Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20525

Quote Originally Posted by OTL View Post
    Listen troll, why would I bother to post up an offer of my own when there's no guarantee it would get matched for the full amount? That's a gamble I'm not willing to take
    I guess there's just no way to convince some people of the benefits of or even how to use exchanges effectively

Chuck Sims
    Chuck Sims's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 860

Listen troll, why would I bother to post up an offer of my own when there's no guarantee it would get matched for the full amount? That's a gamble I'm not willing to take
    Its not a gamble. Just cancel the offer. Educating a dunce takes time.

BrianLaverty
    BrianLaverty's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is this post serious?

Wow.. thats all... just wow.

Igetp2s
    Igetp2s's Avatar Become A Pro!

The problem with posting offers is that you have to watch the market the entire day, making sure that the line doesn't move against you. If you post offers and leave your computer, I guarantee you're going to get hammered at Matchbook. You will almost always get the worst of any line moves. That is a huge downside risk, vs. only a very small benefit to posting offers in the form of slightly less commission.

Most people don't have time to sit around all day watching line moves.

scott235
    scott235's Avatar Become A Pro!

The biggest problem for me is their poor liquidity. On the biggest games of the day there is typically a lot less than $10k in offers out there to accept, and those offers usually aren't even available until hours before game time. Sure you can put out your own offer, but if it doesn't get matched you are screwed.
    with all respect, sir, it makes no sense not to put in offers at MB, you will get matched more often than not

scott235
    scott235's Avatar Become A Pro!

....also, you get a little kickback when an offer is accepted, and it COSTS to take someone elses

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by scott235 View Post
    ....also, you get a little kickback when an offer is accepted, and it COSTS to take someone elses
    of course!
    you have to factor the commission into your price
    not really that difficult

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by Igetp2s View Post
    If you post offers and leave your computer, I guarantee you're going to get hammered at Matchbook.
    I can guarantee you that this is not true. I frequently post early offers at better than available at any book and get matched at the price I asked for.
    How is that getting "hammered"?

Most people don't have time to sit around all day watching line moves.
    that's true but it is is the price a seriously large punter has to pay to obtain the best odds which he must do to make his profession pay

and didn't this guy claim to be a seriously large punter?

heyman
    heyman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

The problem with posting offers is that you have to watch the market the entire day, making sure that the line doesn't move against you.
    If you are betting small or medium the money is either there or will be accepted soon enough. If you're betting large like the above poster claimed the difference in odds will be well worth it to stay on top of line changes.

On Friday's Nats/Phillies game there were just over $3000 in offers on the Philly runline.
    At that point in time on the 1 cent line there was $3000 available. Out past the 1 cent line there is more, and as mentioned above, you should make offers. Your "preferred book" has at least a 10 cent line.

On my preferred book I can wager $15,000 on the runline on any team at any time of the day, which for me is much more profitable and convenient than waiting and hoping for the market to get big enough for my chosen game shortly before it starts on Matchbook.
    More profitable, no. More convenient, yes (then offering bets). Or if you're in such a rush, just accept all the matchbook run-line action, convert the run-line to the money line where there is much more money and accept that.

First 12