Originally posted on 10/21/2012:

Quote Originally Posted by DR225 View Post
I recently moved in with my "best" friend and came to the shocking realization that the worst I do, betting wise, the happier he gets. When I bring my tales of dispair to him Monday morning, I'll get faced with the biggest shit eating grin imaginable. On the other hand, when I win, the tone of the conversation is very somber and the guy just can't be happy for me. This was magnified during the third tigers/yankees game with Verlander. I paid some heavy in-game juice ($800 something to win $300) and the guy was actively rooting for yankee hits (he isn't even a fan of baseball) and if it wasn't for Phil Coke shutting the door, I probably would've murdered him.

Anyone else deal with the issue of people actually hoping you'll fail?
Yeah, I have the exact same friend. Overall a really nice guy, never starts fights, not a hot head. The thing is he used to be a poker player, I think he stopped after so many online bad beats so clearly he's bitter. But for the life of me I don't get why he cheers against me. A bunch of my other friends cheer with me, or say "fukk, that's a tough beat", but this asshole who isn't a fan of any of the teams/players involved will find out which side I am on and fukking fist pump and cheer when something goes against me.

The real way I know he's a true asshole is because I had an over in an NFL game, upon a RZ turnover the guy did a fist pump as if he won something. That's when I knew never to tell him about any of my wagers again. Sometimes I tell him the opposite of my wager just to fukk with him.

But in the end you got to ask yourself why you tell people at all. If you're wagering on sports just to feel "better" than other people then you deserve the negative attention. I always offer my friends to get in on the action with me, they never want to, but only one guy has that shit eating grin you mention.

Hang out with other gamblers, non-gamblers have no fukking idea what it's like sweating out a game, how vicious losing can be, and how close to murdering them we get.

God bless.