Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Adding in strength training?

I've never been much of a weight lifter, but all the scientific literature says you're crazy if you're not doing some sort of strength training. Biggest problem is time. I don't want to go to a gym, or get all buff... Add a little muscle, which has all sorts of health benefits.

If you were going to spend only 60 minutes a week (in addition to 2.5 hours of cardio), how would you best spend your time? And would you get any home equipment?

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

Wow, you will not get much from 60 minutes a week; probably not even the "little muscle" that you want.

However, given that constraint, I would probably do an assortment of dumbbell exercises (should save some time too). Dumbbell flat (incline, decline too if possible) bench, flys, rows, bicep curls, and military presses; do 3 sets of 8.

As your cardio gets "better" (covering more distance during the 2.5 hours), I would suggest allocating more time towards lifting since distance traveled is a bigger factor than the amount of time spent on cardio.
    Last edited by Blax0r; 05-09-11 at 09:15 AM.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

It is worth a shot

hustla
    hustla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5619

stay home and post some winners in that 60 min

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Quote Originally Posted by hustla View Post
    stay home and post some winners in that 60 min
    I already spend about 40+ hours a week on sports betting... A little exercise keeps your brain fresh.

PanamaBrad
    PanamaBrad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 395

set of dumbbells right next to comp. you can curl, butterfly etc right in front of the monitor. You will see results in 10 days for sure

thespeculator
    thespeculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13168

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    I already spend about 40+ hours a week on sports betting... A little exercise keeps your brain fresh.
    i have working out hard since i was seventeen, trust me you won't get all buff, the guys on the front of those magazines are on drugs,

i could never quite figure why after i did arnolds biceps routine i didn't look like that, not taking anything away from his genetics and hard work, steroids make a big difference

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 494

probably sounds stupid, but i don't have time for the gym anymore so i started dvr'ing/doing the total body sculpt reruns on discovery fit & health. 22 mins without commercials a few times a week.... i've had decent results with it.

thespeculator

mike mentzer was a famous bodybuilder , he said all you need is about 40 minutes for a workout, look him up , he used heavy weights and little rest between sets

DblDeuce
    DblDeuce's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think everyone gains at least ten pounds when they discover these forums and offshore gambling.

svenodds
    MOJO
    svenodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5885

Quote Originally Posted by DblDeuce View Post
    I think everyone gains at least ten pounds when they discover these forums and offshore gambling.
    agree , need to start exercise

xXMoNeYXx
    xXMoNeYXx's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well if you can't dedicate yourself to 45 min to an hour in the gym 3-5 times a week then you might try P90x. It will help you shape up and get stronger. Get your cardio and a little lifting in at the same time.

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

60 mins a week is not enough time. But if that's all I had, I would go to the gym and do a sick full body workout for 60 mins, once a week.

wquine
    Bet2BLucky
    wquine's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10824

i put a stepper in my kitchen just so its always in the way....now i "step" around it.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Problem solved. Start out with a light warm-up on the bike 15 min. Pair off two lifts...one needs to be a pull motion and the other needs to be a push motion. Super set these together with a high volume number of repetitions. After doing a pair of lifts, or two-pairs, add in a high intense interval of cardio training...stair-stepper works or jump roping is perfect..you'll only need 5-7 min. of this. repeat for the amount of time desired and adjust intensity to keep your heart rate up. I use to train several amateur mma fighters using this concept. BOL and it will kick your ass. -HE

Powerball
    MIL Brewers
    Powerball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

60 minutes at the gym a week will get you nothing. if I were only spending an hour a week on strength training, it would be all pull ups and push ups, like p90x.

trixtrix
    trixtrix's Avatar Become A Pro!

coke zero >> strength training

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

You are either lazy or suck at time management. It's probably the former. I don't think you are giving enough weight to the benefits of strength training in your analysis. It pretty much improves every area of your life.

And FWIW the gym is probably the best option since your technique is going to suck as a beginner. My advice is to start there to build a decent enough foundation and move to free weights if it turns out you don't like the scene. You're also going to have to invest more time at the beginning. In time you may get your maintenance routine down to 60 minutes a week but realistically I would estimate 2 hours.

Vesuvius
    Vesuvius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

I've never been much of a weight lifter, but all the scientific literature says you're crazy if you're not doing some sort of strength training. Biggest problem is time. I don't want to go to a gym, or get all buff... Add a little muscle, which has all sorts of health benefits.

If you were going to spend only 60 minutes a week (in addition to 2.5 hours of cardio), how would you best spend your time? And would you get any home equipment?
    make sure you eat right, it's at least half of what you put into your body, half of how hard to you work in the gym. the harder you work the more results you'll see.

Tuna Fish Riot
    Hot dog nipples.
    Tuna Fish Riot's Avatar Become A Pro!

Awhile back, when I didn't want to pay for the gym, I lost 24 lbs and built some muscle working out at home 30 minutes a day. No cardio. Just a good diet and lifting dumbbells and barbell. I didn't even have a bench or rack.

Anyone can make room for 30 minutes.

36mafia
    36mafia's Avatar Become A Pro!

50 pushups everytime you wake up/ go to bed

once 50 becomes a breeze go to 1000

i max out at 30k dont go to work until 2pm

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by 36mafia View Post
    50 pushups everytime you wake up/ go to bed

once 50 becomes a breeze go to 1000

i max out at 30k dont go to work until 2pm
    push ups are the best upper body workout, if you put your arms out wide you can even get a good back workout. Put your arms close together for triceps and shoulders.

Get a chair and put your feet up to increase your workout intensity, no equipment needed

patswin
    patswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10189

For me its easier going to a gym than working out at home
    I never do it at home
    Also strength training is important, try to do both cardio and strength

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by thespeculator View Post
    push ups are the best upper body workout, if you put your arms out wide you can even get a good back workout. Put your arms close together for triceps and shoulders.

Get a chair and put your feet up to increase your workout intensity, no equipment needed
    Not true guy. Pull-ups are the single best workout.

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    Not true guy. Pull-ups are the single best workout.
    true, but pull ups require you to be pretty strong to begin with , most people can't even do one ,

push ups can be done to start ,until you develop enough strength and then add in pull ups

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am thinking Justin needs that pull up routine. One half pull up per day Justin and you are ready to go bro!! lolol

spurginobili
    Llano Estacado
    spurginobili's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20505

60 minutes a week can be adequate(20 mins. three times a week - one day off between workouts) as long as your rest interval is short(30 seconds or less).

Blax0r's suggestion of dumbbells and exercises is good. Just look online for the types of exercises that fit your body and goals.

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

Why do so many people think 60 minutes won't do anything?

20 minutes x 3 a week can have results if used wisely.

He didn't say he wanted to be a bodybuilder!

Bulldog-53
    Bulldog-53's Avatar Become A Pro!

You gotta make time for your health my man.

WileOut
    WileOut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

You don't need equipment. You can do pushups and situps. Get a jump rope. So with those three you do legs, arms, and stomach. No expensive equipment is needed.

36mafia
    36mafia's Avatar Become A Pro!

i jack off 5 min a day twice a day 7 days a week

70 min of forearm workout

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by thespeculator View Post
    true, but pull ups require you to be pretty strong to begin with , most people can't even do one ,

push ups can be done to start ,until you develop enough strength and then add in pull ups
    This is true. I highly reccomend for people to do pull ups. They are very hard. When I first started I could only do two. I would wait 5 minutes than do two more. I did this every day 5 days a week. After 2 weeks I was able to do 5 a set. I kept doing this for months and within 5 months I could do sets of ten pretty easy. I did this for about 3 years and it gave me a permanent V shape.

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Maybe you should consider rotating out some of that 2.5hr cardio for a little more ST. It does elevate your heart rate and burn calories...

dngf
    Update your status
    dngf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 85308

Quote Originally Posted by spurginobili View Post
    60 minutes a week can be adequate(20 mins. three times a week - one day off between workouts) as long as your rest interval is short(30 seconds or less).

Blax0r's suggestion of dumbbells and exercises is good. Just look online for the types of exercises that fit your body and goals.
    I think this is the way to go. In addition, not sure what your cardio consists of, but I would incorporate some interval training into that to mix it up some, so it is a little different and makes your body adapt.

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

Im studying to be a Personal Trainer message me if you have any questions

12 Last