Peli Mannning
    Peli Mannning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Like I always say....it is what it is.
    Ya, and that's the stupidest, overused, still trendy ( I guess) quote people have been saying for the last 10 or so years. Move along...

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by Peli Mannning View Post
    Ya, and that's the stupidest, overused, still trendy ( I guess) quote people have been saying for the last 10 or so years. Move along...
    Yeah, but see....I started it. So that kinda makes it super cool.

And see you're a ghost. You are what you are.

See what I did there??

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

The Dez catch isn't the Calvin Johnson rule, Dez completed the catch with a football move, CJ didn't.

boomer62
    boomer62's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Yeah, but see....I started it. So that kinda makes it super cool.

And see you're a ghost. You are what you are.

See what I did there??
    Must be a tough day for you, so FUKING close. You know I hate the cowboys. I took my emotions out of it yesterday and took Dallas and the over. I thought Dallas was a bad match up for GB, because of the balance on offense and the running game. That catch cost me the over. I think it was a catch and that rule has to go.
    So hard to lose that way. Just think, you could have been in Seattle this weekend.
    AND WTF is Gov. Christie doing hanging with Jerry??????
    Dont want to rub salt on your wounds but may be quite awhile before you get back there. Bet you drank pretty heavy last night! Did you take out the Bombay?

yankees10
    yankees10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6826

Should've been out of challenges I guess yall think the catch in the first half was complete when it clearly bounced would've been out of challenges at this point so basically they was screwed twice in the same game smh

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

First, the rule was applied correctly. Read the rule and watch the tape replay. There is a reason why you idiots are not replay officials. Next, the reason why you lost is simple. You wagered on the losing team. Grow up. Get used to it. No one forces you to wager (if you really do, and in here that is very questionable). You do it yourself, so you have no one to blame but yourself if you lose. Finally, there is absolutely no excuse for Dallas. They let a crippled QB who could not move defeat them. Dallas had a terrible game plan. It was that simple. Dallas got what it deserved.

slacker00

Quote the rule book, BigdaddyQH. I've laid it out as simple as I can. 1 yard stretch for the end zone is a football move.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21725

Bottom line is that it's a judgment call, so whether the rule was applied correctly in this case is a judgment. Personally, my judgment is that it was not applied correctly. To me, he secured the catch and then took 3 steps and then a stretchout, all covering more than 5 yards. IMO the cumulative of that is a football move that is an act common to the game and was not all part of the act of catching the pass.

But the fact is that "football move" and "act common to the game" and "act of catching the pass" is not further defined anywhere, so it is subject to personal judgment.

yankees10
    yankees10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6826

They wasn't gonna beat the packers and the refs no matter what kind of gameplan they had lol

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Bottom line is that it's a judgment call, so whether the rule was applied correctly in this case is a judgment. Personally, my judgment is that it was not applied correctly. To me, he secured the catch and then took 3 steps and then a stretchout, all covering more than 5 yards. IMO the cumulative of that is a football move that is an act common to the game and was not all part of the act of catching the pass.

But the fact is that "football move" and "act common to the game" and "act of catching the pass" is not further defined anywhere, so it is subject to personal judgment.
    Nothing defines "football move" better than stretching out the football towards the goal line for a touchdown.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by boomer62 View Post
    Must be a tough day for you, so FUKING close. You know I hate the cowboys. I took my emotions out of it yesterday and took Dallas and the over. I thought Dallas was a bad match up for GB, because of the balance on offense and the running game. That catch cost me the over. I think it was a catch and that rule has to go.
    So hard to lose that way. Just think, you could have been in Seattle this weekend.
    AND WTF is Gov. Christie doing hanging with Jerry??????
    Dont want to rub salt on your wounds but may be quite awhile before you get back there. Bet you drank pretty heavy last night! Did you take out the Bombay?
    It was disappointing, but 31 teams end up being disappointed in the end. It was a lot of fun to be a Cowboy fan this year.

I actually think that the Cowboys are set to be good for awhile now. It all starts with the offensive line, and ours is one of the youngest in the league. Looks like Jerry will be adding some defensive players this offseason, which is certainly a need.

For those who say will he be able to resign both Dez and Demarco...I ask you this. Can you name one player the Cowboys ever really wanted to keep that Jerry didn't make it happen? No. You can't.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

boomer62
    boomer62's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    First, the rule was applied correctly. Read the rule and watch the tape replay. There is a reason why you idiots are not replay officials. Next, the reason why you lost is simple. You wagered on the losing team. Grow up. Get used to it. No one forces you to wager (if you really do, and in here that is very questionable). You do it yourself, so you have no one to blame but yourself if you lose. Finally, there is absolutely no excuse for Dallas. They let a crippled QB who could not move defeat them. Dallas had a terrible game plan. It was that simple. Dallas got what it deserved.
    Dont know what you were watching, but it is the other way around. Dallas had a great game plan. Garret made a mistake at end of first half and was a 6 point swing. Didn't like the way McCarthy called the game. I know Rogers was hurting but he ran way too much and they didn't play up tempo at all. They did first series and scored and after that played into Dallas's hands. AND BTW, Dallas still covered. I hate the Cowboys but am unbiased and the rule was right but that was a CATCH! Rule needs to be changed

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Nothing defines "football move" better than stretching out the football towards the goal line for a touchdown.
    I would think so. Apparently though (at least that was the post-game explanation), the ref didn't think he had made an attempt to stretch it out to score. To my eye, it seemed obvious that he did. But this is a question of judging intent, and that is always somewhat subjective.

slacker00

Dez got robbed. He looks like a guy that just got his car jacked, utter disbelief.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Its the mutton chops that did him in.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    Its the mutton chops that did him in.
    Naw man, that's call style.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Naw man, that's call style.
    I know thats what I mean. The refs thought Dez was stylin on em.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

The "rules experts" on SBR know more than the official rules experts that make the rules .

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by meader99 View Post
    The "rules experts" on SBR know more than the official rules experts that make the rules .

Good one, "packerboy"

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Good one, "packerboy"
    It's you that apparently cant understand that this has been an incomplete pass in the NFL for the last 5 years. You want to change it because of the magnitude of the game? Do you not understand the system in place and what the process of the catch throughout means? VP of officiating says incomplete pass, yet the SBR gurus can't comprehend.

slacker00

It's you that apparently cant understand that this has been an incomplete pass in the NFL for the last 5 years. You want to change it because of the magnitude of the game? Do you not understand the system in place and what the process of the catch throughout means? VP of officiating says incomplete pass, yet the SBR gurus can't comprehend.
    You have offered no argument except "ref says". There's no discussion happening here except:

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3581

Which could have sent the game into overtime. It's not at all clear how the game plays out if this is a catch.
    Or it might not have,wouldve could've should've.

Double Bogey
    Double Bogey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1472

He did not have control of his body before falling to the ground, so he had to hold on to the ball through the fall. This has been a clear cut rule for a while. You guys are trying to claim multiple steps and a football move, but the only move was falling. It's not a football move to lean a certain way as you fall.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Or it might not have,wouldve could've should've.
    Total goes over, no question about that.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by Double Bogey View Post
    He did not have control of his body before falling to the ground, so he had to hold on to the ball through the fall. This has been a clear cut rule for a while. You guys are trying to claim multiple steps and a football move, but the only move was falling. It's not a football move to lean a certain way as you fall.
    At least you're making an argument, good job. I'm claiming football move with the stretch, if you say no, fine.

kevinohara44
    kevinohara44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 117

I'm not sure which way "That Call" should'a went but I've been betting football for like 30 years now and I've never seen the Officals?? so much a part of the game,,,It is hard enuf trying to pick against "The Line",but there is no way to figure out the striped team,,,There is sooo much money being bet now {They could bail-out third world countries with what's bet on the super bowl} that no way would they let these games go without knowing the outcome in advance and yet I'm there chucking with all the rest,,It is what it isn't,,,Go Pat's,,,O'ya and the over too,,

BriGuy
    BriGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4225

Quote Originally Posted by Double Bogey View Post
    Either guys forget, or it's just because this was a more important play, but this has been consistently called incomplete since they put the stupid rule in place.
    That reminds me of the tuck rule way back in January, 2002. It was called consistently prior to the famous Tom Brady play but no one paid attention and no one cared because it was never seen in such an important moment in a game of such magnitude.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

What do you mean by "this"? Every play is different. I don't think "this", or anything close to it, has ever happened. And no, the Calvin Johnson play is not analogous.

The league/officials almost always back themselves up after the game. Unless it's patently the wrong rule. And they could do so here because it's a judgment call. Basically it's a judgment call and that was our judgment. So we're right. It's perfectly appropriate to disagree with that judgment. And I do.

BriGuy

How does it feel to believe something when just about every single expert on the matter disagrees with you? I always wondered.

But ya.... you and all the internet jabronis are right, and the experts and paid professionals are wrong.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
    That reminds me of the tuck rule way back in January, 2002. It was called consistently prior to the famous Tom Brady play but no one paid attention and no one cared because it was never seen in such an important moment in a game of such magnitude.
    People in this thread don't understand the Dez catch, they think it's the CJ rule. Dez made a football move, CJ didn't.

The sticking point with the Dez catch is whether or not he was really stretching for the end zone or just falling down.

BriGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kevinohara44 View Post
    I'm not sure which way "That Call" should'a went but I've been betting football for like 30 years now and I've never seen the Officals?? so much a part of the game,,
    People say that every year. The game is still the same and if you don't think there were been close calls 20, 30, 40 years ago that impacted games, you don't know your history.

The difference is today's ESPN/social media/talk radio "create debate" news cycle where everyone has an opinion and everyone is shouting everyone else down to be heard.

If this exact same play took place in 1981 (assuming the rule was the same as today and there was instant replay), the play literally gets maybe 20 seconds of coverage in the post-game show and 5 seconds on the evening news and then it is forgotten about. It doesn't get non-stop, 24/7 news coverage, talk radio, internet, twitter, message board, etc, arguments.
    Last edited by BriGuy; 01-12-15 at 01:09 PM.

BriGuy

People in this thread don't understand the Dez catch
    You're probably right, but I bet guys like Blandino and Pereira and Steratore (and the list goes on and on) understand the rules pretty well, and they all disagree with you.

I understand the rules as well as any amateur and I am happy to say I agree with the experts.

Jeffie
    Jeffie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1163

Im glad packers won being i hate the Cowboys. But anyone who said that wasn't a catch should either get there eyes checked, or shoot themselves in the head for being so stupid.

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11878

Big Daddy, let me get a hit of what you are smoking. Dallas was getting points. If you bet Dallas you win. guy is a jerk. lol lol lol

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
    How does it feel to believe something when just about every single expert on the matter disagrees with you? I always wondered.

But ya.... you and all the internet jabronis are right, and the experts and paid professionals are wrong.
    The experts are wrong every week. The NFL offers "corrections" all the time. What are you talking about?

First ... 23456 Last