EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Was the first :60 in the toilet? Clutch.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    other people can always control how we feel, that's life.
    when i drive by the prick down the street's house where he parks a big yellow work truck in the driveway, i get mad.
    when a stranger holds a door open or says "good morning" it makes me feel good.

so "arbitrary" people are always going to affect our feelings, intentionally or unintentionally. to say it's stupid and childish to let things beyond our control affect our feelings is completely ridiculous.

if the powers that be raise income taxes to 90% then i would get pretty passionate.
    All of your examples are things that impact you directly. How does one team putting a ball through a hoop more often than another affect you directly?

Jimmy Proffett

yeah facebook/sbr are major contributors to the whole "my life is so interesting that i have to tell everyone about it" mentality.

can't take this stuff too seriously.

the thing that really makes me laugh about facebook is people will post that they're going on a family vacation for 2 weeks. like an open invitation to rob their house.
    lol

Sometimes when I start bitching about facebook and twitter and stuff, it makes me think of this from The Simpsons

CTsharp
    CTsharp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Proffett View Post
    All of your examples are things that impact you directly. How does one team putting a ball through a hoop more often than another affect you directly?
    you must not be a real fan of a team if you cant even comprehend the emotion for even 1%...I cried when the Knicks lost in the 94 to the Rockets in the championship...maybe your too much the internet tough guy to judge that people shouldn't get emotional over a loss..and to say how does one team putting a ball through a hoop affect you directly is just as equal as THAT girlfriend that does not have a clue about sports that cant figure out why the hell men get so angry, upset, or pissed off over a sports game. Get over it...we are all wired differently, if thats not you, then thats you...but ive seen ALOT of people at bars, friends, family whatever get pretty mad about a favorite sports team. Dont act like its not there or this is some crazy thing out of mars.

Scrappy Do
    Lemmmeee at em... lemmmmmmmmeeee at em!
    Scrappy Do's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 503

Harsh.... Kid I feel ya man. Being an Arkansan, we have but a few things we represent. When we lose on a big stage it friggin sucks. We have no pro teams here, and we do worship our few college teams. Hell I have lost my voice several times saying WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOOOOOIIIIUUUUEE. What really sucks is losing to a f u c k i n g dirty a s s Ohio State when their a s s is busted for cheating, but they still let their b u l l s h i t as s e s s play anyway. At least you had a fair game. BTW, as an Arkansan I will tell you straight up, f u c k Kentucky and their fans. I have been to too many SEC Championships, and them f u c k e r s actually spit on folks walking out. F U C K Kentucky Basketball.

Jimbo'

Jimmy Proffett

Quote Originally Posted by CTsharp View Post
    you must not be a real fan of a team if you cant even comprehend the emotion for even 1%...I cried when the Knicks lost in the 94 to the Rockets in the championship...maybe your too much the internet tough guy to judge that people shouldn't get emotional over a loss..and to say how does one team putting a ball through a hoop affect you directly is just as equal as THAT girlfriend that does not have a clue about sports that cant figure out why the hell men get so angry, upset, or pissed off over a sports game. Get over it...we are all wired differently, if thats not you, then thats you...but ive seen ALOT of people at bars, friends, family whatever get pretty mad about a favorite sports team. Dont act like its not there or this is some crazy thing out of mars.

Of course I've seen people get insanely pissed off over sporting events. I have before. It's just when you step back and really think about it, why get upset over a game? It makes zero sense.

Let's take you for an example. I'm going to make some assumptions. Maybe they're not true about you, but I'm sure they pertain to some people. You said you got emotional when the Knicks lost the NBA Championship. Why are you a Knicks fan? Maybe you grew up in New York. Maybe your family had tickets to MSG for 20 years. Whatever.

Now say you were born in Calgary, Alberta. Would you be a Knicks fan? Why does proximity dictate what team you're passionate for? Wouldn't that be considered a pretty arbitrary reason to feel passionate for a team? Now if your father was Willis Reed, ok I understand why you feel a familiarity toward the Knicks.

Look, everytime I've brought up this argument about importance of sports, it gets into a weird area of "Why are sports so important in general? Isn't this just an elaborate way to keep everyone placated while the world gets worse around everyone....." then I find myself typing on a sports betting site while NHL Tonight is on my TV and wow am I a hypocrite for even doing this instead of reading newspapers and bettering my knowledge of the world? Then I feel shamed.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

too emotional to respond to several great posts right now, i'll sleep for a few days and respond then...

Scrappy Do
    Lemmmeee at em... lemmmmmmmmeeee at em!
    Scrappy Do's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 503

Of course I've seen people get insanely pissed off over sporting events. I have before. It's just when you step back and really think about it, why get upset over a game? It makes zero sense.

Let's take you for an example. I'm going to make some assumptions. Maybe they're not true about you, but I'm sure they pertain to some people. You said you got emotional when the Knicks lost the NBA Championship. Why are you a Knicks fan? Maybe you grew up in New York. Maybe your family had tickets to MSG for 20 years. Whatever.

Now say you were born in Calgary, Alberta. Would you be a Knicks fan? Why does proximity dictate what team you're passionate for? Wouldn't that be considered a pretty arbitrary reason to feel passionate for a team? Now if your father was Willis Reed, ok I understand why you feel a familiarity toward the Knicks.

Look, everytime I've brought up this argument about importance of sports, it gets into a weird area of "Why are sports so important in general? Isn't this just an elaborate way to keep everyone placated while the world gets worse around everyone....." then I find myself typing on a sports betting site while NHL Tonight is on my TV and wow am I a hypocrite for even doing this instead of reading newspapers and bettering my knowledge of the world? Then I feel shamed.
    Since I was a mere young buck my grandfather told me that sports are what lead to the decline of any major successful society. Granted, he had the Romans to back this theory. He also said that Homosexuality lead to their demise as well. Do we sense a trend?

CTsharp
    CTsharp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Like I said, we are all wired differently. I happen to be a very emotional person. I don't have so much a problem with someone thinking otherwise about sports, even so, your response to me. Its the problem I have with people bashing others who do get they way they do when there team loses or the heartbreak they face. Im sorry you feel the way they do but as with anything thats a part of my life, I put ALOT of time into watching, going to games and cheering on a team. I exhaust alot of my emotions into a sport and In basketball and baseball with all of the games its even more devoted then something as part time as football. I spend alot of time, a huge chunk of my life enjoying my team so yes, I am going to get emotional when there is a let down or dissapointment. And I wouldn't change it for the world. For many people sports is an escape or another side of life that people can turn too when other things get stressful or every day activities can be too much. We turn to them for an out, for excitement and enjoyment. So , i can respect how you handle things but thats you.
    Last edited by CTsharp; 04-01-12 at 12:45 AM.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by CTsharp View Post
    Like I said, we are all wired differently. I happen to be a very emotional person. I don't have so much a problem with someone thinking otherwise about sports, even so, your response to me. Its the problem I have with people bashing others who do get they way they do when there team loses or the heartbreak they face. Im sorry you feel the way they do but as with anything thats a part of my life, I put ALOT of time into watching, going to games and cheering on a team. I exhaust alot of my emotions into a sport and In basketball and baseball with all of the games its even more devoted then something as part time as football. I spend alot of time, a huge chunk of my life enjoying my team so yes, I am going to get emotional when there is a let down or dissapointment. And I wouldn't change it for the world. For many people sports is an escape or another side of life that people can turn too when other things get stressful or every day activities can be too much. We turn to them for an out, for excitement and enjoyment. So , i can respect how you handle things but thats you.

Pretty much me too.......Most of my good friends have Atleast 1 team in 1 sport they freak out over...It's not crazy or anything

I hate the argument of why do you care so much about a sports team.....my response is why care about anything then, all people have their passion in life and obviously for a lot of people it is a certain team

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10300

still waiting since 1977 for this to happen in milwaukee, but i guess the packers count somewhat

opie you pumped up about this stars/sharks game? i can't wait. too bad the fukking kings and coyotes are both winning

hang in there louisville kid, it was a heck of a run and like we say in milwaukee "there's always next year"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
    God Bless Al.....
    '77 at Atlanta Unlv, Marq, UNC and UNCC
    Great Tourney...

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Of course getting upset over the outcome of a game you have no bearing on makes no sense. No on can argue this point. Its absolute lunacy for grown men to be reduced to tears when their favorite team has a gut wrenching loss or a gigantic win......but I still do.

Its not something that we choose, its just something that is a part of us. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've told my wife/friends that I'm done with my fanatical devotion to certain teams. This is usually right after another heart breaking, gut wrenching loss. But then the off-season lingers on.....the seasons start to change....and once again you find yourself sucked back in by that all-consuming emotion - HOPE. This is the common denominator amongst all fanatical fans. We always have hope that THIS is the year our devotion is rewarded. This is the year that all the stars align just for us. Our superstars all stay healthy. Our quarterback/pitcher/goalie/point guard all have the year we've believed all along they were capable of.....and we win it all.

The thing is.....if you don't have the type of love affair with a sports team that brings you to tears when you're team suffers a devastating loss, you'll never know the type of sheer, unadulterated joy that comes from finally winning it all. I'm talking tears of joy. About hugging every other guy anywhere near you. About taking the next few days off work just so you can soak in all that comes with a championship. Spending hundreds of dollars buying all that "championship gear" crap that gets advertised on tv incessantly right after the big game. This is what it's all about. These are the moments that you suffer for.

I know it all sounds ridiculous. But I love my teams. Always have, always will. Either you get it, or you don't.
    Points Awarded:

Louisvillekid1 gave opie1988 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Louisvillekid1

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Opie too many words son

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

The state of Kentucky cares about only 1 team. It sure as fukk ain't Louisville.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Crying here, begging the UFC to let u fight again, pathetic.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Of course getting upset over the outcome of a game you have no bearing on makes no sense. No on can argue this point. Its absolute lunacy for grown men to be reduced to tears when their favorite team has a gut wrenching loss or a gigantic win......but I still do.

Its not something that we choose, its just something that is a part of us. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've told my wife/friends that I'm done with my fanatical devotion to certain teams. This is usually right after another heart breaking, gut wrenching loss. But then the off-season lingers on.....the seasons start to change....and once again you find yourself sucked back in by that all-consuming emotion - HOPE. This is the common denominator amongst all fanatical fans. We always have hope that THIS is the year our devotion is rewarded. This is the year that all the stars align just for us. Our superstars all stay healthy. Our quarterback/pitcher/goalie/point guard all have the year we've believed all along they were capable of.....and we win it all.

The thing is.....if you don't have the type of love affair with a sports team that brings you to tears when you're team suffers a devastating loss, you'll never know the type of sheer, unadulterated joy that comes from finally winning it all. I'm talking tears of joy. About hugging every other guy anywhere near you. About taking the next few days off work just so you can soak in all that comes with a championship. Spending hundreds of dollars buying all that "championship gear" crap that gets advertised on tv incessantly right after the big game. This is what it's all about. These are the moments that you suffer for.

I know it all sounds ridiculous. But I love my teams. Always have, always will. Either you get it, or you don't.
    as a lifelong pats fan...and season ticket holder....i cant even explain the feeling i had when vinatieri knocked that fg against the rams....it was my first title in adulthood....im a sox fan too...and the sox are most of new englands first love....2004 was amazing....but the pats pulling the upset was just unreal and still trumps 2004 to me.....i watched it at a huge party at my boys school.....there was like 6 of us literally jumping into a frenzied pig pile....just hugging each other...i caught several accidental elbows in the face....we went out and drank our faces off.....i was a total mess at the bar...throwing darts into random walls/doors....i woke up at 5pm the next day.....ill never forget that day as long as i live.....years of caring and watching when most didnt want to....it all paid off

First 12