mcduggly
    mcduggly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2401

Rules that need to be changed in professional sports?

I can think of several off the top of my head.

1) The whole catcher being able to block home plate in baseball and the runner allowed to truck him. Way too many injuries and potential for injury. What makes home plate any different than any other base?

2) Hand-checking in the NBA. These dudes are huge, athletic, and the game is being slowed down. These stupid hand-check fouls are ruining the game because of how easy quick point guards can just drive on every possession and either score or earn free throws.

3) Fighting in the NHL. It's not allowed in any other sport, it shouldn't be allowed in hockey either for obvious reasons. If there is a fight, a 5 minute major isn't enough.

4) In the NBA, I think a player should get an assist if he passes the ball to a teammate, that teammate gets fouled, and hits both free throws.

What do you guys think? I'm bored and just drank a few Stella's. Only reasons for this thread being started.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

1) Flopping will be treated just like big hits (see "illegal") in the NFL. Fines - too many and you gotta sit.

2) Not Pro, but the shot clock in mens NCAABK needs to be lowered significantly, at least to the 30 seconds seen in the womens NCAA.

mcduggly

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    1) Flopping will be treated just like big hits (see "illegal") in the NFL. Fines - too many and you gotta sit.

2) Not Pro, but the shot clock in mens NCAABK needs to be lowered significantly, at least to the 30 seconds seen in the womens NCAA.
    I like 'em, especially your second one. A college team doesn't need over half a minute to put a shot up.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Fighting is allowed in any sport but the penalties are much more severe than hockey. If they want to limit fighting in hockey players doing should be banned several games per offense.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

No fighting in the NHL and no running over the catcher in baseball? Pansy.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

NBA - get rid off all the timeouts. make it simple. whate3ver timeouts you dont use in the first half will be deducted in the second hf.

NHL- bring in no touch icing.

MLB- get rid of the 3 strike passed ball/wild pitch strikeout. a strikeout is a strikeout.

NFL- get rid fo the sliding rule for qb's. too much free yards.

coop
    coop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

the difference in home plate and all the other bases is that the catcher wears protective gear

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

#1 by far imo is NCAA Hoops

Fukkin stupid ass possession arrow.

Guy makes great defense play and doesn't get rewarded for it half the time.

Jump it up...

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Cutting down on the timeouts in basketball is good. All the timeouts at the end of a game kill it.

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

Teddy Roosevelt's 525 consecutive losing streak at National home games. I hate that fukkin rule.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: InTheDrink

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

golf - players cant repair other players' spike marks on the green. total joke....some say it would slow the game down and guys would be fixing every blemish on the way to the hole....fine just put a timer on every putt

basketball draft eligibility - make it just like baseball....if you decide to play in college you cant be drafted until you complete your third year in college....if you want to go pro out of high school then go pro. some guys dont need college....lebron and kobe certainly didnt....and if guys do need or want to go to college then the ncaa gets more continuity in the teams and the level of play improves dramatically

all sports - review, review, review - time limit for every review but all things should be reviewable within reason...fuk human element...get the fukkin call right

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

35 second shot clock in college basketball is bs

needs to be 70 seconds minimum, preferably 2 minutes.

soccer- should allow fighting like NHL

basketball- should allow fighting like NHL

mcaulay777
    mcaulay777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16303

You can not eliminate fighting in the NHL.The reason is you will have to many little rats taking cheap shots and cheap hits against the superstars and the intent to injure those players with out a big goon coming after them.Who would you rather have out a little five foot nothin from the ahl for suspension for 3 months injuring say a Sidney Crosby or Crosby for 3 months and having no goals.Teams would go after good players thats what would happen if hockey takes fighting out of the game.I know i did not really explain all that well but it would happen sort of like that but you need fighting.

oZgoodZ33
    oZgoodZ33's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    #1 by far imo is NCAA Hoops

Fukkin stupid ass possession arrow.

Guy makes great defense play and doesn't get rewarded for it half the time.

Jump it up...
    I hear you but I don't think you're thinking this through. You're not taking into account when a pg goes to the floor with a big and there's a held ball and the possession arrow points towards the pg's team. If it were a jump every time then the pg would be screwed in that situation. It all evens out in the end is what I'm saying.

Jetsfan
    Update your status
    Jetsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10090

NFL- Change pass interference to a 15 yard penalty. Sure there will be more defenders knocking down receivers that beat them for a deep one but there will also be less subjective and costly penalties that essentially surrender points.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

Quote Originally Posted by oZgoodZ33 View Post
    I hear you but I don't think you're thinking this through. You're not taking into account when a pg goes to the floor with a big and there's a held ball and the possession arrow points towards the pg's team. If it were a jump every time then the pg would be screwed in that situation. It all evens out in the end is what I'm saying.
    Why can't a little fella out jump a big?

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16714

1) Running over the catcher in baseball is part of the game.
    2) Hand check fouls are weak, and should be eliminated.
    3) Fighting will always be allowed in hockey.
    4) That's just stupid.

BGS 9.5
    BGS 9.5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3665

Football - get rid of half the distance to the goal

total whore shit

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Please for the love of god the NCAA 35 clock, takes god damn forever for a play to be made. PI should DEFINITELY be a 15 yarder, absolutely correct, if there is a PI call it seems 9/10 times it leads directly to a score. The odds are much greater than the throw actually being on target without the penelty or the guy even catching the ball.

I think you should be rewarded an assist even if you pass the ball to a guy, he's fouled and hits just 1 FT. Maybe I just confused myself, but when you're taking a shot and get fouled and miss, doesn't that count against your fg%? If so it should be like a BB in baseball where the at bat (shot) doesn't count.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

college hashmarks are too wide for kickers...you got johnny highschool deciding a game on a 22 yard field goal thats at a 45 degree angle that some nfl kickers would struggle with....fukkin stupid

mcduggly

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    1) Running over the catcher in baseball is part of the game.
    2) Hand check fouls are weak, and should be eliminated.
    3) Fighting will always be allowed in hockey.
    4) That's just stupid.
    1) It shouldn't be part of the game, which is the whole point of this thread.
    2) Exactly.
    3) It's not "allowed", it's just not penalized enough for players to care. The penalty is what needs to change.
    4) Any play that leads to a score should be counted as an assist. That's stupid? What's the difference if a player hits the shot compared to if he gets fouled in the act of shooting and hits both free throws?

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    Please for the love of god the NCAA 35 clock, takes god damn forever for a play to be made. PI should DEFINITELY be a 15 yarder, absolutely correct, if there is a PI call it seems 9/10 times it leads directly to a score. The odds are much greater than the throw actually being on target without the penelty or the guy even catching the ball.

I think you should be rewarded an assist even if you pass the ball to a guy, he's fouled and hits just 1 FT. Maybe I just confused myself, but when you're taking a shot and get fouled and miss, doesn't that count against your fg%? If so it should be like a BB in baseball where the at bat (shot) doesn't count.
    No, if a player gets fouled white shooting and misses, it does not count towards his shooting percentage.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4140

Quote Originally Posted by mcduggly View Post
    I can think of several off the top of my head.

1) The whole catcher being able to block home plate in baseball and the runner allowed to truck him. Way too many injuries and potential for injury. What makes home plate any different than any other base?

2) Hand-checking in the NBA. These dudes are huge, athletic, and the game is being slowed down. These stupid hand-check fouls are ruining the game because of how easy quick point guards can just drive on every possession and either score or earn free throws.

3) Fighting in the NHL. It's not allowed in any other sport, it shouldn't be allowed in hockey either for obvious reasons. If there is a fight, a 5 minute major isn't enough.

4) In the NBA, I think a player should get an assist if he passes the ball to a teammate, that teammate gets fouled, and hits both free throws.

What do you guys think? I'm bored and just drank a few Stella's. Only reasons for this thread being started.
    You can't be serious, can you?

1) Force outs at second base often involve players trying to take the legs out of SS and 2nd basemen. If it's not a force out, players will run into a player if it means reaching base. It's not just home plate where collisions occur. This is a part of the game and it deserves to be there, because banning it creates way too many problems for the baserunner and would create a horrible halo effect for catchers. Hate it when people tamper with key parts of the game...tampering with the rules has created the current mess in the NFL.

2) don't have a strong opinion on this

3) Fighting helps to self regulate the game and it helps to prevent much worse retaliations from being the answer. It's much better to let these guys fight it out...also, how often do you see a player KO'd or severely injured from a hockey fight? hardly ever. Hockey is so different from other sports...easier to do damage when ice is not involved.

4) seems like a good idea

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Why can't a little fella out jump a big?
    Most of the times the ball is not thrown high enough so the big fella doesn't even need to jump and just swat the ball.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

change the college rule of only needing 1 foot in bounds. Make the college high school and pro rules all the same for every sport.

Make the 3 point line the international line for high school, college and nba.

Change off setting personal fouls. Decide who the instigator was and only give that person the penalty

get rid of the dh, make pitchers hit in al and nl always.

The tuck rule. Why isn't anyone talking about that. Get rid of the rooster_eater.

Illegal defense. No illegal d calls in basketball

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

NBA - if you get punched in your dikk you get 1 free shot at the other guy, which you can take during anytime of the game and without warning

NFL - steroids should not only be allowed but a requirement

MLB - metal bats and indian tags are now in effect

Womens sports - eliminate (unless they are playing naked)

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    change the college rule of only needing 1 foot in bounds. Make the college high school and pro rules all the same for every sport.

Make the 3 point line the international line for high school, college and nba.

Change off setting personal fouls. Decide who the instigator was and only give that person the penalty

get rid of the dh, make pitchers hit in al and nl always.

The tuck rule. Why isn't anyone talking about that. Get rid of the rooster_eater.

Illegal defense. No illegal d calls in basketball
    I'll be damned, slim thought of a good one.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

NBA - get rid of the ticky tack fouls and just like in football you can use a timeout to challenge a play (ex: if there was or wasnt a foul)

NFL - get rid of the extra point. everything is 2 point conversion attempt (really who ever watches or pays attention to the extra point?) & every play is reviewable/challengable

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

fyi you CAN run over a guy on any base but the problem is that you have to STOP on that base if it isnt home plate

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

so if you say it's so easy to drive to the lane as a pg why is it so much harder to score in today's game than it was 15 years ago, and 30 years before that. Have you ever thought about that?

Handchecking is 100% allowed in the post season. It's a different game. Just look at the Celtics Lakers series that was played 3 years ago. There's was nothing that physical for at least 10 years prior to that.

Handchecking gets carried away at times. Otherwise you can take a guy that's just an average defensive player and put him on a Jordan or Bryant and they can do a decent job if they can keep up with their speed by blocking their momentum with their hands...

It's common sense....

Handchecking makes it easier to guard elite offensive players. If you want to be a great defender you got to be able to move your feet more quickly than a Jordan or a Bryant or James

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    so if you say it's so easy to drive to the lane as a pg why is it so much harder to score in today's game than it was 15 years ago, and 30 years before that. Have you ever thought about that?

Handchecking is 100% allowed in the post season. It's a different game. Just look at the Celtics Lakers series that was played 3 years ago. There's was nothing that physical for at least 10 years prior to that.

Handchecking gets carried away at times. Otherwise you can take a guy that's just an average defensive player and put him on a Jordan or Bryant and they can do a decent job if they can keep up with their speed by blocking their momentum with their hands...

It's common sense....

Handchecking makes it easier to guard elite offensive players. If you want to be a great defender you got to be able to move your feet more quickly than a Jordan or a Bryant or James
    my biggest issue with the nba is that the players are so athletic that the refs have a harder time than ever before calling a game consistently....ive never subscribed to the notion of rampant fixing by refs (who knows maybe im wrong about that)....but i do think nba reffing blows because the game moves faster than ever...and even when refs try to get control of a game, again the players are so athletic that a lot of times they're going to play physical anyway and its virtually impossible to call a game evenly all the way through

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    my biggest issue with the nba is that the players are so athletic that the refs have a harder time than ever before calling a game consistently....ive never subscribed to the notion of rampant fixing by refs (who knows maybe im wrong about that)....but i do think nba reffing blows because the game moves faster than ever...and even when refs try to get control of a game, again the players are so athletic that a lot of times they're going to play physical anyway and its virtually impossible to call a game evenly all the way through
    yeah it really is very hard to call a game consistently in the nba. there's a handful of players that are just too fast and too athletic and most things are judgement calls. Honestly I think most refs do a great job in the NBA consideration the circumstances. It's much harder to be a ref in the NBA than the NCAA. They don't just take anyone. But the best team usually wins every year or at least makes it to the conference finals at minimum, so that's why I like the NBA and which is why I'm a fan of the NHL too. A 7 game series rewards the best teams.

beermankirk
    beermankirk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 885

NHL, - The #1 thing in sports that need to be changed is NHL hockey awarding 2 points in some games, and 3 points in other games... Awarding a point is stupid for just making OT. It leads to teams letting up in the last half of the 3rd period to get a point.

Keep the shootout if you like, but if you lose in OT or a shootout , you lose. No loser point... It's stupid How the Blackhawks are 18-0-3, They are 18-3.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    yeah it really is very hard to call a game consistently in the nba. there's a handful of players that are just too fast and too athletic and most things are judgement calls. Honestly I think most refs do a great job in the NBA consideration the circumstances. It's much harder to be a ref in the NBA than the NCAA. They don't just take anyone. But the best team usually wins every year or at least makes it to the conference finals at minimum, so that's why I like the NBA and which is why I'm a fan of the NHL too. A 7 game series rewards the best teams.

uh in the nhl the team with a hot goalie wins.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Quote Originally Posted by beermankirk View Post
    NHL, - The #1 thing in sports that need to be changed is NHL hockey awarding 2 points in some games, and 3 points in other games... Awarding a point is stupid for just making OT. It leads to teams letting up in the last half of the 3rd period to get a point.

Keep the shootout if you like, but if you lose in OT or a shootout , you lose. No loser point... It's stupid How the Blackhawks are 18-0-3, They are 18-3.
    I have this discussion with my dad after pretty much every OT hawks game. Could lead to some serious rigging if you just need a point to make the playoffs deal.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    uh in the nhl the team with a hot goalie wins.
    That goalie still has to play a ton of games though. You don't just play 3 4 games and then win a cup. if you're not an elite goalie, teams are gonna figure you out when they watch the tape and make adjustments. that's why you play a series.

12 Last