GT21Megatron
    GT21Megatron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6199

Herniated Disc

So I started having issues back in January with tightness in my right ass cheek. I didn’t think anything of it. I tried to stretch this this out and got a foam roller and it gradually got worse. Come March it was bad. I could only sit in certain positions etc without driving pain down the right side of body. I sucked it up and went to the DR for the first time in probably 10 years. They put me on steroids for a week which relieved the pain but as soon as I came off it the pain came back. I went to orthopedic and they told me I could get steroid injections but required an MRI to do it. MRI came back and it was a herniated disc. Basically the disc is being pushed back into the sciatic nerve. It’s the worst pain I’ve ever had in my life. I got the steroid injection and got relief that same day. I been doing physical therapy and it’s helping and set to get the second steroid shot next Wednesday. Physical therapy with electronic stim has been helping big time. Curious if any other posters have had this issue because last thing I want to do is go under the knife. I’ve heard horror stories about it.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Don’t go under the knife unless you absolutely have no choice.

Sucks about the back problems. I’ve dealt with it most of my life.

hope your situation improves. Take it easy and don’t overdo things

2ndchance
    2ndchance's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 206

Has anybody tried the really good decompression machine to help with a herniation?

GT21Megatron

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

Whats your stem from? You had surgery?

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20232

My dad had stenosis which is kind of similar I think. He got a ton of treatment from chiropractic care to cortisone shots. It took him about a year to get fully better, for a while he could barely even walk.

I can't relate to your problem, but I've had some lingering back issues. Chiropractic care and massage was nice, check to see if your insurance will cover those.

GT21Megatron

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    My dad had stenosis which is kind of similar I think. He got a ton of treatment from chiropractic care to cortisone shots. It took him about a year to get fully better, for a while he could barely even walk.

I can't relate to your problem, but I've had some lingering back issues. Chiropractic care and massage was nice, check to see if your insurance will cover those.
    Got top notch insurance. Have covered basically everything up until this point except the co-pays. I have heard good and bad things about chiropractors also. I don’t want people fuking with me.....it took a lot for me to grab my balls and go to the DR.....it was getting to where I couldn’t walk. Shit is awful boys

TheToffer
    TheToffer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6063

Screwed with a messed up L5 for 2 years (I'm 39 years old). Pain Block injections and steriods. Doc said I had the back of a healthy 18 year old, except for my L5 area (said it was like I was 90).

November of 2017, I was finally tired of the shots and constant pain limiting anything I wanted to do. I opted for a Microdiscectomy the Monday following Thanksgiving.

Best decision health-wise I have ever made. I was off of work for only 6 days. I work as an Operations Manager (warehouse/logistics) at a large production plant so no physical labor, but a lot of walking, which is encouraged right from the start of rehab/recovery. I was scheduled for 8 weeks of rehab, but was released after 7 due to how much mobility and balance I was able to get back.

I started running and working out 3-4 days a week at the beginning of March and will be running two 5Ks in May. I kick myself for not getting it taken care of earlier.

Moral of the story is, don't be afraid of the knife. You could be missing out.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Take it easy, try not aggravate the situation. If the disc is herniated and not bulging, then it could be a problem when conservative methods don't work.

Herniated discs can be fixed and the surgery is fairly routine. It's not as crazy or risky as many other procedures. Your problems are common and that surgery could provide good relief.

Stick with what your doing if it's working. It won't take long to figure out when you are pushing it too far each day.

You could end up injuring other parts if you don't surgically repair that which will not heal on its own.

Good Luck.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by TheToffer View Post
    Screwed with a messed up L5 for 2 years (I'm 39 years old). Pain Block injections and steriods. Doc said I had the back of a healthy 18 year old, except for my L5 area (said it was like I was 90).

November of 2017, I was finally tired of the shots and constant pain limiting anything I wanted to do. I opted for a Microdiscectomy the Monday following Thanksgiving.

Best decision health-wise I have ever made. I was off of work for only 6 days. I work as an Operations Manager (warehouse/logistics) at a large production plant so no physical labor, but a lot of walking, which is encouraged right from the start of rehab/recovery. I was scheduled for 8 weeks of rehab, but was released after 7 due to how much mobility and balance I was able to get back.

I started running and working out 3-4 days a week at the beginning of March and will be running two 5Ks in May. I kick myself for not getting it taken care of earlier.

A point that goes along with what I was trying to make. You may find that it won't get better on its own and the longer you wait the worse things could get or, at best, it's just more suffering for you.

GT21Megatron

Quote Originally Posted by TheToffer View Post

Good info man. Appreciate it

GT21Megatron

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    A point that goes along with what I was trying to make. You may find that it won't get better on its own and the longer you wait the worse things could get or, at best, it's just more suffering for you.
    They got my doing traction where they strap you down to a table around your waste and t pulls on your lower body to try to get that disc off the nerve. I can tell a big difference so far

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12952

Going to the DR for treatment and going to the Dr. for treatment are two completely different things.
    Points Awarded:

b1slickguy gave gauchojake 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10170

Microdiscectomy honestly not as big a deal as some othe rmajor back surgeries, ie laminecotmies or fusions. Sounds like you are doing well with conservative treatment(PT, electro stun). But if you are continuing have recurrent issues and you are healthy without any other major chronic pain or mental health isssues, you’ll likely do well with discectomy. It is a surgery so it’s not without it’s risks but I see majorityl do well as long as those other comorbdities I mentioned aren’t present.

RangeFinder
    RangeFinder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2697

I've had two discs operated on. L4 and 5. Went back to playing baseball and golf after a year. The procedure is called a Lumbar Laminectomy Microdisectomy. Dr. made a 2 inch incision and went in with a scope and laser and relieved the pressure off the sciatic nerve. I was walking stairs the next day. I could've went back to playing sports after about 3 month's but the Dr. told me to wait a full year even though I felt like I could do anything. That surgery was 27 years ago and I have not had a problem since. Surgery is no longer a last resort as they have come a long way in the orthepedic field.
    Points Awarded:

GT21Megatron gave RangeFinder 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheToffer

TheToffer
    TheToffer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6063

To give an idea on the size of the cut, it was surprisingly small, but it cuts thru some really important core muscles.

Well...nevermind. I can't figure out how to post a picture.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Mega good luck

Do your research

Go to
    Numerous drs

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by GT21Megatron View Post
    They got my doing traction where they strap you down to a table around your waste and t pulls on your lower body to try to get that disc off the nerve. I can tell a big difference so far
    This is good news and if the disc were bulging it may even correct itself.

But with the herniation, it can be trickier. If you're getting relief and it's not affecting you or hurting other areas, you can probably buy a little time. A good herniation might have to get patched up.

Some good posts in this thread, it's not all horror stories with such a "routine" procedure.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11478

Best way to keep a healthy back pain free for life is to not have a big belly, work core and stretch daily..

I know this because I'm 6'6" and had back problems in my 30's from grappling and bulking up with Muscle and running long distances... Today at 50 my back feels great, stretch for 10 minutes every morning, don't have a gut and can run and be as active as anyone in their 30's today..

Healthy diet is big obviously.. Fruits and Veggies, get em in the body daily.. Try taking oil supplements daily as well.. Fish, Flax and Hemp Oils capsules work.. That's what I do and it works like wonders over time...

If I start to get fat or too heavy with upper body muscle weight the first thing that starts hurting is my back..
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 04-23-18 at 08:41 PM.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Whats your stem from? You had surgery?

My dad has had three and isn’t that much better off for them. He’s getting around, but still in pain. Maybe his was more serious, dunno. I never saw the improvement for him. Maybe your situation is different.

My issue is more muscular. Feels like a constant cramp in my neck and upper back. I’ve found ways to manage. Most days are better than others.

b1slickguy
    WDKYWMYAK
    b1slickguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29270

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Going to the DR for treatment and going to the Dr. for treatment are two completely different things.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

my T7 vertebrae compressed, it hurts but surgery is the only option to fix it

i was on a 10lb lifting restriction and back brace for 6 months...no driving...nothing essentially, sucked but thats just life sometimes

id rather deal with the pain than surgery

plus no lifting restrictions anymore

not a big deal

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20012

Acquaintance of mine had back surgery and then another and then another.....ended up having 5. Got addicted to pills. Got clean but told me he almost threw everything away just to get more pills to feel better - that's how bad the pain was.

HurryUpAndDrink
    HurryUpAndDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!

So I started having issues back in January with tightness in my right ass cheek. I didn’t think anything of it. I tried to stretch this this out and got a foam roller and it gradually got worse. Come March it was bad. I could only sit in certain positions etc without driving pain down the right side of body. I sucked it up and went to the DR for the first time in probably 10 years. They put me on steroids for a week which relieved the pain but as soon as I came off it the pain came back. I went to orthopedic and they told me I could get steroid injections but required an MRI to do it. MRI came back and it was a herniated disc. Basically the disc is being pushed back into the sciatic nerve. It’s the worst pain I’ve ever had in my life. I got the steroid injection and got relief that same day. I been doing physical therapy and it’s helping and set to get the second steroid shot next Wednesday. Physical therapy with electronic stim has been helping big time. Curious if any other posters have had this issue because last thing I want to do is go under the knife. I’ve heard horror stories about it.
    Too bad you didn't break your neck. But this is surely a nice start

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieDog View Post
    Acquaintance of mine had back surgery and then another and then another.....ended up having 5. Got addicted to pills. Got clean but told me he almost threw everything away just to get more pills to feel better - that's how bad the pain was.
    they got me off percs quick, which i appreciated very much...those pills can ruin your life

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

Good luck.between 4 and 5th pop out.played basketball.i was 5 8 this guy was 6 5 and built like jared lorenzen.Dude didn t need to enen jump to block my shot. Went to chiropractor for decade. Now that I'm in my fifties it's just one of another things that hurt me. One thing I can tell you is get fat because the fatter you get the less it hurts good luck brother

GT21Megatron

Quote Originally Posted by kidcudi92 View Post
    they got me off percs quick, which i appreciated very much...those pills can ruin your life
    My family dr prescribed these to me. When they were out and I went to the orthopedic he wouldn’t prescribe them to me. Gave me 750 ** Methocarbonal. Glad you didn’t have to go under the knife bro. This pain is no joke

HurryUpAndDrink

LOL so basically you are a semi cripple....

No wonder the bitterness

firedawg
    firedawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1066

Quote Originally Posted by HurryUpAndDrink View Post
    Too bad you didn't break your neck. But this is surely a nice start
    This bitch cries to mods about people coming In his threads
    Then pulls this shit?

You need your head examined hurry

HurryUpAndDrink

Quote Originally Posted by firedawg View Post
    Then pulls this shit?

Megatron comes at me he is your ally... all of you 4-5 pricks are fair game... ill wipe you out at any cost.

My enemy list is real short online nowdays... its basically the 4-5 of you.

You see me doing this to anyone else besides you assholes? No... your fukkin strategy is to try and pass lies as arguments, fukkin scum u are

firedawg

Quote Originally Posted by HurryUpAndDrink View Post
    Megatron comes at me he is your ally... all of you 4-5 pricks are fair game... ill wipe you out at any cost.

My enemy list is real short online nowdays... its basically the 4-5 of you.

You see me doing this to anyone else besides you assholes? No... your fukkin strategy is to try and pass lies as arguments, fukkin scum u are
    You are a joke
    Go eat some ****

GT21Megatron

Quote Originally Posted by firedawg View Post
    Then pulls this shit?

I don’t entertain this clown anymore dude. It gets his little pecker hard. Looking at that picture he posted is LOL funny. He’s a brain dead meth addicted broke dik who plays Harry Potter in the Forrest. Just ignore it. It’s honestly a joke at this point. No decent looking chick gonna let someone looking like that have sex with them unless it’s against there will. No wonder he’s always on drugs. Only way he can get any butt

firedawg

I don’t entertain this clown anymore dude. It gets his little pecker hard. Looking at that picture he posted is LOL funny. He’s a brain dead meth addicted broke dik who plays Harry Potter in the Forrest. Just ignore it. It’s honestly a joke at this point. No decent looking chick gonna let someone looking like that have sex with them unless it’s against there will. No wonder he’s always on drugs. Only way he can get any butt
    Truth
    Gl today pal
    I’m done whipping him around

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

Agreed

Have known several who have & not one success story

GT21Megatron

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    Agreed

Have known several who have & not one success story
    Thanks man. I’m trying to avoid that st all cost

HurryUpAndDrink

Thanks man. I’m trying to avoid that st all cost
    I hope you get addicted to pain killers / opiates and punch the ticket of an OD

123 Last