stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32329

toddsclowns
    toddsclowns's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 37378

Dang, praying for the families and souls lost. Should’ve wrapped that thing tight in Flex Seal.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11901

Fish food now...

khicks26
    khicks26's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18936

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/20/us/ti...day/index.html

Sad story. I think all five on board are goners! They have like one day left of O2 in the tanks if still alive which I think they aren't. To think they paid $250,000 each for a death adventure.

I have theories. Do you have any?

1) Deep sea giant squid ate it.

2) Aliens living in deep waters released the Kraken and that big monster ate it.

3) Hull sprung a leak on the initial descent when hitting extreme pressure and it sank like a rock in the some crevice and will never be found.

I'm going with number 3 theory...
    Yea fuk those clowns.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Well that Oceangate submarine company is surely gonna go bust now. Time to file for bankruptcy.

I don't know anyone in their right mind paying $250,000 per ticket to see the rotting Titanic now!

khicks26
    khicks26's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18936

The owner of Oceangate was a libertarian that thought government regulations stifled his innovation.

His innovation to be dumb enough to die at the bottom of the ocean.

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 894

Well that Oceangate submarine company is surely gonna go bust now. Time to file for bankruptcy.

I don't know anyone in their right mind paying $250,000 per ticket to see the rotting Titanic now!
    That company and the families should all get a bill for the cost of this recovery for their bullshit joyride.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

Quote Originally Posted by toddsclowns View Post
    Dang, praying for the families and souls lost. Should’ve wrapped that thing tight in Flex Seal.

No chance it sinks with Gorilla Tape.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3643

They should have bought the Round Trip ticket for a half million instead of cheaping out for a One-Way at $250,000

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by toddsclowns View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post

No chance it sinks with Gorilla Tape.
    lol

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29970

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I know this will sound insensitive, but I don't really feel any sympathies towards people that pay $250,000 and sign a waiver form telling that what they are going to do is extremely dangerous and may result in their death.
    The way I see it is life is a series of gambles. Every time you get in a car you're taking a tiny gamble that something goes wrong. It adds up over the years. Of course this was way riskier, but there's no clear place to draw the line on what is "too much" risk. They wanted to have a life experience that very few people will ever have - when you're super-rich I can see how that kind of unique opportunity might be more valuable to you than just more stuff. And, hell, it's their money, their choice how to spend it

I still sympathize because it seems like a truly terrifying way to go out
    Last edited by blankoblanco; 06-23-23 at 12:11 AM.

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    The way I see it is life is a series of gambles. Every time you get in a car you're taking a tiny gamble that something goes wrong. It adds up over the years. Of course this was way riskier, but there's no clear place to draw the line on what is "too much" risk. They wanted to have a life experience that very few people will ever have - when you're super-rich I can see how that kind of unique opportunity might be more valuable to you than just more stuff. And, hell, it's their money, their choice how to spend it

I still sympathize because it seems like a truly terrifying way to go out

Well if you're going to take an adventure with this much inherent risks, maybe outsourcing your safety to a more competent engineer could be a thing. They could have called several other people who are knowledgeable in the art of diving deep in thick ass steel tubes for their opinion and maybe ask for some kind of current certifications of tested capabilities. It doesn't surprise me that this thing imploded. Sure it worked the 1st 50 times, but over time that expanding and contracting of the pressure vessel puts some serious fatigue that will de rate the ability of the structure to withstand the pressure.

mjsuax13

Quote Originally Posted by Slurry Pumper View Post
    Well if you're going to take an adventure with this much inherent risks, maybe outsourcing your safety to a more competent engineer could be a thing. They could have called several other people who are knowledgeable in the art of diving deep in thick ass steel tubes for their opinion and maybe ask for some kind of current certifications of tested capabilities. It doesn't surprise me that this thing imploded. Sure it worked the 1st 50 times, but over time that expanding and contracting of the pressure vessel puts some serious fatigue that will de rate the ability of the structure to withstand the pressure.
    The head scratcher for me still is the ocean gate guy knowing they cut corners and “broke some rules” in building this. He said it himself. A mission of mercy if you ask me… he would have done something dumber in the future and killed even more. Time to send all these clowns a bill. Sorry about your loss, here’s a bill for your husbands stupidity.

b1slickguy
    WDKYWMYAK
    b1slickguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29836

It was reported yesterday that the US Navy detected the implosion on Sunday, 6/18/23.
    "Sonar detecting banging noises in 30 minute intervals" was just a made up feel-good story like the Ghost of Kyiv...or there's another lost sub down there.

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6231

Things are not adding up here guys?

b1slickguy
    WDKYWMYAK

Quote Originally Posted by slayer14 View Post
    We know now why a British rescue mission was blocked by the US government earlier in the week.
    Some knew all along that it was no longer a rescue mission.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

So the Navy knew all along there was an implosion on the first day but they went along with the theatrics?

Was there something big going on last weekend where they needed to distract the plebs?

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Well I guess people won't be to eager to visit the Titanic anymore even if there is a discount.

b1slickguy
    WDKYWMYAK

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    So the Navy knew all along there was an implosion on the first day but they went along with the theatrics?

Was there something big going on last weekend where they needed to distract the plebs?

mjsuax13

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post

IMG-9350

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20493

Quote Originally Posted by slayer14 View Post

OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5246

excuse if same post but why not use a real naval sub that can sustain depths more than the toy sub

stevenash

^
    Are you asking why Ocean Gate didn't use a larger vessel for their adventures?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9245

Quote Originally Posted by OldBill View Post
    excuse if same post but why not use a real naval sub that can sustain depths more than the toy sub
    I heard on news that US Navy subs work between 300m and 800m max.

Titanic is over 3000m down.

What's the deepest a Navy submarine has gone?

The USS Dolphin (AGSS 555) is the world's deepest diving submarine, having set a depth record of over 900 meters shortly after its deployment in 1968 (although small submersibles have gone deeper). It is also the Navy's only remaining diesel-powered submarine, as all newer subs are nuclear powered.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    ^
    Are you asking why Ocean Gate didn't use a larger vessel for their adventures?
    Seems they went cheap and cut costs on the design. Paid $250,000 each to go down in a lemon!

stevenash

Seems they went cheap and cut costs on the design. Paid $250,000 each to go down in a lemon!
    Seems like?
    He did go cheap Jibbers, that's from pretty much all accounts, you knew that.

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

I watched a video on the sub this weekend on how they made it, and it is obviously a highly experimental design that should not of had humans in it for about 100 dives. A Carbon fiber tube super glued to some metallic rings at the end. With the Modulus of Elasticity properties for each material being different alone is a gigantic red flag. You would have the carbon fiber contracting at a separate rate than the metallic rings on the end which means the epoxy they used to glue these together would have to be elastic enough to handle that. Plus even if that stuff was all engineered to within the yield stress limits, how do you test for proper construction. The standard for pressure vessels today is still steel welded together with 100% x-ray testing to insure good welds. How do you test carbon fiber and epoxy after the build in a non destructive way?
    I'm not a n expert, but are there other carbon fiber subs that are rated to go down even over 5000 ft? probably not, and now there wont be one anytime soon.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11866

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I heard on news that US Navy subs work between 300m and 800m max.Titanic is over 3000m down.
    I heard more people have gone to outer space than to that ocean depth, alive that is.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Could save alot of trouble and figure out a way to cable up the Titanic and bring it to the surface in pieces some how with massive tug boats, long lines and cranes or something rather then risking your life to go 12,000 feet deep below in a sketchy tiny sub that could implode and hope for the best just to catch a quick look at it.

mjsuax13

Could save alot of trouble and figure out a way to cable up the Titanic and bring it to the surface in pieces some how with massive tug boats, long lines and cranes or something rather then risking your life to go 12,000 feet deep below in a sketchy tiny sub that could implode and hope for the best just to catch a quick look at it.
    Huh? You want drama? Watch the titanic movie. You want to see the wreckage? Google is amazing.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by mjsuax13 View Post
    Huh? You want drama? Watch the titanic movie. You want to see the wreckage? Google is amazing.
    Gotta pull that rust bucket up. Will save lives! ; )

mjsuax13

Gotta pull that rust bucket up. Will save lives! ; )
    Send the Biden crew!

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8504

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8504

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Let all the conspiracies begin. Either all these people were a bunch of idiots drowning.... or what a great way to fake your death.

First 123 Last