RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

CONCACAF Gold Cup Soccer Picks

Now that the club season is over for most we can switch our focus back home to North America. The Gold Cup features United States, Mexico, Canada, Jamaica, Cuba, Guadeloupe, Grenada, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador, and Guatemala. The tournament will be played in the US and the Favorites are The United States and Mexico. Since its inception, The Gold Cup has been challenged 10 times with Mexico winning 5, US winning 4 and Canada winning one time.

Most games will be shown on Fox Soccer Channel or Univision. Please note that these picks should be played at 1 unit max. This is mainly for fun and action. (Line from 5Dimes, games are available in SBR Book at worse prices)

Tonight's Games 6/4/2011

6PM EST
    Cuba +1 (+158) +959
    Costa Rica -1 (-180) -275
    Draw +357
    Over 2.5 -122
    Under 2.5 +107

Los Ticos will play with Saborio being the lone striker up top with Bolanos and Ruiz flanking him from wider positions. Celso Borges will be the creator at the top of the midfield as he’ll look to play through the middle while spreading the ball wide. Probably a 4-5-1. This is a team with some real quality players, but Brian Ruzi of FC Twenete stands out. He is one of the stars of this tournament and can play anywhere across the top for Costa Rica. Costa Rica's defense is young and inexperienced, but their attacking prowess will be to much for Cuba.

Costa Rica have drawn 4 of their last 5 games while Cuba has lost 4 of their last 5. Costa Rica should win this game and challenge Mexico for top spot in group A. Cuba shouldn't really pick up any points in this group.

Play on Costa Rica -1 (-180)

8PM EST
    El Salvador +2 (+111) +1929
    Mexico -2 (-126) -563
    Draw +702
    Over 3 -125
    Under 3 +110

Mexico is a huge favorite tonight. El Tri is expected to win the Gold Cup and anything less will be a disappointment. Last meeting between these two saw Mexico thump El Salvador 4-1. Before that encounter Mexico lost 2-1 in El Salvador. I do not see anything but a Mexico win here so the question is by how many goals.

This game is being played in Cowboy's stadium and will be filled with loud Mexican supporters. Their fans are ultras and this will be very much a 'home game.' Mexico has won 3 and draw 2 last 5 while El Salvador has won 4 and lost 1 against very poor opposition.

Mexico will play 4-4-2 with Hernadez and de Nigris up top. Creatively they will play through Dos Santos and Torrado. This team is very comfortable on the ball and tactically able to switch to a more attacking 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-3.

This is the best team El Tri has ever sent to the gold cup and they should batter this team. Marquez and Moreno will provide a platform at the back to go forward with and the speed of Dos Santos and Guardado will be too much down the wings. Look for Mexico to play fast and finish smarty through Hernandez.

Plays on Mexico -2 (-130) and Over 3 (-120)

Overall 0-0-0 (+/- 0)
    All plays bet x to win 1

polskboy
    polskboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 434

what time are those games?

latinrus
    Pats, Pats, Pats
    latinrus's Avatar Become A Pro!

First one already started. 2nd one in like 2 hours. Costa Rica already up.

RubberKettle

2-0 Costa Rica..we're in good shape

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30330

4-0 Costa Rica

beeps220
    beeps220's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Cuba getting throttled. Nice pick on Costa Rica. Let's make some money on this tourney.

I like the Mexico play. Great writeup RK
    Last edited by beeps220; 06-05-11 at 06:27 PM.

SHARPISGOOD
    SHARPISGOOD's Avatar Become A Pro!

WeBelieve........

Nice write ups. Looks like we agree on Mexico..........glad you have one win (Costa Rica) under your belt already........Keep up the great work!

SHARPISGOOD

Hall2Collie
    Hall2Collie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

I put a small play on Mexico (TT) O2.5 earlier today

Nice writeup

goblinburner
    yanks-1 1/2
    goblinburner's Avatar Become A Pro!

mexico 3-0

RubberKettle

courtemanche08
    courtemanche08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

damn totally forgot gold cup started today

gtboy
    gtboy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by goblinburner View Post
    mexico 3-0

RubberKettle

Pretty disappointing so far from Mexico, but there's time just need to finish.

RubberKettle

Woooo 3 goals just like that!

latinrus
    Pats, Pats, Pats
    latinrus's Avatar Become A Pro!

After the 1-0 El Salvador just gettindg destroyed.

4-0 Chicharito.

I wonder if Costa Rica put 5 on Cuba what would be Mexico against Cuba, that may be a goal festival.

Mexico plays like at home when they play in USA.

Karim
    Karim's Avatar Become A Pro!

1 Mexiko -4.0 Mexiko v El Salvador
    (Asian Handicap) 0
    @ 6.60

one more ! come on.

RubberKettle

Results: Sunday 6/5/2011

Costa Rica 5 - Cuba 0
    Cost Rica -1 (-180) Win

Mexico 5 - El Salvador 0
    Mexico -2 (-130) Win
    Over 3 goals (-120) Win

Overall 3-0-0 (+3.00)
    All plays bet x to win 1

Favorable results for us last night. Mexico made us sweat for a bit, but the 2nd half performance is more likely what we will see from them. Tonight’s games are more difficult to cap with the favorites not being as strong and the AH lines being large.

RubberKettle

6/6/2011
    9:00PM EST
    Grenada +2 (+120) +1397
    Jamaica -2 (-135) -475
    Draw +641
    Over 3 goals -126
    Under 3 goals +106

Ok so Group B gets underway tonight. This is the weakest group in this tournament. Grenada and Jamaica get things started in at The Home Depot Center in Carson, California. Grenada is a very weak team with only 2 players in a recognizable league and Shalrie Joseph has already declined to participate. That leaves Sporting Kansas City's Craig Rocastle as the only notable player. Rocastle is a central midfielder who will try to help Grenada secure their first ever point at the Gold Cup. Grenada’s only other appearance in the Gold Cup came in 2009, being eliminated in the group stage with out scoring a single goal.

Grenada’s goal scoring threat would have come from Kithson Bain with 33 caps and 15 goals, but he is missing out due to injury. Coach Mike Adams said “Grenada doesn’t have professional football teams and a lot of the players play football in their village parks so this is a very huge step up for them.”

Other players that may be included in the starting XI are: Andre Baptiste, David Cyrus, Shanon Philip, Cassim Langaigne, Marc Marshall, Patrick Modeste, Shane Rennie, Ricky Charles, Delroy Facey.

Jamaica is very excited about their prospects in the 2011 Gold Cup. Jamaica was eliminated in the group stage during the 2009 Gold Cup, but with Honduras, Guatemala and Grenada in their group the Reggae Boys expect to advance into the knockout stage.
    Jamaica has a strong group of forwards even with the exclusion of Stoke City’s Ricardo Fuller. Dane Richards, Ryan Johnson, Omar Cummings and Luton Shelton are very fast players with experience. Jamaica is a very offensive team with lightning speed on the wings and through the center. This may prove deadly for Grenada. Good ball movement will be key for Jamaica against Grenada if they wish to get all three points.

The Grenada squad is fit and can run, but tactically I expect them to be all over the place. Organization is not really the strong point of a team based around players playing in park villages. I never take big ML favorites and I’m not changing today so we need to look elsewhere. The AH is currently -2 (-160) which is possibly a overreaction to last night’s results. Grenada are missing their two best players so I think this is still a play.

Play Jamaica -2 (-160)

6/6/2011
    11:00PM EST
    Guatemala +1.5 (+118) +934
    Honduras -1.5 (-138) -302
    Draw +470
    Over 3 goals -124
    Under 3 goals +104

Honduras is most likely the best team on show tonight in Carson. Emilio Izaguirre mans the back line with Wilson Palacios and Hendry Thomas in the midfield. These are quality players who have played at high levels for club and country. Jerry Bengston and Carlo Costly will likely be playing up front for Honduras. Honduras does not really have a notable midfield creator, but if Ramon Nunez (Leeds United) can step up they have a team to challenge the US and Mexico. Honduras still miss the likes of Carlos Pavon and David Suazo, but this is still the cream of Group B.

Guatemala players to watch Cristian Noriega, Marco Pappa, Jairo Arreola, F Carlos Ruiz. This team is a wild card. They are known for playing a tight 5-3-2 formation that keeps things slow and organized. Pappa is a solid midfielder who can create for himself and others. If Guatemala wish to get out of this group they will have to play tight keep it close and hope they have enough to score a few goals.

I really like under 3 (+112) here. Honduras have enough fire power to deal with Guatemala, but this game should be close for long periods.

Play Under 3 goals +112
    Points Awarded:

sockeye gave RubberKettle 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Socrates
    Socrates's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Poor Cuba and el Salvador lmao

SHARPISGOOD

RK..............

Good luck...seems we both see the Jamaica game about the same..........

SHARPISGOOD

beeps220
    beeps220's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Looking good here, 2,-0 Grenada is totally outclassed.

RubberKettle

Yeah guys Jamaica was too much for little Grenada. I doubt Grenada will get a goal in this tournament. They really are a kick about side.

MoneylineExpress
    MoneylineExpress's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 865

Greanada must be really bad

sockeye
    sockeye's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 503

Congrats Rubber Kettle

gtboy
    gtboy's Avatar Become A Pro!

whats ur thought about USA. u think they will let canada beat them in soccer too like hockey. i am resident of both usa and canada so i am not against any 1. just want to win some cash. thinking of putting a few units on usa -1,1.5.

RubberKettle

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye View Post
    Congrats Rubber Kettle
    Thanks bud

RubberKettle

Results: Monday 6/6/2011

Jamaica 4 - Grenada 0
    Jamaica -2 (-160) Win

Honduras o - Guatemala 0
    Under 3 goals +112 Win

Overall 5-0-0 (+5.00)
    All plays bet x to win 1

Well those games went pretty much as planned. Honduras looked a good side for much of that game, but they missed probably their best chances to score 47 seconds in. Grenada is a hapless little team that should not be here ahead of T&T.

Tonight we group C action in Detroit. Ford Field, which has recently be changed over to real grass for the tournament will host Panama vs Guadeloupe and later The United States vs Canada. USA is one of the favorites to win this competition. Write coming later on as I'm trying to get some work done 1st.

legendmatt34
    legendmatt34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 83

Good job yest!

legendmatt34
    legendmatt34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 83

Continue the streak today...

mikeyfitz
    Temple -7.5
    mikeyfitz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Very nice!

SHARPISGOOD

RK........

Good luck tonight with your picks. I capped those two Concacaf Gold Cup matches for tonight and don't like anything. I really want to see the USA play tonight as I don't think they are a strong as some feel.....hope I'm wrong tho!

SHARPISGOOD

squintz4
    squintz4's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

Great start to the Gold Cup Rubber! Keep up the good work mate!

RubberKettle

6/7/2011
    6:00pm
    Guadeloupe +1 (-138) +459
    Panama -1 (+118) -150
    Draw +299
    Over 2.5 goals -108
    Under 2.5 goals -112

Two central American teams here and I don’t know much about either one. In the 2009 Gold Cup Guadeloupe defeated Panama 2-1 in the group stage and qualified for the knockout round. Guadeloupe seems to have about the same squad as 2009.

This is something a Canadian soccer reporter wrote about Guadeloupe
    They lack stars, but they will play organized and intense. This is the Island’s World Cup and, it must be remembered, they were semi-finalists in 2007. A great deal of the players have played in the French system. They will be tricky. So tricky, it says here that they will grab one of the best third place quarterfinal slots.
    I can’t find much info on Panama, but they are said to be an under-achieving type team. They held Mexico to a draw last year in the group stages and advanced to the knockout round. I don’t see where this game justifies a -1 AH. They seem like two even teams. This game will probably be a lot like last nights encounter between Honduras and El Salvador. Played at a fast pace with little buildup, not much slick passing and chances at a premium. But, neither of the teams are solid enough to warrant an under play here.

No Play on this game right now. Maybe something later if I find an angle on the draw.

RubberKettle

6/7/2011
    8:00pm
    Canada +1.5 (+122) +1287
    USA -1.5 (-137) -365
    Draw +485
    Early O/U odds
    Over 3 goals +105
    Under 3 goals -145

I have a love hate relationship with the United States playing in the Gold Cup. On one hand I love to see my nation play in any organized tournament, but the Gold Cup feels about as 2nd rate as they come. I still believe that playing in the Copa America as we did in 2007 is more beneficial to the players. They should combine the two tournaments, but that’s for a different day.

Canada has won the Gold Cup once in 2000 and it remains their only tournament title in over 100 years of football. Canada played well to secure a 2-2 draw against Ecuador in the warm-up for the tournament. Unfortunately a few players picked up injuries in Jakovi who will not be playing and Josh Simpson who is doubtful. Simpson is possibly Canada’s best player. He’s a winger with good pace, a quick tidy dribble and an eye for goal at the club level. He has only scored one goal for Canada in his international career.

Simeon Jackson of newly promoted Norwich City will lead play along side Rob Friend and Dwayne De Rosario in a 4-3-3 formation. Jackson is a very speedy striker who has had problems with confidence in England, but he is very talented. De Rosario is old and well known to most US players, but still can pull a trick so marking him is important. Friend is a huge 6’5 forward who can cause problems similar to Jan Koller circa World Cup 2006.

Will Johnson will probably get the unenviable task of keeping up with Landon Donovan on the flanks. The Canadian back four is Marcel de Jong, Kevin McKenna, Andre Hainault and Nik Ledgerwood.

Most are familiar with team USA, but if you’ve not been following them this is how they will set up in a 4-4-2 formation. Teenage sensation Juan Agudelo will partner Jozy Altiodre up front. Altiodre has come under criticism lately and is currently playing at Bursaspor in Turkey on his 2nd loan stop away from parent club Villarreal. I think Altidore stinks and should not be the #1 striker for us. Hopefully Agudelo steps up huge in this tournament and shows what all the hype is about. The US have options to change things up if either striker underperforms.

The real core of the US is the midfield. There are many options for coach Bob Bradely, but I see them lining up with Donovan, Bradley, Edu and Dempsey from left to right. Donovan is the best player in US history; I don’t care what the haters think. He is very fast, highly skilled and can score goals for a team that really needs his production. Michael Bradley, the son of coach Bob, has had a very difficult year with time spent and relegation threatened Borrussia Mochengladbach and a loan spell at Aston Villa. Bradley is a young midfielder that always seems to play up to his level of competition. He is a typical box to box player who can chip in with the rare goal too. Edu is a physical presence in midfield who has been playing more of a CAM role for his club side Rangers. He’s good on the ball and is very good in the box for corners.

Clint Dempsey is the most inform US player right now. He had an exception season at Fulham where he scored 12 goals and led them to an 8th place finish. Dempsey can play wide right, upfront on his on or as a CF. He can score goals from anywhere on the pitch. He is always a huge threat from corners and has enough pace to trouble defenders in open play situations.

The back four of the US is in transition. Older players like Cherundolo, Bocanegra and Onyewu will likely start, but I would like to see Adam Lichaj and Tim Ream get chances in this tournament. Tim Howard will start for the US, he’s a top 10 keep worldwide.

So how do these teams match up and what will be the outcome of this game?

The USA was just clobbered by Spain 4-0 in a warm-up Saturday. It was not their top side, but that’s no excuse. The team is excited for the tournament and fired up to get back to winning ways. The US is a more talented team then Canada and we will see that on show tonight. Both teams are very similar in that they work very to create chances, but the quality will be the difference tonight. A full strength US attack against an inexperienced Canadian backline is a recipe for a US win. The USA is 23-0-2 in Gold Cup group matches. I think the US can get a few goals tonight, but I’m a little concerned about the new playing surface.

Play USA 1st half -.5 (-140)
    Play USA -1.5 (-135)

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

I have been on similar plays to you except took guatamala handicap instead of the under
    agree with you again today with the USA and i want to play the under in the guatalope game but i dont like the line

1234 ... Last