DR225
    DR225's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Friends that root for you to fail

I recently moved in with my "best" friend and came to the shocking realization that the worst I do, betting wise, the happier he gets. When I bring my tales of dispair to him Monday morning, I'll get faced with the biggest shit eating grin imaginable. On the other hand, when I win, the tone of the conversation is very somber and the guy just can't be happy for me. This was magnified during the third tigers/yankees game with Verlander. I paid some heavy in-game juice ($800 something to win $300) and the guy was actively rooting for yankee hits (he isn't even a fan of baseball) and if it wasn't for Phil Coke shutting the door, I probably would've murdered him.

Anyone else deal with the issue of people actually hoping you'll fail?

tb1984
    tb1984's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1083

First of all, don't let him know what you bet.

DR225
    DR225's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Do you mean not mentioning the actual dollar amounts of wins/losses or to not discuss betting in general? Sometimes you just gotta tell somebody after an incredibly profitable betting day, it makes it more real.

ssmann
    ssmann's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2465

friends like that feel like they have to compete with everyone.. its really annoying

i had a friend like that, don't even talk to him anymore

nosaij
    nosaij's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7131

"friend" like that is just jealous of you making $$$ using your brain while he is slaving off his ass.

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1482

how about you make the bet and dont tell anyone. really no need to gossip about every wager you make.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

Have you asked him straight out why he acts that way?

He may be thinking you are the asshole rubbing it in his face or something like that you don't even expect.

I'd look for someone else to live with anyway though. It won't end well sharing space with someone like that.

Justin3587
    Justin3587's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 450

Quote Originally Posted by DR225 View Post
    I recently moved in with my "best" friend and came to the shocking realization that the worst I do, betting wise, the happier he gets. When I bring my tales of dispair to him Monday morning, I'll get faced with the biggest shit eating grin imaginable. On the other hand, when I win, the tone of the conversation is very somber and the guy just can't be happy for me. This was magnified during the third tigers/yankees game with Verlander. I paid some heavy in-game juice ($800 something to win $300) and the guy was actively rooting for yankee hits (he isn't even a fan of baseball) and if it wasn't for Phil Coke shutting the door, I probably would've murdered him.

I definitely know the feeling there. The thing about Sports Betting is that you can win big. When you win big, and people find out(which you should really keep to yourself) they start to get jealous at the fact that it takes you a few minutes to make a thousand bucks, but they have to go work two weeks for that. I had a friend like that. He started getting wind of some of the cashouts I had a few years back and said he was going to deposit and just use my picks. Selfish as it seems, I said fukk no. I dont talk to him anymore. Its the way of the world buddy.

TheRifleman
    TheRifleman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

Eventually you'll come to the realization that NOBODY is happy for your successes, except you and maybe your significant other, unless it benefits them.

People generally suck...don't count on them and certainly don't trust them. Sooner or later your best friend , will be your worst enemy...unfortunately, he / she is going to know a lot of things about you that could be used against you. Don't tell people anything that might be used as leverage against you in the future...bottom-line is that NOBODY is happy for your successes, unlike your failures which they are very happy about......just keep shit to yourself...nobody cares. You are alone in this world....UTTERLY ALONE.
    Points Awarded:

paranoyd androyd gave TheRifleman 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Chili_Powder gave TheRifleman 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: paranoyd androyd

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Yeah, I have the exact same friend. Overall a really nice guy, never starts fights, not a hot head. The thing is he used to be a poker player, I think he stopped after so many online bad beats so clearly he's bitter. But for the life of me I don't get why he cheers against me. A bunch of my other friends cheer with me, or say "fukk, that's a tough beat", but this asshole who isn't a fan of any of the teams/players involved will find out which side I am on and fukking fist pump and cheer when something goes against me.

The real way I know he's a true asshole is because I had an over in an NFL game, upon a RZ turnover the guy did a fist pump as if he won something. That's when I knew never to tell him about any of my wagers again. Sometimes I tell him the opposite of my wager just to fukk with him.

But in the end you got to ask yourself why you tell people at all. If you're wagering on sports just to feel "better" than other people then you deserve the negative attention. I always offer my friends to get in on the action with me, they never want to, but only one guy has that shit eating grin you mention.

Hang out with other gamblers, non-gamblers have no fukking idea what it's like sweating out a game, how vicious losing can be, and how close to murdering them we get.

God bless.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: 75913

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer always grins when Jerry's one stock keeps going down.

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

I think its more them wanting to reassure themselves that "everyone loses at gambling". So when we win, they tell us it wont last. When it does last, thats when they want our picks... its a cycle really. Truth be told, no one wants to hear it

ncat12
    ncat12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32

. I had a friend like that. He started getting wind of some of the cashouts I had a few years back and said he was going to deposit and just use my picks. Selfish as it seems, I said fukk no. I dont talk to him anymore. Its the way of the world buddy.
    nope
    ... just the way of a ..as you put it 'SELFISH" and as I put it "PRICK"

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Some people are miserable penetrates that find pleasure and vindication in others' failures. These people are usually Democrats (I'm not trying to be funny) who can't deal with people more successful than them. It's not just money, they are jealous of your lifestyle, your girlfriend, etc.

billyloco
    et5tdFRy
    billyloco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1620

I had a roomie like that when I was 19, fukked his girlfriend hard one night after he berated me when I lost $60 (big money back in 60's)...he never found out....

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

My own brother will root against the team I'm betting on, even if it's a team he likes.

I don't let it bother me because he's a fat fuk who works a shit job, drives a shit car, lives in a shit house and can't get laid to save his shit life.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29078

i know this type

have a "friend" i can tell does same exact shit and i do call him on it, but he still denies but i know

MeatWad
    MeatWad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

I only enjoy being around others who have good money and work as their own man/boss. Too much latent hate and misery in the working population. Guys stuck with non sexual fat wives and working shit jobs tend to hate people like me.

MeatWad
    MeatWad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

Your success highlights their deficiencies....Haters gonna hate. Success is directly proportional to the number of haters you attract.

I am a successful professional gambler and only attract enemies online when I post in sports betting forums.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Don't have any friends that root against me like that on serious bets......Obviously we fukk around with eachother on bad beats or whatever with small bets, but if someone knows I have big money on a certain game they don't act like douchebags......

I wouldn't even watch a game with someone who would do that, probably wouldn't be friends with someone that hates on you in general......That's the opposite of what a friend should be

Then again, just about all of my friends bet on football games......Only like half bet on other sports, but everyone bets on football

Funny thing is theyre almost all typical squares but everyone won a shitload today......There were about 10 of us out at a local bar watching the early games today and everyone fukkin won......Saints, Cowboys, Packers and Ravens and Bills Overs.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I've ran into quite a few people like that in my life. Stay the fuk away from them. You don't need people like that. Piss on them.

peacebyinches
    pull the trigger
    peacebyinches's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7802

guys, and OP, I hate to lay down the truth like this... but every single person including you, me and every other poster in this thread is exactly like your 'friend' whether they want to admit it or not.

"I will work to elevate you.
    But just enough to bring you down."
    -Maynard James Keenan

No one gives you credit to make you feel better. They build you up only so when they tear you back down its just that much more satisfying when they do it. Your best bud, your own wife, even your own fukking self, EVERYONE does this. YOU DO. I DO. EVEN FUKKING GANDHI/BUDDHA/THE POPE/THE DALAI LAMA/RICKEY HENDERSON all operate in this screwed up fashion where we just have to snicker at the failures of even our closest friends.

Human nature just sucks. Trust me. I'd put money on it, but I know you'd just be rooting for me to lose, so I'll put it on the Bears ML instead.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: keyboarding

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by peacebyinches View Post
    guys, and OP, I hate to lay down the truth like this... but every single person including you, me and every other poster in this thread is exactly like your 'friend' whether they want to admit it or not.

"I will work to elevate you.
    But just enough to bring you down."
    -Maynard James Keenan

No one gives you credit to make you feel better. They build you up only so when they tear you back down its just that much more satisfying when they do it. Your best bud, your own wife, even your own fukking self, EVERYONE does this. YOU DO. I DO. EVEN FUKKING GANDHI/BUDDHA/THE POPE/THE DALAI LAMA/RICKEY HENDERSON all operate in this screwed up fashion where we just have to snicker at the failures of even our closest friends.

Human nature just sucks. Trust me. I'd put money on it, but I know you'd just be rooting for me to lose, so I'll put it on the Bears ML instead.
    Love the Tool quote, but I'm not sure I agree with this. I can honestly say I pull for most people to win at sportsbetting (consistently) for example. Because...

1) It's uplifting because it shows me it can in fact be done.
    2) I've always been in the minority when it comes to being in that whole Kiyosaki/Ferriss group that refuses to work to make others wealthy, and blaze my own trail like a number of people here are trying to do. So anyone else who lives in that minority too, that can make it happen without shitting on other people, I'll always pull for.

And I have a ton of "friends" that love to clown on what I do, no doubt, especially because I've failed a few times in the past, and I know it made their heads even bigger when I did. The last laugh will be a big one.

peacebyinches
    pull the trigger
    peacebyinches's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7802

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    Love the Tool quote, but I'm not sure I agree with this. I can honestly say I pull for most people to win at sportsbetting (consistently) for example. Because...

1) It's uplifting because it shows me it can in fact be done.
    2) I've always been in the minority when it comes to being in that whole Kiyosaki/Ferriss group that refuses to work to make others wealthy, and blaze my own trail like a number of people here are trying to do. So anyone else who lives in that minority too, that can make it happen without shitting on other people, I'll always pull for.

And I have a ton of "friends" that love to clown on what I do, no doubt, especially because I've failed a few times in the past, and I know it made their heads even bigger when I did. The last laugh will be a big one.
    I root for my friends to win their bets as well (given all other factors are neutral, i.e. I don't have a stake in the outcome or have any real loyalty to the teams/people involved in the bet) but regardless of who you are and how righteous you think you are (not you in particular of course, I mean EVERYONE including myself), there will always be some deep seeded desire to not only achieve in life, but to achieve more than those closest to you, in certain situations, one way or the other.

In my opinion its one of the worst aspects of human nature that has evolved in us, but its undeniable. Any of my friends that are big fans of teams and constantly talk about them and live or die from their team winning or losing, you better believe I'll be rooting for there team to lose, even if I would have not given a fukk otherwise. How dare they feel the exhilaration of their team succeeding if my team isn't?? How dare anyone I know get a raise at their BS do-nothing-all-day job while I bust my ass for chump change? How dare anyone I know have something I don't, just because they got lucky someway or another??

I'm not saying this is my thought process in life, trust me its not. I'm just admitting that as hard as we try, there is always going to be some amount of this awful.. evil... deep seeded urge to watch others burn.

Depressing, eh?

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

"I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people."

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

spike his drink with coolant..... then laugh when he starts throwing up and convulsing.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

you seem to have jerkoff loser friend

why you rooming wiht him??

Guy you might be labeled now also in neighborhood

I tried rooming with a guy 11 year ago and it lasted 3 days

Why??????

Neighbors and local guys started throwing bananas at y fukkin head and they had me labeled

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

How's that saying go. "every time my friend succeeds, a part of me dies"

HotStreak
    Smokin'
    HotStreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 901

Your friend is probably posting on another message board.

"I live with this asshole who is always bragging about the money he wins sports betting."
    Last edited by HotStreak; 10-22-12 at 07:17 AM.

shooterman
    shooterman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18498

Don't tell someone who you have in a game you are watching together? Gee that should take about one play to figure out.

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Move out as soon as you are financially able.

Discontinue association with this person.

Buy him a license plate that says "Y H8 N NV?"

Profit.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Dont talk about gambling with people who dont gamble. They get a perverse joy out of watching gamblers lose because 1. They think it cant be beat and 2. They dont like seeing people win "easy" money.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

simple answer is he's not a friend, he's a jackass

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

you just summed up this entire forum basically.

Fry
    Fry's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am one of those guys, whenever a friend succeeds, a little something in me dies.

12 Last