View Poll Results: Would you want to be a professional poker player?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 50.94%
  • No

26 49.06%
    BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

A couple of years ago, I would have probably said yes. With a good bankroll and a group of guys that I could work with (not to cheat) to share "the life" with (i.e. share expenses, share poker theories and advice with people I trust doing the same thing).

I know now that I am simply not good enough to consistently run good enough to make the kind of money to be successful.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

The most boring irritating and unhealthy profession known to mankind.....................

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    The most boring irritating and unhealthy profession known to mankind.....................
    I could list 50 worse professions.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

beer on the right track need a team/syndicate of some sort IMO, by myself, definitely not.

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    I could list 500 worse professions.
    fyp

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Off the chopper to Macau /sicklife

mynameismud

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Off the chopper to Macau /sicklife

tom dawn makes a great living stealing hong kong dollars from very rich business men at the tables in macau.

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Yes, a close second is assistant crack whore.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

I would never want to be online pro.. live tourneys show true ski and u get to talk to friends etc

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29066

definatley need more skill to play live

Conan
    Conan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 818

is a huge grind up and down constantly have a couple of friends who have done it for a while but never able to sustain it. I used to play on the regular as well never would call myself pro alwase hoped to hit 500k or so with the bad beat to get started but never happened limited to excess off my check if i lost o well if i won i bought something had some fun i think i have the stamina to do it but the discipline of playing well for all that time perhaps not.

1brokegirl
    never had a bad day in my life
    1brokegirl's Avatar Become A Pro!

no way in hell could i ever want to do that for a living. have my own bussiness anyway.

IMightBluff
    Because it was suited!
    IMightBluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1141

Quote Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
    no way in hell could i ever want to do that for a living. have my own bussiness anyway.
    Hence why your broke, just like your name suggests lol

IMightBluff
    Because it was suited!

nuff said

mynameismud

cada and gold are the 2 biggest fish to win the main imo.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

At one point, yes. Now I don't have it in me to grind it out anymore, I'm burnt out from the countless hours played.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: PAULYPOKER

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I could be a MTT Live and Sit N Go Pro but definitely not a cash game grinder

Don't have the skills to be a cash game grinder anyway but anyone could donk their way to a big MTT score and play off of that.....I've seen it happen with a friend from college

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

Knew a guy in Biloxi about 7 years ago that made over 100k a year playing 15/30 limit. He only played weekends too , sharp guy that had a lot of patience.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Quote Originally Posted by IMightBluff View Post
    If your planning on playing pro and gona go do 1/2 or 2/5 dont. Go play online. You need less bankroll, less vaariance, less stress, same hourly. $25NL online 4-6 tables will get u hourly of 1/2

4-6 tables of $50NL will get u hourly of 2-5

You need to add in transportation, and food costs to your overhead when you play live.
    Don't forget the other benefit of playing online - rake. Playing less than 5-10 (and that is really pushing it) is just dumb because of all the money coming off of the table in the rake when playing live.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

I consider myself to be a very good player playing 2/5 and 5/10 only. Ive had months where i make over 10k but the swings are vicious. Ive had a 30k upswing followed by a 40k downswing playing poker the right way and just running horrible. Grinding even 5/10 games with other great players isnt the thing to do. Ive converted myself from strictly a cash game player to a tournament player. So far i have a couple decent sized cashes in 16 tournaments total played. I'd never go back to grinding 50 hours a week at cash games again unless i lived in LA or San Jose. In smaller areas there is a pool of about 50-80 5/10 players. Half have money to blow but most are serious grinders and you just throw money back and forth. I do it as a hobby every weekend but never as a job again.
    Last edited by UntilTheNDofTimE; 12-27-12 at 07:13 PM.

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

Quote Originally Posted by mynameismud View Post
    cada and gold are the 2 biggest fish to win the main imo.
    add Jerry Yang..... :-)

paintballpaki
    paintballpaki's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I would kill to live the life

CollegePro
    CollegePro's Avatar Become A Pro!

i wouldn't quit my job.. what happens if you lose?? and 6 months later?? 6 months is awfully short time... you will be fukked after 6 months later

IMightBluff
    Because it was suited!

Quote Originally Posted by paintballpaki View Post
    I would kill to live the life
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegePro View Post
    i wouldn't quit my job.. what happens if you lose?? and 6 months later?? 6 months is awfully short time... you will be fukked after 6 months later
    If you want to go pro or attempt to go pro, don't try and do it playing live lol worst thing you can do. The variance feels much worse because you don't have as many hands.

Subscribe to strategy videos sites and get pay for coaching. Fastest way to improve and more efficient route to take.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Yeah good fukkin luck playing online as a pro in the US now.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Depends on your game some people might not be able to win online cash but could crush low live stakes

IMightBluff
    Because it was suited!

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Yeah good fukkin luck playing online as a pro in the US now.
    There is still a lot of sites you can play on such as Lock Poker ect, and there is a lot of backroom deals for US Poker Players that you could get for absurd amount of rakeback and same day cashouts.

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    Depends on your game some people might not be able to win online cash but could crush low live stakes
    I agree that live is a lot easier than online micros even, but it is less variance online and you don't know if your beating the live games unless you got atleast 1000 hours at the table and it will be a while before you get to that point. So you might just be on the heater for a couple of months. It happens.

UntilTheNDofTimE

Quote Originally Posted by IMightBluff View Post

I agree that live is a lot easier than online micros even, but it is less variance online and you don't know if your beating the live games unless you got atleast 1000 hours at the table and it will be a while before you get to that point. So you might just be on the heater for a couple of months. It happens.
    This is crazy true but i also dont get it. I was never a big online player. If you go to 2+2 forum there are people talking super in depth at 2NL. If your beating that game at 5bb a hour thats 10 cents a hour. If your multi tabling 18 tables that is still nothing. I know a lot of live players who wouldnt waste there time with buy ins under 500 but online is a completely different monster. I myself never played anything under 2/4 in my short time playing but there are some serious grinders that dont think their good enough for 50NL. It baffles me at times.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I would probably make a ton of money but I don't like sitting for hours at a time wearing sunglasses indoors.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    I would probably make a ton of money but I don't like sitting for hours at a time wearing sunglasses indoors.

you still look like a pro without the shades!

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Archie. I look like a pro but I think I lasted about 30 minutes.

PS. Thanks for posting the picture. I will try and magnify my wedding ring and sent it to the insurance company since it was stolen last summer and I didn't have a picture of it.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Chi_archie

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    This is crazy true but i also dont get it. I was never a big online player. If you go to 2+2 forum there are people talking super in depth at 2NL. If your beating that game at 5bb a hour thats 10 cents a hour. If your multi tabling 18 tables that is still nothing. I know a lot of live players who wouldnt waste there time with buy ins under 500 but online is a completely different monster. I myself never played anything under 2/4 in my short time playing but there are some serious grinders that dont think their good enough for 50NL. It baffles me at times.
    One of the best players I know grinds 25nl. His hand reading ability is unbelievable. He would have success at nearly any level he played if he could be properly rolled for it. Some just don't have the money to play very high stakes.

UntilTheNDofTimE

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    One of the best players I know grinds 25nl. His hand reading ability is unbelievable. He would have success at nearly any level he played if he could be properly rolled for it. Some just don't have the money to play very high stakes.
    if your a good player you'll be able to move up. No one wakes up playing 5/10 unless you make 100k+ a year. I started at 1/2 moved to 2/5 moved to bigger 2/5 games then to 5/10. If your buddy is very good at 25 NL im sure he'll gradually move up.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    if your a good player you'll be able to move up. No one wakes up playing 5/10 unless you make 100k+ a year. I started at 1/2 moved to 2/5 moved to bigger 2/5 games then to 5/10. If your buddy is very good at 25 NL im sure he'll gradually move up.
    Or just play tons of MTT's and eventually donk one for a huge cash like one of my friends did.....He is now in Playa Del Carmen Mexico with a bunch of other online poker pros living the good life and was just an average broke ass college student before that.....

I could never grind, grind, grind and multi table micro stakes even if I was good at cash games......Just don't have it in me anymore. When I was 17-18,maybe, but not now

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

online is easier because you can pick and choose your tables.
    live is easier because you can read your opponent.

Both have positive aspects, be it playing in the comfort of your home, or live being able to play at a table and shoot the sh1t with people.

First 123 Last