HotStreak
    Smokin'
    HotStreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 901

Haha Gypsies. An old Armenian dude I worked with used to call everyone gypsies and whooors. Reminded me of this guy.

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it
    whatsgood5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just bought a car off CL a couple days ago, after about three months of searching for one.

I've got two CarFax searches left, so I'd be happy to run your VIN through for ya if ya want. If it shows good things, then obviously use it. But if it's showing bad things and the car's value to be $XXX below book value, then just change the subject to carflaps if people ask you if you have a CarFax.

kickenchicken
    kickenchicken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4128

make sure that it runs

elgreco
    elgreco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1612

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    profit what numbers do you use, kbb, nada or edmunds? of course kbb shows private party is about $2200 less then retail (which most people think is buying from a dealer)
    I realize this question was for profit, but I'm going to jump in with my $0.02 anyway . "Book value" doesn't really mean much nowadays. Prices vary wildly from region to region and those books are made with auction buyers in mind. You will get a much more accurate value by researching what your model car is going for in your area, autotrader is a good place to start. Depending on the vehicle and your region, you may see large discrepancies between actual "book value" and and the price they are actually selling for in your area.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by elgreco View Post
    I realize this question was for profit, but I'm going to jump in with my $0.02 anyway . "Book value" doesn't really mean much nowadays. Prices vary wildly from region to region and those books are made with auction buyers in mind. You will get a much more accurate value by researching what your model car is going for in your area, autotrader is a good place to start. Depending on the vehicle and your region, you may see large discrepancies between actual "book value" and and the price they are actually selling for in your area.
    again the supply for my car seems to not be there as people aren't selling them. within 200 miles of my zip there are only 5 '03 altimas for sale by a private party and only 1 is lower mileage then mine. dealers however want an arm and a leg for them it looks like

elgreco

Ok, I see your problem. I don't know if they still do this, but Autotrader used to have a program where you paid $30 (for online only) and the ad would run until the car was sold. That may be your best bet. Shoot for a little higher then what the dealers are asking for, and since you have time, you can let the market's response be your guide as far as lowering your price. Also, if you can find a NEW car dealership selling your used model, thats a much better price indicator than a used car dealership's price. When a new car dealership gets a trade-in, they only keep the best of the best, the rest are auctioned off wholesale to people who run used car dealerships.

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

I use NADA for southeast region. Thats a good starting point ya know, for average or above average trade, retail, wholesale, etc.. then make adjustments for the current situation. Like right now, you can get more out of a vehicle that gets good MPG than you could have last year when gas was a dollar lower.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

dealers nowadays use whats known as the "black book" which is based on what they go for at dealer only auctions. if u thought blue book trade in was low, black book is 30-50% lower.

but if selling privately, blue book is fine cause everyone uses it since not many are awarea of the black book.

blackbeSSt

so what would be a good price to set mine at then?

2003 nissan altima sl
    107k miles
    leather
    sunroof
    cd changer
    bose sound
    nothing major as far as physical or cosmetic

KBB: good private party $7310, excellent $7860. retail however is $9560
    NADA: clean retail $8100

autotrader within 100 miles seems to be all over the place

elgreco

The Profit seems to deal with this more than I do, so it may be best to wait for his opinion.. if you want mine, read on:

They seem to be going for a steady 8k-9k in my area, with a ton of listings. The reality is, at least here in South Florida, people are going to offer you whatever they want regardless of your asking price (I've had people offer me 8k for a 18k Mercedes SUV). So aim high. If its super-clean, I would ask for $10,900 and give it to the first real offer above 9k. You'll get a good idea of what the market is looking for within the first week it is listed and can make adjustments from there.

elgreco

Greenville?!? My sister went to Bob Jones. Polar opposite of me

blackbeSSt

The Profit seems to deal with this more than I do, so it may be best to wait for his opinion.. if you want mine, read on:

They seem to be going for a steady 8k-9k in my area, with a ton of listings. The reality is, at least here in South Florida, people are going to offer you whatever they want regardless of your asking price (I've had people offer me 8k for a 18k Mercedes SUV). So aim high. If its super-clean, I would ask for $10,900 and give it to the first real offer above 9k. You'll get a good idea of what the market is looking for within the first week it is listed and can make adjustments from there.
    see my wife think that we can't get over $8000 cause only dealerships are asking over that and that person to person kbb price is around $7200

Greenville?!? My sister went to Bob Jones. Polar opposite of me
    yup! good ole bob jones university! back when i was young and didn't know anything about it i heard they had the sidewalks painted pink and blue and you couldn't walk on the other sexes color

Rio DiNero
    using no way as way
    Rio DiNero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 218

After dealing with all the headaches and hagglers, finally sold the car last night. Best advice I can give is link a photo album from photobucket to your craigslist ad with 20 to 50 pics. After I did this, I got more interest in the car, and sold it in about 10 days.

elgreco

congrats

First 12