poochiecollins
    poochiecollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 534

Firefighters generally get too much pay and job security

Their mortality rate doesn't reach the top ten for U.S. jobs. That's only using 2005 data, but mortality doesn't greatly change by year, except certain freak instances like 2001.

From a business perspective, it doesn't make sense to give firefighters high job security; you do so when you're trying to attract stable, family people, and such people would shade away from firefighting for its hazards.

A lot of people try to get into the job, which should bring down pay. Are great skills needed for the job that few individuals can pick up well? I'm guessing some people who are familiar with the field will chime in, but I know that the job's not treated highly as such because of the job security; if a quality firefighter is hugely important, it'd make sense to eliminate or force leave for those who were less than excellent.

I bring all this up because I'm attracted to the really high job satisfaction reported among several surveys, among other things, and I wish pay and security were appreciably less so I could have less competition (I've concluded from research that it's usually very hard to get into paid positions).

Edit: job security is very close to 100%, according to one article I read, and this post assumes the high pay of firefighters isn't in dispute.

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Yeah, those civil servants have it made.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

but look at all the idiots who start fires that they have to put up with. That alone should be worth a lot.

apkboston
    apkboston's Avatar Become A Pro!

i agree that they are paid highly, but they provide an invaluable service!

nikevols
    nikevols's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yep, and football players and owners should get paid more

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

It's not that close to 100%

A lot of municipalities hold yearly raises over the heads of firefighters and threaten layoffs with they don't accept the pay freeze.

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

they risk their lives to save peoples lives and possessions, not only that but most fire departments require firemen to also be emt's

harlee71
    harlee71's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 197

I dont know about high pay. My Brother in law has been a fire fighter in one of the wealthiest counties in GA and he only makes like $15 a hour. He works 24 on and 48 off and he loves that part and for the most part the job. Politics and budget really **** with them though. If they can cut back on cops, then you know they can cut back firefighters.

sparkyasu
    sparkyasu's Avatar Become A Pro!

DUH

The government does not negotiate with unions for civil servants. They just give them whatever they ask for

Doug
    Doug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1298

I dont know about high pay. My Brother in law has been a fire fighter in one of the wealthiest counties in GA and he only makes like $15 a hour. He works 24 on and 48 off and he loves that part and for the most part the job. Politics and budget really **** with them though. If they can cut back on cops, then you know they can cut back firefighters.

$15 seems pretty low

harlee71

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

$15 seems pretty low
    It was $16 and some change and they cut it back about 6months ago.

Nittany Lion
    Nittany Lion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 675

MendozaLine
    MendozaLine's Avatar Become A Pro!

You need to take into account that they're also EMT's. They aren't just putting out fires. They're on the scene when some kid is fatally stabbed at a party or when someone blows their brains out. I am very close to 3 local firefighters here. They earn every penny they make.

Nittany Lion

Quote Originally Posted by MendozaLine View Post
    You need to take into account that they're also EMT's. They aren't just putting out fires. They're on the scene when some kid is fatally stabbed at a party or when someone blows their brains out. I am very close to 3 local firefighters here. They earn every penny they make.

Do you have a ballpark figure on how much they make a year? Just curious.

MendozaLine
    MendozaLine's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im pretty sure these guys are making around 80k or more a year because they're also emt's. My best friends dad might even make close to 100k a year because he also does investigative work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nittany Lion View Post
    Do you have a ballpark figure on how much they make a year? Just curious.

secretstash
    secretstash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 45

im pretty sure we need these people though so i dont mind them getting paid decent wage.. better than trying to explain why actors or athletes get paid millions.. the numbers are way too astronomical and outrageous.

-stash

dizzy_7
    dizzy_7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

they may have a low base hourly wage, BUT... they do 12/24 hour shifts, that is a shitload of overtime in that 1 shift.

usually 4 days on 4 days off, 4 days off, overtime galore is where they make up for a low hourly rate.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by TexansFan View Post
    Yeah, those civil servants have it made.
    I thought, you were a cop......

Bigmikesm
    Bigmikesm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1690

Tough job. Don't think I would do it for what they get paid. Much respect.

hockeyman30304
    hockeyman30304's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Im a paramedic and worked for the city of Ft Worth for 4 years. Im about to go part time at my job and get a fire job in one of the local cities. 95% of the work of firefighters is Medical and that is also 2.5 years of the training. Fire school is only 4 months and is by far the easiest of the 3 (EMT, Paramedic, Fire) to get. Trust me on this when your family is dying you want a Medic who is getting paid enough and has a secure job saving them because where I work most the medics dont give a ****.

avg annual starting fire salary here 40K managers at mcdonalds make more....would you rather have better salted fries or someone saving your house or life when you need it?

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Very interesting post. Firefighters do have it good around here, but I wouldn't want them to have anything less.

harlee71

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyman30304 View Post
    avg annual starting fire salary here 40K managers at mcdonalds make more....would you rather have better salted fries or someone saving your house or life when you need it?
    This is about what my brother in law makes not counting OT. Then again he only works one 24hr shift every 3days. He does side work like most firefighters on the off days.

kiln
    Ezekiel 25:17
    kiln's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 436

The problem with this great country of ours is that police, firefighters, and teachers get paid too much. And all those damned veterans, too, should quit begging for handouts. And the disabled are a real problem. Why should I help someone just because she's blind and crippled? If she really wanted a job she would go get one. And that reminds me: what's with all this money we're spending on higher education? You don't need an education to get a job, you just need to want to work hard. After all, we are the wealthiest nation in the history of planet earth and we are supposed to represent the pinnacle of human achievement and freedom. What better expresses that than cutting pay for police, firefighters, and teachers?
    Last edited by kiln; 04-05-11 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typeo and spelling mistake

sparkyasu
    sparkyasu's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by secretstash View Post
    better than trying to explain why actors or athletes get paid millions.. the numbers are way too astronomical and outrageous.

-stash
    because they generate a whole lot more revenue then they get paid

hockeyman30304

Quote Originally Posted by kiln View Post
    The problem with this great country of ours is that police, firefighters, and teachers get paid too much.
    Wow really? Teachers and Police?? Teachers do not get pain enough at all. What makes our country great is our education system that so many countries do not have and the Police...This guy wants us to be like mexico haha guess youve never been there or seen what Mexico is really like. EMS is abused here but I hope your child/wife gets an underpaid Firefighter/Medic if/when they are dying you will wish they cared more about there job. The problem with america is spoiled americans dont know how good they have it and talk shit about 3 very important jobs that make this country great...

Pilots make 150K-250K and there job is almost fully automated

35-hour workweek, orthodontists earn a median $350,000 a year..dont need this to have a ''great country'' british people have horrible teeth lol
    CEOS make way too much
    Everyone on Wall Street makes far too much for the backbreaking work of moving money around..Stock-fund managers can easily earn $500,000 to $1 million a year...even though only 3 in 10 beat the market in the last 10 years.

You name police, fire, and teachers and they make no where near this kind of money that could take a huge pay cut. I wish we could seclude you to a city with the worst teachers, police, and fire. Ill pay to watch it on TV watch you get assaulted with no help, house burn down and kids grow up like the kids in Mexico with very little if any schooling....

hockeyman30304

Googled 10 most underpaid jobs in america, FIRST link that came up all 3 Police, Fire, and Teacher were on the list...
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...jobs-in-the-us

''The vast majority of Americans would never consider doing these 10 jobs, either because of the poor pay or what's involved. Still, in every case, they're performing an indispensable service, and we all owe them a debt of gratitude for it.''

757sFinest
    757sFinest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Teachers make the most?. LOL!! Trust me, my fiance has been teaching 3rd grade for 10 years now at a title one school. If you know like I do, you would see why this country is going to sh*t. Parents now-adays could care less about their children. If it wasn't for her actually caring about these kids 90% would end up dead or in jail by the time they are 18 instead of the standard 55%. She makes a little over 40k with a masters. Oh and she's still paying off her student loan.

kiln
    Ezekiel 25:17
    kiln's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 436

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyman30304 View Post
    Wow really? Teachers and Police?? Teachers do not get pain enough at all. What makes our country great is our education system that so many countries do not have and the Police...This guy wants us to be like mexico haha guess youve never been there or seen what Mexico is really like. EMS is abused here but I hope your child/wife gets an underpaid Firefighter/Medic if/when they are dying you will wish they cared more about there job. The problem with america is spoiled americans dont know how good they have it and talk shit about 3 very important jobs that make this country great...

Pilots make 150K-250K and there job is almost fully automated

35-hour workweek, orthodontists earn a median $350,000 a year..dont need this to have a ''great country'' british people have horrible teeth lol
    CEOS make way too much
    Everyone on Wall Street makes far too much for the backbreaking work of moving money around..Stock-fund managers can easily earn $500,000 to $1 million a year...even though only 3 in 10 beat the market in the last 10 years.

You name police, fire, and teachers and they make no where near this kind of money that could take a huge pay cut. I wish we could seclude you to a city with the worst teachers, police, and fire. Ill pay to watch it on TV watch you get assaulted with no help, house burn down and kids grow up like the kids in Mexico with very little if any schooling....

It's a well known fact that irony,facetiousness, and the like are extremely difficult to communicate on Internet forums. Here we have another case to prove the point.

I was being sarcastic in my original post.

hockeyman30304

well sorry kiln I took it the wrong way just people out there really do believe that and being a paramedic its bull%&$. Being close friends with cops and knowing how important teachers are and how underpaid they all are its stupid that people actually think that. Once again sorry just a topic that gets me hot

Foosball Champ
    Foosball Champ's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10474

Under no circumstances should fireman or cops should be getting paid more than teachers. Teachers have to actually get a four year degree as well as two more years for credentials. Put up with students with behavior problems, completely unreasonable test expectations and crazy parents.

hhsilver
    hhsilver's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29946

Kiln , great post.
    I see it was misunderstood , but that is understandable because so many would say almost exactly what you said and mean it. hockeyman read it quickly and reacted as if you meant it because , sadly, I'm sure he's heard the same garbage many times from those who did mean it.

I'm glad you two guys and I are on the same side.

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2117

I support the fire stoppers of america

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

My good friend works for the State of California as a fire fighter. The sorry thing about his job is having to stay at those remote fire stations for two weeks to a month. Other than that he gets paid healthy for watching TV, excercising and playing recreational sports at the Station. I don't gripe about their pay because thier job is insanely hazardous.

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Quote Originally Posted by Foosball Champ View Post
    Under no circumstances should fireman or cops should be getting paid more than teachers. Teachers have to actually get a four year degree as well as two more years for credentials. Put up with students with behavior problems, completely unreasonable test expectations and crazy parents.

That's just how it is. A California Correction Officers make almost 100k a year with OT and good amount of those dude's only have a high School Education. They make more than a Registered Nurse who needs six year of schooling in College.

Nittany Lion

Quote Originally Posted by frostno98 View Post
    That's just how it is. A California Correction Officers make almost 100k a year with OT and good amount of those dude's only have a high School Education. They make more than a Registered Nurse who needs six year of schooling in College.
    If a CA Correction Officer makes that much...then **** me, I should have done that.

123 Last