Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

A Few Comments On New NBA Commish Silver

Could this guy be any less telegenic? He's straight out of Central Casting, if you're looking for a sniveling, pencil-necked, duplicitous, milquetoast corporate coward. I thought Stern was hard to swallow. This guy makes Bettman seem like "The Most Interesting Man In The World". Wow!

It will be interesting to see how he handles his first crisis. Pretty simple to me. Demand that Sterling immediately answer under oath whether the racist comments are his. Sterling's instinct will be to stall or lie or say "not that I can remember". Silver cannot allow him to stall. If Sterling can't remember, the Commish can contend that's he's in failing health and not fit to own a franchise. If he lies, and it's proven wrong, he's dead to rights. If he admits his discretion, pull his franchise under the premise that's he's detrimental to the best interests of the league. Sterling has got to go, plain and simple!!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Suspend him

Then make him pay fines

Eejit
    Eejit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5943

Would you be proud of everything you say in the privacy of your home?

How would you look if your crazy girlfriend who is looking for a paycheck sets you up?

The guy did NOTHING wrong yes he said some racist comments but since when is that ILLEGAL?

He's not going anywhere...

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    Could this guy be any less telegenic? He's straight out of Central Casting, if you're looking for a sniveling, pencil-necked, duplicitous, milquetoast corporate coward. I thought Stern was hard to swallow. This guy makes Bettman seem like "The Most Interesting Man In The World". Wow!

It will be interesting to see how he handles his first crisis. Pretty simple to me. Demand that Sterling immediately answer under oath whether the racist comments are his. Sterling's instinct will be to stall or lie or say "not that I can remember". Silver cannot allow him to stall. If Sterling can't remember, the Commish can contend that's he's in failing health and not fit to own a franchise. If he lies, and it's proven wrong, he's dead to rights. If he admits his discretion, pull his franchise under the premise that's he's detrimental to the best interests of the league. Sterling has got to go, plain and simple!!
    I'm sure you're a real stud yourself...the difference is he's got millions and you don't

fishtot
    fishtot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4082

amen E

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by Eejit View Post

How would you look if your crazy girlfriend who is looking for a paycheck sets you up?

The guy did NOTHING wrong yes he said some racist comments but since when is that ILLEGAL?

Since when does organizational discipline have to do with what's legal and illegal? Maybe you've never heard of Marge Schott?

Anyway jjer is right

Suspend him and move on

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Suspend him from what, Being the owner? Can't really do that.
    Being involved in day to day running of the team? Ok, Im sure he's fine with that.

Seriously, what are they going to suspend him from doing?

Swaggy P
    Swaggy P's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

He should force him to sell the team to Magic Johnson.

That will send a strong message

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggy P View Post
    He should force him to sell the team to Magic Johnson.

That will send a strong message
    Can't force him to do squat...Commissioner works for the owners...the Owners need to vote him off the Island because he's bad for business. If they're waiting for Adam Silver to bail them out...Sterling didn't change his name from Tokowitz because he's some dummy who fell off the turnip truck

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Suspend him from what, Being the owner? Can't really do that.
    Being involved in day to day running of the team? Ok, Im sure he's fine with that.

Seriously, what are they going to suspend him from doing?
    krakker your smarter than this i hope

krakker youve never heard of owners getting suspended

krakker for christs sake i just used an example in the post your responding to

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

^
    Sterling will get the Marge treatment.
    Tommorrow "Vegetable Lasagne" will hand down a one year suspension.
    Like Sterling gives a crap, guey is worth over a billion dollars.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post

*you're smarter than this
    *you're responding too.
    Points Awarded:

ParlayininHTown gave opie1988 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sterling holds all the cards, he's a billionaire....sell the team and name his price......and he will sue if the league tries to step on him......the owners control the commissioner

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    *you're smarter than this
    *you're responding too.
    im new here

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Is not like you can find billionaires who want to buy the Clippers. Maybe another Russian tycoon or a Saudi prince can buy the team from Sterling. If they force him to sell he is not going to lose any money. He bought the team for peanuts.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
    Sterling holds all the cards, he's a billionaire....sell the team and name his price......and he will sue if the league tries to step on him......the owners control the commissioner
    He bought the Clippers for $12 Million and they're worth something North of $600 Million...when you look into all of the legal crap...you're exactly right. One of the only hopes in the short term is that he has some sort of "vision" and decides he doesn't want to own a team anymore...translation: The owners get him in a room and put soap in a bunch of socks and kick the crap out of him until he decides to sell the team....or....he dies of old age

The Kraken

Drinker I have heard of owners being suspended but they're still the legal owners, even while suspended. So what it is that he does, that if suspended, will have any impact on Sterling?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

He is 80 years old. Most men at his age are not working. So if they suspend him he will have more tome to play bridge.

nyczgnay28
    nyczgnay28's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

1. Fine can only be up to 1 million dollars. That's pennies to Sterling's 2 billion net worth.

2. Suspend him from games? Sterling doesn't care as long as his clippers are profiting.

3. There's no legal way to make him sell the team.

The only way to get at Sterling is by affecting his wallet which is by taking away his sponsors (his main profit). The only way to do it is from fans. The coaches, players, media are all under contract, obligation to still play, watch and write about the Clippers. Fan's don't have any obligation and can stop watching if they decide to. It's ALL on the fans.

/thread
    Last edited by nyczgnay28; 04-28-14 at 08:00 PM.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Drinker I have heard of owners being suspended but they're still the legal owners, even while suspended. So what it is that he does, that if suspended, will have any impact on Sterling?
    1) it's symbolic that the league actually did something about it. Right or wrong there is a significant portion of the nba fan base who are calling for his head. A new commissioner who DOES have authority to fine and suspend him want to get this the fuk behind him as fast as possible

2) all these dickheads are completely ego driven. Banning him from games would absolutely eat at his old ass

3) a suspension sets the table for a lifetime ban and forced sale with any further issues

His bigger crime here is fukkin stupidity more than the racism. Why even become an nba owner of all things if you're gonna talking shit about blacks.

There has even been talk of the nba taking over the team but that's +10,000 or more.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Could riots like Rodney King erupt in LA tomorrow night if the NBA commissioner doesn't force him to sell the team to Magic?

Swaggy P

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    Can't force him to do squat...Commissioner works for the owners...the Owners need to vote him off the Island because he's bad for business. If they're waiting for Adam Silver to bail them out...Sterling didn't change his name from Tokowitz because he's some dummy who fell off the turnip truck
    Either way he'll have to pay the ultimate price for being racist white trash and sell the team

The Kraken

1) it's symbolic that the league actually did something about it. Right or wrong there is a significant portion of the nba fan base who are calling for his head. A new commissioner who DOES have authority to fine and suspend him want to get this the fuk behind him as fast as possible

2) all these dickheads are completely ego driven. Banning him from games would absolutely eat at his old ass

3) a suspension sets the table for a lifetime ban and forced sale with any further issues

His bigger crime here is fukkin stupidity more than the racism. Why even become an nba owner of all things if you're gonna talking shit about blacks.

There has even been talk of the nba taking over the team but that's +10,000 or more.
    The author of this article agrees with you

"• Suspension — this is the hammer Silver really can wield. He can suspend Sterling from any contact with the team or interacting with the front office, keep him from attending games. This would be the biggest blow — for Sterling games are a social, “kiss the ring” kind of event where the people around him gather to enjoy “his team” and “his games.” He basks in the celebrity of it. Take that away and it is more of a blow than any fine would be."

I don't think it would make much of a difference but I could be wrong, like you said, they are ego driven. Maybe James D would know if Sterling care two bits about being suspended or not.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Could riots like Rodney King erupt in LA tomorrow night if the NBA commissioner doesn't force him to sell the team to Magic?
    Well Rpdney won't be around to see it...RIP

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    ^
    Sterling will get the Marge treatment.
    Tommorrow "Vegetable Lasagne" will hand down a one year suspension.
    Like Sterling gives a crap, guey is worth over a billion dollars.
    Haha love the Seinfeld reference

opie1988

Either way he'll have to pay the ultimate price for being racist white trash and sell the team
    Not like this is any sort of breaking news. Yet the black players sure didn't mind going to work for him, did they?

I guess pride has its price, huh? Lol.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Swaggy P

Not like this is any sort of breaking news. Yet the black players sure didn't mind going to work for him, did they?

I guess pride has its price, huh? Lol.
    No need for pride. Karma is a much stronger force.

opie1988

So is that why the black players kept cashing his checks? They knew eventually karma would get him?

Priceless.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Swaggy P

So is that why the black players kept cashing his checks? They knew eventually karma would get him?
    If you had an ounce of wisdom then you would know karma always prevails.

stevenash

My dogma got hit by a karma
    Points Awarded:

InTheDrink gave stevenash 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

swaggyer let me help you out pal cuz i like you

swagier karma is a figment of your imagination

swageer i wish it were real too geuy

Swaggy P

swaggyer let me help you out pal cuz i like you

swagier karma is a figment of your imagination

swageer i wish it were real too geuy
    Just see what happens to sterling. That you can have your doubts about karma settled.

stevenash

I haven't seen so much outrage since Rowdy Roddy Piper called Junk Yard Dog a porch monkey.

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Quote Originally Posted by Eejit View Post

It isnt a matter of legality. Im sure it isnt illegal to tell your boss to penetrate off, but I'm sure he'll fire you.

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Quote Originally Posted by nyczgnay28 View Post
    1. Fine can only be up to 1 million dollars. That's pennies to Sterling's 2 billion net worth.

2. Suspend him from games? Sterling doesn't care as long as his clippers are profiting.

3. There's no legal way to make him sell the team.

The only way to get at Sterling is by affecting his wallet which is by taking away his sponsors (his main profit). The only way to do it is from fans. The coaches, players, media are all under contract, obligation to still play, watch and write about the Clippers. Fan's don't have any obligation and can stop watching if they decide to. It's ALL on the fans.

/thread
    Exactly

123 Last