Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16714

Buy any Insurance???

ncsubowen
    ncsubowen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Shopping for insurance right now Stallion, we did buy the home warranty (which I feel is kind of a ripoff at $500 but its cheaper than replacing something if it craps out). Do you have any recommendations? I have had renter's insurance for years.

ngates we're married. For all the problems that posters here seem to have with marriage, mine has been a breeze. We get along very well, still get regular sexy times, and enjoy each others company.

And thanks Dabeer! My parents are buying us a grill for our housewarming gift, so here in the next week or so you know I'll be out there enjoying the 98 degrees and 90% humidity that North Carolina has to offer.

Last edited by ncsubowen; 06-01-11 at 09:00 AM.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ohh So I take it it's not your first time living with each other under the same roof.

Dabeergod
    Da Big D Boyz !!!
    Dabeergod's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

Nice cozy house

ncsubowen

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    Ohh So I take it it's not your first time living with each other under the same roof.
    Nooo no no no. I would never buy a house with someone I hadn't lived with before. We dated 2 years before we moved in together, got married 6 months after that, and have been married another 2 years before we decided to buy a house.

nyjets15
    nyjets15's Avatar Become A Pro!

get yourself familiar with Lowes or Home Depot

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

well done. So you know how it is to live with a woman.

Enjoy the house...You probably got a helluva deal on it, and it's much better to have something to show for instead of just renting a place and pissing that money away.

Hopefully your investment makes you a few bills when you decide to sell in the future.

Enjoy it.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Quote Originally Posted by nyjets15 View Post
    get yourself familiar with Lowes or Home Depot

About 20 trips to those fukkin places within the first few months of moving in.

If you gotta paint, just tell your wife to go pick out the colors and you're fine with anything. That was the most painful thing for me. I hate shopping more than anything, I hate going with my girlfriend to shop, because I can't stand people just going shopping and not sure what they need and then they ask you 25 questions, when you don't care.

We went together to Home Depot to pick out colors downstairs, I told her what I thought would be good, and she went and grabbed the little paper and said she liked that too, but wanted to look at other colors as well. About 90 minutes later she decided she liked the color we picked after 5 minutes of looking. After that I told her to go pick shit out and bring the colors home and I'd hold them up to the wall and decide there. Much easier and I didn't waste my time.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

And if you need window treatments check out J C Penny. We found much nicer blinds and shit there than we found anywhere else, and they were much cheaper with the sales. Shit adds up quickly though. 20 windows at 30-40 bucks a piece.

ncsubowen

About 20 trips to those fukkin places within the first few months of moving in.

If you gotta paint, just tell your wife to go pick out the colors and you're fine with anything. That was the most painful thing for me. I hate shopping more than anything, I hate going with my girlfriend to shop, because I can't stand people just going shopping and not sure what they need and then they ask you 25 questions, when you don't care.

We went together to Home Depot to pick out colors downstairs, I told her what I thought would be good, and she went and grabbed the little paper and said she liked that too, but wanted to look at other colors as well. About 90 minutes later she decided she liked the color we picked after 5 minutes of looking. After that I told her to go pick shit out and bring the colors home and I'd hold them up to the wall and decide there. Much easier and I didn't waste my time.
    I've actually had a Home Depot CC for a few years now (lord knows I've spent enough money over there). I let her pick out the colors already, since I work later than she does, she has been killing the time shopping for appliances/etc. We have been shopping that way since pretty much day 1. She doesn't like being rushed through it and I can't stand just waiting around.

ncsubowen

And if you need window treatments check out J C Penny. We found much nicer blinds and shit there than we found anywhere else, and they were much cheaper with the sales. Shit adds up quickly though. 20 windows at 30-40 bucks a piece.
    We have curtains for most of the rooms, I'm sure there will be more to buy but I'm just going to defer to her on that. I'll make sure she checks out Penney's - thanks for the heads up.

CisforCOOKIE
    CisforCOOKIE's Avatar Become A Pro!

A man cave is in order

Gruntworker
    Gruntworker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3899

Congrats on the house! Everything you need to know is probably already in the home inspection. Get to know your neighbors. They will fill in the blanks of what you may/may not need particularly for your neighborhood.

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Congrats on the pad, should've have held out longer housing market has yet to truly bottom out. Even tho NC is way cheaper than where I'm at.

ncsubowen

Quote Originally Posted by CisforCOOKIE View Post
    A man cave is in order
    Way ahead of ya!

That's my 72" DLP.

hockeyman30304
    hockeyman30304's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Nice house man...I cant wait to get a house...

tad0matic
    tad0matic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2027

go to the post office and ask for a change of address package, alot of forms and stuff. Includes a 10% off entire purchase coupon from Lowes. I just shitcan all the forms and other coupons enclosed. I pick up 4 or 5 at a time, saved me ALOT of money.

l7ustin
    l7ustin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2724

nice bro, congrats being a home owner is mostly good. definitely beats the alternative as long as you dont plan on moving in the next 3-5 years

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

sweet!

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Quote Originally Posted by tad0matic View Post
    go to the post office and ask for a change of address package, alot of forms and stuff. Includes a 10% off entire purchase coupon from Lowes. I just shitcan all the forms and other coupons enclosed. I pick up 4 or 5 at a time, saved me ALOT of money.

Dr.Gonzo
    Dr.Gonzo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3192

Quote Originally Posted by ncsubowen View Post
    First time homeowner - any advice?
    You need to **** in every room in the house to christen it

I don't make the rules I just follow them

dxunchuk
    dxunchuk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 602

nice house congrad

White Rhino
    White Rhino's Avatar Become A Pro!

fix any leaking issues right away so it doesn't turn in to a bigger one.

Flyers21
    Flyers21's Avatar Become A Pro!

Congrats on the new home, try to make bigger payments than your monthly payment to reduce that principle!!!!

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!

couple bucks extra paid a month makes a big difference over 20-30 years.

learn to enjoy doing yard work, looks like you got a nice one.

Socrates
    Socrates's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Nice house man. Congrats

chiliv5
    chiliv5's Avatar Become A Pro!

make sure you are covered for tornadoes...... if you have a basement get a battery back up sump pump... make sure you know where you water shut off is located.... most of these seems obvious, but i know many people who can't tell me where their main shut off is located.

kiln
    Ezekiel 25:17
    kiln's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 436

Congratulations. It's fun but also a pain. I learned more about plumbing, plastering, electrical, HVAC, window installation, insulation, and carpentry than I ever knew was possible. And that was in the first three months.

Get a subscription to Consumer Reports if you're buying new appliances. It has the potential to save you lots and lots of money.

ncsubowen

Wow thanks for all of the advice guys! There are a lot of these buyers clubs out there for furniture and appliances is any of that worth it?

chiliv5
    chiliv5's Avatar Become A Pro!

direct buy isnt bad, not sure if that is offered in your area. my wife folks are members of that and have gotten some really good deals on things.

onizuka
    onizuka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2533

Congratulations for your new house, buddy

onizuka

chase hardy
    chase hardy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 88

Nice house, where u live in nc? Looks like a town and country home to me.

12 Last