QuangX
    QuangX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6668

Okay, I Need advice from older people..

I don't know if this is the best place to be asking but, I am currently attending Community College. I have been there for 2 years and after this semester it would be 2.5 years. My GPA is 2.67, I want to become a doctor. School is not difficult for me, I can learn certain subject faster than others. However, I am very un-motivated, and distracted.( gambling, video games, bitches, making money). This term, I made a huge mistake by getting a temporarily full-time job. It ****** up my class schedule up( Ended up missing class), I was taking Chem 1B, College BIO 2A, and Pre-calculus. I am probably going to end up dropping all the classes because I am failing.

I pay for all my tuition fees, My parents just helps me with housing. I don't know how to answer to my parents. At this rate, I cannot leave until next year. Going to a State college( due to my GPA). What advice can you give me. Ill be turning 21 December. I know I am behind.

My Conselor said I still need to take the following class in Order to Transfer for my Major

Chem 1B
    Bio 2A
    Bio 2B
    Physics 1A
    physics 2B
    Calculus 1
    Organic CHem 20A
    Organic Chem 20B

I doubt I can complete this within a one year period.....

BEANTOWNJIM
    I GRIN WHEN I WIN
    BEANTOWNJIM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

QUANG OBVIOUSLY YOUR A CHINESE KID AND THE PARENTS HAVE HIGH EXPECTATIONS OF YOU.LOOK AT THE F-CKING SUBJECTS YOUR TAKING QUANG YOUR WAY OVER YOUR HEAD.YOU HAVE TO GET BACK TO REALITY

CHEM
    BIO
    PHYSICS
    CALCULAS
    ORGANIC CHEM

WHAT THE F-CK QUANG THESE SUBJECTS ARE FOR ROCKET SCEINTISTS NOT SOME DUMBELL HANGING AROUND IN THE SBR FORUM.IN MY OPINION YOU HAVE TO LIGHTEN THE LOAD AND TAKE CLASSES LIKE THESE

BOWLING 1B
    PHYS ED 2A
    COMMUNICATIONS 123
    POLITICAL SCIENCE 12

QUANG JUST TELL YOUR PARENTS IT WAS THERE FAULT THEY MUST HAVE DROPPED YOU AS A KID OR MAYBE THEY WERE FEEDING YOU LEAD PAINT CHIPS ALWAYS BLAME YOUR PARENTS FOR YOUR OWN FAILURES.I LOVE THIS KID QUANG HE TAKES COURSES MEANT FOR DOCTORS AND HE'S ASKING FOR ADVICE FROM A FORUM FULL OF NIT WITS WICH HALF PROBABLY DIDNT GRADUATE FROM HIGH SCHOOL ASK JJGOLD WHAT HE THINKS HE LOOKS LIKE A SMART GUY

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

why wouldnt you be able to complete these? looks like (2) 12hr semesters plus lab time...

i would concentrate more on making A's for the rest of my schooling or else even getting into med school will be tough i believe... simply tell your parents that the classes you are taking for your major are tougher than most and require a bit more study and that anything below an A in these courses is unacceptable (i assume they already know how shitty your gpa is)..also, if you can, go back and take over a few of the classes that you fukked up in...i believe they average the two grades together...at least they did when i was in college...

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

fking CLASSIC

QuangX
    QuangX's Avatar SBR PRO

Well you guys have live life longer than I have. If you can't help me mentally, Probably spiritually?

I'm already wrestling for the school, So i don't need PE. Already finish all those elective course my freshman year.

raydog

ahahah that is some of the funniest stuff ive read here in a while jimbo...good shit

QuangX
    QuangX's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by raydog View Post
    why wouldnt you be able to complete these? looks like (2) 12hr semesters plus lab time...

i would concentrate more on making A's for the rest of my schooling or else even getting into med school will be tough i believe... simply tell your parents that the classes you are taking for your major are tougher than most and require a bit more study and that anything below an A in these courses is unacceptable (i assume they already know how shitty your gpa is)..also, if you can, go back and take over a few of the classes that you fukked up in...i believe they average the two grades together...at least they did when i was in college...
    The ****** up thing in my Community College is that you cannot retake C. That is why my GPA is so low.... I just don't want my parents looking at me as a failure.

raydog

Quote Originally Posted by QuangX View Post
    Well you guys have live life longer than I have. If you can't help me mentally, Probably spiritually?

I'm already wrestling for the school, So i don't need PE. Already finish all those elective course my freshman year.
    yes, i believe ole beantownjim can give some great spiritual advice to a young buddhist as well... ...common quang, you are really reaching now

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Dude, like JIM said you sound way over your head, schools just don't churn out doctors, you got to want it. That means no distractions, school first, second and third. You basically have no life for 6-8 years but it pays off if you are able to make it through.

Maybe sit down with your parents and be honest and tell them it's not for you. With that GPA as it is, not sure you would get into medical school.

Bbr
    Bbr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 414

Why are those courses so hard? Can you not just do easier ones and get a better GPA then transfer into MBBS?

Bbr

Like others have stated MBBS is not easy to get into. You may even consider finishing off a degree (do something your good at to lift your GPA) and then transfer. You need to work with your strengths and never do something you do not want to do because you will regret it the rest of your life and BOOOOOM!

Midlife crisis...

excel
    unapproved
    excel's Avatar Become A Pro!

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Sounds like you may have too much natural intelligence for your own good. I bet you've been able to cruise through school without trying too hard as a kid. You've just reached an awful moment in life when natural talent without effort won't get you by.

Don't worry though. Actually trying isn't near as hard as it might feel beforehand. And you still won't have to try as hard as many others. So just pull your socks up and do it!

excel
    unapproved
    excel's Avatar Become A Pro!

BEANTOWNJIM
    I GRIN WHEN I WIN
    BEANTOWNJIM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

QUANG THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS LETS SAY YOU DO SOME HOW BECOME A DOCTOR I KNOW THE odds ARE STACKED AGAINST YOU BUT IF YOU DO BEAT THE ODDS AND YOU LOOK DOWN AT YOUR PATIENT SHEET AND YOU SEE THE NAME BEANTOWNJIM DO ME A FAVOR DONT TOUCH ME I DONT WANT SOME FLUNKIE OPERATING ON ME.REMEMBER MY NAME QUANG BEANTOWNJIM YOU ARE UNDER STRICT RULES DONT TOUCH ME OR I WILL SUE YOU AND THE HOSPITAL.AND QUANG I DO HAVE A JEW LAWYER ALSO WWW.BARRYFEINSTEIN.COM I WILL SUE YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU GOT

IT WOULD BE JUST MY LUCK TO GET A FLUNKIE FROM THE SBR FORUM AS MY DOCTOR ALL MY LIFE THE ODDS HAVE BEEN AGAINST ME QUANG DONT TOUCH ME I WILL SUE YOU KID
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: AribaAriba, and dfberger23

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

hit 60% over 500 plays are your parents are bound to be proud of you

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by hawley View Post
    hit 60% over 500 plays are your parents are bound to be proud of you
    I doubt it. Money is not priority to some.

QuangX
    QuangX's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Sounds like you may have too much natural intelligence for your own good. I bet you've been able to cruise through school without trying too hard as a kid. You've just reached an awful moment in life when natural talent without effort won't get you by.

Don't worry though. Actually trying isn't near as hard as it might feel beforehand. And you still won't have to try as hard as many others. So just pull your socks up and do it!

I am not trying to flatter myself or nothing but, In High School that was my story. I passed the High School Exam Freshman Year. Finished most of my AP classes and other classes by Jr year and was a tri- athlete. (Football, Wrestling, Track and Fields) However, Now in the real world (college and life) is a bit difficult. I have to come up with my own money to pay for school, and I actually have to read the book in order to get a Passing grade. It just been a great awakening for me. However, I have yet to feel the urgency to stick my heads into the book. 2.67 as Jr is still pullable to a 3.0. Theoretically, I can get to a 3.00 with two terms of 3.75 GPA.

I have a few buddies in high school right now who went to a different community college and they have 3.5 GPA right now, But all the classes they were taking were P.E, Elective, and minor science class.( pre-bio, pre-chem) I kind of regret not doing so....

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Jim

jrbacon
    jrbacon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2095

I am in med school and I can tell you right now even if you bring up your gpa you're not going to get in med school with a 3.0 ...you're competing for a 1st round of cuts just to get offered a 2nd application based entirely on gpa and mcat alone. Just because they say in the application that they accept grades as low as 3.0 doesn't mean they want them. Think about it, say 10,000 people apply to a program, they offer 2nd apps to a 1/3 and interviews to maybe 500. You think they want the bottom of the barrel from all those picks? Also you're going to have to retake all those classes at a 4 year university if you expect any school to care about the grade you received, so don't bother taking them now. I took 1 semester of physics over the summer at a community college and when I went to talk to the admissions director he basically laughed in my face and told me I needed to retake this. Doing poorly in those classes makes you look even worse because they aren't as hard even if you aren't giving your all. That was part of the reason I tried to get away with taking it there, I knew that subject was hard for me and it was a breeze at CC.
    Also, if you think they are going to give a f@#$ that you're some kind of athlete there and were juggling that and school. Think again. There are a lot of college athletes and even a kid in the Olympics in my program and they did just as well as everyone else if not better to get in because they are so disciplined.
    Get great grades at your 4 year, get a great mcat score (even if you have to take it more than once) and get some experience working in a lab or something on campus and maybe you have a shot. Though I would see above pic of Caribbean...
    Good luck though.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

IF you have a 2.67 GPA, while already taking the cupcake classes where even my idiot friends could get a 3.XX, there is no way in hell that you will bring that up taking all those classes listed above.

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

rough economy man.... job market sucks. GL keep plugging away.

Best advice I can give you if you want to be a doctor is never log on to this forum again. And forget about the bitches, gambling, drugs... you need to become a nerd if you want to be a doctor. Doctors don't get laid and they sure as hell don't gamble.

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

be a dentist

Ice House

yeah be a dentist.... i hear that is much easier.

Ice House

Lots of Dentist hurting for Business right now. Everybody and their brother is a dentist. There is atleast 3 dentist in every shopping center.

my dentist receptionist keeps blowing up my phone to get me to come in to get a cavity filling... fuk that

slatter
    slatter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why do you have to do all that in one year? Why not space it out over another two years?

Dom177
    Dom177's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1210

I'm also in college, say fuk being a doctor since your gpa sucks and just become a teacher....thats what i'm doing

TehSharp
    Sh*t Jeremy Lin says
    TehSharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

Get rid of the distractions, lighten the work load and focus on school. It can be done

QuangX
    QuangX's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    Lmao that was my plan. I heard it a 2.9- 3.2 acceptance.

QuangX
    QuangX's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jrbacon View Post
    I am in med school and I can tell you right now even if you bring up your gpa you're not going to get in med school with a 3.0 ...you're competing for a 1st round of cuts just to get offered a 2nd application based entirely on gpa and mcat alone. Just because they say in the application that they accept grades as low as 3.0 doesn't mean they want them. Think about it, say 10,000 people apply to a program, they offer 2nd apps to a 1/3 and interviews to maybe 500. You think they want the bottom of the barrel from all those picks? Also you're going to have to retake all those classes at a 4 year university if you expect any school to care about the grade you received, so don't bother taking them now. I took 1 semester of physics over the summer at a community college and when I went to talk to the admissions director he basically laughed in my face and told me I needed to retake this. Doing poorly in those classes makes you look even worse because they aren't as hard even if you aren't giving your all. That was part of the reason I tried to get away with taking it there, I knew that subject was hard for me and it was a breeze at CC.
    Also, if you think they are going to give a f@#$ that you're some kind of athlete there and were juggling that and school. Think again. There are a lot of college athletes and even a kid in the Olympics in my program and they did just as well as everyone else if not better to get in because they are so disciplined.
    Get great grades at your 4 year, get a great mcat score (even if you have to take it more than once) and get some experience working in a lab or something on campus and maybe you have a shot. Though I would see above pic of Caribbean...
    Good luck though.
    Can a 4 years be a state college or does it have to be a University?

jrmartin.mig
    jrmartin.mig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9124

I hate to break it to you, but your flushing your money down the drain by keeping yourself in school. What you really need to do is take some time off and go out and see the real world. Hopefully that will motivate you to actually take school seriously. There are many people out there who will cut you in half for more education and a better job opportunity. You apparently do not seem to care right now. And let me tell you from experience. If you cannot pass your simple chem and science classes, what the hell do you think is going to happen when you take the MCat?? Any medical school you would not be embarrased to tell people you attended would throw you out in a second if you happen to make it to the interview portion. They are going to look at your transcript and they will not see more poor smart kid who is craving to be motivated and tired of waiting for a challenge from CC. They are going to see some dumb ass who doesnt care enough to study now and that they will be wasting a school spot on if they allow him in. Now, I'm sure its not too late to change things, but as I said before, you dont seem to interested in doing that. Quit wasting yout time and money. Leave school and try and get a job in the real world, see how fun that is. Then re-evaluate your situation and see if your all the sudden ok with reading a book instead of getting whipped by some 12 year old in Halo.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

common, 2.67 at a COMMUNITY COLLEGE and you think you can get into med school?

Take a step back and rethink your goals and if you have the same goals rethink your priorities.

No fukkin chance you can do it in 1 year with all those labs. better take a maymester or summer classes

boneheaded1
    boneheaded1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

Quang. Hard to believe this a real post for one.

I was at the JC for 8 years and a university for 4. It took me awhile because I changed majors like 7 times and was working 30 hours a week (minimum). I graduated 3 days before my 30th birthday. Nothing wrong with being a late bloomer (as long as you don't want to be a doctor).

You need to do one of two things. Quit your whining, lower your head, go to a university and retake EVERYTHING, get straight A's and do it in less than 4 years, or totally forget about becoming a Dr. (sounds like it's your parent's dream, not your anyways).

You need to figure out what you want to do. Sitting around playing video games and whatever else you do will not turn into a carreer. And you're talking about the bitches, think about, that will dry up real quick without some cash flow. Your "studying to become a Dr." line won't work much longer.

Get motivated or say hello to dead end low paying back breaking jobs.

To quote Judge Elihu Smails, "The world needs ditch diggers, too."

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

that is not a good GPA for community college. you should've just seen what classes have credits that are transferrable then worked on getting your GPA up and studied some test booklets for the SAT and ACT. be realistic.

-use to work at a community college and have seen many people transfer to prestigious universities.

12 Last