JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11913

The Titanic explorer sub missing..

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/20/us/ti...day/index.html

Sad story. I think all five on board are goners! They have like one day left of O2 in the tanks if still alive which I think they aren't. To think they paid $250,000 each for a death adventure.

I have theories. Do you have any?

1) Deep sea giant squid ate it.

2) Aliens living in deep waters released the Kraken and that big monster ate it.

3) Hull sprung a leak on the initial descent when hitting extreme pressure and it sank like a rock in the some crevice and will never be found.

I'm going with number 3 theory...

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30480

Wow what a horrible way to die

You couldn't pay me $250,000 to get into something that takes me to the bottom of the ocean

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by asiagambler View Post
    Wow what a horrible way to die

You couldn't pay me $250,000 to get into something that takes me to the bottom of the ocean
    I agree, you couldn't pay me $250,000 either to go into the far depths of the deep ocean 2 or 3 miles down in the pitch dark in a tiny sub or even jump in a rocket to go deep into space. No thanks!

I don't have a death wish. Just to unknown and dangerous still with the hazards on both!

Nate rasta
    Update your status
    Nate rasta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2782

Why would they want to go and disturb their grave site? That's disrespectful

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

If they're charging 250k, you'd think they'd have a better system. I mean at least a backup sub to follow them just in case something goes wrong. Tsk, tsk, tsk... They're fish food now

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9245

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/20/us/ti...day/index.html

Sad story. I think all five on board are goners! They have like one day left of O2 in the tanks if still alive which I think they aren't. To think they paid $250,000 each for a death adventure.

I have theories. Do you have any?

1) Deep sea giant squid ate it.

2) Aliens living in deep waters released the Kraken and that big monster ate it.

3) Hull sprung a leak on the initial descent when hitting extreme pressure and it sank like a rock in the some crevice and will never be found.

I'm going with number 3 theory...
    Could have become tangled in old fishing nets too.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20505

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Did they even send out a search team? lol The search team said... oh hellllllll no.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11662

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    If they're charging 250k, you'd think they'd have a better system. I mean at least a backup sub to follow them just in case something goes wrong. Tsk, tsk, tsk... They're fish food now
    I think it’s the opposite - if you do the math: $250k x five passengers. That’s $1.25 million per trip. They’ve done 2 or 3 previous trips.

The trip is 500+ miles out into the ocean and then diving 12,000 feet … can you even come up with a more challenging, less forgivable environment than that?

Now consider the economics - $1 million will buy you a high performance, fairly luxurious fishing boat with electronics to navigate, regulate, and a range that might top out somewhere @ 300 miles. (Before the costs of running the boat, fuel/dockage/repair/ et at) There is no second vessel with this $1 million boat, no specially trained mechanics/scientists needed, no exceedingly deep diving components, no high end communications/videos/lighting equipment needed - and god knows whatever else is needed to conduct manned off-shore dives 2 1/2 miles under the sea!

If this operation is for profit … $250k x 5 a handful of times a year … to me it seems like there’s no way for this operation to make money without skimping big time in one cost silo or another, like … safety?

b1slickguy
    WDKYWMYAK
    b1slickguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29848

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    That's smart. Costs money though to do what you suggest. Another operator and another sub to follow.

Obviously this operation was not up to snuff and lacking back up options and it cost 5 peoples lives..

Should have had an outside mechanical arm and cutter on the sub to free up if entangled, two separate blow valves to float up to the surface, some kind of deep water locator beacon also. This lost sub was lacking all that.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32341

Ally has been fascinated with this story from the get go.
    We had this discussion earlier this morning.
    '"Would you go on that adventure"?
    We're both like, "not even if you paid us"

My dad was a career Navy military engineer, submersives can easily turn into death sentences.
    Unfortunately those folks are worm food by tomorrow.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

If alive now in the sub they all are gonna suffocate and die in the pitch dark tomorrow morning. I personally think they are all dead already. Hull breach leak, sub then sank like a rock at initial descent. That's my best guess.

Damn shame!

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9245

stevenash

^
    Nice pull, thanks.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

^Spice.. Still can't locate the sub in time if they are really banging. They are 12,000 feet deep below the surface and you can't even send a rescue team down there. Very few stout manned subs can go down that deep. It's over....

Well, they will all die among family and friends tomorrow morning in the dark and the son will die with his father if they are banging and still alive. Sad. Reminds me of this song for some reason.

Last edited by JIBBBY; 06-21-23 at 11:59 AM.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

A price to pay at times for extreme explorers. I commend them though for their bravery!

Remember the Apollo missions back in the day. Houston we have a problem. I think Space is more safe then going down to the depths of the Oceans personally and that's saying something!

We all remember the Space Shuttle blowing up..

Bigbill365
    Big Money Bettors
    Bigbill365's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1016

Well I’ll drink a shot for them maybe they’ll bounce back soon

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8516

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

They said if there was a pin hole leak the craft would implode under 6000 pounds of pressure immediately in the deep ocean.

I think it imploded. Everyone are sardines in a crumpled up submarine tin can right now at the bottom of the ocean 12,000 feet below next to the Titanic.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21689

Still alive as of today. Sonar picked up pattern banging sounds timed out to the half hour. Definitely doesn't seem random. But they are running out of time for sure. Very impressive if indeed they are still alive. Knowing that you are pretty much for sure about to die and the walls are closing in has to be the thing of nightmares, so to keep your cool and do whatever you can is pretty amazing. They have no idea if anyone is even searching, but I imagine they think they probably are.

Would be one of the most unbelievable stories ever if they are recovered alive.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

They signed a waiver to go into this death sub. Can't sue the company.

They knew the risks and paid 250 gees to die. With great risks you can get great rewards if you survive it. That's why I commend the courage! Like going to the Moon or Mars good luck coming back. Deep depths of our oceans haven't even really been explored yet.

We have no idea what giant creatures live down there in the dark under 6000 pounds of pressure for starters. Ocean is very deep, huge, long and vast.

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29970

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Still alive as of today. Sonar picked up pattern banging sounds timed out to the half hour. Definitely doesn't seem random. But they are running out of time for sure. Very impressive if indeed they are still alive. Knowing that you are pretty much for sure about to die and the walls are closing in has to be the thing of nightmares, so to keep your cool and do whatever you can is pretty amazing. They have no idea if anyone is even searching, but I imagine they think they probably are.

Would be one of the most unbelievable stories ever if they are recovered alive.
    The most recent snippet I caught online was far more pessimistic than all that, but I hope you are right that they still have a chance. It's a nightmareish situation to imagine being in, without a doubt.

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

Yep 2 miles deep ain't no joke, and from what I've seen this sub wasn't really equipped with any safety beacon tech.
    I don't think it matters much anyway. I think this thing has been down there enough times to fatigue the structure and they all got crushed like a beer can at the frat house party.

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 894

It’s hard to find sympathy for a rich guy joy ride to the bottom of the ocean to visit a graveyard. I don’t really get it. Why? What a miserable way to go. A lot of resources are being used here. They should send the bill to the billionaires heirs at the end.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by mjsuax13 View Post
    It’s hard to find sympathy for a rich guy joy ride to the bottom of the ocean to visit a graveyard. I don’t really get it. Why? What a miserable way to go. A lot of resources are being used here. They should send the bill to the billionaires heirs at the end.
    Exactly. Who would give a rats a## to see the Titanic at the bottom of the ocean? To the same principle of rock climbing? Like why? What for? Climb way up in the air... and fall to your death. Go all the way to the bottom of the ocean.... and drown. Sounds like fun. Sign me up.

Is the juice worth the squeeze? No. Not even close. Take your $250,000 and have a wild orgy or something.

You're intelligent enough to become a billionaire.... but all it takes is one fu## up miscue of common sense one day... saying... hmmmm.... I think I'll travel to see the Titanic. But I don't weigh any of the extreme possibilties.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

If they are still alive right now in that sub tomb they are starting to choke for OXYGEN right now. Bye bye.. SAD...

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

I mean isn't there a saying? If you die from doing something you love, that's the best way to go or something like that?

Well tell that to that guy's son that probably got dragged to go... I'm sure the kid would've preferred a brand new Lambo rather than this death tour.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheMoneyShot

stevenash

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Like finding a needle in a haystack. Need a real miracle now and I don't think they have the deep sea equipment to even pull it up in time if by chance the sub is found. A 12,000 foot cable attachment maybe?

You are trying to recover dead bodies at this point unfortunately!

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

Just heard the found a debris field near the Titanic. I think they got crushed which I guess is a better way to check out than running out of air. Quicker atleast with probably it being over before they knew it.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Slurry Pumper View Post
    Just heard the found a debris field near the Titanic. I think they got crushed which I guess is a better way to check out than running out of air. Quicker atleast with probably it being over before they knew it.
    If true that's what I thought happen, hull breach and imploded on the descent.

Long shot is it got fired upon on the descent by a Russian or Chinese sub which is unlikely but if there were sub debris found that's makes you think it's other then a crushed sub.

Third is a huge deep sea monster wanted lunch and chomped down on it which is very unlikely.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I know this will sound insensitive, but I don't really feel any sympathies towards people that pay $250,000 and sign a waiver form telling that what they are going to do is extremely dangerous and may result in their death.
    Points Awarded:

mjsuax13 gave Kermit 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

T100
    cappersmall reject
    T100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2132

they could`nt handle the pressure

T100
    cappersmall reject
    T100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2132

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I know this will sound insensitive, but I don't really feel any sympathies towards people that pay $250,000 and sign a waiver form telling that what they are going to do is extremely dangerous and may result in their death.
    they paid for "the titanic experience"..... they got it!

123 Last