Rio DiNero
    using no way as way
    Rio DiNero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 218

Tips on selling a car?

I've been trying to sell a car. I have it on craigslist, and have been running into nothing but crooks,bullers, and gypsies. You guys have any tips?
    Points Awarded:

TR88 gave Rio DiNero 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

I just sold a car today on craigs. Best way to go, IMO. Sound like you just live in an area full of crooks, bullshitters, and gypsies. Craigslist cant help that

TR88
    TR88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Rio DiNero View Post
    I've been trying to sell a car. I have it on craigslist, and have been running into nothing but crooks,bullers, and gypsies. You guys have any tips?
    ....good thread you got going man,but I'm in the same situation....it's easy if you are selling not that expensive car but if you try and sell something more expensive you are fukked....

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Clean it up real nice, take good photos, make a reasonable price.

Not hard to find a buyer unless you live in fukin Montana.

THE PROFIT

I ran this one for 2 days, first day got 9 calls & 3 come by to look, sold at 2:00pm today

excel
    unapproved
    excel's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you were a pro, I would tell you how to sell it.

THE PROFIT

Quote Originally Posted by excel View Post
    If you were a pro, I would tell you how to sell it.
    people on craigs know if you're a PRO or not, if you're not PRO they fuk with ya

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Gypsies are my peeps!!!

onetrickpony
    onetrickpony's Avatar Become A Pro!

fuking gypsies

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

eBay is the best.

you only have to deal with 1 buyer (winning bidder) and they are legally obligated to purchase the car.

ronjon619
    California Uber Alles
    ronjon619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

Quote Originally Posted by TR88 View Post
    ....good thread you got going man,but I'm in the same situation....it's easy if you are selling not that expensive car but if you try and sell something more expensive you are fukked....
    stick to your prices. Dont let it go for 1$ less.

THE PROFIT

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    eBay is the best.

you only have to deal with 1 buyer (winning bidder) and they are legally obligated to purchase the car.
    what a joke. You cant shipa fukin car & no one wants to go more than 200 miles to buy one so craigs is your best option since its fukin free.

Local classified papers also work great for me

sneakerhead
    I NEED MONEY
    sneakerhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1417

autotrader, dont know if people still use it though lol

HauntingTheHoly
    HauntingTheHoly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 483

Don't "over-describe" every little goddam thing about the car in the ad. Keep it short and simple. You want people interested so they will call and AX questions, and there on the phone is your chance to "sell" the car. Pay me.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

Quote Originally Posted by THE PROFIT View Post
    what a joke. You cant shipa fukin car & no one wants to go more than 200 miles to buy one so craigs is your best option since its fukin free.

Local classified papers also work great for me
    you cant ship cars? so this transportation company which has been shipping cars on ebay for over 10 years is just a figment of my imagination?

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

when i sold a car on ebay, the buyer happened to live just few miles away and got way more than i had advertised in the papers. plus i didnt have to deal with dozens of looky loos, scammers, con artists, thieves, etc.

ebay also offers free local classifieds (200 miles) which comes with a free autocheck history, so you dont have to pay.

again, ebay is the way to go.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

Quote Originally Posted by HauntingTheHoly View Post
    Don't "over-describe" every little goddam thing about the car in the ad. Keep it short and simple. You want people interested so they will call and AX questions, and there on the phone is your chance to "sell" the car. Pay me.
    i included 50 pictures with full description. but that was on ebay. sold for much more than i had advertised in the papers.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    eBay is the best.

yeah but you'll have a new asshole ripped in the amount of fees they will charge you

edit: i just ran a quick calc on if i sold my car on ebay and it would cost me $328 in fees with ebay and paypal. just ebay fees are $125
    Last edited by blackbeSSt; 03-28-11 at 09:01 AM.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

people on craigs know if you're a PRO or not, if you're not PRO they fuk with ya

blackbeSSt

OP i'll be in the same boat here soon. time to ditch the sedan for with a 3rd row suv or the dreaded minivan

keep it on CL, upload some real pics to photobucket instead of those 4 shitty small pics CL offers, make sure the price is around book value, and weed out the low ballers

AMBlai01
    SBR Resident Drunk
    AMBlai01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2152

CL sucks...because it is free. Everyone wants to low ball and get everything they can out of you.

Rio DiNero
    using no way as way
    Rio DiNero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 218

Quote Originally Posted by AMBlai01 View Post
    CL sucks...because it is free. Everyone wants to low ball and get everything they can out of you.
    Thats pretty much what I'm getting. I have the car listed under blue book, and everyone who calls wants to beat me up over the phone on the price. I tell them I am willing to come down a little on the price, but I won't do it on the phone if your interested come take a look and make me an offer. Then, I cut a deal with two different guys on the car, but when it came time to do the deal both would not sign the title. I guess I'll keep it on cl, but its been nothing but headaches.

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by Rio DiNero View Post
    Thats pretty much what I'm getting. I have the car listed under blue book, and everyone who calls wants to beat me up over the phone on the price. I tell them I am willing to come down a little on the price, but I won't do it on the phone if your interested come take a look and make me an offer. Then, I cut a deal with two different guys on the car, but when it came time to do the deal both would not sign the title. I guess I'll keep it on cl, but its been nothing but headaches.
    yeah you gotta have pretty thick skin to deal with the people that buy on CL.

THE PROFIT

I sell a lot of shit, but I run 3 word teaser ads for free in the classified papers. Just something to get them interested enough to call & then you can sell them on everything you have. No need to get over descriptive in the ads

blackbeSSt

I sell a lot of shit, but I run 3 word teaser ads for free in the classified papers. Just something to get them interested enough to call & then you can sell them on everything you have. No need to get over descriptive in the ads
    again profit, i find it funny that old people are looking for young tight pussy

elgreco
    elgreco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1612

There are a lot of scammers on craigslist. What kind of car are you trying to sell (price range, don't have to say the actual model... although maybe someone here wants it )? I've had good luck on Autotrader, ebay seems like a good idea, but I've never had my cars hit the reserve price. If you go the AutoTrader route, WATCH OUT FOR PHISHING EMAILS!!! There is a really good scam going now preying on AutoTrader sellers that actually got one of my employees.

THE PROFIT

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    again profit, i find it funny that old people are looking for young tight pussy

elgreco
    elgreco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1612

Quote Originally Posted by ronjon619 View Post
    stick to your prices. Dont let it go for 1$ less.
    You're going to kick yourself in the ass if you follow this advice. I once turned down a $28.500 offer on a 30k X5 and it took me almost 3 months to finally sell it for even less than that. Nervous times.

THE PROFIT

everyone, i dont care who, wants to haggle with you even if its $5. It makes them feel like they got a good deal & got over on ya, even if you're fukin almost giving it away as it is, so just add some wiggle room in your price.

I sold a car last week asked $2000 let it go & acted like it was killing me for $1800, I paid $800 for it. I turned a quick grand & the buyer felt like he had really worked me over & was happy

I sold cars for years at a dealership. The key is dont ever come off your price at first, if youre asking $2000 & the first thing the buyer asks is whats the least youll take, dont say $1800 or $1600, say "Im asking $2000" & keep selling the sizzle

THE PROFIT

If you are too eager to lower your price the buyer knows you are desperate to sell or its junk you are wanting to get rid of for what you can get out of it. NEVER NEVER act desperate to sell & youll always hold more gross

blackbeSSt

If you are too eager to lower your price the buyer knows you are desperate to sell or its junk you are wanting to get rid of for what you can get out of it. NEVER NEVER act desperate to sell & youll always hold more gross
    tsrh. i got a 2003 altima that im selling here soon. its paid off and i have the title in hand. im in no hurry to sell it. but from the looks of things the demand is still there for good mpg sedans with low miles but the supply is not. i'll get what i want for it cause i don't have to listen to people dick around with me. i got they car that they want

THE PROFIT

right now people are wanting 4cyl great MPG cars. I just sold a 93 Mustang LX Convertible with a 2.3L gets over 30 mpg, actually I traded it. It had 170,000 miles but ran great. I traded even for a 99 Dodge Dakota Sport with a 3.9 Magnum V6 that has been professionally lowered 3", sharp looking truck that still gets decent gas mileage. But I basically came out about $2000 better on what the vehicles book out average NADA retail. It all depends on what people want. I wanted a truck & he wanted a convertible

blackbeSSt

^^ yup. mines a 4 banger with around 105k and gets 25+mpg. but it also has heated leather, sunroof, 6 disc cd changer to help matters. thats where the supply does not meet the demand. hence i get what i want for it

THE PROFIT

you'll get clean retail for that car, dont budge on the fukin price

nikossf
    I dont play at SHIT books
    nikossf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Leave it on the side of the road with a "For Sale" sign in the window,..Have your wife standing by the car with a sign saying, "Free blowjob with purchase of car"....

blackbeSSt

you'll get clean retail for that car, dont budge on the fukin price
    profit what numbers do you use, kbb, nada or edmunds? of course kbb shows private party is about $2200 less then retail (which most people think is buying from a dealer)

12 Last