brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

People Who Still Say Kobe is a Top 3 Player

I'm sorry but what the hell are you smoking???

There's not a GM on this planet earth who would take Kobe over Wade, Lebron, Durant, Dwight Howard or Derrick Rose (that's your real top 5 list)

Kobe had his lowest scoring season in about 5 years last season and his athleticism has been in steady decline now for the last few years. This is a 32 year old player whose really more like 35-36 in basketball years (considering he's been playing for about 15 years). Kobe is still a top 10 player in the league but we'll see how much age catches up to him in the next few years

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Okay so he's 6th best right now even as an old guy....big deal still impressive.

By the way he's top 10 NBA All-Time history.

chantrain
    chantrain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I'd take Dirk over Kobe too.

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

still top 6-8

he is old. of course any gm would take wade and a handful of other guys

will be very interesting to see how he looks this yr. definitely lost a step and a half last year.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    I'm sorry but what the hell are you smoking??? There's not a GM on this planet earth who would take Kobe over Wade, Lebron, Durant, Dwight Howard or Derrick Rose (that's your real top 5 list) Kobe had his lowest scoring season in about 5 years last season and his athleticism has been in steady decline now for the last few years. This is a 32 year old player whose really more like 35-36 in basketball years (considering he's been playing for about 15 years). Kobe is still a top 10 player in the league but we'll see how much age catches up to him in the next few years
    And 1 ring with all those players combined

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    And 1 ring with all those players combined
    Kobe only has 2 now. Vanessa gets 3 of them.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: upscope

chantrain
    chantrain's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kobe is a winner, that can't be overlooked. Thats why I still refuse to rank Melo ahead of him.

But there's also no denying that Kobe is on the decline. Last year his stats were almost identical to Derrick Rose's. Think about that. D.Rose was the #1 option on his team, sole ballhandler and creator, the finisher, was required to not only score but also create for team mates...and his stats were almost identical to Kobe's...who is only asked to score and who plays next to a bunch of all stars.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

If you sat down and looked at guys he probably wouldnt make the top 10 of an unbiased list. At least as of right now. Think Clippers would trade Blake Griffen or Chris Paul for Kobe straight up? At this stage of his career? So if you factor in pro-rated value he probably isnt in the top 20. I think Griffen is better than Kobe already but going forward it isnt even close.

As far as Kobe being a 'winner' without Shaq he was Allen Iverson, it wasnt until he got Gasol before they started turning it around again. And then they had to add another piece to get that next ring.

Kobe may be the most over rated player in the history of the NBA. He has the rings no doubt but he didnt get any of those without other solid all star and hall of fame caliber players surrounding him. Put any other guy on those teams and they probably get a ring too.

Of all the games they have had in the finals I dont remember any where Kobe was the reason they won, at least to a degree where you could look at a moment where he delivered. I sure can remember a bunch where he shot them out of the game or ball hogged them to a loss.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

i have to agree, kobe has been slipping the last couple years

zsr
    zsr's Avatar Become A Pro!

I haven't seen anyone say he's a top 3 player he's 32-33 years old, of course he's not as good as he was, he's still crafty and can score in the post which will keep him going. He needs to start to let Bynum and pau run the show though.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Greatest player in the league. Please don't mistake actual form with greatness.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I say still a top 15 player

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

I'd say he's easily still number 1.

Djstucky
    Djstucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 454

Vanessa said he was still a player however she didn't rank him...
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: NYSportsGuy210

Djstucky
    Djstucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 454

I personally have never liked Bryant...the guy is a great talent Amd one of the better players of all time...I have to agree with brahma here...last season really exploited his age...battling injuries and personal drama...I would take a few other guys in my top 5...

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

brama i'm 11-71 in nfl this year, i'm hurt

PAI
    PAI's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kobe is no longer among the top 3. However he is among the better players in the league. I still have him in the top 10. I just read in this post he needed Shaq and Gasol to win titles. Really? Who wins by themselves? Jordan didn't win those rings by himself. Granted he played the biggest role. What did Wade do after Shaq? Two stars and solid role players seems to be the formula. I am a Kobe fan because I root for consistent winners. Most of his years in the league, he was contending for titles.
    Points Awarded:

paco gave PAI 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

1. Lebron
    2. Howard
    3. Nowitzki
    4. Durant
    5. Williams

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

you know your getting old if kobe is almost out of the league,i dont see him just sticking around, i say next year is his last year and he will retire

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    you know your getting old if kobe is almost out of the league,i dont see him just sticking around, i say next year is his last year and he will retire
    Kobe's not retiring until he holds the all-time scoring record.....or injury whichever comes first.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Quote Originally Posted by PAI View Post
    Kobe is no longer among the top 3. However he is among the better players in the league. I still have him in the top 10. I just read in this post he needed Shaq and Gasol to win titles. Really? Who wins by themselves? Jordan didn't win those rings by himself. Granted he played the biggest role. What did Wade do after Shaq? Two stars and solid role players seems to be the formula. I am a Kobe fan because I root for consistent winners. Most of his years in the league, he was contending for titles.
    Well said.

No one can win it by themselves.

Even Jordan needed Pippen who is ranked top 50 all time nba player. An the competition today is 10x better than in the Jordan era.

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

Quote Originally Posted by wantitall4moi View Post
    If you sat down and looked at guys he probably wouldnt make the top 10 of an unbiased list. At least as of right now. Think Clippers would trade Blake Griffen or Chris Paul for Kobe straight up? At this stage of his career? So if you factor in pro-rated value he probably isnt in the top 20. I think Griffen is better than Kobe already but going forward it isnt even close.

As far as Kobe being a 'winner' without Shaq he was Allen Iverson, it wasnt until he got Gasol before they started turning it around again. And then they had to add another piece to get that next ring.

Kobe may be the most over rated player in the history of the NBA. He has the rings no doubt but he didnt get any of those without other solid all star and hall of fame caliber players surrounding him. Put any other guy on those teams and they probably get a ring too.

Of all the games they have had in the finals I dont remember any where Kobe was the reason they won, at least to a degree where you could look at a moment where he delivered. I sure can remember a bunch where he shot them out of the game or ball hogged them to a loss.
    More Laker hating from you. Kobe compared to Iverson Kobe most overrated player of all-time Lakers a lottery
    team this year

The last decade must have been very long & very painful for you watching the Lakers & Kobe dominate??

allabout the $$$
    Update your status
    allabout the $$$'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26835

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post

An the competition today is 10x better than in the Jordan era.
    cmon paco how can u make that statement? look how many top 50 all nba guys played in the jordan era

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

not even in my top 5

allabout the $$$
    Update your status

i would put kobe in the 10 - 15 range but last possession 30 secs left off or def i will take kobe with the ball in his hands or guarding the ball over anyone in the nba right now

for the record im a knick fan not a laker fan

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by allabout the $$$ View Post
    cmon paco how can u make that statement? look how many top 50 all nba guys played in the jordan era
    Because that list was made before. A lot of those guys would be replaced by players today. Lebron and Wade are both future top 15 players in NBA history, and Kobe is already a top 5 player in NBA history as far as I'm concerned. Dirk is a top 50 player 100%.

I think what Paco meant is that Jordan's path to 6 championships wasn't as difficult as it would be if he played in the league today. Jordan himself admitted he wished he got to play against Kobe in his prime. Because there really wasn't anyone on Jordan's level during that era.

Romocide
    Romocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3108

Kobe is nowhere near top 3 anymore but, if he had gotten D12 this year , he would have added another ring to his collection.

allabout the $$$
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post

Because that list was made before. A lot of those guys would be replaced by players today. Lebron and Wade are both future top 15 players in NBA history, and Kobe is already a top 5 player in NBA history as far as I'm concerned. Dirk is a top 50 player 100%.

I think what Paco meant is that Jordan's path to 6 championships wasn't as difficult as it would be if he played in the league today. Jordan himself admitted he wished he got to play against Kobe in his prime. Because there really wasn't anyone on Jordan's level during that era.
    he did have to go thru ewing, reggie miller, barkley, stockton, malone, olajuwon,drexler,isiah thomas,shaq

i mean lets call it the way it is the first dream deam would destroy any of these othere teams and these are all of the players jordan had to go against to make it to the finals and win

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Ask the same question to every GM about who they want for 1 important game and Kobe tops the list. This is coming from a Celtics fan.

Go back to picking 13 point teasers.

allabout the $$$
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Ask the same question to every GM about who they want for 1 important game and Kobe tops the list. This is coming from a Celtics fan.

Go back to picking 13 point teasers.
    this

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    1. Lebron
    2. Howard
    3. Nowitzki
    4. Durant
    5. Williams

Williams over Rose??? Wtf are you smoking??

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post

I'll take both dirk over kobe by a big margin

When has Kobe ever carried a team with zero superstars to a title like Dirk did last year??? When has kobe ever dominated an entire postseason like Dirk did last year???

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by allabout the $$$ View Post

he did have to go thru ewing, reggie miller, barkley, stockton, malone, olajuwon,drexler,isiah thomas,shaq

i mean lets call it the way it is the first dream deam would destroy any of these othere teams and these are all of the players jordan had to go against to make it to the finals and win

True but honestly when its all said and done none of those above mentioned guys will go down as better players than Bryant James or Wade. The one that might- only maybe- would be shaq. Jordan never really went through Shaq in his prime anyway.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post

When has Kobe ever carried a team with zero superstars to a title like Dirk did last year??? When has kobe ever dominated an entire postseason like Dirk did last year???
    How old are you? You know when the Lakers 3 peated with Shaq? Go back to those years when the Lakers were playing the Blazers, the Suns, and the Spurs and check who was hitting buzzer beaters during the playoffs like it was nothing. Dirk had a bunch of good players on his team. Don't bother arguing with me about these types of topics.

zsr
    zsr's Avatar Become A Pro!

They were allowed to play defense in the Jordan era too though..that's a foolish discussion anyway though because obviously Jordan is the greatest of all time and no one has come close. Lebron was supposed to and now it looks like he'll barely make the top 10 all time.

12 Last