eaglesfan371
    The great game of POT...LIMIT...OMAHA
    eaglesfan371's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

SBR I need your advice - Real talk

I'm unemployed. College degree in accounting + finance from University of Maryland, looking for financial analyst position. Have been unemployed since mid December. Have applied to countless jobs with no luck. Really want to move to Texas (or another major city) and work there but not even a single phone call for an interview there...so I'm worried if I move there I will never find a job. I have lived in Maryland my whole life and want a change.

I also want to travel more. I visited 7 countries last year and want to go to Europe again. I'm 24 and my parents co-signed for a significant amount of student + car debt, 40k, so I feel it would be wrong to go traveling and also make me look lazy / build a gap in my resume.

I'm sitting on roughly $25k and receiving unemployment insurance for unreasonable termination so I can pay monthly obligations but I do want to start working again. What should I do? Should I move to Texas without a job? Should I go travel for 2-4 weeks in Europe? Tips on how to network / obtain interviews in a new city?

Sorry, as you can see, I'm clearly all over the place lol. I also posted this to reddit but curious for input here too.
    Last edited by eaglesfan371; 03-02-19 at 01:33 AM.

HurryUpAndDrink
    HurryUpAndDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Go travel 4 weeks to Europe, stay within a budget, dont go crazy and penetrate some French/Spanish/Italian/Slavic broads. Life is all about experiences and meeting new places/people.

Report back
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: PAULYPOKER

eaglesfan371

Quote Originally Posted by HurryUpAndDrink View Post
    Go travel 4 weeks to Europe, stay within a budget, dont go crazy and penetrate some French/Spanish/Italian/Slavic broads

Report back
    Oh staying at hostels, I could easily do so for under $2k, tops 2.5k. Always fun meeting people at hostels.

I know its my life but I also want to succeed and make my parents proud. I partied too much and did not obtain valuable internships during college. I had a 3.4 GPA but definitely feel like I disappointed them and now I am again.

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19468

Gl
    Wish I could help

A lot of bums on here that don't work.

We do have a couple of guys that have real jobs.
    If you put in your title that your accountant looking for work, we might have an accountant that might read your thread.

Im just spit balling

eaglesfan371

Quote Originally Posted by darrell74 View Post
    Gl
    Wish I could help

A lot of bums on here that don't work.

We do have a couple of guys that have real jobs.
    If you put in your title that your accountant looking for work, we might have an accountant that might read your thread.

Im just spit balling
    Haha thank you for the advice. That actually touches on my biggest issue. I don't enjoy accounting. I worked an internship at Deloitte, one of the big 4 accounting firms, and hated it. I became an analyst for an energy company and LOVED my position as I was a decision-maker everyday for large scale solar projects and modelling. My work had purpose.

Open accounting jobs are probably 20 to 1 the number of analyst positions open. Thus, its a very tough market. I don't want to go back to accounting but I worry I might have to...

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

They say you will only get called back 5 of every 100 applications.
    So I say start applying for anything. Over qualified, under qualified, anything.

Are you a CPA? If not, don't move to Texas. They have odd rules surrounding being an accountant there.

Edit: Didn't see you don't want to be an accountant.
    Find a dream job that you want. Go find someone in Indeed that has that job and look at their resume. Match up where you are at. MSG them and talk to them about how they liked their job at "X" and "Y". People will get back to you. I messaged 2 people once, and both wrote back to me.
    Last edited by eidolon; 03-02-19 at 02:40 AM.

Duckshit
    Duckshit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

End it.

ATC727
    ATC727's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 329

Listen bro,

I was in your same shoes 6 years ago. I have about 100k student loans and my parents sacrificed everything for me to get a degree.

I waited year after year for a job I applied because it was with the govt. eventually realized after 5 years that I had to move on and find any job I could to support ends meet. After 7 years, I finally got the offer letter and turned it down because I moved to a new state, found a gf (almost wife now) and got settled. I did not want to relocate either.

Find any job you can man, always go for a better opportunity and don’t be stubborn if you end up doing something other than what you wanted. You can’t always get what u want in life and everything happens for a reason. Even when things are tough. You will see what I mean as you get older.

Keep living life but in USA you need a job to survive, best of luck!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jackbo

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

The educated type jobs so tough to get and all the $8-$12 per hr jobs real easy

It is why low unemployment rate deceiving more geared to the poor type jobs and less educated

I would go to Europe 1st then move to Texas and start over

Most people do not have the balls to move, I did it numerous time and different parts of USA and liked it and finally found a place in The Lehigh Valley I am staying because beautiful and less clutter.

EAGLES DO NOT BE A FUKKIN JERKOFF AND LOSE TOO MUCH GAMBLING right now because your in no position for that.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: PAULYPOKER

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Have you had somebody look at your resume? One type or dumb mistake you don't notice can cost you a call. Otherwise bite the bullet for a few years and go back to Accounting, the experience will only help. Look into other areas of accounting that may be more bearable. I work in internal audit and love it. No month end BS all the time. Also are you going for a CPA? When I graduated that's a question I heard a lot. I eventually got it and hopefully it helps down the line - sure looks good on a resume though. Good luck man.

Purduekev
    Purduekev's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 306

Based on your age, I am around your parents age so I come at this from probably their point of view.

1. Don't gamble. No matter how well you have done previously this is money you can't afford to lose. Make your parents proud by getting that debt they co-signed down as quickly as you can. Don't default on that loan even if your parents can afford it.

2. Don't go to Europe. Again, your concentration needs to be on employment at this time. I would not limit myself to a particular region of the country either. You have to go where the job that you will love leads you at this stage in your life. Maybe you can find a large corporation that transfers people to different areas of the country they would rather be. This happened in my case. I was in your shoes and my first job took me to Southwest Kansas of all places and in a year a and half through transfers they took me where I wanted to be. Do good at your job, tell them your future plans and your ideal location to live and they will notice. You just have to get your foot in the door now.

Probably not what you want to hear. I wish you luck.

Ebumdude
    HTX
    Ebumdude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1843

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesfan371 View Post
    I'm unemployed. College degree in accounting + finance from University of Maryland, looking for financial analyst position. Have been unemployed since mid December. Have applied to countless jobs with no luck. Really want to move to Texas (or another major city) and work there but not even a single phone call for an interview there...so I'm worried if I move there I will never find a job. I have lived in Maryland my whole life and want a change.

I also want to travel more. I visited 7 countries last year and want to go to Europe again. I'm 24 and my parents co-signed for a significant amount of student + car debt, 40k, so I feel it would be wrong to go traveling and also make me look lazy / build a gap in my resume.

I'm sitting on roughly $25k and receiving unemployment insurance for unreasonable termination so I can pay monthly obligations but I do want to start working again. What should I do? Should I move to Texas without a job? Should I go travel for 2-4 weeks in Europe? Tips on how to network / obtain interviews in a new city?

Sorry, as you can see, I'm clearly all over the place lol. I also posted this to reddit but curious for input here too.
    Literally TONS of opportunity in Houston. Apply for and secure a job before moving anywhere.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Tips on how to network / obtain interviews in a new city?
    I would say start a blog, a youtube channel, some type of internet presence that ties in to your career aspirations as a financial analyst. Build a network of followers.

If you manage to attain say 10,000 to 20,000 followers on social media who enjoy your financial commentary, that greatly enhances your chances of being hired.

Travel blogs / channels are also popular right now.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68557

I have lived here my entire life as well. Do you have a recruiter? or headhunter?

Sounds like your resume needs a professional touch. Oftentimes it is lacking key elements.

That said, that field is notorious for low pay and long hours while gaining experience. In short, they screw you because you are young and they can. My youngest son had to deal with that.

If you are really serious, I can probably help you but you won't like what I recommend.

For starters, no travel until the debt is gone.

Hope the car loan is 1.99 That is easily achievable in Md.

No plastic and don't know the % tacked onto the student loan.

Is the 25K getting 2.20 or better currently. Also easily achievable.

So much info needed to really try and help out, this is not really the place to try and do it.

I'm around if you are really serious.

dustyy
    dustyy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6895

Time to grow up. Seven countries last year and you are drawing unemployment for "unreasonable termination". You have $25,000 to your name, have substantial debt and you want to go to Europe? Put your resume on Indeed and start looking for a job full time or you will be living off your parents for the rest of your life.

eaglesfan371

Quote Originally Posted by Purduekev View Post
    Based on your age, I am around your parents age so I come at this from probably their point of view.

1. Don't gamble. No matter how well you have done previously this is money you can't afford to lose. Make your parents proud by getting that debt they co-signed down as quickly as you can. Don't default on that loan even if your parents can afford it.

2. Don't go to Europe. Again, your concentration needs to be on employment at this time. I would not limit myself to a particular region of the country either. You have to go where the job that you will love leads you at this stage in your life. Maybe you can find a large corporation that transfers people to different areas of the country they would rather be. This happened in my case. I was in your shoes and my first job took me to Southwest Kansas of all places and in a year a and half through transfers they took me where I wanted to be. Do good at your job, tell them your future plans and your ideal location to live and they will notice. You just have to get your foot in the door now.

Probably not what you want to hear. I wish you luck.
    Very valid points. A couple things to point out, I have never been late on a payment. Due to a tax loophole, my parents' bank accounts are the ones having the funds withdrawn for my student debt. I'm on a 5 yr payment plan for that and 3 yr for car. Thus, at Christmas time, I gave them roughly $10k in cash to cover 12 months of loan payments entirely, so my debt to assets is actually near 1:1.

As for rent, my lease ends in April. I prepaid all of that, roughly 3k. Obviously time value of money could have made me a good bit but I did that so I don't have to worry about stress of paying bills.

20k of that money is making 2.25% interest but will slowly be converted to mid cap index fund soon. Good points, I will not travel. I have struggled with depression and being happy in life and one thing that I've realized is money does not buy me happiness, experiences do. I need to stop running from my issues and focus on addressing them, mainly right now, employment.

My student loan is 3.09% APR fixed, car loan 1.5%, no CC debt, 760 credit score. I paid for a year of school through poker so hence why I have not slowed down gambling at times, up 5k-6k YTD ironically, however making sure to prepay every bill should I go on a bad run.
    Last edited by eaglesfan371; 03-02-19 at 11:01 AM.

eaglesfan371

The more I have thought about it, the more I want to move. I am working with a couple recruiting agencies but again analyst roles are few and far between, every open position is strictly accounting.

I have applied to other areas but never a call back. Again, I would love to work in Texas especially. Good salary, no state income tax and low cost of real estate. I will never be able to buy a home here outside of Washington DC before I'm 30. 500k for apartments. The more I think about it, the more I want to just move there and find a job once there. I want to build wealth and it is just not possible here with cost of living and inability to acquire real estate.

If someone would be able to review my resume, I would appreciate it. Due to the nature of this website, would likely edit out my personal information though but would appreciate review on my experiences and format.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

My suggestion is do the right thing by your parents whilst you are still young enough for it to matter.

You may not get another chance.

SoCal Degen
    SoCal Degen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Jacobs Engineering currently has muitiple job openings in Texas.

eaglesfan371

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Degen View Post
    Jacobs Engineering currently has muitiple job openings in Texas.
    I just looked to see if there were any financial analyst or similar roles in Texas and could not find any on their careers search portal. There is an analyst position in San Diego available though. Do you work at Jacobs?

danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

step 1 get a job any job everyday needs to be +EV like or dont like dream greatest feel important or not
    step 2 if applying out of state, USE a local address and phone number ( google voice one of the services and forward to your cell) too many local people want jobs to even dream of hiring someone who is moving in JUST A FACT
    step 3 do you deserve to go to europe? 25k is lunch money brother, not big talking but 25k might be 6-8 months bills even in a modest world
    step 4 once you got any job, opportunities open up, never seen a guy start as an NLF coach, most clean toilets, asst to asst to the ast equipment manager to special teams ast towel sniffer to coordinator to coach. want to be an analyst get in the door of where that can happen not expect it walking in the door
    plan
    be determined
    play chess with life moves and moves ahead and never risk the queen or king!

PS most guys who say you only live once or got to try it or any of that adventure BS are broke fukks and dont have a penny in the bank or so much money they can say and do anything and it dont matter.

Purduekev
    Purduekev's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 306

Very valid points. A couple things to point out, I have never been late on a payment. Due to a tax loophole, my parents' bank accounts are the ones having the funds withdrawn for my student debt. I'm on a 5 yr payment plan for that and 3 yr for car. Thus, at Christmas time, I gave them roughly $10k in cash to cover 12 months of loan payments entirely, so my debt to assets is actually near 1:1.

As for rent, my lease ends in April. I prepaid all of that, roughly 3k. Obviously time value of money could have made me a good bit but I did that so I don't have to worry about stress of paying bills.

20k of that money is making 2.25% interest but will slowly be converted to mid cap index fund soon. Good points, I will not travel. I have struggled with depression and being happy in life and one thing that I've realized is money does not buy me happiness, experiences do. I need to stop running from my issues and focus on addressing them, mainly right now, employment.

My student loan is 3.09% APR fixed, car loan 1.5%, no CC debt, 760 credit score. I paid for a year of school through poker so hence why I have not slowed down gambling at times, up 5k-6k YTD ironically, however making sure to prepay every bill should I go on a bad run.
    You sound like a solid young man that your parents are proud of and always will be. Keep your head up, do the right things, be flexible to your situation, work hard and life will fall into place and good things will come your way.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

I have not slowed down gambling at times, up 5k-6k YTD
    I'm in a similar situation.

It is cool in ways but bringing in money that easily makes me lazy, its hard to stay motivated and hungry.

#1stworldproblems

leetreaper
    leetreaper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2140

UNRAEL lmaooooooooooooooo

The guy is unemployed with debt and thinks about travelling...
    Only on SBR

CLOWN SHOW

P.S. Get a job first you bum then you can think about other unimportant stuff...
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: USCPHILLYGUY

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Don’t wish bad on anyone so good luck with your career search.

Trying to think back when I was 24 and my dad co-signed on 40k plus loans AND living in his house and me saying “hey I’m headed to Europe for 5 weeks ”

leetreaper

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post

Trying to think back when I was 24 and my dad co-signed on 40k plus loans AND living in his house and me saying “hey I’m headed to Europe for 5 weeks ”

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

New York City, New York.......

Easily get a job there with the highest pay in the country.............

eaglesfan371

I have paid for my school and lived on my own for the past 4 years. When you were 20, did you run a small business out of your dorm that had over 100k in annual sales to pay for school? Bet you did not. The only reason my parents cosigned was so that the interest rate was 3% instead of 8-10%. Take your trolling elsewhere.

Edit: Before someone trolls and claims my business was selling drugs, it was a sports card & memorabilia business.
    Last edited by eaglesfan371; 03-02-19 at 12:44 PM.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

I have paid for my school and lived on my own for the past 4 years. When you were 20, did you run a small business out of your dorm that had over 100k in annual sales to pay for school? Bet you did not. The only reason my parents cosigned was so that the interest rate was 3% instead of 8-10%. Take your trolling elsewhere.

Edit: Before someone trolls and claims my business was selling drugs, it was a sports card & memorabilia business.
    Hey jerkoff look at my 1st sentence and ask if I’m trolling. I was merely sharing my own personal experience.

So you made 400k in 4 years of school and have 25k left? Ok.

eaglesfan371

Hey jerkoff look at my 1st sentence and ask if I’m trolling. I was merely sharing my own personal experience.

So you made 400k in 4 years of school and have 25k left? Ok.
    You are trolling. I made 110k sales in 10 months out of my dorm, 21k in profit. 18k profit poker year later. Summer jobs. Wasn't much but it helped go towards 4 years of school tuition + rent. Still needed student loans for 1.5 years.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by leetreaper View Post
    UNRAEL lmaooooooooooooooo

The guy is unemployed with debt and thinks about travelling...
    Only on SBR

CLOWN SHOW

P.S. Get a job first you bum then you can think about other unimportant stuff...
    You’re right. I’m trolling

Good luck in your job search.

SoCal Degen
    SoCal Degen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Go to there website and select Staff positions in the US. There is currently 123 positions available that have to do with "Finance"

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

eagles maybe you should hire a headhunter.
    like Babich or Lucas Group both in Texas

poking around too much is a waste of time.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Eaglesfan you want to start a business?

Lets do a website for fantasy baseball website and charge $10 a month

We will let people get a week free

PM me if you are interested, I’m a good salesmen and I can teach you how to sell too

Your accounting background will come in handy

leetreaper

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Eaglesfan you want to start a business?

Lets do a website for fantasy baseball website and charge $10 a month

We will let people get a week free

PM me if you are interested, I’m a good salesmen and I can teach you how to sell too

Your accounting background will come in handy

12 Last