PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

The True Story Of The Poison Known As Aspartame

<dl><dt>January 1981-- Donald Rumsfeld, CEO of Searle, states in a sales meeting that he is going to make a big push to get aspartame approved within the year. Rumsfeld says he will use his political pull in Washington, rather than scientific means, to make sure it gets approved.
    </dt><dt> </dt><dt>January 21, 1981-- Ronald Reagan is sworn in as President of the United States. Reagan's transition team, which includes Donald Rumsfeld, CEO of G. D. Searle, hand picks Dr. Arthur Hull Hayes Jr. to be the new FDA Commissioner. </dt><dt> </dt><dt>March, 1981-- An FDA commissioner's panel is established to review issues raised by the Public Board of Inquiry. </dt><dt> </dt><dt>May 19, 1981-- Three of six in-house FDA scientists who were responsible for reviewing the brain tumor issues, Dr. Robert Condon, Dr. Satya Dubey, and Dr. Douglas Park, advise against approval of NutraSweet, stating on the record that the Searle tests are unreliable and not adequate to determine the safety of aspartame. </dt><dt> </dt><dt>July 15, 1981-- In one of his first official acts, Dr. Arthur Hayes Jr., the new FDA commissioner, overrules the Public Board of Inquiry, ignores the recommendations of his own internal FDA team and approves NutraSweet for dry products. Hayes says that aspartame has been shown to be safe for its' proposed uses and says few compounds have withstood such detailed testing and repeated close scrutiny. </dt><dt> </dt><dt>October 15, 1982-- The FDA announces that Searle has filed a petition that aspartame be approved as a sweetener in carbonated beverages and other liquids. </dt><dt> </dt><dt>July 1, 1983-- The National Soft Drink Association (NSDA) urges the FDA to delay approval of aspartame for carbonated beverages pending further testing because aspartame is very unstable in liquid form. When liquid aspartame is stored in temperatures above 85 degrees Fahrenheit, it breaks down into DKP and formaldehyde, both of which are known toxins. </dt></dl>
    http://rense.com/general33/legal.htm
    Points Awarded:

PokinSmot gave PhillyFlyers 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Bump. This story needs to be told.

TheRifleman
    TheRifleman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

yawn

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

roanildinho
    roanildinho's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1778

they put this shit in everything..

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by roanildinho View Post
    they put this shit in everything..
    Yes, they do and if you get cancer or some other fukking disease from it, you can thank Donald Rumsfeld.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

LOL. OP has officially gone off the deep end. People will find anything to b.itch about. People like OP just can't seem to be happy no matter what.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    LOL. OP has officially gone off the deep end. People will find anything to b.itch about. People like OP just can't seem to be happy no matter what.
    You got the wrong guy pal.

I just finished smoking an Asylum 13 cigar with Maker's Mark.

I'm happy.

retard
    retard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 112

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    This one actually isn't crazy aspartame is very bad for you.

Kermit

PhillyFlyers, supposedly Obama(according to Alex Jones) is putting chemicals in our food that is turning the American people queer. I would like to see if you can do some investigative news on it.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    PhillyFlyers, supposedly Obama(according to Alex Jones) is putting chemicals in our food that is turning the American people queer. I would like to see if you can do some investigative news on it.
    I'll check it out.

BTW who is Alex Jones? Is he a reliable reporter/news source?

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    I'll check it out.

BTW who is Alex Jones? Is he a reliable reporter/news source?
    He is some goofball that thinks that every single thing that happens in the U.S. is a conspiracy.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Aspartame gives me wicked headaches..I kinda believe that shit could be poison.

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

As much as these posts usually annoy me,

When I was a young teenager I got diagnosed with aspartame poisoning, it was horrible, I was very sick for a few years, I was fine in 2 weeks after removing aspartame from my diet.

And no, I'm not joking around to trying to be sarcastic, this is legitimate stuff.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: retard

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Is aspartame in Red Bull?

If it is I'm fukked.

Oh well.

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Actually when I was young, I drank a large amount of diet soda, but then you don't know any better when you are 13.

In any case, I was diagnosed as a severe diabetic, as I would suffer what appeared to be severe blood sugar attacks, break out into cold sweats, faint after 2 hours without eating, etc. It was actually making normal functioning extremely difficult, and I was always sick. I'd turn pale, start cold sweating, and become faint on a daily basis. The symptoms were almost identical to that which would be suffered by an elderly person with severe diabetes without the bodily degeneration that comes with lifelong diabetes.

I received treatment as a diabetic, and part of that treatment was to actually switch to aspartame instead of glucose, and it did not help the symptoms in any way, in fact they just kept getting worse and worse. Went to go see (one of the few) REPUTABLE (and I can not stress that word enough, because most of these people are flakes) naturopaths in the city, after some questioning he diagnosed me with acute aspartame poisoning in less then 20 minutes.

I cut out the aspartame, and 2 weeks later I was fine, and it has never been a problem ever again.

This stuff is extremely toxic, and granted, I still pound back the beers and smoke like a goddamn chimney, so I'm not trying to preach about healthy living to anyone, but this stuff is horrible.
    Points Awarded:

SteelRain gave Sacrelicious 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

pouyasophy gave Sacrelicious 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SteelRain, and pouyasophy

Let's Go Rangers
    A moderate voice in the polarized forum
    Let's Go Rangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I have a feeling he will be behind that move

If you know what I mean

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

i don't like that stuff, get weird feeling in my side. turns out the body turns it into formaldehyde. the shit they try to pull these days is unreal.

retard
    retard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 112

He is some goofball that thinks that every single thing that happens in the U.S. is a conspiracy.

That is everything you need to know about alex jones... Most nuts(paulypoker) watch him all day and repost everything he says

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1482

I drink about 4 diet dr peppers a day. whenever my mom sees me drinking one she chews my ear off about this aspartame stuff. It was hard enough getting off regular soda and going diet and now i'm being told it may be worse for me. penetrate my life

TheRifleman

total BS!! Flawed study!..I have been drinking diet soda like crazy for years and years and years...and you can't get healthier than I am....what CRAP!

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Not that I expect people like Phlly to acknowledge the use of science in discussions as these, but for those of you with half/brain, here is a an published study from the Critical Review of Toxicology---an actual scientific publication that uses something called research to draw their conclusions.

Here is the link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?D...ubmed_RVDocSum

Here is the abstract:

Abstract

Aspartame is a methyl ester of a dipeptide used as a synthetic nonnutritive sweetener in over 90 countries worldwide in over 6000 products. The purpose of this investigation was to review the scientific literature on the absorption and metabolism, the current consumption levels worldwide, the toxicology, and recent epidemiological studies on aspartame. Current use levels of aspartame, even by high users in special subgroups, remains well below the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and European Food Safety Authority established acceptable daily intake levels of 50 and 40 **/kg bw/day, respectively. Consumption of large doses of aspartame in a single bolus dose will have an effect on some biochemical parameters, including plasma amino acid levels and brain neurotransmitter levels. The rise in plasma levels of phenylalanine and aspartic acid following administration of aspartame at doses less than or equal to 50 **/kg bw do not exceed those observed postprandially. Acute, subacute and chronic toxicity studies with aspartame, and its decomposition products, conducted in mice, rats, hamsters and dogs have consistently found no adverse effect of aspartame with doses up to at least 4000 **/kg bw/day. Critical review of all carcinogenicity studies conducted on aspartame found no credible evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic. The data from the extensive investigations into the possibility of neurotoxic effects of aspartame, in general, do not support the hypothesis that aspartame in the human diet will affect nervous system function, learning or behavior. Epidemiological studies on aspartame include several case-control studies and one well-conducted prospective epidemiological study with a large cohort, in which the consumption of aspartame was measured. The studies provide no evidence to support an association between aspartame and cancer in any tissue. The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener.

chilidog

The really cool part about science is that it doesn't really matter if people choose to accept it as fact or not - it is what it is. I enjoy reading studies available on pubmeb, and I wish that more of them were available for free (or that I had university-level access to it).

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    Not that I expect people like Phlly to acknowledge the use of science in discussions as these, but for those of you with half/brain, here is a an published study from the Critical Review of Toxicology---an actual scientific publication that uses something called research to draw their conclusions.

Here is the link:

Here is the abstract:

Abstract

Aspartame is a methyl ester of a dipeptide used as a synthetic nonnutritive sweetener in over 90 countries worldwide in over 6000 products. The purpose of this investigation was to review the scientific literature on the absorption and metabolism, the current consumption levels worldwide, the toxicology, and recent epidemiological studies on aspartame. Current use levels of aspartame, even by high users in special subgroups, remains well below the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and European Food Safety Authority established acceptable daily intake levels of 50 and 40 **/kg bw/day, respectively. Consumption of large doses of aspartame in a single bolus dose will have an effect on some biochemical parameters, including plasma amino acid levels and brain neurotransmitter levels. The rise in plasma levels of phenylalanine and aspartic acid following administration of aspartame at doses less than or equal to 50 **/kg bw do not exceed those observed postprandially. Acute, subacute and chronic toxicity studies with aspartame, and its decomposition products, conducted in mice, rats, hamsters and dogs have consistently found no adverse effect of aspartame with doses up to at least 4000 **/kg bw/day. Critical review of all carcinogenicity studies conducted on aspartame found no credible evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic. The data from the extensive investigations into the possibility of neurotoxic effects of aspartame, in general, do not support the hypothesis that aspartame in the human diet will affect nervous system function, learning or behavior. Epidemiological studies on aspartame include several case-control studies and one well-conducted prospective epidemiological study with a large cohort, in which the consumption of aspartame was measured. The studies provide no evidence to support an association between aspartame and cancer in any tissue. The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8491

ass
    Attached Images  

TheRifleman

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    ass
    those "symptoms' are indicative of hundreds of causes.....do you eat pototo chips? A lot of those symptoms apply..do you eat hot dogs?..same thing; is sugar in your diet...SAME THING.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    total BS!! Flawed study!..I have been drinking diet soda like crazy for years and years and years...and you can't get healthier than I am....what CRAP!
    Well that explains your condition...

Drinking tons of diet soda has infected your brain in the same way rabies does.........
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: retard

chilidog

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Well that explains your condition...
    Now if we can only explain yours...

ArchieBunker
    ArchieBunker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11356

Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    Hold it Champ there might be something to this just read Don Juans posts

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Here is the link:

Here is the abstract:

Abstract

This is a stupid post. Misinformed too.

Aspartame is a poison. It breaks down into formaldehyde and then into formic acid. Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants and causes metabolic acidosis.
    The methanol toxicity mimics multiple sclerosis; thus people are being diagnosed with having multiple sclerosis in error. The multiple sclerosis is not a death sentence, where methanol toxicity is.

In the case of systemic lupus, we are finding it has become almost as rampant as multiple sclerosis, especially Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi drinkers. Also, with methanol toxicity, the victims usually drink three to four <nobr>12 oz.</nobr> cans of them per day, some even more. In the cases of systemic lupus, which is triggered by ASPARTAME, the victim usually does not know that the aspartame is the culprit. The victim continues its use aggravating the lupus to such a degree, that sometimes it becomes life threatening.
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

About the studies done on Aspartame...
    Dr. Jacqueline Verrett, a former FDA toxicologist, and member of an FD A task force that investigated the authenticity of research done by Searle to establish the safety of aspartame, says she believes the original aspartame studies were "built on a foundation of sand." (20) She testified in front of a U.S. Senate hearing in 1987 that flawed tests conducted by Searle - used as the basis of FDA approval - were a "disaster" and should have been "thrown out." She said she believe d the studies left many unanswered questions about possible birth defects and the safety of aspartame. (20)
    Verrett said the team was instructed not to be concerned with, or comment upon, the overall validity of the study. She said a subsequent review discarded or ignored the problems and deficiencies outlined by her team's original report. She said, "serious departures from acceptable toxicological protocols" that her investigative team noted in the revaluation of these studies were also discounted.(20)
    She warned that any of the improper practices would compromise and negate a safety study of a food additive. Verrett concluded the data in the study was worthless, and the safety of aspartame and its breakdown products have therefore not been determined.(20) She emphasised that aspartame exists in the marketplace without basic toxicity information. She said there are not data to assess the interactions with DKP, excess phenylalanine, other aspartame metabolites, additives, drugs, or other chemicals. In her testimony, Verrett elaborated on DKP problems, including significant increases of uterine polyps and changes in blood cholesterol. DKP is formed when liquids in particular are pre-sweetened with aspartame. The production of DKP is vulnerable to increase in temperature and higher temperatures produce increasing amounts of DKP. She reminded members of the Congressional Committee "that is why initially, aspartame was not intended or not planned to be used in liquids because of this decomposition...it was decided it was too unstable to be used in hot preparations, hot liquids, an d also in diet drinks." (20)
    http://aspartame.tripod.com/ic1.htm

SamDiamond

This is a stupid post. Misinformed too.

Aspartame is a poison. It breaks down into formaldehyde and then into formic acid. Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants and causes metabolic acidosis.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

About the studies done on Aspartame...

http://aspartame.tripod.com/ic1.htm
    It's stupid, why?

Because it is actual science?

It is an abstract, do you know what an abstract is? I'm guessing that would be like asking you if you knew what Fermat's theorum is.

You linked a woman's testimony from 1987. 26 fuking years ago.

The link I provided included 29 clinical studies-- none of which prove Aspartame has any negative consequence.

Nice try, though.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

It's stupid, why?

Because it is actual science?

It is an abstract, do you know what an abstract is? I'm guessing that would be like asking you if you knew what Fermat's theorum is.

You linked a woman's testimony from 1987. 26 fuking years ago.

The link I provided included 29 clinical studies-- none of which prove Aspartame has any negative consequence.

Nice try, though.
    It's stupid because it's uniformed.

The studies are bullshit for a variety of reasons, which was in the post if bothered to read it which you didn't.

Yeah, 26 years ago in which she testifies, under oath, that the studies, done by aspartame's parent company, were insufficient and basically fixed.
    Last edited by PhillyFlyers; 05-13-13 at 10:49 PM.

SamDiamond

It's stupid because it's uniformed.

The studies are bullshit for a variety of reasons, which was in the post if bothered to read it which you didn't.

Yeah, 26 years ago in which she testifies, under oath, that the studies were insufficient and basically fixed.
    How can she comment in 1987 on studies that happened from 1996-2012?

That's some kind of magic trick.

I'll tell you what Sherlock.

How much money are you willing to wager that you don't have the education or brain to find a single fuking thing wrong with any published clinical study.

You're a fuking high school graduate AT BEST from where, Roxborough? South Philly? You're a dumbass, and watching you try and breakdown a clinical study will be the funniest fuking thing posted on SBR.

I can't wait until you get into the meta analysis, and tell us why the standard deviations for the respective studies are outside the margins of error.

I'll sit back and wait. Please post your peer review of any published study I linked.

Last edited by SamDiamond; 05-13-13 at 10:55 PM.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

I'll tell you what Sherlock.

How much money are you willing to wager that you don't have the education or brain to find a single fuking thing wrong with any published clinical study.

You're a fuking high school graduate AT BEST from where, Roxborough? South Philly? You're a dumbass, and watching you try and breakdown a clinical study will be the funniest fuking thing posted on SBR.

I can't wait until you get into the meta analysis, and tell us why the standard deviations for the respective studies are outside the margins of error.

I'll sit back and wait. Please post your peer review of any published study I linked.

You are speaking on a topic you have zero knowledge on.

Zero.

Published clinical studies are paid for. Usually by the drug company promoting it's product.

They are hilariously skewed and corrupt.

I'll tell you what. You consume 4-6 sodas a day that contain aspartame. Plus, you agree to buy products that contain aspartame and consume them including chewing gum.

You do this for a year. See if there is no change in your health or no side effects from it.

SamDiamond

You are speaking on a topic you have zero knowledge on.

Zero.

Published clinical studies are paid for. Usually by the drug company promoting it's product.

They are hilariously skewed and corrupt.

I'll tell you what. You consume 4-6 sodas a day that contain aspartame. Plus, you agree to buy products that contain aspartame and consume them including chewing gum.

You do this for a year. See if there is no chance in your health or no side effects from it.
    So now-- every single clinical study is corrupt?

So, in other words, you really don't have a fuking clue about statistics, models of error, or anything that has to do with epidemiology?

Stick to Bigfoot, Philly.

I have to give you credit. I didn't think someone could be as stupid as you are and turn a computer on. Well done.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

So now-- every single clinical study is corrupt?

So, in other words, you really don't have a fuking clue about statistics, models of error, or anything that has to do with epidemiology?

Stick to Bigfoot, Philly.

I have to give you credit. I didn't think someone could be as stupid as you are and turn a computer on. Well done.
    When did I say every single clinical study is corrupt?

Apparently, you can't read. Either that, or you're just being an asshole.

Typical from an idiot like you.

12 Last