taxer
    taxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 501

Who here actually thinks it ends this year? 2012

Man some people are freaking the fuk out about this whole Mayan deal.

Lot of interesting theories , I am actually thinking about taking out a huge loan and just going crazy this year if it does not end I will at least have a few good stories to tell!

OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

http://www.ia.ucsb.edu/pa/display.aspx?pkey=2317

So add about 60 days to the dec 21 thing and itll end in early 2013!

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

I'm worried about the Mayan calendar scare about as much as I was that Y2K bullshit....What I mean to say is I'm not worried at all.

Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47737

The world will not end. But there will be many earthquakes, volcanos and tsunamis. The earths frequency vibrations will be out of whack. The magnetic fields will cause a whole bunch of disasters worldwide. I don't know how the Mayans came up with such incredible predictions.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't believe in conspiracies. I think anyone who does is basically a nutjob.

That being said, I will admit that this December 21, 2012 stuff does have me a bit spooked.

I researched this subject a bit and a few things startle me.

First, the Mayans had the most advanced calendar ever devised in history. The calendar they used was actually many times more accurate than the one we use today.

Their calendar went back to the first day of creation (according to them). All the way through to the last which was, you guessed it, 12/21/12.

It just stops on that day. Nothing after.

I try to keep an open mind though. I tell myself that only God really knows the true end date.

That the real judgment day is the day you die.

As I turn to current events, however, my concerns grow deeper. Reading the news every day can give you an ulcer it seems.

Take a look at all the wars we're in with threats of more wars growing daily.

Iran is the next hotspot supposedly. Then there's the Chinese threat, the Soviet threat, etc. etc.

Economic upheaval all over the world we see every day now.

You take a step back and look, and it makes you wonder if this isn't really the beginning of the end.

I am hopeful the Mayans are totally wrong about 12/21/12. But looking at how the world has changed and the current conditions, leave me with a sense of real concern.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    All the way through to the last which was, you guessed it, 12/21/12.

This is incorrect. The Mayan calendar does not end; it is cyclical. Think of it as our modern calendar. While December is the end of the year, January starts a new year. December 21, 2012 is the end of their current long-count period, and a new one begins.

Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47737

The Mayan calendar doesn't mean the end of the world. It just means the end of a cycle. The earth is just resetting itself, so to speak.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    This is incorrect. The Mayan calendar does not end; it is cyclical. Think of it as our modern calendar. While December is the end of the year, January starts a new year. December 21, 2012 is the end of their current long-count period, and a new one begins.

There is no new cycle after 12/21/12. In fact, there is nothing after 12/21/12. Anyone saying that a new cycle begins is just pure speculation.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

chilidog

There is no new cycle after 12/21/12. In fact, there is nothing after 12/21/12. Anyone saying that a new cycle begins is just pure speculation.
    1. From nasa.gov (link http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html)
    Q: Does the Mayan calendar end in December 2012?
    A: Just as the calendar you have on your kitchen wall does not cease to exist after December 31, the Mayan calendar does not cease to exist on December 21, 2012. This date is the end of the Mayan long-count period but then -- just as your calendar begins again on January 1 -- another long-count period begins for the Mayan calendar.

2. From timeanddate.com (http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/maya-world-end.html)
    The scientists conclusion is that the end of the Mayan calendar does not imply the end of the world, only the end of the Mayan long-count period. The 'long count' is a part of the Maya calendar shaped like a wheel. When we reach the end of the wheel, it will simply turn to the beginning again, just like our modern Gregorian calendar starts again every January 1.

3. From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoame...Count_calendar)
    The previous creation ended on a long count of 12.19.19.17.19. Another 12.19.19.17.19 will occur on December 20, 2012, followed by the start of the 14th b'ak'tun, 13.0.0.0.0, on December 21, 2012....Maya inscriptions occasionally reference future predicted events or commemorations that would occur on dates that lie beyond 2012 (that is, beyond the completion of the 13th b'ak'tun of the current era). Most of these are in the form of "distance dates" where some Long Count date is given, together with a Distance Number that is to be added to the Long Count date to arrive at this future date. (you will also see on that page that this cycle will end on March 26, 2407, and there's a table that shows the cycles until October 13, 4772).

4. From Science daily (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1113122958.htm)
    The Mayan calendar was designed to be cyclical, so the fact that the long count comes to an end in December 2012 is really of no consequence, according to Martin. Simply, it is the end of great calendar cycle in Mayan society, much like our modern society celebrated the new Millennium. It does not mean that the "world will end." In fact, the Mayan calendar does not end then and there is no evidence to suggest that the Mayans -- or anyone for that matter -- has knowledge for the world's demise.

Do I really need to go on?

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

No.

Sorry but the topic does not warrant a more detailed response.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

1. From nasa.gov (link http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html)
    Q: Does the Mayan calendar end in December 2012?
    A: Just as the calendar you have on your kitchen wall does not cease to exist after December 31, the Mayan calendar does not cease to exist on December 21, 2012. This date is the end of the Mayan long-count period but then -- just as your calendar begins again on January 1 -- another long-count period begins for the Mayan calendar.
    Pure speculation and opinion. The calendar ends December 2012 with nothing after. Those are the facts. If a new cycle were to begin why didn't they show it? They showed all other new cycles previously but nothing after 2012. Why?

2. From timeanddate.com (http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/maya-world-end.html)
    The scientists conclusion is that the end of the Mayan calendar does not imply the end of the world, only the end of the Mayan long-count period. The 'long count' is a part of the Maya calendar shaped like a wheel. When we reach the end of the wheel, it will simply turn to the beginning again, just like our modern Gregorian calendar starts again every January 1.
    "Scientists conclusion"=opinion. Opinion=speculation.

3. From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoame...Count_calendar)
    The previous creation ended on a long count of 12.19.19.17.19. Another 12.19.19.17.19 will occur on December 20, 2012, followed by the start of the 14th b'ak'tun, 13.0.0.0.0, on December 21, 2012....Maya inscriptions occasionally reference future predicted events or commemorations that would occur on dates that lie beyond 2012 (that is, beyond the completion of the 13th b'ak'tun of the current era). Most of these are in the form of "distance dates" where some Long Count date is given, together with a Distance Number that is to be added to the Long Count date to arrive at this future date. (you will also see on that page that this cycle will end on March 26, 2407, and there's a table that shows the cycles until October 13, 4772).
    Ahh so now we're relying on wikipedia. You need to look further into it. This is citing Meso-American which is not specifically Mayan. For example, they also include Olmec who were not Mayans. How you can take Olmec calendars and equate them with the Mayan is rather confusing.

4. From Science daily (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1113122958.htm)
    The Mayan calendar was designed to be cyclical, so the fact that the long count comes to an end in December 2012 is really of no consequence, according to Martin. Simply, it is the end of great calendar cycle in Mayan society, much like our modern society celebrated the new Millennium. It does not mean that the "world will end." In fact, the Mayan calendar does not end then and there is no evidence to suggest that the Mayans -- or anyone for that matter -- has knowledge for the world's demise.

Do I really need to go on?
    You certainly do. So far I've seen nothing but speculation from you.

It's important to remember that we need to stick to the facts. Just the facts. For example, the discovery of the Mayan Long Count calendar was based on the discoveries of Stela which the calendar were carved on. There are 6 sites which have been found showing various Stela pertaining to long count calendars. Of the 6, only 2 definitively were found relating to the Mayans specifically with a possible 3rd being the one called El Baul.

Of those, as far as I'm aware, none of them show anything beyond 2012 and anyone saying the Mayans carved long count calendars past the 2012 date, I would politely ask on what Stela was that found on.

showtiime
    Update your status
    showtiime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5853

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

I don't believe in conspiracies. I think anyone who does is basically a nutjob.

That being said, I will admit that this December 21, 2012 stuff does have me a bit spooked.

I researched this subject a bit and a few things startle me.

First, the Mayans had the most advanced calendar ever devised in history. The calendar they used was actually many times more accurate than the one we use today.

Their calendar went back to the first day of creation (according to them). All the way through to the last which was, you guessed it, 12/21/12.

I try to keep an open mind though. I tell myself that only God really knows the true end date.

That the real judgment day is the day you die.

As I turn to current events, however, my concerns grow deeper. Reading the news every day can give you an ulcer it seems.

Take a look at all the wars we're in with threats of more wars growing daily.

Iran is the next hotspot supposedly. Then there's the Chinese threat, the Soviet threat, etc. etc.

Economic upheaval all over the world we see every day now.

You take a step back and look, and it makes you wonder if this isn't really the beginning of the end.

I am hopeful the Mayans are totally wrong about 12/21/12. But looking at how the world has changed and the current conditions, leave me with a sense of real concern.
    well ok atleast we cleared that up.

chilidog

Pure speculation and opinion. The calendar ends December 2012 with nothing after. Those are the facts. If a new cycle were to begin why didn't they show it? They showed all other new cycles previously but nothing after 2012. Why?
    Ahhh okay, I understand now. Everybody else is wrong, and you're right. Glad we're finally on the same page now.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    Ahhh okay, I understand now. Everybody else is wrong, and you're right. Glad we're finally on the same page now.

Not at all. Just asking for the real evidence to back up the claim that the Mayan long count calendar goes past December 2012.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

im not worried about the world ending. until someone has proof i should be i will go on living and gambling

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

I don't even know if I'm going to make it until December.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: taxer

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
    I don't even know if I'm going to make it until December.

Truthfully, none of us do.

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

I plan on dying long before that. However, I have done extensive research on essentially every kind of conspiracy imaginable lol.. I don't think the world will end, the Annunaki will return, or any other theory like that. I do somewhat believe in the concept that the mayan, among many ancient cultures, believed in possibly a great transition around this time. Mostly these cultures were very cyclical, and the calendar may very well be the same.

Who knows though, it gets very interesting the more you look into things like this.
    Last edited by darkhat; 02-13-12 at 09:52 PM.

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

I sure hope it doesn't I havnt even had a chance to get married and raise a family I don't wanna die yet

tb1984
    tb1984's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1083

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeOverUnder View Post
    I sure hope it doesn't I havnt even had a chance to get married and raise a family I don't wanna die yet
    Same here.

isende
    isende's Avatar Become A Pro!

i agree! but i don't get all this 2012 thing - just because of the mayan calendar i won't panic

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

If this were true, the gov't would be addressing this to the people..yeah I believe that..rev camping said the end was gonna hapeen so many times

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeOverUnder View Post
    Well u just shouldn't have worn a condemin gradeschool.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

What ever happened to the rapture?

onacloud
    onacloud's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by RubberKettle View Post

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

Quote Originally Posted by RubberKettle View Post
    y2k was the rapture... you missed it bro

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

hopefully this is the end would be cool to see what happens

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
    hopefully this is the end would be cool to see what happens
    LOL

Sportsguy_USA
    Sportsguy_USA's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mayan history on 2012 is the tip of the iceberg. Do further historical culture research and you'll learn more about 2012. Its the end...but not for us...its an end of an era for human kind, and an 'awakening' for a new era. What that 'awakening' is....time will tell, but I feel it'll be a good thing that we'll all need to suffer for...if that makes sense.

taxer
    taxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 501

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsguy_USA View Post
    Mayan history on 2012 is the tip of the iceberg. Do further historical culture research and you'll learn more about 2012. Its the end...but not for us...its an end of an era for human kind, and an 'awakening' for a new era. What that 'awakening' is....time will tell, but I feel it'll be a good thing that we'll all need to suffer for...if that makes sense.

THIS.. will we all be gonna after this ERA is over is the true question.. who will be left ?

Nick Papageorgio
    Nick Papageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Only those whom have daily action will survive.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsguy_USA View Post

Something's coming alright.....but it's not good.

According to the Mayans themselves, on 12/21/12 we can expect the return of......Bolon Yokte.

Bolon Yokte was the Mayan god of the underworld. He was associated with war, death, conflict, and of course, the underworld.

Even more, he was part of a group of gods known as "the nine". They are all negative characters. Nothing positive about them. The closest things we have in modern times to their equivalent would be demons.

12 Last