Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Quote Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
    Judging the best QB of all time by a total passing yards is like saying the best car ever made is a Toyota Corolla. Sure, if total miles is the criteria, then yes. Similarly, if you want to use total yards as the measuring stick, Brees rates super high. It really just depends on what people consider to be the most important stat. There really isn't a right or wrong answer. It's just what you hold the most important in judging.

Most discussions I hear rank Super Bowl rings MUCH higher than passing yards with regards to GOAT. I suppose if games were won by total yards, Brees would make the discussion but as long as we decide who won the game by points on the scoreboard, guys like Brady, Montana, Bradshaw and Elway will be though of in higher regard.

Brees has a Super Bowl.

Marino has zero & ppl still rank him as one of best ever.

There's been thousands of NFL QB's and plenty with great offensive talent & plenty with lousy defenses, so why havent all of those players had the same success?

Brees has also proven he's not a system.QB & can dominate on more than one team.

That's something we can't say about other top QB's who have been on only one team.

He's also known as one of if not the most accurate passer ever, even by his peers.

cwnotorious
    cwnotorious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10757

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    He's only 200 yards away.

Should break it next week.

Funny some guys overlook him about to be the NFL's all time passing leader.

If it's so easy, why haven't the hundreds or thousands of other QB's done it?

The TD record will is next.
    Hey hman, if u rank everything based purely on total career stats then LeBron will be the greatest of all time and it wouldn't even be close. Same rules apply here - stats don't tell the complete story

cwnotorious

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Hey my break every single passing record before he retires then what do you think?
    Hey jj, same as LeBron but yet where do u rank him?

Hman

Quote Originally Posted by cwnotorious View Post
    Hey hman, if u rank everything based purely on total career stats then LeBron will be the greatest of all time and it wouldn't even be close. Same rules apply here - stats don't tell the complete story
    Hey jj, same as LeBron but yet where do u rank him?

Can't begin to compare basketball with football or any other sport.

In basketball, a superstar can carry a team & put them on his shoulder far more than other sports.

In football, baseball, hockey, and soccer, a superstar still needs a lot of help around him.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Hey my break every single passing record before he retires then what do you think?
    That the nfl sucks to dr the rules so much a pint size pussy like this punk can hold all the records. I miss the days when they let qbs get hit and corners could were allowed to play d on wrs, brees wouldn’t hold any record except maybe trips to hospital in those days. Product of a era where anyone can light it up.
    Points Awarded:

Hman gave 2daBank 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

cwnotorious

Can't begin to compare basketball with football or any other sport.

In basketball, a superstar can carry a team & put them on his shoulder far more than other sports.

In football, baseball, hockey, and soccer, a superstar still needs a lot of help around him.
    I would say the qb pos can be compared to hoops as a qb can also carry a team, however my point was total stats in general and how they directly relate to all time rankings. Here u are using stats to influence ranking but yet with LeBron the same ppl will just make other excuses because they don't like the guy
    Points Awarded:

Hman gave cwnotorious 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hman

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    That the nfl sucks to dr the rules so much a pint size pussy like this punk can hold all the records. I miss the days when they let qbs get hit and corners could were allowed to play d on wrs, brees wouldn’t hold any record except maybe trips to hospital in those days. Product of a era where anyone can light it up.

But bank most of Brees' career has been before these ridiculous rules lately.

Also pint-sized John Stockton owns the NBA's all-time assists AND steals records (best feat ever in sports in my opinion)

So does size really matter? (LoL)

All of this is just fun debate by the way.
    Last edited by Hman; 10-02-18 at 08:24 AM.

Hman

I would say the qb pos can be compared to hoops as a qb can also carry a team, however my point was total stats in general and how they directly relate to all time rankings. Here u are using stats to influence ranking but yet with LeBron the same ppl will just make other excuses because they don't like the guy

Ehhhh i guess we can agree to disagree.

In most cases stats do tell the tale.

Great players put up great career numbers.

Just take a look at the top of the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL record lists.

You going to tell me it's not all great players atop those lists???

As for James, ppl dont argue that LeBron isnt great.

They argue he's not better than Michael.

The only player i can truly question the stat issue is Russell Westbrook.

Most will say he's just a stat machine.

But in all honestly we should ask ourselves, why isnt everyone else averaging a triple double for full seasons?

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19480

Worthy of debate
    #1 in completions and will never be broken
    #1 in passing yards after next week. He will be #1 for at least 10 more years.
    Super Bowl ring, great work ethic, good role model
    Will be top 3 in passing touchdowns by the end of the year.
    If you're not an AFC South rival and you hate him, something is wrong with you

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It’s amazing we have been talking about this guy in the discussion

He still looks pretty fit to play few more years

cwnotorious

Ehhhh i guess we can agree to disagree.

In most cases stats do tell the tale.

Great players put up great career numbers.

Just take a look at the top of the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL record lists.

You going to tell me it's not all great players atop those lists???

As for James, ppl dont argue that LeBron isnt great.

They argue he's not better than Michael.

The only player i can truly question the stat issue is Russell Westbrook.

Most will say he's just a stat machine.

But in all honestly we should ask ourselves, why isnt everyone else averaging a triple double for full seasons?
    Yes and I for 1 will not argue with anyone about goat, I mean I think u can add LeBron to the conversation of goat but he will never surpass MJ imo. Stats do have an enormous impact on telling the story however they are not the end all be all. As for my opinion on drew brees - I would say he is def a top 15 qb and you have to look at his work ethic as well, wasn't givin as many raw tools to work with like a Rogers or favre but he has put the work in.

2daBank

But bank most of Brees' career has been before these ridiculous rules lately.

Also pint-sized John Stockton owns the NBA's all-time assists AND steals records (best feat ever in sports in my opinion)

So does size really matter? (LoL)

All of this is just fun debate by the way.
    Obviously I’m going to the extreme the other direction just cause I feel like it beyond crazy to call brees one of the best ever, he clearly a excellent player and certainly one of top qbs of this generation without a doubt.

I just feel like using numbers to back any debate in the nfl is a exercise in futility as accumulating numbers is way easier these days than it was even back in the 90s. While yes the rules continue slanting more and more to the offense id say brees whole career been during the golden passing age, it been at least a decade since corners were allowed to be physical or since wrs paid a price for going across the middle. What has gotten more extreme is you barely allowed to even tackle the qb now!! We had 5 400+ yard passers last week and half the league threw for 300+!!!

I’ve always thought super bowls were a terrible measuring stick. Not sure how anyone could say elway isn’t one of the best ever and if shanny and a run game didn’t show up in Denver toward end of his career he could easily been shut out from ever getting a ring. The one brees has the saints defense played excellent during that run, Eli not even top 10 in his era and he has 2 rings, biggest proof of all SB’s ain’t all on the qb, granted now days you have to have a qb playing great fb during playoffs to win. Foles just won a sb and think we can all agree that was no more than him getting hot at the right time!! Don’t think anyone old enough to have watched Marino would leave him off a list of the greatest qbs and he has no ring, eye test alone nobody had more pure arm talent than him..

I guess for me judging these things is way more eye test than anything. I think we can see and notice who the most talented throwers of the football are. These days clearly that isn’t the most important thing when it comes to winning as the game has “evolved” (gotten worse imo) being accurate and smart presnap are the qualities that allow guys like brees to put up amazing numbers. Hell Montana was certainly a right place right time guy in a sense, landed with a offensive genius and had the smarts to master a offense that was cutting edge and impossible to stop during that time..

Guess all that saying is while I’ll never argue brees isn’t one of the best in this era cause he is, far as all timers go I just can’t see him any better than 10-15th range (havnt put the time into it to really peg down a number, guessing that about where he would end up on my list, prob closer to 15th which is obviously still impressive as hell!).. he easily top 5 of the last 15 years which pretty high praise I think.
    Points Awarded:

cwnotorious gave 2daBank 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Hman

Ok guys.

Let's look at it from this perspective.

All-Time Rushing Leaders
    Emmitt Smith
    Walter Payton
    Barry Sanders

Top 3 all top 5-10 greatest ever without a doubt.

All Time Receiving Leaders
    Jerry Rice
    Tony Gonzalez
    Larry Fitzgerald

All top 5-10 ever right?

All-Time Sacks Leaders
    Bruce Smith
    Reggie White
    Kebin Greene

All top 5-10 ever no question.

Now...

All time passing leaders
    Dtew Brees (in a week or two)
    Peyton Manning
    Brett Favre

All time TD passes
    Peyton Manning
    Brett Favre
    Drew Brees

So guys all of those players atop those records-lists are without a doubt some of top ever & their stats match their greatness

How can it be that the only player that it doesn't apply to us Brees?

Cmon fellas

Again this is fun debate i don't consider it arguing

Hman

Obviously I’m going to the extreme the other direction just cause I feel like it beyond crazy to call brees one of the best ever, he clearly a excellent player and certainly one of top qbs of this generation without a doubt.

I just feel like using numbers to back any debate in the nfl is a exercise in futility as accumulating numbers is way easier these days than it was even back in the 90s. While yes the rules continue slanting more and more to the offense id say brees whole career been during the golden passing age, it been at least a decade since corners were allowed to be physical or since wrs paid a price for going across the middle. What has gotten more extreme is you barely allowed to even tackle the qb now!! We had 5 400+ yard passers last week and half the league threw for 300+!!!

I’ve always thought super bowls were a terrible measuring stick. Not sure how anyone could say elway isn’t one of the best ever and if shanny and a run game didn’t show up in Denver toward end of his career he could easily been shut out from ever getting a ring. The one brees has the saints defense played excellent during that run, Eli not even top 10 in his era and he has 2 rings, biggest proof of all SB’s ain’t all on the qb, granted now days you have to have a qb playing great fb during playoffs to win. Foles just won a sb and think we can all agree that was no more than him getting hot at the right time!! Don’t think anyone old enough to have watched Marino would leave him off a list of the greatest qbs and he has no ring, eye test alone nobody had more pure arm talent than him..

I guess for me judging these things is way more eye test than anything. I think we can see and notice who the most talented throwers of the football are. These days clearly that isn’t the most important thing when it comes to winning as the game has “evolved” (gotten worse imo) being accurate and smart presnap are the qualities that allow guys like brees to put up amazing numbers. Hell Montana was certainly a right place right time guy in a sense, landed with a offensive genius and had the smarts to master a offense that was cutting edge and impossible to stop during that time..

Guess all that saying is while I’ll never argue brees isn’t one of the best in this era cause he is, far as all timers go I just can’t see him any better than 10-15th range (havnt put the time into it to really peg down a number, guessing that about where he would end up on my list, prob closer to 15th which is obviously still impressive as hell!).. he easily top 5 of the last 15 years which pretty high praise I think.

I respect your opinion :grrr:

2daBank

I’d question fitz being a all timer. Excellent wr no question but a guy I think the soft rules helped a ton as he lived on crossing routes many years., now when rice played it took a real man to go across middle like he did!!

Hman

Bank are the Emojis working for you right now? I tried to hat tip you and thumbs up but it won't show up for some reason on my end.

2daBank

Bank are the Emojis working for you right now? I tried to hat tip you and thumbs up but it won't show up for some reason on my end.
    I mostly do mobile app on phone and I’ve never been able to use on that. I can make a smile face and that shows up but nothing else, lol

Hman

I mostly do mobile app on phone and I’ve never been able to use on that. I can make a smile face and that shows up but nothing else, lol

LoL gotcha

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Ok guys.

Let's look at it from this perspective.

All-Time Rushing Leaders
    Emmitt Smith
    Walter Payton
    Barry Sanders

Top 3 all top 5-10 greatest ever without a doubt.

All Time Receiving Leaders
    Jerry Rice
    Tony Gonzalez
    Larry Fitzgerald

All top 5-10 ever right?

All-Time Sacks Leaders
    Bruce Smith
    Reggie White
    Kebin Greene

All top 5-10 ever no question.

Now...

All time passing leaders
    Dtew Brees (in a week or two)
    Peyton Manning
    Brett Favre

All time TD passes
    Peyton Manning
    Brett Favre
    Drew Brees

So guys all of those players atop those records-lists are without a doubt some of top ever & their stats match their greatness

How can it be that the only player that it doesn't apply to us Brees?

Cmon fellas

Again this is fun debate i don't consider it arguing
    Because Brees is a product of Payton’s offense. He is a very good qb, not an all time great. He has mastered the offense spoon fed to him over many years, nothing more.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

I wonder how big Brees would have been if he played his prime at
    the expansion Tampa Bay Buccaneers like Vinny Testaverde.
    Or Emmett Smith with an average offensive line instead of the best ever.
    Football is a team sport.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3521

Best ever,ofcourse not,cant always just base it on stats alone.That would be like saying Karl Malone was a top 3 talent of all time because he has the second most points in NBA History.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Best ever,ofcourse not,cant always just base it on stats alone.That would be like saying Karl Malone was a top 3 talent of all time because he has the second most points in NBA History.
    I’d put discount double bitch way ahead of him and prob farve too. So brees wouldn’t even be best packers qb!

Hman

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Because Brees is a product of Payton’s offense. He is a very good qb, not an all time great. He has mastered the offense spoon fed to him over many years, nothing more.

You could say that legitimately about all other QB's.

Did you miss the part about Brees and Manning being one of the very few who has excelled on different teams?

Have we seen Brady, Rodgers, or most others go from one team to another & have the same success like we have Brees & Manning?

One can speculate all they want and say "Brady & Rodgers would dominate on other teams too" but no proof has been given.

packerd_00

I’d put discount double bitch way ahead of him and prob farve too. So brees wouldn’t even be best packers qb!
    No your right their,I dont reckon if this was back in the 90's with Holmgren,hed have been able to put up with the battering Favre did and continue to get back up game in game out and continiously play uninterrupted for years.

His body would have given out.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    No your right their,I reckon if this was back in the 90's with Holmgren,hed have been able to put up with the battering Favre did and continue to get back up game in game out.
    Not a chance. They protect brees like no other, I’ve seen more redic roughing the passer calls against him than anyone else over the years.

packerd_00

Not a chance. They protect brees like no other, I’ve seen more redic roughing the passer calls against him than anyone else over the years.
    Oh christ yeah,these younger guys dont know their born.Brady and Brees have been wrapped in cotton wool for a good long time.I find it hard to judge their talents to the legends from the 90's and 80's.

Hman

I'm definitely a proponent of it being tougher in the 80's and 90's.

But more so in the NBA.

2daBank

I'm definitely a proponent of it being tougher in the 80's and 90's.

But more so in the NBA.
    Both leagues for real. I hate the direction both sports have went, I like rugged physical sports which neither is any longer. Used to be you paid a price to go over the middle and catch a slant pass, now days it just free yards w a chance to run all day as guys attempt to tackle within the rules which becoming increasingly difficult!! Also used to be if you wanted to take it to the hole like Jordan you were gonna take a beating, now it nothing but 3 pointers and layup lines!!

Hman

Both leagues for real. I hate the direction both sports have went, I like rugged physical sports which neither is any longer. Used to be you paid a price to go over the middle and catch a slant pass, now days it just free yards w a chance to run all day as guys attempt to tackle within the rules which becoming increasingly difficult!! Also used to be if you wanted to take it to the hole like Jordan you were gonna take a beating, now it nothing but 3 pointers and layup lines!!

Can you imagine the look on guys like LeBron & Durant's faces when they drove the lane back then & their shots either got swatted by true centers, or defenders who would put them on the floor?

Players i dont even need to name because you guys know.

2daBank

Can you imagine the look on guys like LeBron & Durant's faces when they drove the lane back then & their shots either got swatted by true centers, or defenders who would put them on the canvas?

Players i dont even need to name because you guys know.
    Biggest reason I give no validity to argument that GS best team ever. Clearly the talent they have assembled on that roster is second to none, I just don’t buy for a minute that cream puff ass team could have handled playing in the 90s!!

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

The best ever? No way. I can see arguments for top 5 or top 10, but not numero uno.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

You could say that legitimately about all other QB's.

Did you miss the part about Brees and Manning being one of the very few who has excelled on different teams?

Have we seen Brady, Rodgers, or most others go from one team to another & have the same success like we have Brees & Manning?

One can speculate all they want and say "Brady & Rodgers would dominate on other teams too" but no proof has been given.
    True about Manning but Brees was really nothing special in SD aside from like 2004. He took off under Payton in No. I am quite confident a Brady or Rogers would excel anywhere. Unfortunately we are unlikely to see either guy try before they are 50.

There is really no right side in this debate. I understand your points. Just subjective.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Every state besides Superbowl wins he is the best

First 12