GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Smokers (bbq)

Looking into getting a smoker this summer and the online reviews are all over the place. Any SBRers have smokers? Shoot me the pros and cons and what brand I should be looking to get into.

TxAaron
    TxAaron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

There are tons of variables depending on what's important to you. I would go with an offset smoker, you can cook absolutely anything on it from brisket, ribs, chicken or whatever.

The brand is all going to depend on your budget. Try to find one that has at least 3/8" steel fire box so you don't have to worry about it rusting out too quickly.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Quote Originally Posted by TxAaron View Post
    There are tons of variables depending on what's important to you. I would go with an offset smoker, you can cook absolutely anything on it from brisket, ribs, chicken or whatever.

The brand is all going to depend on your budget. Try to find one that has at least 3/8" steel fire box so you don't have to worry about it rusting out too quickly.
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I don't know my budget yet, but I don't want to get anything too cheap that just falls apart or doesn't hold a reliable temp.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Weber Kettle (the good one, close to $200) still wins the America's Test Kitchen yearly award every time. Has the hinged grate so you can clean easier.

If I was allowed to grill in my condo complex, I would have no problem spending money on something I was going to use a lot.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post
    Looking into getting a smoker this summer and the online reviews are all over the place. Any SBRers have smokers? Shoot me the pros and cons and what brand I should be looking to get into.

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain. It's good enough that Weber has been making them for about 40 years with minimal changes.
    This site has reviews of a quite a few smokers - http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...el_tid%5B%5D=1

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I'm not a smoker expert...

But I do know a lot about charcoal grilling. I grill once a week... even in the winter time here in Michigan. All charcoal grills fall apart. I purchased Sam's Club's best at around $300.00 and it was probably the worst one... Didn't even last a year.

I look for something around $150.00 with about 620 sq inch cooking surface. Sears.com oddly enough has a wide selection of affordable grills. Some with the attached smoker. I try to get 2 years out of a grill... and then throw it away.

I'm all about style and value... wish those $700.00+ grills stayed pretty... but they never do.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    I have a Weber Smokey Mountain. It's good enough that Weber has been making them for about 40 years with minimal changes.
    This site has reviews of a quite a few smokers - http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...el_tid%5B%5D=1
    I think this the one I'm going to get. I've spent a few hours watching videos on this smoker and it's worth a try.

Thanks for the link. It has a tremendous amount of information.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I'm not a smoker expert...

But I do know a lot about charcoal grilling. I grill once a week... even in the winter time here in Michigan. All charcoal grills fall apart. I purchased Sam's Club's best at around $300.00 and it was probably the worst one... Didn't even last a year.

I look for something around $150.00 with about 620 sq inch cooking surface. Sears.com oddly enough has a wide selection of affordable grills. Some with the attached smoker. I try to get 2 years out of a grill... and then throw it away.

I'm all about style and value... wish those $700.00+ grills stayed pretty... but they never do.
    Thanks, Money.

I have a Weber Kettle right now. It was about $150 and I use it more in the fall/winter here in Central, FL, than in the summer; about the complete opposite of you boys in MI. I'm looking for a smoker because it's so fuking hot here in the summer that I hate standing around the grill, even for five minutes.

TheMoneyShot

Thanks, Money.

I have a Weber Kettle right now. It was about $150 and I use it more in the fall/winter here in Central, FL, than in the summer; about the complete opposite of you boys in MI. I'm looking for a smoker because it's so fuking hot here in the summer that I hate standing around the grill, even for five minutes.
    I totally understand. Hope that smoker works out for you.

reedy
    reedy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2417

I have a big green egg. It looks awesome. Would love to let you know how it is but it's sat in my back yard for 2 years and I've never used it. Should have bought a bird birth.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

^you can always sell it, those things hold their value very well especially if you haven't used it. They are awesome smokers tho and worth the extra price because it gives you a lot more functionality than a regular smoker.

Are you going to cook a lot of food or host big parties?

If not, I'd just get an electric smoker to start. Masterbuilt makes a very good one and the amount of time it will save you from checking the food is unbeatable. Temperature control is most important thing so if you don't have to wake up every hour of the morning to check on your brisket that is a plus.

Electric smoker + this tray with wood pellets and you really don't have to do anything except wait. You light one corner and it slowly burns to the other. Refill and drop it back in. You can use this tray in regular smoker too and I would recommend it if the smoker is small in size like the electric one.

Of course, the more food you put into the electric smoker the less efficient it will become just like an oven.

If you want something more "hands on" then get a regular smoker but I would highly recommend you either DIY a temp control fan or buy one. Again, the time it will save you is worth every penny. If you're only smoking ribs and pork butts then it helps but if you're smoking big pieces of meat for long hours it is a big help.

So if you get a regular smoker I'd recommend a horizontal one. Reviews are tricky with things like smokers, a lot of people just don't know wtf they are doing then blame the product. And, nothing wrong with buying used either if the deal is good enough. It's hard to penetrate up a smoker to the point it can't be used.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

also, check that forum out.
    Last edited by brooks85; 04-20-17 at 09:38 AM.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Thanks, Brooks, I'll keep that in mind. I'll take a look at the forum, too. I don't have have a big family but I have friends that stop over and it would be nice to try to cook some new things. Plus the BBQ in the Orlando area is shit. I'd rather do it myself then go to any of the places around here.

brooks85

No problem, you'll have to try Atomic Buffalo turds lol ridiculous name but your friends/family will most likely love them like most people do.

And, I'd also recommend marinating everything you get(meat) in beer especially if you plan on smoking a lot. Beer reduces the carcinogens and cancerous causing effects from smoking the food.

Plus, beer is a great marinade so it's win-win.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

brooks85

lol yep, they are so good. Great for parties because everyone will be talking about them for days. Most people follow the same routine when they first hear the name and see them;

1.disgust when hearing the name
    2.disgust at first glance because they do look like a turd kind of
    3. intrigued upon closer inspection and they realize it's wrapped in bacon
    4. take a bite and hooked like they just smoked crack

funny every time

I remember when I first start smoking I was surprised how much better it was than surrounding BBQ places and that was with little experience and this brinkmann smoker I got for free. That is what is great about BBQ for small business owners, even shitty to average BBQ will still sell.
    Last edited by brooks85; 04-20-17 at 11:05 AM.

reedy
    reedy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2417

I think you've done convinced me. Gonna clean off the egg tonight and see what I can do this weekend. Supposed to be decent weather here in Chevy Chase, MD.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

also, check that forum out.

Thanks, Brooks, I'll keep that in mind. I'll take a look at the forum, too..
    If you haven't checked yet you'll prob be disappointed gums, not what we thought they meant, xhamster has much better smoking meat section fwiw

Good luck in your smoker search

brooks85

^lol

Quote Originally Posted by reedy View Post
    I think you've done convinced me. Gonna clean off the egg tonight and see what I can do this weekend. Supposed to be decent weather here in Chevy Chase, MD.
    excellent, once you get used to your grill try doing tandoori chicken with your big green egg. That is just awesome stuff right there and can't do that with a regular smoker.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    If you haven't checked yet you'll prob be disappointed gums, not what we thought they meant, xhamster has much better smoking meat section fwiw

Good luck in your smoker search
    I've made a horrible mistake.
    Points Awarded:

SharpAngles gave GUMMO77 25 Betpoint(s) for this post.

TheMoneyShot

Now you guys got me thinking about buying a smoker. I read this thread... I get hungry.

brooks85

perfect time since good weather is here.

Smoked salmon is amazing and get a smoker big enough to do Crown of Ribs. Great meal for the holidays or big events and presentation is great.

Just make sure you don't buy cheap-grade meat. Boston butt(pork shoulder) doesn't much matter, you'll get good bbq even with a cut from krogers but it will better with higher grade obviously. But, the point is for brisket I wouldn't even waste my time cooking a piece from krogers.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

It all depends on your comfort level with the process. I have had offset, vertical, egg, and electric smokers. Pellet smokers produce a great product and you pretty much set it and forget it - cheating in my opinion but whatever. You don't have to stand near it to get a nice piece of meat. I am currently using an egg shaped product and once you get the temp right, it is awesome and doesn't feel like cheating. I will be doing a pork butt this weekend.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11866

I got a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Works for me. Paid about $400.

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    I have a Weber Smokey Mountain as well and I love it. That web site is my go-to place for everything smoker related.

Last year I smoked a turkey breast. I buy the bone-in/skin-on breast and de-bone it for faster cooking time and better smoke absorbancy.

I also brine it over night in water/salt/buttermilk brine. It's the juiciest turkey breast I've ever tasted. I also put a dry rub under the skin. The skin gets nice and brown and crispy and flavorful and the meat is smoky of course.

Everyone loved it.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: GUMMO77

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Cheater smoker smokie

brooks85

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    I got a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Works for me. Paid about $400.
    I have the 40'' I got years ago, it's great for saving time especially during Winter or shitty weather. It can hold a lot of food too. When weather is nice and I'm in the mood I'll do it the manual way.

I always push people towards an electric smoker to start. It's just easier and better for the long run if they ever do decide to get a regular smoker. That way they will already have experience on how to cook the meat and what kind of benchmarks to hit. Now all they have to do is master their smoker and controlling the temperature.

If someone jumps into smoking and uses a regular smoker it's certainly doable but there is just a lot more variables to handle at once. Probably going to ruin a lot of meat at first but that is just how it goes.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Shit, I'm hungry now. Thanks brooks. Gotta go buy some damn salmon, but could use the nutrients, and all that good stuff anyway.

brooks85

I keep this a secret because don't want demand to grow too much lol

but this is the best place to get salmon if you don't live in a great area for fish.

http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/...ing_Salmon.htm

hard to beat that, product and price. Never-frozen king salmon from Alaska and only $20/lb.

white king salmon is the best tho, that stuff is on another level compared to red salmon.

and salmon belly meat beats it all
    Last edited by brooks85; 04-25-17 at 05:15 PM.

BrickJames
    Action
    BrickJames's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8914

I use the standard Weber with Kingsford original coals. I have tried different grills I have tried different briquettes, I always end up with a webber.