muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    Trailer parks are normal in U.S cities. Wondering if you guys had a similar real estate boom when we did. Housing was pretty insane for a while there.
    Banks are much more tightly regulated - so you didn't see the crazy "Hey you work for Taco Bell, here's a $450k mortgage" boom.

No banks were bailed out either.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4146

Damn impressive!

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

Trailer parks are normal in U.S cities. Wondering if you guys had a similar real estate boom when we did. Housing was pretty insane for a while there.
    From where I've been in Canada trailer parks are not all that common in Canadian cities. You'll find a lot of smaller homes in the small towns along the highway but you won't see too many trailer parks.

I'm too young to know about the real estate boom. However, I do know that in Ontario (and most provinces) you cannot buy 'Crown Land' any longer. Crown Land is simply land that no one owns so it is property of the government. I've been curious, can you buy land in the US that no one owns?

It sorta bothers me that there is so much good land where I live that cannot be purchased by the average joe. Only extremely large companies can buy huge parcels for mining/foresting etc. Of course they pay shitloads with restrictions but in their eyes they know it's profitable.

benjy
    Untitled
    benjy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

If Obama were to run for parliament in Canada he'd likely be running as a Conservative. Well, based on his track record more than what he's said.

Like his supporters of 3 years ago most people I talk to were very hopeful at the start of his term and are now left disappointed.

VegasRandy
    VegasRandy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Does Canada have a lot of manufacturing jobs? Are your shelves full of things that are made in China?

High3rEl3m3nt

Quote Originally Posted by hels View Post
    I'm too young to know about the real estate boom. However, I do know that in Ontario (and most provinces) you cannot buy 'Crown Land' any longer. Crown Land is simply land that no one owns so it is property of the government. I've been curious, can you buy land in the US that no one owns?
    Not too different here. In Utah, the Federal government owns a ridiculous amount of land. What sucks about this is that the Federal government has talked about selling this land, which is not necessarily a good thing...really depends on the situation and land in question. On this land, it's public access...I do some upland bird hunting on it and I go shooting there on the regular.

Pretty much all land in the U.S. has a name attached to it.

ToPHeR
    ToPHeR's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1917

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I got into it wIth this hot liberal whore in downtown Detroit earlier this year on politics. She was attending Wayne St Law and was from Windsor.

She LOVED Obama and didn't like conservatives very much.
    1. She's a whore
    2. She went to Detroit for law school

Enough said

hels

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRandy View Post
    Does Canada have a lot of manufacturing jobs? Are your shelves full of things that are made in China?
    Walmart is beginning to takeover (so yes, made in China is more common). I have seen many mom n pop shops close where I live.

I am assuming by 'manufacturing jobs' you are referring to secondary jobs (primary=resources, secondary=building, tertiary=selling). Yes, there are still many secondary jobs in Canada; however, they are on the decline. Paper/Steel plants where I live have been hurting over the recent years.

benjy
    Untitled

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRandy View Post
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: VegasRandy

hels

Not too different here. In Utah, the Federal government owns a ridiculous amount of land. What sucks about this is that the Federal government has talked about selling this land, which is not necessarily a good thing...really depends on the situation and land in question. On this land, it's public access...I do some upland bird hunting on it and I go shooting there on the regular.

Pretty much all land in the U.S. has a name attached to it.
    I understand what you're saying.

It is great to have land that everyone has access too. I hope we all have access to the natural beauty infront of us It's just that there is such prime land on lakes to build cottages that is not available.

I'm ranting right now and I'm sorry being off topic about American politics. You know what I was hoping for during the Occupy Protests? I really wanted a new political party to form. It was a great opportunity to start. The occupy movements have had near minimal long term effect. Something needs to change.

jerry
    jerry's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 442

Canadian here,
    The pipeline was shut down because Obama did not want to upset the environmentalists, who make up a part of his base, before the election. After the election, regardless of who wins, the pipeline will go through.

Canadians have a sense of moral superiority over the Americans. In reality, our cultures aren't much different. Maybe we drink more beer.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Quote Originally Posted by hels View Post
    Sadly, our top beer, Molson Canadian, is brewed in America

at us

Pretty sure they brew beer here 5 blocks from my house.

High3rEl3m3nt

I would have thought that Canada would be the land of the micro brew. Guess it's more of an Oregon and Washington trend. Wyoming and Montana makes some great micro brews too.

In Utah, there's a lot of potential, but these damn politicians are f'ing with the industry and restaurants' livelihoods. Just passed a law that you cannot offer reduced prices for alcohol during happy hour. Unreal.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    Canadian here,
    The pipeline was shut down because Obama did not want to upset the environmentalists, who make up a part of his base, before the election. After the election, regardless of who wins, the pipeline will go through.

Canadians have a sense of moral superiority over the Americans. In reality, our cultures aren't much different. Maybe we drink more beer.
    This is the general consensus. It will get done

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8504

Quote Originally Posted by frizzelli View Post
    Stephen Harper who is our leader is a horrible prime minister and i cant wait till he is out of power.
    he's one of the best we've had

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Canada loved obama
    They wish he ran their country
    We are lucky to have him as ours
    totally false. Everyone I speak to in Canada thinks he is a moron. They are right.

sickler
    Facade 101

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    totally false. Everyone I speak to in Canada thinks he is a moron. They are right.
    The crowd cheered when he strolled down the Byward Market during one of his visits to the capital. He could have spent hours waving non-stop

Politics aside, people like him

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by sickler View Post
    The crowd cheered when he strolled down the Byward Market during one of his visits to the capital. He could have spent hours waving non-stop

Politics aside, people like him

politics aside I like him also. His politics are dreadful. A lot of the American culture is based on the looks rather than substance. Canadians are are no different. The news biased media up north has been overwhelmingly left wing for decades with the CBC and CTV. It's just on a smaller scale than the US. Hopefully with FOX finally being broadcast in Canada, things will change.

sickler
    Facade 101

politics aside I like him also. His politics are dreadful. A lot of the American culture is based on the looks rather than substance. Canadians are are no different. The news biased media up north has been overwhelmingly left wing for decades with the CBC and CTV. It's just on a smaller scale than the US. Hopefully with FOX finally being broadcast in Canada, things will change.
    Dwight, do you not get Sun News Network? Extreme right wing

DwightShrute

Dwight, do you not get Sun News Network? Extreme right wing
    finally Canadian's get the other side of the news

sickler
    Facade 101

finally Canadian's get the other side of the news
    I've been watching it for months. Those folks put on a good show, especially Ezra Levant.

sickler
    Facade 101

This one is fukkin' funny.

My Little Pony. Ezra slums Justin Trudeau after Trudeau called someone a "piece of shit" in the house of commons.

DwightShrute

I don't see it down here in Costa Rica but that was a good clip. proves my point. Thanks for sharing bro.

sickler
    Facade 101

I don't see it down here in Costa Rica but that was a good clip. proves my point. Thanks for sharing bro.
    Oh I didn't know where you live. I assumed Canada. Yes I'm guilty of not reading entire threads before replying, my bad if you mentioned that you don't live in the Great White North.

We don't only have pro-Liberal networks over here

DwightShrute

Oh I didn't know where you live. I assumed Canada. Yes I'm guilty of not reading entire threads before replying, my bad if you mentioned that you don't live in the Great White North.

We don't only have pro-Liberal networks over here

I grew up in Canada. Left in 2003 and when I did, pro-liberal networks was all we had. Mind you, being a liberal in Canada isn't nearly as bad as being one in the US. I still visit quite often.

DwightShrute

benjy
    Untitled

^
    I really like that one (Even if it is unfair comparing a protest to a parade).

sickler
    Facade 101

We just have to keep them from seeing the cellblock vids of cops beating prisoners

muldoon

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    Canadian here,
    The pipeline was shelved because the State Department is NOT ABLE to issue permits without an agreed upon route by each State.

Nebraska could not agree upon their route. It worked out great politically for Obama, but blame Nebraska for not putting Obama's feet to the fire. They gave him an out.

And yes, it'll still go through.

sickler
    Facade 101

BTW, Dwight, Shari and other Canucks who have been away for a long time and don't follow things over here:

Justin Trudeau, who called the environment minister a piece of shit is the son of the most famous Prime Minister ever in Canada, Pierre Trudeau. Y'all probably know that but you have been gone a long time.

Who can forget the pic of Trudeau doing a pirouette behind Queen Elizabeth's back. Classic!

DwightShrute

and giving the finger to British Columbians I will never forget

sickler
    Facade 101

and giving the finger to British Columbians I will never forget
    He sure was a character. We need more controversial figures like him to get Canada noticed.

Disrespecting the Queen in her presence. How many world leaders would have the balls?

benjy
    Untitled

Why the heck would Canada care, or want, to be noticed?

If that we're our biggest concern we'd merely elect the Rhinoceros Party.

sickler
    Facade 101

Quote Originally Posted by benjy View Post
    Why the heck would Canada care, or want, to be noticed?

If that we're our biggest concern we'd merely elect the Rhinoceros Party.
    You don't get fed up with Canada being the great unknown internationally?

Many folks think we all live in igloos.

muldoon

You don't get fed up with Canada being the great unknown internationally?

Many folks think we all live in igloos.
    Good.

If people think that - they're obviously ignorant. Best they stay away.

First 1234 Last