taken to win.

frugalgambler

You are right EP36, Djoker is obviously untouchable in Serbia. But still, it is clear that Step (and he is the undisputed leader of the Czech team) wants it more than Djoker. And yes, I have no idea what Tipsa has been doing, losing to the like of Khachanov in the 1st rounds. Even if he was playing, Czechs still had a good chance of winning it. Troicki would have given Serbia a better chance. I think they were still hoping that he would be acquitted on the appeal.

Anyway, the lines are out. Serbia is now a +450 dog to win the cup. Lajovic is a +350 dog, Djoker is a -1100 fav. I like the overs in both matches I think, especially in the Djoker's match. Only 33 games ? Are you kidding me ? But I might take Djoker and/or Step to win 3-1 instead.

poet

Someone talk me into putting my 700 guaranteed money on the Serbs at +415...

Taka
    Taka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by poet View Post
    You want somebody to talk you into it? Are you that confident in Lajovic that you are actually considering it, or are you just chasing home runs? Just wondering why you like this play, other than the +415 odds. Thanks!

Taka
    Taka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

I've got about 700 guaranteed left as well, but unfortunately (as far as hedge possibilities go) on the other side.

tipsadontlikehim
    tipsadontlikehim's Avatar Become A Pro!

Who told you that and why?

poet

Like I said, EP, terrible decision when your only hope is that a guy like Step will choke. The doubles match was essentially the finals. And I also don't see why Tipsa couldn't have taken a cortisone shot and played this last match. I imagine that had been left on the roster he could have played today. Tipsa on one heel would have made Step work harder than this kid who is clearly overmatched.

tipsadontlikehim

This crowd is full of r etarded people

tipsadontlikehim

Like I said, EP, terrible decision when your only hope is that a guy like Step will choke. The doubles match was essentially the finals. And I also don't see why Tipsa couldn't have taken a cortisone shot and played this last match. I imagine that had been left on the roster he could have played today. Tipsa on one heel would have made Step work harder than this kid who is clearly overmatched.
    Tipsa is a wimp

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6225

tipsa should have played this

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6225

serbia really screwed up badly

poet

Quote Originally Posted by tipsadontlikehim View Post
    Tipsa is a wimp
    Tennis players in general are wimps, with a couple of exceptions. I think back on Agassi and all the shots he took to his back just so he could play another year or so (in much less meaningful matches than this) and Tips couldn't play one freakin match?

poet

BTW, I've taken cortisone shots to my heel before and the effects last for about a week or two. I think one match would not have been a problem for Tipsa had he really wanted to.

losschaser
    losschaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

BTW, I've taken cortisone shots to my heel before and the effects last for about a week or two. I think one match would not have been a problem for Tipsa had he really wanted to.
    I dont think he wants to get banned from the tour over a match were he isnt even getting paid

poet

Quote Originally Posted by losschaser View Post
    I dont think he wants to get banned from the tour over a match were he isnt even getting paid
    What are you taking about? These shots are not illegal in the sport. They take them all the time.

Marshall Tito
    Marshall Tito's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's unfortunate Janko and Viktor couldn't take part. They would have made a big difference, and it would have been especially great to see Janko take out that dirtbag Stepanek again after the incident that took place post-match their previous encounter.

poet

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tito View Post
    It's unfortunate Janko and Viktor couldn't take part. They would have made a big difference, and it would have been especially great to see Janko take out that dirtbag Stepanek again after the incident that took place post-match their previous encounter.
    What happened between them?

Marshall Tito

Google Tipsarevic vs Stepanek Davis Cup. Step gave him the middle finger instead of shaking hands after Janko won the match.

EaglesPhan36

It was like the Czech version of the middle finger. It wasn't anything like you'd think of if you heard "hey this guy gave that guy the middle finger" instead of a handshake. The bigger thing was Stepanek supposedly called him a stinking pussy.

Marshall Tito

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    It was like the Czech version of the middle finger. It wasn't anything like you'd think of if you heard "hey this guy gave that guy the middle finger" instead of a handshake. The bigger thing was Stepanek supposedly called him a stinking pussy.

Yeah, that's what set him off I think. Forgot to mention that

poet

Well, hate to say it, but Step got the pussy part right. If someone had done that to me and I had the chance to get even with him by beating him in Davis Cup play, I would have taken two cortisone shots.

EaglesPhan36

If Tipsarevic played, he jeopardized having a shot at being close to 100% healthy to start next season. These guys have so little down time in between seasons, guys need all the healing time possible especially if dealing with a lingering issue like this. It's barely six weeks from now until January when tournaments start again and just eight weeks until the Australian Open.

You can call a guy soft if you want, but there's very little chance that anyone is going to jeopardize part of the next season in a situation like this. There's maybe 2-3 guys who might consider it because they bleed for Davis Cup, but the majority of these guys aren't going to take the risk if it means playing in the first Grand Slam of the season at full health.

MiddleMan
    MiddleMan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1060

Yeah, fair point. We all know Janko at his best is close to a top ten player. He wouldn't want to risk having another shocker by taking part in Davis Cup.

The line movements in the two premier Tennis team competitions in both tours had incredible line movements for the Finals. I was fortunate enough to get on both. I'm hoping something similar happens in the Hopman Cup.

First 123