gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

i don't understand the mcaffrey comment..... he was considered day 2 pick (i would question that), he sat out the bowl game, had a good combine/pro day and was picked in first round......... so if he had played bowl game (and not have catastrophic injury), this wouldn't have happened?

it's the reverse of matt barkley. was seen as potential #1 overall pick. went back to USC for senior season and feel really far in next year's draft.. but surely, a significant % of what nfl scouts didn't like about him did not relate to his senior season...... see matt leinart and jake locker too (locker compounded by volunteering to move to much less lucrative draft)

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11210

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Rarity. You show in bowl games and close out strong it usually ups your stock for the up coming draft. It's a good thing..
    Combine stats separate matter all together in my point view..
    Very few guys up their stock in a meaningless bowl game. Now, we've seen some in the big games but most people, including scouts don't give a shit about the weedeater bowl. There's enough tape on all these guys anyway. If you haven't played well during the season, a bowl game ain't going to save you.

But, there's countless of guys who shot up based on the combine. That is the huge reveal for most teams. If you can't jump, lift, run fast, you are going to be black flagged.

Buckandadime
    Act as if
    Buckandadime's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1273

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Very few guys up their stock in a meaningless bowl game. Now, we've seen some in the big games but most people, including scouts don't give a shit about the weedeater bowl. There's enough tape on all these guys anyway. If you haven't played well during the season, a bowl game ain't going to save you.

But, there's countless of guys who shot up based on the combine. That is the huge reveal for most teams. If you can't jump, lift, run fast, you are going to be black flagged.
    Totally agree Mac but don't you think the GM's take all things into consideration?
    I mean, if a kid has no heart and is only looking out for #1 (not that there is anything wrong with that) don't you think that type of character has something to do with their prospective draft #?
    NFL teams: are they looking for a one time big contract, high profile, college kid that has not proved anything when the chips are down that shits the bed after 2 or are they looking for the "face of the team?"
    How can you be the "go to guy" if you have already shown that you will bail if the price is right??
    "Come on down!"

MiDNiTe
    MiDNiTe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5520

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    i don't understand the mcaffrey comment..... he was considered day 2 pick (i would question that), he sat out the bowl game, had a good combine/pro day and was picked in first round......... so if he had played bowl game (and not have catastrophic injury), this wouldn't have happened?

it's the reverse of matt barkley. was seen as potential #1 overall pick. went back to USC for senior season and feel really far in next year's draft.. but surely, a significant % of what nfl scouts didn't like about him did not relate to his senior season...... see matt leinart and jake locker too (locker compounded by volunteering to move to much less lucrative draft)
    There were post here like if McCaffrey goes first round it will be waste of pick and draft bust, after his good combine some people were saying he was a work out warrior

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Buckandadime View Post
    Totally agree Mac but don't you think the GM's take all things into consideration?
    I mean, if a kid has no heart and is only looking out for #1 (not that there is anything wrong with that) don't you think that type of character has something to do with their prospective draft #?
    NFL teams: are they looking for a one time big contract, high profile, college kid that has not proved anything when the chips are down that shits the bed after 2 or are they looking for the "face of the team?"
    How can you be the "go to guy" if you have already shown that you will bail if the price is right??
    "Come on down!"
    GM's do not give 2 shits about these bowl games. It's just another piece of tape. NO ONE at this level can be questioned about heart. These guys put their lives on the line every time they suit up. You have to have heart just to make it through practice everyday. To get pounded, to run through walls, to get challenged mano o mano, takes a different breed. These players don't owe the universities a thing. They have given much more than what they got in return. Every person should look out for #1 first. "To thine own self be true". Charity always starts at home first. A drowning man cannot help another drowning man. The airlines say it best... "put your mask on first BEFORE assisting small children". You are no good if you're dead or broke.

The tape has already been established on these guys. GMs already know what they've seen. The only thing left for these guys is the combine. Some guys can just show up and run a 4.4 forty and press 30 reps. Most other guys have to work their ass off. I personally saw a guy go from 30" to 36" in his vertical jump months before the draft. That moved him up from projected 5th to 3rd round. Look up draft seeding/slotting and how that affects your pay. We're talking about huge amounts of money that these guys may never see unless they are lucky enough to reup a contract 3/4 years later but most of them will be out of the league by then. A guy sitting in practice learning scripted plays for a meaningless bowl game is killing his future. That's the honest truth.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    There is a simple solution to all of this. If a player opts to sit out a bowl game, just make him pay back his scholarship money that he received for that season. The excuse of preparing for the combine is a bunch of B.S. Guys consistently skip the combines had hold their own combine all of the time now, especially the offensive players like QB', RB's and WR's. Or some will sow up for a limited combine session.
    and by what means are you going to make him pay back his scholarship? What school would be that stupid to even try this? The one school with no recruits. But Of course you would think it's BS preparing for the combine because you nor anyone you know have ever even come close to playing any athletics, least of all preparing for a combine. Sure, you can probably have your own combine if you're Joe Burrow but his teammate Tyler Shelvin or Patrick Queen better not try that shit. Plus when do you expect to have your own special combine? After the damn draft? The NFL combine is in 68 days. These guys have a little over 2 months to prepare themselves to be the biggest baddest, fastest mofos on the planet. 1 position can mean millions of dollars difference. But this means nothing to you because you want them to play so you can adequately throw away your $10 bad beat.

Mac4Lyfe

Which shows what a dumb s***t you are. I did not say every GM did this. But GM's DO this exact thing. They may drop a player from the 1st round to the 2nd or 3rd. It does not mean that the player will not get drafted. It simply means that they may go in lower rounds.
    You will never, ever find a GM that dropped a player because they didn't play in a bowl game. That shit never happened. Guys get dropped for a lot of reasons. That ain't one of them.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11961

You will never, ever find a GM that dropped a player because they didn't play in a bowl game. That shit never happened. Guys get dropped for a lot of reasons. That ain't one of them.
    Well holding out you let down your school program and team mates in final bowl games at the least!! Still better to play then not I think. Chances are you won't get hurt and you will shine if you are a star player ready to draft in the NFL. Get more headlines and props if you deliver in that final bowl game..

I think it's a bad move to sit out in final bowl games when ready for the draft.. Shows weakness of character..

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6518

Well holding out you let down your school program and team mates in final bowl games at the least!! Still better to play then not I think. Chances are you won't get hurt and you will shine if you are a star player ready to draft in the NFL. Get more headlines and props if you deliver in that final bowl game..

I think it's a bad move to sit out in final bowl games when ready for the draft.. Shows weakness of character..
    Jiblets you're entitled to you opinion, but this is complete and utter bullshit. College football is a business first, the games are on the job training for those with pro aspirations. If anything it shows common sense. Nowhere else would anyone risk potential life altering money for what's essentially a fundraiser/party for boosters. You never hear the teammates of those skipping calling them out, questioning their character. Because they'd do the same thing if in that star player's shoes.

Coaches take away scholarships at the drop of a hat if they think they can get a better player, that speaks a whole lot louder to character.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    Jiblets you're entitled to you opinion, but this is complete and utter bullshit. College football is a business first, the games are on the job training for those with pro aspirations. If anything it shows common sense. Nowhere else would anyone risk potential life altering money for what's essentially a fundraiser/party for boosters. You never hear the teammates of those skipping calling them out, questioning their character. Because they'd do the same thing if in that star player's shoes.

Coaches take away scholarships at the drop of a hat if they think they can get a better player, that speaks a whole lot louder to character.
    I'm old school man.. If you choose to play football as your profession or anything else in life then play and do!!!! You let doubts creep in you probably won't make it in the big leagues..

You have a chance to play in a bowl game and represent your school, teammates and coaches you play...

Alot of these kids were playing rain mud ball if they grew up strong. Mental toughness is key in life especially in contact sports!!! Can't be afraid of injuries in ONE FINAL GAME... Biiiitch move if you do..

cmatth1326
    cmatth1326's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7538

Jaylen Johnson - Utah

Husker36
    Husker36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 407

Here is a great question I heard someone ask on a radio show. If you were a GM would you draft a player who did not participate in a game because he was afraid that he may get hurt and hurt his career financially? I sure as hell would not. What happens when he goes into a contract year? Look at all of the players who dog it just to make sure they will be healthy when their contract negotiations roll around. There are way too many pussy's playing in the NFL right now. Why draft players who have already proven that they are afraid of getting injured.
    I would guess that MOST GMs would tell these kids NOT to play. They are ASSESTS to the GMs. If they get hurt then they are worthless.

Wanna fix this issue? Expand the playoffs. Get rid of these meaningless bowl games!
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave Husker36 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Husker36
    Husker36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 407

I think it's important to find a team where more than 1 player is sitting out.
    Last year Michigan had 4 guys sit out..... and Florida routed them 41-15. The easiest bowl pick of last year.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by Husker36 View Post
    I think it's important to find a team where more than 1 player is sitting out.
    Last year Michigan had 4 guys sit out..... and Florida routed them 41-15. The easiest bowl pick of last year.
    Looks like Uga has multiple o-lineman. I think I read some fsu kids sitting.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Buckandadime View Post
    "Come on down!"
    I totally disagree w this sentiment. The way the punk ass ncaa uses these kids I think you way off calling them selfish or questioning their character cause they don’t wanna risk themselves for one last bs shitfukk.com money grab bowl game.

If I was the osu kid they suspended for no reason my ass woulda told them to piss off when they reinstated me.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

It’s arguably better for the program to have a kid get drafted in the first two days than risk getting injured in a meaningless bowl game
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave daneblazer 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

I'm old school man.. If you choose to play football as your profession or anything else in life then play and do!!!! You let doubts creep in you probably won't make it in the big leagues..

You have a chance to play in a bowl game and represent your school, teammates and coaches you play...

Alot of these kids were playing rain mud ball if they grew up strong. Mental toughness is key in life especially in contact sports!!! Can't be afraid of injuries in ONE FINAL GAME... Biiiitch move if you do..
    ur only saying that cuz u have nothing invested why make it this far and take a risk and get injured you could potentially lose millions and maybe even career its an easy decision. bosa got hurt in the 3rd game for ohio state and said he wasnt coming back he took no crap for it drafted 2nd overall and we are bitching about guys not playing in their last meaningless game. if a guy who's projected to go in first 2 rounds plays and gets injured everybody would be saying what an idiot he was for suiting up, its happened over the years and guys have gotten injured in bowl game think I remember a michigan guy not many yrs back yea jake butt projected 2nd rounder tore his acl and got drafted in 5th round his career so far he's only caught 8 catches in 2 yrs and he's been on injured reserve since the start of the season due to complications from that same acl injury from the bowl game from a non-contact drill in practice, he effed up playing the bowl game.
    Last edited by jtoler; 12-19-19 at 12:26 PM.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

The minimum nfl salary is about 500k a year. Most of you won’t gross that in your lifetimes.

Last edited by daneblazer; 12-19-19 at 12:36 PM.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    The minimum nfl salary is about 500k a year. Most of you won’t gross that in your lifetimes.

And unfortunately, most of these guys will be out of the league in 3 years or less. It's very hard to live your entire life on that.

Mac4Lyfe

I just looked up last years draft and the difference in guarantee money, the ONLY money that matters, is huge fro 1 to 10 and from 10 to 32. We're talking millions of dollars. Think how much money Tua lost? He was most likely #1, now who knows. Then if you are out of the first round, the money is really awful with less guarantees.

I use to hire petroleum engineers that make more than these guys. The hell with the bowl game.

gojetsgomoxies

i think the whole idea is that the first 20 bowl games (at least) are essentially meaningless. like an exhibition game..... think of the pro bowl and some of the modified rules they use there (like blitzing restrictions).......

gojetsgomoxies

I just looked up last years draft and the difference in guarantee money, the ONLY money that matters, is huge fro 1 to 10 and from 10 to 32. We're talking millions of dollars. Think how much money Tua lost? He was most likely #1, now who knows. Then if you are out of the first round, the money is really awful with less guarantees. I use to hire petroleum engineers that make more than these guys. The hell with the bowl game.
    i think most guys make their $$$$$ from the 2nd contract now. (and 3rd/4th contract obviously)........

locker from washington was really shocking to voluntarily take a 70% pay-cut changing years. and he fell from #1 overall on alot of mock drafts too, but i think that's essentially meaningless. he would have fallen with combines anyway. but i think jake is very happy living in his small hometown near the canadian border.

gojetsgomoxies

I just looked up last years draft and the difference in guarantee money, the ONLY money that matters, is huge fro 1 to 10 and from 10 to 32. We're talking millions of dollars. Think how much money Tua lost? He was most likely #1, now who knows. Then if you are out of the first round, the money is really awful with less guarantees. .
    Mac, i don't want to out you.. but i'm curious what position you played at florida? you could just describe the unit if you want

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    ur only saying that cuz u have nothing invested why make it this far and take a risk and get injured you could potentially lose millions and maybe even career its an easy decision. bosa got hurt in the 3rd game for ohio state and said he wasnt coming back he took no crap for it drafted 2nd overall and we are bitching about guys not playing in their last meaningless game. if a guy who's projected to go in first 2 rounds plays and gets injured everybody would be saying what an idiot he was for suiting up, its happened over the years and guys have gotten injured in bowl game think I remember a michigan guy not many yrs back yea jake butt projected 2nd rounder tore his acl and got drafted in 5th round his career so far he's only caught 8 catches in 2 yrs and he's been on injured reserve since the start of the season due to complications from that same acl injury from the bowl game from a non-contact drill in practice, he effed up playing the bowl game.

You could have College love and trophies in the Halls of the College you represented forever.. It's not always about money.. Trust in yourself and God and you'll be fine!!!

Support your teammates and coaches and go out and play your ass off and win that bowl game.. It will only up your stock!!!

If you're too safe in life you will miss out and injuries will bite you right around the corner cause it's in your mind. Playing it safe is for losers..

Last edited by JIBBBY; 12-19-19 at 05:59 PM.

2daBank

Jibbers in the past my attitude would been the same and I loved playing sports anyways so doubt I could do it.

But the thing is the ncaa a fukkin joke and there no chance in hell I would begrudge any kid from choosing not to participate in helping those asshats get yet another insane tv contract for these bowl games while bending over backwards to Fukk the athletes at every turn., No damn chance. Sometimes principles are as important. Maybe if the ncaa ever acted right I’d go back to the old school way of thinking.

vivaporto
    vivaporto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    My sports betting winnings for the last 3 years is sitting at $490k....if go up 10k more before new year, i would hit 500k. And I still have my 60k/year job.

That is in euros. If you convert to $, i am already up over 500k.

vivaporto

Quote Originally Posted by cmatth1326 View Post
    Jaylen Johnson - Utah
    source?

vivaporto

Quote Originally Posted by funnyb25 View Post
    5. Washington OT Trey Adams
    So i looked up this guy and he played zero games this year. since 2015, he played only 3 games. so doesn't affect the line. also how is he getting drafted?

vivaporto

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Georgia's Andrew Thomas and Isaiah Wilson skipping the Sugar Bowl... So both starting tackles out for the Bulldogs' vaunted offensive line.
    Am i missing something. these two guys didn't play a single game this season.

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like college football reference is terrible for looking up players/stats...especially if they are offensive line men.
    Last edited by vivaporto; 12-20-19 at 08:11 AM.

ElJefe305
    ElJefe305's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 850

Linebacker Michael Pinckney makes it 4 Miami starters sitting out - 3 on defense.

Also just for those who don't know Miami is already missing offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson and starting running back Deejay Dallas. There is a strong possibility Tate Martell will see some reps and may even start the bowl game.

vivaporto

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe305 View Post
    Linebacker Michael Pinckney makes it 4 Miami starters sitting out - 3 on defense.

Also just for those who don't know Miami is already missing offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson and starting running back Deejay Dallas. There is a strong possibility Tate Martell will see some reps and may even start the bowl game.
    The thing is that miami already played with some of these missing players. dallas has been out last two games.

The main missing in this game because of NFL draft is louisiana tech Robertson....this guy is their best player and the only NFL caliber player. He is sitting out because of nfl draft. L tech defense overall is porus and without robertson its going to be even worse. If miami played another team it would have been interesting fade but here its a pass for me.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by vivaporto View Post
    The thing is that miami already played with some of these missing players. dallas has been out last two games.

The main missing in this game because of NFL draft is louisiana tech Robertson....this guy is their best player and the only NFL caliber player. He is sitting out because of nfl draft. L tech defense overall is porus and without robertson its going to be even worse. If miami played another team it would have been interesting fade but here its a pass for me.
    no more porous than fiu's its the U baby they dont get up for small names

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273659

Quote Originally Posted by cmatth1326 View Post
    Jaylen Johnson - Utah

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2019/...l-for-the-utes
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: vivaporto

vivaporto

So what is the updated and confirmed list as of today. so far the teams with players sitting out (washington and ucf won comfortably and covered easily)

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I don’t blame these kids for skipping the games. If it were me, I’d absolutely play. But, I couldn’t give a shit about money. Most of the fcks only have football to rely on. If I had a degree, then I’d be fine. I wouldn’t worry about my average 3 year career in the NFL, and the whooping 1-3 million dollars that I took home after paying everyone off. I’d piss that away in a couple years anyway, so gotta have something to fall back on regardless.

I mean if I’m playing in the beef brisket bowl then I probably wouldn’t give a shit if I were a 1st round pick. But, if I’m in the playoffs, or Rose Bowl or something, then fck yeah I’m playing. I’m playing regardless because I’m invincible and just wanna hit people. Nowadays these kids have handlers from day one, and all they want is money.

First 12345 Last