tomcast
    tomcast's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 251

I don't expect much from Newton

fletch49
    fletch49's Avatar Become A Pro!

With Carolina's terrible draft record in the last 5 years that alone makes him a dubious pick. Also, the fact that his number one ability as a college QB was his running ability...that too makes him a suspect more than a prospect ina league that features 'passing' QBs and NOT 'running' QBs.

Hookas1
    Hookas1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cool thread. Keep it coming

Gemoka
    GIBBONS
    Gemoka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 437

I expect less from Ponder

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Cam has a pretty small chance to thrive in NFL. And going to Carolina, a team that will put him in charge right away, makes even more difficult his development. I have always felt sympathy for the Panthers, but looks like they are in the wrong side of a draft once again.

kidk
    kidk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

they should of drafted him then traded him for like 5 first round draft choices

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

A little early to call him a bust. I think this thread might be appropriate in 2 or 3 years.

Foosball Champ
    Foosball Champ's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10486

I thought that this draft was really weak draft for quarterbacks but it was a decent draft for defensive players. I thought that the Bills had a really strong draft. Steve Young keeps saying that the Chiefs had the best draft. But I don't thinkg that Ricky Stanzi is a NFL QB.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

you guys are crazy. cam is really good, heart of a champion. was my favorite college player by far. total winner. also panthers will sell tickets.

shawnkang
    shawnkang's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

you're certain that he's a bust? nobody cares what you think dipshit.

Reno Paul
    Reno Paul's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2763

Glad my Niners drafted Kapernick out of Nevada in the second round.....Jim Harbaugh should help him with the West Coast offense.

The Niners do need help at the QB spot.

May lose every game on purpose this coming season to draft Andrew Luck. LOL

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 537

His attitude is the big question, if he is coachable I think he has the athletic ability to be good, if he is smart enough to learn reads well he could be Very Good-Great

Carseller4
    Carseller4's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5045

Don't see Cam doing too much. But if he can hang on for 3-4 years might be a different story.

joe17
    joe17's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by stc1709 View Post
    we all know hes gonna be a bust
    Of course he will be a bust. He will get eaten alive by opposing defenses

macmane
    macmane's Avatar Become A Pro!

Very weak for QB's. I think he has some great talent. I just hope he can learn the system. If he can I think he can be very good. If not, he will right there with JR. And will be playing in the CFL. Great tread fellas.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

The problem with Cam is than he is that he has many ways to fail. Just drafting a QB is risky, but he is even riskier. To succeed he must:
    1.- Have a better work ethic than reported.
    2.- Avoid being a nutcase in locker room.
    3.- Translate his abilities to NFL play.
    4.- Avoid being injuried early on his career.
    I would like to see Carolina competitive again, but Cam is a longshot to develop into an all star.

CisforCOOKIE
    CisforCOOKIE's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cmon Memphis get the W

CisforCOOKIE
    CisforCOOKIE's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow nice shot Conley

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/...osition=recent

Super freak Cam Newton is NFL’s best rookie

By George Diaz / The Orlando Sentinel | Monday, December 5, 2011 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Columnists

Photo by AP

TAMPA, Fla. — Cam Newton doesn’t Tebow.
    It’s funny how things work out. The most polarizing player in college football last season has given way to Tim Tebow, who has become the most polarizing player in professional football this season.
    Newton took a lot of heat last year, as details surfaced on his father’s pay-for-play scam he was running for his son after Cam’s junior season at Blinn College in Brenham, Texas. Newton eventually signed with Auburn and led the Tigers to a national title, but not without a bunch of NCAA baggage. Was he in on the deal? How couldn’t he be? Could a sharp-looking young adult be that naive?
    Newton no longer rolls in controversy since he rose as the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft. Taken by the Carolina Panthers, Newton was anointed the starter over former Notre Dame star Jimmy Clausen two games into the preseason.
    It was the obvious and only call to make. Newton will undoubtedly be the rookie of the year, emerging as a freaky hybrid at the quarterback position. He is Carolina’s biggest threat in the red zone, scoring three more TDs in a 38-19 throttling of the Tampa Bay Bucs on Sunday.
    Those three scores gave Newton 13 rushing TDs for the season, setting the NFL single-season record for rushing TDs by a quarterback and bumping New England’s Steve Grogan out of the NFL record book. It had been a while. Grogan held that mark since 1976.
    The Bucs (4-8) were most certainly accommodating with a laissez-faire defense. Perhaps it was the spirit of the season, while evoking the misery of a bygone era by wearing creamsickle throwback uniforms.
    Bucs’ wardrobe malfunction or not, Newton was unstoppable. He scored on three 1-year runs — including a vintage Newton moment when he jumped over the pile to fly into the end zone. That was all part of an afternoon that included Newton catching a throwback pass from Legedu Naanee and running for 27 yards, and throwing a 19-yard TD pass to Naanee.
    The Panthers are blessed with a complete package in Newton — a guy who has rushed for nearly 3,300 yards and has 26 combined rushing and passing touchdowns through 12 games.
    Cue the old-school classic, "Super Freak" by Rick James, no disrespect intended.
    "His head was spinning a little bit at first," Panthers tackle Jonathan Gross said of Newton. "Jimmy was our No. 1, but in that Cincinnati game in the preseason when Cam had the long touchdown scramble, we knew we had something good on our hands.
    "He works hard, man. I love his attitude. He’s getting to be a better leader off the field too. I think he understands how he affects the team. His scope of influence is big as a quarterback; the way he carries himself in practice and in the locker room speaks volumes. When Cam is full of energy and is working, everybody comes alive."
    All the controversial chatter is on Tebow now. Is he good enough to emerge as a star in the NFL, or is he simply on a quirky, unexplainable run?
    No need to ask any questions about Newton’s legitimacy.
    "I won’t say it gets easier," Newton said. "It’s a challenge each and every week playing in this league but one thing that I seem to get is more comfortable. Knowing where my guys are going to be, dictating to the defense to some degree with your eyes and your pre-snap reads. The only difference between this league and college is that the athleticism increases at each position, from defensive line to the secondary."
    No question that there is an energizing mix of young talent at the QB position in the NFL. Tebow continues to amaze in his second season, as he led the Broncos to yet another come-from-behind victory, this time against Minnesota in the Metrodome.
    Cincinnati’s Andy Dalton, Minnesota’s Christian Ponder and Jake Locker in Tennessee are making a lot of noise.
    But the loudest rookie screams are reserved for Newton, rightfully so.
    He’s officially in the pay-for-play league now and enjoying the perks of a four-year deal worth about $22 million.
    Worth every penny, too.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Foosball Champ View Post
    I am certain that this guy will be half Vince Young- Uncoachable and half Jamarcus Russell -zero accuracy.
    Hows your foot taste?

ncsubowen
    ncsubowen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by ncsubowen View Post
    As much as I hate to admit it you're right. The panther thought highly of Clauson for NO GOOD REASON and now they have gone and drafted another crap qb.

At least I still have the Chargers to cheer for.
    God how wrong could I have been. Cam has been amazing, and the Chargers, crap.

I will say this though, as good as he is there is still a lot of room for improvement, especially late in the game. Still, a very encouraging sign for the Panthers to start turning things around.

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Hows your foot taste?
    this. dude is eating alot of crow right now

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Quote Originally Posted by odtw524 View Post
    Even if he does do well carolina will still suck
    6:25 Carolina Panthers CAR TD
    Cam Newton rushed up the middle for 1 yard gain (Justin Medlock made PAT)
    23 - 7

tD CAM.

TTA_President
    TTA_President's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

So funny to read old posts. One guy said Jake locker was the best qb in the draft.

popovitsch
    popovitsch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1389

lol nice thread

TTA_President

Small chance. Is still a chance

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5626

I think all you boys are dead nuts wrong about Newton. Based on my observations and reports from inside sources this rookie will indeed find enormous success in the NFL and don't be a bit surprised if Carolina lands in the Super Bowl four years hence and wouldn't it be ironic if he faced off against Peyton Manning in the twilight of his storied career?!

We will have to wait several years to see how this plays out but just offering my thoughts for what it's worth.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

I remember some of these comments, pretty funny stuff. Mainly kids making comments they thought were accurate. I get it, tell me which one of us when young didn't make silly predictions? We all did. I made a couple comments in another thread about how difficult it is to win in gambling in the long run and about 5 people jumped on me. lol Kids for sure.

TTA_President

Its my fault, I wanted to defend cam way back when, now I feel I still don't have to defend him. But, just to see these things are nostalgic.

actiondan
    actiondan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16699

I thought he'd be a bust too. Has really improved his accuracy this yr

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

The thing is, its very easy to be wrong on predicting a QB's career. Countless very experienced GMs have been dead wrong in public many times on this subject.

JMon
    I'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    JMon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10742

Quote Originally Posted by actiondan View Post
    I thought he'd be a bust too. Has really improved his accuracy this yr
    Honestly, me as well. Good for him to prove haters wrong. However, lets hope he stinks it up in the SB for my teams sake.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Epic thread.

capone1899
    capone1899's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 122

Quote Originally Posted by Foosball Champ View Post
    I am certain that this guy will be half Vince Young- Uncoachable and half Jamarcus Russell -zero accuracy.
    Good prediction

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

LOL

First 1234 Last