nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

laws of smoking are a joke

I'm not a smoker and never have been. I have been around smokers a good part of my life though. How can this be a free country if you allow cigs but yet sensor where you can smoke?? The latest, you can't smoke on the Long Island Rail Road platforms outdoors?? Look, just ban cigs totally then. I don't wanna hear how it's bad for poeple who don't smoke. You allow murders in society after they serve there time with no warnng to others of there locations. Next, ban overweight people over 50 obese from driving..as thy are more likely to die behind the wheel and kill others. I never heard of such non freedom as these laws. This is so not a free country.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

It's nasty to look at. 2nd hand smoke is bad for people and smokers litter. The added fact that it kills people makes it simply awful

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19480

Hate working with smokers,
    seem to have an entitlement to take smoke breaks when I have to pick up the slack for them.

However, it's a freedom that is being taken away.

Agree with you NYplayer

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

Alcohol kills people also. You are more likely to get killed from a drunk driver, than you are to die from second hand cigarette smoke

nyplayer33

Then ban cigarettes from being smoked..also you might not like people who are fat..you choose to single them out you violasted there civil rights.

nyplayer33

smoking on the platform of a railroad is outdsoors..lol....

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Worse yet is banning the owner of a private business from allowing smoking in his/her establishment.

shushu
    shushu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

You're right. Its not a free country to kill others. And that's exactly what smokers do when they puff up around others. The laws about not smoking in public places such as restaurants and patios has been up here in Canada for about 15 years or so. You have to be 6 meters from the entrance. Being a non smoker I happen to love the law. You are right in every way about murderers (their gonna do it again) and obese people (increasing health care costs cause of their health problems). Drinking doesn't have to be outlawed as it's not the drinking theat is killing others....it's the idiots that drink and drive. That's sort of saying outlaw guns cause they kill people.

It's a FACT that 2nd hand smoke is actually worse for you then the smoking itself. People that are smoking around others are killing the others. It should be illegal to do in public. Do what you want at home or in your car. Why should non smokers have to sit in the same room dieing because of smokers in denial about the risks to themselves and everyone else or too weak to give it up? Doesn't it make you sick to watch a family in a car...a couple of kids in the backseat with 2 idiot people puffing away. If you listen close you can hear the kids lungs seizing up and them starting to wheeze.

shushu

Saving people from themselves.......

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    Worse yet is banning the owner of a private business from allowing smoking in his/her establishment.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

More government regulation.

They will never ban tobacco because they make so much from the tax on it.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Quote Originally Posted by RubberKettle View Post
    More government regulation.

They will never ban tobacco because they make so much from the tax on it.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

the people not smoking have a freedom to not be subjected to the smell of smoke.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by antifoil View Post
    the people not smoking have a freedom to not be subjected to the smell of smoke.
    Indeed, they do. Let's ban buses and diesel trucks as well. All that exhaust polluting the air, infiltrating people's lungs. Factories have to be closed down as well. Nasty stuff.

tokio
    tokio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2886

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin

In my city, the smoking ban is already in full effect. Now they are trying to pass a mandatory breathalizer during road blocks and if you refuse, an on-site judge can sign a warrant for you to give up a body fluid sample.
    Last edited by tokio; 11-15-11 at 02:23 PM.

antifoil
    Update your status

companies do have to pay fines for pollution at factories.

antifoil
    Update your status

that would be a good way to get more income.

allow people to smoke at public places. like at these public transportation places just have an guy giving out tickets to people smoking as a smoking convenience. like a 5 dollar fine for each person each day. his salary would be made up easily with additional income for the local government.

you could also let them buy a permit to smoke in public for 75 dollars a month.

chilidog

Cigarette smokers already pay an additional tax when their purchase their cancer sticks. The public is already benefiting from cigarette smokers.

But why draw the line there? Anything that pollutes the air must be banned as well, right? What's the difference between the smoke that a cigarette smoker exhales and the exhaust from a city bus? Or what about all those semi's travelling our roads?

antifoil
    Update your status

the tax they pay on the purchase would be different from the tax to smoke in public obviously.

trucks/factories are for commerce so society has allowed some bit of nuisance for the refinement of products and the shipping of products to different locations. smoking is a private act that has no societal benefit.

i also think truck drivers have to pay additional taxes.

chilidog

Quote Originally Posted by antifoil View Post
    smoking is a private act that has no societal benefit.
    Sure there is. Smokers pay added taxes. That money goes directly into the government's pocket for public usage. The average smoker has a life-expectancy rate 14 years less than the average non-smoker. So that's 14 years worth of medical care and social security that you don't have to pay for.

antifoil
    Update your status

the argument in that post is only relevant if smoking was illegal.

Maverick22

Tobacco >

Maverick22

Smoking is illegal? you can't lawfully smoke cigarettes indoors in most places. you cant lawfully smoke a cigarette in the PARKING LOT of a hospital. You cant' lawfully smoke a cigarette if you arent not 18 years old.

lots of rules about somking...sounds illegal if not 'controlled' to me. when something is 'controlled' i dont consider it 'legal'

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by shushu View Post
    Saving people from themselves.......

Thank you so much for saving me from myself. Please help me to continue to do so by assisting me in removing all fast food restaurants as well as criminalizing all forms of drinking, smoking and gambling. Also I would like to pass laws forcing people to exercise every day, and I would like to abolish all sports as they can lead to life-altering injuries.

With your help we can protect everyone from themselves forever!

mattmc419
    mattmc419's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Smoking is a joke.

MarkDee
    MarkDee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Ya but gays can marry and adopt WTF

shushu

HAHA....ok. Fine by me if you want to kill yourself. Life choices by you to smoke till you have emphasima, drink till your liver gives out, and gambling till you destroy any future you and your family might have are your perogative. Chances are that If you can't control yourself around others with one........your probably bad at the others as well. If you read what I wrote....all things that affect someone elses health should be criminalized. No reason to affect anyone else with your shitty choices in life. No one elses fault if you're not strong enough to quit something you were too weak to avoid in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    Thank you so much for saving me from myself. Please help me to continue to do so by assisting me in removing all fast food restaurants as well as criminalizing all forms of drinking, smoking and gambling. Also I would like to pass laws forcing people to exercise every day, and I would like to abolish all sports as they can lead to life-altering injuries.

With your help we can protect everyone from themselves forever!

shushu

Except when they are slowly dieing for the last 5 of those 14 years, and jacking up medical costs for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    Sure there is. Smokers pay added taxes. That money goes directly into the government's pocket for public usage. The average smoker has a life-expectancy rate 14 years less than the average non-smoker. So that's 14 years worth of medical care and social security that you don't have to pay for.

shushu

Whole other argument. Just cause your a hetero male and some whore spread her legs one to many times does not make you a good parent. I've met many gay men that beat down many "hetero" people when it comes to raising children.

In fact there is another thing that should be banned. Idiots from having kids. Should have a license to screw and make babies.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDee View Post
    Ya but gays can marry and adopt WTF

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quote Originally Posted by shushu View Post
    It's a FACT that 2nd hand smoke is actually worse for you then the smoking itself.

Bullshit. Even if you provide a link (Which you should have done in the first place) I still call bullshit.

Maverick22

shushu, you should learn that studies show exactly what they want to show.

if someone wants to say 'smoking kills' they bias the 'results' of the studies to show this.

shushu

Ahhhhh....a true smoker....Of course your going to call bullshit no matter how many I find...But how about this one? http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile30a.stm

There are going to be differing opinions on websites...smokers will find the sites that say it's crap...non-smokers will find thae ones that say it's true. Unless your smoking non-filtered cigs...which I doubt.....the amount of carsinogins entering a smoker through the filter is pretty diluted.

The smoke that the smoker inhales goes through a filter first but the smoke coming out of the other end - that 2nd hand smokers inhale - has no filter and contains 3X as much cancer-causing benzpyrene, 5X as much carbon monoxide, and 50X as much ammonia. Secondhand smoke from pipes and cigars is equally as harmful, if not more so. Over the past two decades, medical research has shown that non-smokers suffer many of the diseases of active smoking when they breathe secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer and contributes to the development of heart disease. Never smoking women who live with a smoker have a 91% greater risk of heart disease. They also have twice the risk of dying from lung cancer. Never-smoking spouses who are exposed to secondhand smoke have about 20% higher death rates for both lung cancer and heart disease. Secondhand smoke increases heart rate and shortens time to exhaustion. Repeated exposure causes thickening of the walls of the carotid arteries (accelerates atherosclerosis) and damages the lining of these arteries

But I guess taking away your "freedom" to smoke around others is much worse then what it actually does to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Bullshit. Even if you provide a link (Which you should have done in the first place) I still call bullshit.

shushu

Totally agree.....you are also going to believe what you want too in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick22 View Post
    shushu, you should learn that studies show exactly what they want to show.

if someone wants to say 'smoking kills' they bias the 'results' of the studies to show this.

shushu

I admit I'm passionate about this subject as I have had a few relatives die from what was attributed to smoking. I will always try to get people to not smoke...especially around my family and myself. People...smoke em if you want.....but please be consious of who's around you.

chilidog

Bottom line - whether we smoke or not, we all die. People will do what they want. Why do you care?

757sFinest
    757sFinest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

good post

12 Last