slemdon
    slemdon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Betfair pulling out of a dozen countries

"The countries include Germany, Greece, Canada, and Russia. All together, the countries that Betfair will withdraw from accounted for about 24 percent of its revenue in the last fiscal year, the company said."

This seems like big news but I'm not seeing/hearing to much about this?

http://www.drf.com/news/betfair-pull...ozen-countries

allin1
    Update your status
    allin1's Avatar Become A Pro!

already knew about the pulling out, but didn't know that they were bringing about 24%...

filipinho
    filipinho's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah, definitely big thing, it means 25% less liquidity.Hope that Greece&German tax model will fail, cause if not, it will eventually affect whole Europe.Betting companies should be taxed based on their profit.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Canada and Russia too? Oh my god..

deuxfaces
    deuxfaces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

The article is slightly misleading.

Betfair has indeed withdrawn from Germany and Greece because of problems over tax rates.

Additionally, the company will stop marketing and investing in unregulated markets. These contribute 24% of revenues and include Russia and Canada among others. Betfair will still accept customers from these countries though.

For obvious reasons, they prefer to focus their marketing efforts on regulated jurisdictions - UK, Italy, Spain, Australia, etc.

Not earth-shattering news.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Nothing new. Have wrote about this in my thread in the soccer forum and explained the situation in Germany in detail.

EU isn't ok with the way Germany handles this though. And they have the last word.