ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Predicting Gonzaga's future:

They get upset.

There is no sense in trying to believe this Gonzaga team is any different.

Gonzaga has been built on playing teams in major conferences in the Non-Conference, preferably those teams would be dependent on the success of freshman, and as a result - an upperclassman laden Gonzaga team is able to matchup and beat these younger squads at that point in the season.

As a result, they've solidified their resume before conference play even begins (think how asinine that is). They then go about trashing one of the worst Mid-Major conferences in America. (A lot of that conference is questionable D1)

They go into the tournament with a gawdy record, and not having lost in a considerable amount of time, especially in comparison to the other top teams in the nation. Then they get seeded way too high for their ability, and as a result, they get upset way earlier than a top seed should.

This team might make it to the second weekend, but that depends on favorable matchups. If they run into a legit 8/9 in the rd of 32, they're donezo.

Gonzaga would be lucky to find a top 5 seed if they played in a legit conference.

You can copy and paste this post every year going forward, and it will ring true. I am generally a fan of Gonzaga, but them being a 1 seed is a fukkin joke.

My top 4 teams since the start of the season:

L'Ville
    Florida
    Duke
    Michigan

I still feel those are the top teams in the nation, although I'd replace UM with IU at this point.

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Thanks chalk
    I'll keep this in my mind and keep fading them against the ml

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Could be the first 16 beating a 1.

St. Mary's is decent but the rest of their conference is trash. St. Mary's is a borderline tournament team. Wait until that dazed and confused Canadian big man starts playing basketball against black people. 50% chance they get past the 2nd round. I really doubt they win 3 games.

If they were in the Big East or Big 10 would they be better than Syracuse or Notre Dame? NO.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

All "mid-majors" will lose, not if but when.

mtc44380
    mtc44380's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 466

I hear ya, and feel the same way. They are a decent squad, but cant match up against the major conference seeds, They WONT lose to the #16 seed, and thats for sure, but I could see them losing an 8/9 seed as well.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

They certainly haven't had the most difficult schedule. They played a couple of Big 12 teams in OSU & K-State that are ranked high, but just as questionable as most teams. There's really a lot of teams this year that have been ranked in the Top 25 who in other years - maybe even just last year, would have been crushed.

This is going to be a weird year for the tournament. Everyone's rolling out the "it's wide open" theory. Truly no dominant team, at least not one that I think you look at and say that Team B would have to play their A+ game to beat Team A. I think the draw is obviously huge because of the parody this year. The supposed teams with a chance could be in a bracket where their 2nd match is against a team who is a perfect match for them.

As for the Zags, I honestly have not seen enough of them - I think it'll be interesting to see how much respect the committee gives them, ranking doesn't mean shit all when they're filling out lines. So will they get the "group of death" draw or cupcake city?

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

I'm going to be in LA for the Sweet 16/Elite 8. I'm pretty sure they'll lose in one of those rounds.

They are as good as any team in the nation in the paint, but they are very weak in the backcourt. Stockton is a very questionable starting PG for a top 10 team. Only reason he gets so much playing time is because of his dad's legacy.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

everyones picking them to get upset, basing it off there past teams that lost with a good ranking. This year is different. It depends on the matchups of course, but this team doesn' make turnovers, can play d . They can do it all and they are rested up and motivated.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

theyre certainly not the best team in the country as the #1 ranking suggests but theres zero chance theyll lose in the first round

theyre too well coached and they have two excellent big men who will flat out overpower a low seeded team

as they get to the sweet 16 their average guard play will be exposed and i agree that id be shocked if they made it through to the FF

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

It's hard to predict they'll get upset before the brackets are released. But if they get matched up with a team with strong guards, they might be in trouble.

EaglesPhan36

Gonzaga got a pretty good draw.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Gonzaga got a pretty good draw.
    I think exactly the opposite, I question if they make it to the second weekend with that draw.

Owls
    Owls's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 809

Gonzaga vs. Pitt is a coin flip. Pitt got shafted with an 8 seed, they can beat Gonzaga with their B game.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Gonzaga loses in the round of 32, and they would actually be a small underdog vs. 8-seed Pitt. Although I thing Zags lose regardless, even to Wichita State

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Few's been past the first weekend twice since '01, and hasn't advanced through the Sweet 16 since the late '90's.

pacers101
    pacers101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

lose in the round of 32

OneTouch00
    OneTouch00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 222

all you guys are smoking fairy dust gonzaga is underrated and i dont care if they havent played top teams they just havent had the chance yet they will probably make it pretty far if not win it this year.

C-Gold

Pitt is going to be a favorite and beat them.

YouHave2outs
    YouHave2outs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

About 2 weeks ago Brock Landers said they were pretty underrated, probably going to the Final Four....that's all I need

edit: unless he changes his mind pre tourney

mcduggly
    mcduggly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2401

I think Kevin Olynyk is one of the best players in the nation and is a great leader of this team. Because of that, I think they go decently far if role guys like Pangos play well.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by mcduggly View Post
    I think Kevin Olynyk is one of the best players in the nation and is a great leader of this team. Because of that, I think they go decently far if role guys like Pangos play well.
    if hes one of the best players in the nation then maybe you should know his name is kelly

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

no doubt they will be upset. Probably in the sweet 16

mcduggly
    mcduggly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2401

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    if hes one of the best players in the nation then maybe you should know his name is kelly
    Sorry, Drinker, I was thinking of what I was going to say about Kevin Pangos.

C-Gold

Pitt will beat them in round 2
    Wisconsin would beat them
    New Mexico would beat them
    Ohio State would beat them
    Notre Dame would beat them

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

anyone wanna give me even money odds on a points bet that theyll get to the sweet 16?

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

wow what a god awful draw. Best 8/9 matchup in recent history? (minus STL/Memphis last year)

HOT WINGS
    HOT WINGS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3651

Pitt beats them round 3

EaglesPhan36

Guess I'm an oppo opinion from most. I see a lot of teams in their bracket - especially to the Elite 8 that like to play mashing, physical ball. While that may not be their preferred play necessarily, I'm not scared of any of those teams if I am Gonzaga. Good defense will beat Pitt, Wisconsin and K-State IMO. Whether you think their schedule was legit or not, Gonaga was a top ten defensive FG% team in D1 and #2 offensively in FG%. They can defense and they can score. I don't doubt Pitt can defend with the best. I don't doubt K-State is solid defensively, but I've seen enough of both those teams to know they can be shut down enough to where if you have a better offense and you D is as good or better - you should beat them. Doesn't mean they will, but I think if they make it past that 8-9 winner, they're going to see quite a bit of the same sort of style albeit with some tweaks obviously with Wisconsin, etc. Just my two cents.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: InTheDrink

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Ready for a Gonzaga fun fact............

They have outlasted their seed 2 times since the 01-02 season. 01-02 they beat won their first round match as a 9 seed. The other time they won as an 11 seed and then were blown out in the second round.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    Ready for a Gonzaga fun fact............

They have outlasted their seed 2 times since the 01-02 season. 01-02 they beat won their first round match as a 9 seed. The other time they won as an 11 seed and then were blown out in the second round.
    looks like that will continue since you cant really "outlast" a 1 seed

tto827

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    looks like that will continue since you cant really "outlast" a 1 seed
    They are the 4th number one. I'll say they outlived their seed if they get to the final 4.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    They are the 4th number one. I'll say they outlived their seed if they get to the final 4.
    only reason i think they have a shot is their shit region

and unlike most i dont see them having a problem getting to the s16

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Any historic zaga stats DO NOT MATTER. This year's team is special.

I'm laughing at the people saying Pitt will beat them in the 2nd round - I don't even think Pitt makes it past Wichita State actually.

Zaga has an easy draw in my (very educated) opinion.

tto827

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    Any historic zaga stats DO NOT MATTER. This year's team is special.

I'm laughing at the people saying Pitt will beat them in the 2nd round - I don't even think Pitt makes it past Wichita State actually.

Zaga has an easy draw in my (very educated) opinion.
    I read the same thing year after year.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Maybe, but I've never said this about zaga. Olynyk, pangos, bell... Talented guards and impressive depth down low. They got the recipe, man.

12 Last