coop
    coop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Help me pick out a new TV

Has anyone made a recent purchase and can guide me in the right direction?

I need a 46 in with the best picture quality possible. I do not want 3D because I think its a fad and a waste of money. Also, I don't really understand what a "SmartTV" is, but I'm pretty sure I have no desire to check my fukkin Facebook on my television. Is that all it is? Plus I already have an xbox360 that streams movies and NBA League pass and all that shit.

Basically, just want an awesome picture with none of the bullshit. Best TV? Where to order from? Best deals? Etc

Thanks men

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

buy used.
    check your local craigslist or ebay.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post

I need a 46 in with the best picture quality possible. I do not want 3D because I think its a fad and a waste of money. Also, I don't really understand what a "SmartTV" is, but I'm pretty sure I have no desire to check my fukkin Facebook on my television. Is that all it is? Plus I already have an xbox360 that streams movies and NBA League pass and all that shit.

Basically, just want an awesome picture with none of the bullshit. Best TV? Where to order from? Best deals? Etc

Thanks men
    Buy a panasonic plasma, best bang for the buck + best picture quality. $665 for a 50 incher on amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...RC/ref=lh_ni_t

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Can't really beat Amazons free shipping and no tax. I've always had good luck with Panasonic, but last year mid-Christmas rush I got a sweet deal on a 42" LG LED on Amazon which I have no complaints about. Not sure what's out there right now or how bad you need it, but if you're gonna price shop, you might be best to wait a month or so when it's closer to Christmas.

cash$bro91
    Update your status
    cash$bro91's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9883

You might want to get an extended service warranty especially if you purchase a plasma. After just 3 years I had a power supply problem with my mine and the tech came to my home and fixed it at no cost. He said if I didn't have the warranty the repair would have been over $400. When customers didn't have the warranty, he just told them to go buy a new TV.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    Buy a panasonic plasma, best bang for the buck + best picture quality. $665 for a 50 incher on amazon

Agreed. Panasonic Plasma is top notch... Have 2. Just bought a samsung Plasma 3D, very nice as well.

I have my Smart TV's hooked up to the Wifi, I don't have facebook, or even bother to check out the internet on a tv. I have a phone to check weather if I need to know that badly.

The GREAT thing about Smart Tv's are that you can hook up a USB or External harddrive and play MOST video files straight onto your TV. Your Xbox only allows you to play .AVI files which aren't 1080P, but hook a USB to your TV and plays without a problem. Those are the only types of TV's I'll be getting from this point on. Download old TV shows and play them straight off your tv is awesome. Regular tv's with USB inputs don't allow this option, only Smart TV's, well worth the extra cash for that.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

I have the 55' Samsung plasma. It's pretty badass. It's a Smart tv...gots the netflix app, ESPN app, youtube app and a bunch of other shit built into it. Netflix is all I use.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by cash$bro91 View Post
    You might want to get an extended service warranty especially if you purchase a plasma. After just 3 years I had a power supply problem with my mine and the tech came to my home and fixed it at no cost. He said if I didn't have the warranty the repair would have been over $400. When customers didn't have the warranty, he just told them to go buy a new TV.
    Warranties are major money makers for retailers. Use your AMEX or other CC that gives an extra year of warranty and that's good enough.

If you have a costco nearby check them out, last I checked they add a 2nd year of warranty, too. Also that same basic set is $599 there which might save you a couple of bucks depending on sales tax in your state.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

a similar boat as I need to change my living room tv. that Amazon deal sounds great.

easyliving

this looks pretty good. would you prefer this over an LG? also is the 4 year warranty @ $99 worth purchasing?

also I've read that the sound quality is bad not to mention these tvs don't go for too long meaning they don't survive past a few years
    Last edited by easyliving; 10-24-12 at 08:42 PM.

soul786
    soul786's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    this looks pretty good. would you prefer this over an LG? also is the 4 year warranty @ $99 worth purchasing?
    Depends what those 4 years are. If its an extension of just a manufacturer's warranty, don't bother. I work retail in the electronics market at a big box retailer so take it from me, buying a longer manufacturer warranty aint worth any marbles. Half the time you don't get shit, or you get a tv back with shittier parts that go in less time.

easyliving

Quote Originally Posted by soul786 View Post
    Depends what those 4 years are. If its an extension of just a manufacturer's warranty, don't bother. I work retail in the electronics market at a big box retailer so take it from me, buying a longer manufacturer warranty aint worth any marbles. Half the time you don't get shit, or you get a tv back with shittier parts that go in less time.
    the 4 year warranty is advertised on amazon with the tv. not sure what it covers

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

also I've read that the sound quality is bad not to mention these tvs don't go for too long meaning they don't survive past a few years
    The Panasonic a better tv than the LG. No TV really has great sound, if you want quality sound get a receiver and separate speakers.

easyliving

just realized a 50 incher would be too big. gonna be forced to get a 42 inch

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

just realized a 50 incher would be too big. gonna be forced to get a 42 inch
    They make a 46. Do you have to fit into something?

dogkatcher
    dogkatcher's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23777

Chime in about the Panasonic Plasma. Picked a 46" about
    6 months ago for $269 +Tx, thanks to tipsters on Fat Wallet.
    Love the picture, HD absolutely stunning. Use it in my
    computer room, looking to get a 73" DLP, but may be spoiled
    by the quality of this Plasma. Best of Luck in your decision.

Sorry, didn't see the post about 42".

easyliving

They make a 46. Do you have to fit into something?
    yea I was planning on putting it on a shelf. the problem is my living room is fairly small and even if your sitting across the tv your still fairly close to it, which is why I prefer the 42 inch

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10300

Buy L.E.D. or plasma.....
    Most stores today pricecheck.so
    you know that you're getting the
    lowest price.
    Ask them if they pricecheck and match.
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by 19th Hole; 10-25-12 at 01:52 AM. Reason: sp

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10300

Quote Originally Posted by dogkatcher View Post
    Chime in about the Panasonic Plasma. Picked a 46" about
    6 months ago for $269 +Tx, thanks to tipsters on Fat Wallet.
    Love the picture, HD absolutely stunning. Use it in my
    computer room, looking to get a 73" DLP, but may be spoiled
    by the quality of this Plasma. Best of Luck in your decision.

Sorry, didn't see the post about 42".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pass on the DLP...You'll regret it.
    Go with the 60-70 flatscreen.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

yea I was planning on putting it on a shelf. the problem is my living room is fairly small and even if your sitting across the tv your still fairly close to it, which is why I prefer the 42 inch
    How far are you from the TV?

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

I also have a Panasonic 50" plasma. Would recommend it to anyone. I've had it for almost 5 years with zero problems. Extended warranties are for suckers. The store makes all the profit on it, employees are trained to push them hard. Buy a quality name brand product and you don't have to worry about it.

Mantle7
    Death Stare
    Mantle7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 73

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post

Thanks men
    If you want the best picture possible you have to go with a L.E.D. It's is by far better and brighter then any LCD or Plasma. I'm a Audio/Visual junkie and I have a HD projector with a 90 inch "screen". Its cool having a huge screen but a good backlit LED tv has a much better picture quality.

*Leds are energy efficient. They'll consume around 6X less electricity then a plasma.
    *They are brighter and noticeably thinner then plasmas because theyre "backlit". I could go on and on about that but just trust me.
    *You pay a little more but you get what you pay for. Just go to Best Buy and look.at the difference between a plasma and led. Its crazy.

Oh and don't rest your new tv on a bookshelf, man... Get a wall mount. All you need is a screwgun, level, and $5 stud finder. It's worth the extra time and money. I personally think Vizio and Samsung carry the best TVs. Best place to buy a new TV? Costco. Good luck.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Mantle7 View Post
    If you want the best picture possible you have to go with a L.E.D. It's is by far better and brighter then any LCD or Plasma. I'm a Audio/Visual junkie and I have a HD projector with a 90 inch "screen". Its cool having a huge screen but a good backlit LED tv has a much better picture quality.

*Leds are energy efficient. They'll consume around 6X less electricity then a plasma.
    *They are brighter and noticeably thinner then plasmas because theyre "backlit". I could go on and on about that but just trust me.
    *You pay a little more but you get what you pay for. Just go to Best Buy and look.at the difference between a plasma and led. Its crazy.

Oh and don't rest your new tv on a bookshelf, man... Get a wall mount. All you need is a screwgun, level, and $5 stud finder. It's worth the extra time and money. I personally think Vizio and Samsung carry the best TVs. Best place to buy a new TV? Costco. Good luck.
    You don't know what you're talking about. Plasma is still better than LED which is really just a fancy LCD. Plasma still produces better shades of black and a smoother picture which is important when watching sports. As an extra bonus a nice plasma is cheaper than an LED set.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Just go to store and Look at the TV's. I had them turn on Football and looked at the 2 tv's I was wanting to get, 1 LED and 1 Plasma...Couldn't tell a difference besides the 300 bucks. Price doesn't matter to me, the first "nice" TV I bought was 2100 for a piece of shit 55" now, that was about 4-5 years ago. So I'd definitely spend that again, but when I saw the Plasma and LED for 1200 and 1500, I'm not lying when I say I couldn't tell the difference, so of course I went with the cheaper one.

But everyone has different opinions and you'll flip flop 20X in the store thinking 1 looks better than switching to something else. But like the guy working at the store said "soon as you get it home, you'll think it's the best, because there will be no comparison" The guy was right, I couldn't be happier with the choice I made.

But go to a store and look to see what looks the best to you, remember or write down what they are...Go online and check prices, most likely can get off Amazon for cheaper. That's the best way to go, imo.

Mantle7
    Death Stare

You don't know what you're talking about. Plasma is still better than LED which is really just a fancy LCD. Plasma still produces better shades of black and a smoother picture which is important when watching sports. As an extra bonus a nice plasma is cheaper than an LED set.
    Youre still living in 2008. Plasmas are better then L.E.D's? LOL. Youre not even going to see Plasma T.Vs in 5 years. Just a side note.... Panasonic, one of the last major TV manufacturers to champion plasma TVs, is now probably regretting that decision. The company just posted a $10 billion loss for the year, and one of its biggest losers is the plasma TV category, where sales fell way short of expectations.

I know you have a Plasma and you think its the best because you have one. Its OK. The bottom line is that LED's are much brighter, they dont get hot like your Plasma because they are energy efficient and utilize a fraction of the electricity your Plasma does, LED's are capable of being much thinner which doesnt impact the color but who doesnt like a razor thin T.V. Trust me.. You dont want to have a Audio/Visual debate with me. Im not saying Plasmas are shitty T.V's. I like them. However, you cant say that they are better then a LED television because it is simply not true. Plasmas will be phased out soon.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Youre still living in 2008. Plasmas are better then L.E.D's? LOL. Youre not even going to see Plasma T.Vs in 5 years. Just a side note.... Panasonic, one of the last major TV manufacturers to champion plasma TVs, is now probably regretting that decision. The company just posted a $10 billion loss for the year, and one of its biggest losers is the plasma TV category, where sales fell way short of expectations.

I know you have a Plasma and you think its the best because you have one. Its OK. The bottom line is that LED's are much brighter, they dont get hot like your Plasma because they are energy efficient and utilize a fraction of the electricity your Plasma does, LED's are capable of being much thinner which doesnt impact the color but who doesnt like a razor thin T.V. Trust me.. You dont want to have a Audio/Visual debate with me. Im not saying Plasmas are shitty T.V's. I like them. However, you cant say that they are better then a LED television because it is simply not true. Plasmas will be phased out soon.

So you go to the store, look at the pictures of similar priced LED's and Plasmas, and you can tell a big difference?

Last I checked the similar priced Plasmas and LED's , I could see a little Lag in the LED's movies. Similar priced.

If I'm spending 2500...yes It'll be a LED...But if I'm spending 1k - 1500, might as well be a plasma. But there isn't a big enough difference to justify spending the extra 1200...They ALL look very good to me. But I can see a little difference in the higher priced.

My parents have a 60" LED...My dad helped me install my 60" Samsung Plasma. He asked me how much I paid for it, because he thought it looked nice, and was going to get one for their basement. Weird that he said that after owning a LED that's 1 year old.

Go to the store, see what looks nice, check the prices, see if there is a 200-400 dollar difference that you can see, go online and buy it. You'll get your TV home and be satisfied no matter if it's 720P/1080P...LED/LCD/Plasma...It's a gimmick, the LED's are the newest Tv's out so they have to be the best right? Go look and tell me you can see a huge difference...All TV's can have color adjusted for optimal settings (avsforum)...Also none of the TV's will look the same in the store as they will in your house, light settings are completely different.

Mantle7
    Death Stare

Its a decision he has to make. O.k. Heres the bottom line and then im done with this one. Plasma probably has better color, but it's darker. You'll have trouble viewing it in a sunny room. It's best in a home theater where it's dark. Also Plasma uses a lot more electricity because it has to send electrons to every single plasma pixel 60 times a minute. Your electricity bill actually will be effected by this so you're not really saving money in the long run.

LEDs are much brighter and the TVs themselves are extremely thin. Around an inch thick. The use of 96 separate LED dimmable lights behind the screen allows it to get darker blacks in dark areas of the screen. I prefer a razor think t.v with brighter colors anyday.

Right now, plasmas are dirty cheap while LEDs are still expensive. If you're looking for more bang for your buck, then fukk it and go plasma. But most TV companies are closing down their plasma plants. It's a technology that's going extinct.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

If you want plasma, and price is not an issue still not sure you can beat the pioneer Kuro from 08. Way to expensive though if cash is limited. If you are gaming you have to be careful with plasma, if you leave it on a pause menu, you can burn the picture in pretty quick.

Samsung LCD (the ones with the red tinted border), they've got a great picture and shouldn't run you too much.

tatommack
    cowboys make the playoffs
    tatommack's Avatar Become A Pro!

Samsung led

ColdBeerHere
    Tailing Wilson
    ColdBeerHere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8151

I used to hook up tvs for people....Pioneer if they still make tvs is/was #1.....

After that depending on the model/price I would go with either a Samsung, Sony, or Panasonic.....

The rest of the brands are pretty much rubbish, imo.....

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3365

Bought a 42" Samsung and it works great. Clear picture and sound. Would highly recommend.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

Brightness is not as important as you think it is. Technology is always changing in 5 years you probably won't see Plasma but that's not really because of picture quality. LED sets are still not better than Plasma. The one or two inch depth difference between the two is irrelevant for 95% of the population. I don't care about the efficiency of my tv, I want it to look best and the blur of an LED/LCD is a problem that I can't get past.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Plasma still has superior picture to any type of LCD. LED is a type LCD, they're not two different things. Plasma is king and it's cheaper.

Mantle7
    Death Stare

Well, it seems as though its just a matter of opinon. I personally like L.E.D's and think the pictures is much better. You guys should start looking into H.D projectors. The new H.D projectors are insane. You used to have to sit in a pitch black room to get a good picture on H.D projectors but not anymore. The prices are coming down as well. How cool is it to decide how big you want your picture to be? i could go up to 120 inches if had a wall big enough.

Mantle7
    Death Stare

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerHere View Post
    I used to hook up tvs for people....Pioneer if they still make tvs is/was #1.....

After that depending on the model/price I would go with either a Samsung, Sony, or Panasonic.....

The rest of the brands are pretty much rubbish, imo.....
    Same here. I still do if any of my friends need a t.v hung or need a surround sound setup. I love A.V. I do it just for fun.

12 Last