Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

The way to do an exchange is by players for players. No fees. Would require: easy money transfers in and out, a few folks to post the lines, and programmers. Income through advertiser links. SBR could be nicely positioned to set this up. There is no reason anymore why we as players shouldn't be able to bet without paying juice. The internet and advertising money have made it so. The need for a middle man is gone. All that is required is a platform.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    The way to do an exchange is by players for players. No fees. Would require: easy money transfers in and out, a few folks to post the lines, and programmers. Income through advertiser links. SBR could be nicely positioned to set this up. There is no reason anymore why we as players shouldn't be able to bet without paying juice. The internet and advertising money have made it so. The need for a middle man is gone. All that is required is a platform.

Darker their is zero market for it in the USA other than bonus scammers and arbers and you cannot build an exchange with those two types.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

It would only be players money. No other money at risk. Popularity and liquidity would be based on zero juice. Platform would make money through advertising. Everybody happy. And platform can be dramatically improved with just a GTC feature (Good til canceled) that includes live action. At TS I would let offers open ten minutes into basketball games and get incredible odds, because many people want out when their team falls behind 5 pts early.

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Fees have to be done to pay the line makers and programmers, don't be silly!

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Advertising income per number of visitors is a little more than you think.

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Darker their is zero market for it in the USA other than bonus scammers and arbers and you cannot build an exchange with those two types.
    Bonus scanners/arbers with domestic sharps = a great mix

brettels

Advertising income per number of visitors is a little more than you think.
    what about the customer service employees added to that!! Paying all these people to make this thing work would cost more than you think

brettels

And no one wants external advertising on their betting site, it looks cheap and ugly!

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

You may want to do your homework before commenting on the advertising money. As to cheap and ugly looking, you may have heard of Facebook.

Anyway, I didn't suggest this to get into some sort of silly back and forth argument. Merely a suggestion to solve the liquidity problem that has plagued exchanges.

brettels

Hey you are entitled to your opinion! My opinion though is comparing advertising on Facebook to what it would be like advertising on a betting portal well it just would work in my opinion!

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

You objected to advertising as a source of income. Obviously, it wouldn't have to be remotely close to the number of Facebook visitors to cover the small overhead you previously brought up.

Monte
    Monte's Avatar Become A Pro!

JJ (and others) it isn't true that MB had no liquidity in it's prime time.
    I know where you are coming from, but i used them lots and had no problems getting stuff (mainly arbs) matched.
    It was not all self seeded back then, nope sir. Friend of mine made rather big offers there, and i would guess others did as well.

There would be a market for this in the US too, we all know the problem with your goverment thou..
    and there are more ppl from Europe interested in US sports than you would think, and we are not too stupid to use exchanges

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

JJ is correct about exchanges in the US
    Players here see things through the spectrum of SBR and the other forums
    when it comes to real players moving real money-players who's vig starts at a dime a wager
    50% + don't have a clue about laying anything less than -110 much less trying to explain why they should go to an exchange
    They understand why they should establish credit with Pinnacle agent for reduced juice but it does come with some explanation
    The first question you get is how do they make any money at less than -110
    I.E. THEY DON'T TRUST ANYTHING NEW

Will this change as they die off
    Yes

Is their an opportunity in the future-Yes
    Do you trust any of the books/owners in that 4th world rat hole to be competent enough to get it to work
    Well 6 years removed and they still haven't figured out how to replace e-wallets

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Even at it's height (before the trader unfriendly change to the commission structure), Matchbook did not have enough 'regular Joe' bettors to make it viable in the long run. How much of this was due to poor marketing and how much was the midset of US players, I don't know.

Even in high profile NFL and NBA matchups, I would often have competitive front of the queue offers sit there untouched (or barely touched) unless/until there was a line move at Pinny. In a truly liquid exchange those offers would be nibbled at in lots of USD 110 or USD 440.

An exchange needs its sharks but it also needs there to be many more fish.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

An exchange in the us will only happen if the government lets it. Would be amazing.

How in the hell has Betfair not put William Hill, Ladbrokes, and Coral Group out of business? The fact that they have not moved all of these companies out of the sports betting industry has to mean they are not doing everything they can, right? It seems that in an ideal market without excessive government intervention places like Betfair or Pinnacle would be profitable and everyone else would be......

Can someone explain to me why anyone would play at these other books if you had access to Betfair and Pinnacle

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    An exchange in the us will only happen if the government lets it. Would be amazing.

How in the hell has Betfair not put William Hill, Ladbrokes, and Coral Group out of business? The fact that they have not moved all of these companies out of the sports betting industry has to mean they are not doing everything they can, right? It seems that in an ideal market without excessive government intervention places like Betfair or Pinnacle would be profitable and everyone else would be......

Can someone explain to me why anyone would play at these other books if you had access to Betfair and Pinnacle
    You just need to walk into one of their shops to get some insight on that.

Guys in there:

Feeding GBP 20 notes into the video slots terminals.
    "Studying" form for their 8 team soccer parlay (with 10% bonus if it hits) on Saturday
    Complaining that jockey xyz is obviously "on the take" after screwing them over in the last race, again.

They don't 'get' exchanges, don't understand decimal odds, would rather have cash in their hands after a win and would bet the favourite in a race regardless if it was 11/8 or 8/11.

There will always be people who think this way.

SonnyCrockett
    SonnyCrockett's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post

Bf have really bad odds on most stuff its mostly useful for traders and livebetting. I have bet close to 500 bets in jan on soccer and tennis and betfair didnt have highest odds or even close on a single bet and thats before 5% commission.

RickySteve
    SBR is a criminal organization
    RickySteve's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 187

It would also profit from the float and insider market information.

BTW, congrats on the first post you've ever made that didn't make me want to beat your head in with a shovel.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by RickySteve View Post
    It would also profit from the float and insider market information.

BTW, congrats on the first post you've ever made that didn't make me want to beat your head in with a shovel.
    You still need a trusted party, dare I say intermediary, to hold player funds and ensure there is a level playing field.
    Last edited by FourLengthsClear; 01-25-12 at 01:00 AM.

QQPALLADIUM
    QQPALLADIUM's Avatar Become A Pro!

with john delaney at the top of mt everest and intrade charging only $5 per month (sounds like a ponzi imo) i am sure you could buy the old tradesports platform on the cheap....

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

It's not a bad idea, but there are a few issues..

1) Start-up capital until ad revenue starts paying out -- both in terms of critical mass and in terms of the payment cycles.
    2) Ad revenue is a lot lower than it used to be, most platforms (AdWords etc) are virulently anti-gambling, and gambling revenue (sites/forums) would be minimal..
    3) If no fees you'd need sensible withdrawal caps (monthly?). Weekly or worse withdrawals at 2%+ would quickly eat through any ad revenue gained.

Wonder if Ganchrow still owns the rights to his platform or if Blackie owns it and isn't using it..

therushishere
    therushishere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 990

Quote Originally Posted by Santo View Post
    Wonder if Ganchrow still owns the rights to his platform or if Blackie owns it and isn't using it..
    Anyone know anything about this?

First 1234