fedtpels
    fedtpels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8416

OMG there's some oblivious people here. I don't even know where to begin....?

I'm from Denmark and I personally know some of Gus' good friends in the community so I hear a lot of the stories that goes around. I met him last year and he's a nice and calm guy - he at least hides his ego very well
    He's not even close to being broke. He has percentages in Full Tilt, he sold his own site for bundles, he is considered one of the best backgammon players alive (he's still active playing tourneys and millionaires) and he is currently hitting the money as we speak in the Aussie Millions which he won in 2007.

It's obvious that you're guessing here, haters.
    Sure he has huge swings, as do all the major players. and he is known for his "crazy" approach to the game which creates a lot of action on the nosebleeds cause all the other guys feel they have an edge on the guy and honestly some people do, but there's a lot of math behind this. It's all about picking your spots and maximizing your profit. As we all know 72o can beat AA, but don't sit there and tell me that's it's just luck and than anybody that gets lucky to begin with can become a consistent winner at even the lower stakes such as 1-2$.

I can't believe how people on a gamling forum like SBR can call poker a game of pure luck.....pure luck! It's calculated gambling just like betting is and it's hard work. Swings occurs in both disciplines and it ruins a lot of bank accounts, but Gus Hansen's isn't one of them.

No doubt a lot of these guys are degenerates and it does take a lot of money to get their blood flowing when it comes to betting and prop-betting, but their wealthy lives aren't even near the brink of bankcruptcy. They invest in a variety of fields, more high risk than others, so going broke for real is not really an issue for many of these guys. I'm not saying all these guys are the same, but they are very skilled in what they do.

Oh and as far as I know he doesn't have a wife - he's a total man-slut degenerate in that field as well.

FATAL V3N0M
    FATAL V3N0M's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gus Hansen - 2009 Loss Analysis

When the luck runs out, and the flops aren't hitting that's bound to happen to a fish like Hansen. He sees way too many flops and usually overplays weak hands. Personally, he is NOT a poker player I would call "Professional". Hes just extremely aggressive and was ridiculously lucky. Like I said to begin with, his luck has run out. Now hes on tilt never to recover, poor guy.

Who the heck sponsors Hansen anyway? He plays like its the lotto, like its play-money for crying out loud. He deserves no attention, he's just another bum off the street that was riding on luck and aggression for a while, but that's all over now. His aggression has got him in hole now, his opponent are on to him. With his style of play, he will only slip deeper into the hole. I'm sure he will get more fools to sponsor him, but it will be no good. Hansen's opponents are aware of his style and will have no problem busting him.

I like Hansen's style, he's just got to slow down. I mean, it's a given that if his opponent checks, Hansen will surely bet. And not just a little tester, it's always an over sized bet, obligating himself to the pot. So when his opponent has trapped him, he has no where to go but all in. It's no surprise to hear of his tremendous loses for 2009.

I would like to see him final table some more, but it's not likely. Dude is now a fish out of water, the poker world has got his number and it shows.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Have you noticed how all the "poker pros" that are far from broke have had huge losing sessions but everyone says hey they're not broke they have a stake in Full Tilt or Pokerchamps or Lickmynuts.com or whatever poker site is reimbursing their losses

My question is what tha fuk does that have to do with skill as a poker player? The most successful "poker pros" are just the guys that got a cut of Full Tilt when it was takin off, that's not really any compliment to their poker skill its just a compliment to how many idiots are playing on Full Tilt and gettin raked for 100s of millions of dollars so 2% of that rake or whatever Gus or Ivey get is a pretty good payday, pokerwise Gus is down 5 mil over the last 8 months, in other word playing poker is costing him over a half mil a month while endorsing poker is makin him a millionaire

bigblacktruck
    bigblacktruck's Avatar Become A Pro!

its made for losing

bettilimbroke999

Anyone know whatever happened to Erik Seidel? Did he just forget how to play poker or somethin? Start thinkin a straight beats a flush or somethin?

And all these female poker pros I mean come the fuk on, just models that play poker

sq764
    sq764's Avatar Become A Pro!

how can online poker be 'rigged'? Why would a poker room give a crap who wins? They care about the rake only.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

I got fuk for my stack on jokerstars last night with the classic AA vs KK.

andrew5
    andrew5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by carysturtz View Post
    Gus Hanson is overrated!

[COLOR=#000000 !important]Gus Hanson is overrated![/COLOR]

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by sq764 View Post
    how can online poker be 'rigged'? Why would a poker room give a crap who wins? They care about the rake only.
    Absolute and UB were rigged by having "superuser" accounts that could see everyone's cards, a couple former employees just logged in and picked up 20 mil at the high limit tables since they could see what their opponents cards were

Full Tilt and Pokerstars are probably not rigged since they tax their players 100s of millions in the form of rake each year anyway, so trying to steal another 100 mil would be stupid since the players are already giving them 100s of millions anyway but smaller sites are probably all rigged, you go to a site with 500 players and 80% of those players are playin microlimits and play money and the 20% that are real poker players are prolly getting 50% rakeback and bonuses etc its not hard to imagine the owners rigging the higher limits

coldhardfacts
    coldhardfacts's Avatar Become A Pro!

LOFL.

How could Tim Donaghy fix games? He was making a 6 figure salary (I know, I know, he claims he didn't fix games. If you believe that...)

How could Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens take steroids? They were multi millionaires and lock Hall of Famers.

How could big Wall Street firms worth billions risk everything on subprime loan investments?

How could multi-billion dollar corporations dump toxic waste that's going to result in people getting cancer?

How could Lee Iacocca and Ford decide to continue to manufacture the Pinto knowing that rear-end crashes would inevitably result in a number of deaths and serious injuries?

GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!

good post chf. People are motivated by a lot of things.

I like the aggressive style of play. It's a calculation between the amount in the pot vs the probability of the opponents folding and you making the better hand. If you can do this well then you're a good player. That takes alot more skill than waiting for the nuts and hoping to trap someone. The problem is when everybody knows what you're doing they'll re-pop you too often or refuse to fold and cost you your edge. A good player has to be able to vary his play against gd opponents.

icancount2one
    Let's go NickFolian Dynamite!
    icancount2one's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 571

It seems to me that many players are drugged out of their heads. Scotty Nguyen caught a lot of crap for getting drunk and rowdy, but I'd bet the WSOP is like Christmas for Vegas coke dealers. Gus is a great player, but he walks a very fine line, and a month or two long coke binge could easily throw off his perception to the point he'd be a huge loser.

I think it was Courtney Love who said "It's not that you get broke from buying cocaine, it's the decisions you make when you're on it."

And to all you clowns saying "online poker is rigged, nobody wins at poker" the top 15% of us do. But to elaborate on a post someone made ITT, probably 80% of players think they're in that 15%

Indecent
    Indecent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1156

Have any of you that have said he has no talent actually read his book? There is certainly a method to the "madness". Certainly a better player than most here will give him credit for.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    Read this in POKER PRO..........taking a break from poker.
    Truth is all Poker Pro's lost millions at one time or another because of the luck factor involved
    Which proves my original theory even further.

Indecent

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Which proves my original theory even further.
    Only in your world.

Besides, you have a hypothesis. Gravity is a theory.

joeybagadonuts
    joeybagadonuts's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gus Hansen is far from broke.

Even with a huge losing year, he is still up a ton all time online. Also, he is staked. Not all that money was he that he lost playing.

fedtpels

Quote Originally Posted by Indecent View Post
    Have any of you that have said he has no talent actually read his book? There is certainly a method to the "madness". Certainly a better player than most here will give him credit for.
    Thank you!
    Btw he came in 23rd place in Melbourne today. I guess he was just mad lucky.

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Quote Originally Posted by tonyhomo View Post

i don#t believe in all the hype these alleged poker pros get,
    these players are more or less solid players, who got lucky and reached the final table in one of the wsop tournaments.
    I remember one guy , i think his name was moneymaker,he won the wsop maybe 6 years ago and he probably didn't't even know the difference between trips and sets and he still got a contract from a poker network and considered himself a poker pro

Moneymaker sparked a poker revolution. I think he is important enough to get a sponsorship with a poker site.

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Also, Gus Hansen is sponsored by Full Tilt Poker so he gets 100% rakeback on the website, a monthly salary, and backing into tons of tournaments. Plus, he is friends with plenty of rich guys so he has a lifetime hookup.

JoshW
    JoshW's Avatar Become A Pro!

New season of High Stakes Poker starts valentine's day. Last season was pretty good, I have high hopes for this one. Durr loosens up the games like Hansen used to do.

mcbaseball10
    mcbaseball10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1905

Quote Originally Posted by fedtpels View Post

I'm from Denmark and I personally know some of Gus' good friends in the community so I hear a lot of the stories that goes around. I met him last year and he's a nice and calm guy - he at least hides his ego very well
    He's not even close to being broke. He has percentages in Full Tilt, he sold his own site for bundles, he is considered one of the best backgammon players alive (he's still active playing tourneys and millionaires) and he is currently hitting the money as we speak in the Aussie Millions which he won in 2007.

Sure he has huge swings, as do all the major players. and he is known for his "crazy" approach to the game which creates a lot of action on the nosebleeds cause all the other guys feel they have an edge on the guy and honestly some people do, but there's a lot of math behind this. It's all about picking your spots and maximizing your profit. As we all know 72o can beat AA, but don't sit there and tell me that's it's just luck and than anybody that gets lucky to begin with can become a consistent winner at even the lower stakes such as 1-2$.

I can't believe how people on a gamling forum like SBR can call poker a game of pure luck.....pure luck! It's calculated gambling just like betting is and it's hard work. Swings occurs in both disciplines and it ruins a lot of bank accounts, but Gus Hansen's isn't one of them.

No doubt a lot of these guys are degenerates and it does take a lot of money to get their blood flowing when it comes to betting and prop-betting, but their wealthy lives aren't even near the brink of bankcruptcy. They invest in a variety of fields, more high risk than others, so going broke for real is not really an issue for many of these guys. I'm not saying all these guys are the same, but they are very skilled in what they do.

Oh and as far as I know he doesn't have a wife - he's a total man-slut degenerate in that field as well.

Good post. I read his book where he detailed every hand from the Aussie Millionaires. People that know him just from his TV hands have no idea what is going through his head. His calculated risks and feel bets are sure to have a lot of ups and downs. He is a great aggressive player that will outlive his money, no doubt about it.

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it
    whatsgood5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jgray View Post
    Maybe playing any two cards isn't the best idea.
    LMAO I hope he realizes this now

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by whatsgood5 View Post
    LMAO I hope he realizes this now
    u shut the heck up u stiff, STIFF

alka07
    alka07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

he have much more i think

bettilimbroke999

Thank you!
    Btw he came in 23rd place in Melbourne today. I guess he was just mad lucky.
    WSOP stats

Phil Hellmuth ITM finishes in WSOP 75, braceletes 11
    Gus Hansesn ITM finishes in WSOP 5, bracelets 0

Poker Brat is a jackass but he is a great tournament player

chadodaddio
    chadodaddio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

he'll be back

fedtpels

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    WSOP stats

Phil Hellmuth ITM finishes in WSOP 75, braceletes 11
    Gus Hansesn ITM finishes in WSOP 5, bracelets 0

Poker Brat is a jackass but he is a great tournament player

Thats's some great stats but what's your point here?
    How does Hellmuth's WSOP-bracelets have anything to do with Gus' abilities? Gus took 3 WPT titles (4 million dollars in winnings) - Hellmuth 0 (835,000 dollars, but how is that relevant?
    Hellmuth is no good online as goes for a classic tournament player like Negreanu.

bettilimbroke999

Judgin by the title of this thread Gus is no Durr online either, dont ya have to be good at either cash game or tournament poker to be considered a pro?

Hebodk
    Hebodk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2852

Nice write-up. Gus is a fantastic backgammon player. I'm sure he is handling his business quite well.

Stor respekt til Gus Hansen

fedtpels

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    Judgin by the title of this thread Gus is no Durr online either, dont ya have to be good at either cash game or tournament poker to be considered a pro?
    Judging by your comments in this thread it doesn't seem like you've got a clue.
    Durrrr has major swings as well. Last November Isildur1 took Durrrr for 4-5 million dollars which forced him to play lower stakes to get his bankroll up and running again, which he then did cause he is an extremely skilled player. Those losses occurred in a matter of weeks....WEEKS! Swings goes both ways - none of these guys are in deep trouble at all.

Thank you / Tak

bettilimbroke999

I just busted Gus at some 500/1000 PLO, easy money, heee hawwwww

Dr.Gonzo
    Dr.Gonzo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3192

Don't judge a player because you saw them play aggressively in a tournament (which is the correct style).

The last few times I have watched Hanson play cash games he has played like a nit.

bettilimbroke999

Highstakesdb.com has Gus listed 4th among Full Tilt's biggest losers from Jan 1 2007 til today he is down in that over 3 year period 5.7 million dollars

That's a hell of a long "swing"

Durr in the past year is the sites biggest loser down over 4.6 million dollars (2nd is Gus Hansen down around 4.3 million) on FT which is pretty shockin I always thought he pwned em on FT

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19211

Online poker is unregulated. There's probably some sort of skimming and cheating at most sites. If this can be done without getting caught, then it's going to happen. You see a lot more "action flops" online than you do live, which helps increase the rake for online sites.

Indecent

Quote Originally Posted by BarkingToad View Post
    You see a lot more "action flops" online than you do live, which helps increase the rake for online sites.
    And you've analyzed over a billion hands to make this determination?

First 1234 Last