bettorjon
    bettorjon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Donovan looks good playing because he's in the MLS, the league where washed up players are still dominating.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

USA National Football Team is -usually- underrated. They're not so bad. Gotta take advantage of this situation. Even when they lose, they don't lose by a big margin, usually.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

Man, most of you guys are out of touch. Finally someone (Sawyer) tells it like it is. The US is dogged mainly because a) it's our 4th sport and b) people are sick of America dominating most, if not all, things.

First off, you don't think we'd be in the WC final or near it every Cup if it were our top game? Please. It would be US vs. Brazil 5 out of 6 years (or 5 out of 24 however you want to look at it).

Check out what the USA has done the last 3 World Cups:
    2002 Korea/Japan - USA outplays Germany and loses 1-0, also on a horrible handball non-call: Quarterfinal
    2006 Germany - Disappointing, but toughest Group and outplayed the eventual winner: Group Stage
    2010 South Africa - Round of 16, let it get away against Ghana, could have been to quarters again: R16

(lost Charlie Davies too ... do I have to remind people that they BEAT Spain and lost 3-2 to Brazil prior to WC 2010???)

2 of the past 3 WCs they have been at least the 16th best team in the nation.

The reality is that the USA is a top 10 quality team every year. Have they looked good this tourney? Bad, then OK, now better. So we'll see what happens.

But let's start being honest and telling it how it is.

I'll take USA even on the no-push bet. I'm predicting they come out with the Gold Cup. This team always comes up big against Mexico when it matters, and they are always a dog in those games. Fact.

StraitShooter
    Miami Florida
    StraitShooter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Its garbage

This is not a real tourney

We are bad
    no this is a real tourney..Its called the cocacaf gold cup..we are average on a world scale

so fukin what..we can watch it and bet on it..thats all I ask for

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Exactly. But how is it that, without a doubt, the US is in the top 16 teams in the world and we are considered "average" or "bad"?

I challenge anyone to name 10 teams better, actually. 16 isn't even a question. And by the way, when I say name the teams, I mean teams as they are (or have been recently). Not traditionally or historically.

The US has not looked all that great recently (and still in the Gold Cup final) but FIFA has us currently ranked 22 (based on vote as of May 18, 2011). Teams 9 through 21 are not better. Ghana is the only possible exception, since they beat us last WCup, but there was a reason US was favored in that game and that's because overall, they are more talented.

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Spain, Holland, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Portugal, England, Ivory Coast, France, Sweden, Mexico...

The Special One
    The Special One's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by FindTheLock View Post
    Spain, Holland, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Portugal, England, Ivory Coast, France, Sweden, Mexico...
    ok Italy, Chile, Russia are also better...

FindTheLock

Quote Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
    ok Italy, Chile, Russia are also better...
    agreed might as well throw Paraguay in there too.
    Last edited by FindTheLock; 06-25-11 at 09:57 PM.

jwbjwbjwb12
    jwbjwbjwb12's Avatar Become A Pro!

cant wait for the game tonight super excited

psulions
    psulions's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I'll be rooting for the US, but if I had to put money on this game. Mexico 2-0. Hope I'm wrong

donsirlisir
    donsirlisir's Avatar Become A Pro!

japan

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Uruguay getting old. England? Ivory Coast? France? Really? That's by far the worst of your picks, no way there.

Italy, like France, OLD. Chile and Russia? Nice teams, but please. No basis.

I'll give you Mexico but let's be honest, USA finished and then got out of their heads ...

I still stand by my statement, and I also have said that the USA is not playing its best anyway, right now.

FindTheLock

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    Uruguay getting old. England? Ivory Coast? France? Really? That's by far the worst of your picks, no way there.
    I'm an american, but I accept that our soccer program isn't as good as a lot of other countries. Some Americans are very delusional and biased about our sports teams without giving an honest evaluation of our competition.
    Italy, like France, OLD. Chile and Russia? Nice teams, but please. No basis.

I'll give you Mexico but let's be honest, USA finished and then got out of their heads ...

I still stand by my statement, and I also have said that the USA is not playing its best anyway, right now.
    you're entitled to your own opinion, but I think you're in denial if you honestly think the US mens soccer program is closing any gaps in the world rankings. There are many teams that could beat this US team. Serbia, Ghana, Norway, Denmark, Slovakia, Belgium, Egypt, Czech Republic, Greece, Croatia, Paraguay,... How much of this sport do you honestly watch anyway? The US team isn't terrible, but they aren't a powerhouse either.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

I never said they were a powerhouse. Please point out where I am wrong as opposed to inferring that I am in "denial" or we're closing any gaps. Since 1994 we are WORLDS better.

Our last 3 World Cups have been far better than ... every team you mentioned.

Also, please don't re-phrase my argument into something I never said: that includes calling America a "powerhourse" (never did). It's bad form.

Finally, "this US team" beat more better teams in meaningful games than any you mentioned.

Read: Spain in Confederations Cup, Mexico in the World Cup, Egypt in the World Cup

Not to mention losing 3-2 to Brazil in Confed Cup and outplaying Germany in the 2002 World Cup quarterfinals on a bad call. Perhaps this last game we wouldn't have gotten through, but it was undeniable we outplayed them and were at least a tie without the bad red handball at the goal line.

It's not smart to take shots (I'm not offended, I just think it's lame and makes you look less credible) when you can't actually show the points I've put for to be incorrect, bad analysis, or lacking support.

bbenson011
    bbenson011's Avatar Become A Pro!

cant believe they lost omg the d sucks

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

US was ranked #22 in the last FIFA rankings...and Mexico was #28.....I think the US ranking is about right, but Mexico is clearly in the Top 15. The US team is lacking passion and originality. The Bob Bradley experiment has run its course, it's time for a non-US coach to try and take the team in another direction. A guy like Jurgen Klinsmann would bring a European flare to the team, and let him reload the team as he sees fit. The US team is going no where in their current configuration, and it's the perfect time to change the team before qualifying and the World Cup approach.

babyjesus
    Up with hope, Down with dope
    babyjesus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Agreed, the US team is a good group of guys.

FindTheLock

I never said they were a powerhouse. Please point out where I am wrong as opposed to inferring that I am in "denial" or we're closing any gaps. Since 1994 we are WORLDS better.

Our last 3 World Cups have been far better than ... every team you mentioned.

Also, please don't re-phrase my argument into something I never said: that includes calling America a "powerhourse" (never did). It's bad form.

Finally, "this US team" beat more better teams in meaningful games than any you mentioned.

Read: Spain in Confederations Cup, Mexico in the World Cup, Egypt in the World Cup

Not to mention losing 3-2 to Brazil in Confed Cup and outplaying Germany in the 2002 World Cup quarterfinals on a bad call. Perhaps this last game we wouldn't have gotten through, but it was undeniable we outplayed them and were at least a tie without the bad red handball at the goal line.

It's not smart to take shots (I'm not offended, I just think it's lame and makes you look less credible) when you can't actually show the points I've put for to be incorrect, bad analysis, or lacking support.
    Ahh the fallacies of internet debates. I am not trying to work on my credibility so that weak attempted shot didn't cause me any harm either. I am simply trying to understand what it is that you are trying to say exactly? Let me ask you this to clear things up, since you didn't read/comprehend the "some americans" part, and decided to take this personally. Would you bet on the US team if they played a match against any of the teams I mentioned? If your answer is yes, would you expect to win?

$Burm$
    $Burm$'s Avatar Become A Pro!

i think donovan should be a player/manager of the US national team...that way he wont get benched

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Ahh the fallacies of internet debates. I am not trying to work on my credibility so that weak attempted shot didn't cause me any harm either. I am simply trying to understand what it is that you are trying to say exactly? Let me ask you this to clear things up, since you didn't read/comprehend the "some americans" part, and decided to take this personally. Would you bet on the US team if they played a match against any of the teams I mentioned? If your answer is yes, would you expect to win?
    Find,

It's not personal. My position is pretty clear, though, I'm not sure what is unclear.

The reason I didn't bet on the US in the last game was because I thought the OVER was the right play ... and it was. I've given my opinion of the teams you've mentioned.

I also believe that the US defense is lacking at this point in time. I think that can change and that's what is interesting about National team soccer: games are generally sporadic that timing is everything. So my answer to yours is, what team, and at what odds? You need Cherundolo and some different configurations, but this team has guys who can finish on the world stage, so that doesn't worry me.

I'm objective when it comes to the USA. The World generally isn't, for reasons I've stated.

FindTheLock

Find,

It's not personal. My position is pretty clear, though, I'm not sure what is unclear.

The reason I didn't bet on the US in the last game was because I thought the OVER was the right play ... and it was. I've given my opinion of the teams you've mentioned.

I also believe that the US defense is lacking at this point in time. I think that can change and that's what is interesting about National team soccer: games are generally sporadic that timing is everything. So my answer to yours is, what team, and at what odds? You need Cherundolo and some different configurations, but this team has guys who can finish on the world stage, so that doesn't worry me.

I'm objective when it comes to the USA. The World generally isn't, for reasons I've stated.
    I agree the US team doesn't suck, and I do believe they could win against a lot of the teams I mentioned. I just don't think they could do it consistently, and depending on where the venue took place, I think there would be value in betting on almost any of the teams I mentioned under certain circumstances. I wouldn't say the same thing about teams I would put in the top 10. That is all I am trying to say about the US team. I am very well aware of the fact that this US team doesn't completely suck. I also agree their defense is their weakest point at the moment, and for that reason they are a vulnerable team, and for betting purposes they are very unreliable.

drgonzo111
    drgonzo111's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 464

Consistency has definitely been a problem for the US, and better defense is one clear thing they need to improve.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

I agree the US team doesn't suck, and I do believe they could win against a lot of the teams I mentioned. I just don't think they could do it consistently, and depending on where the venue took place, I think there would be value in betting on almost any of the teams I mentioned under certain circumstances. I wouldn't say the same thing about teams I would put in the top 10. That is all I am trying to say about the US team. I am very well aware of the fact that this US team doesn't completely suck. I also agree their defense is their weakest point at the moment, and for that reason they are a vulnerable team, and for betting purposes they are very unreliable.
    You are being very reasonable here. I've got no issue with any of that. I think you were a bit outspoken or exaggerating before, and perhaps that's why I addressed it the way I did.

Well, 3 more years until we find out how the world's national teams play out ... that's a lot of time.

FindTheLock

You are being very reasonable here. I've got no issue with any of that. I think you were a bit outspoken or exaggerating before, and perhaps that's why I addressed it the way I did.

Well, 3 more years until we find out how the world's national teams play out ... that's a lot of time.
    I am sometimes overly critical of the teams I cheer for, and I graciously concede that point to you. I do not allow my heart to get involved with my finances, but I always cheer for the US team to do well, unless I have money on the other side. I would love to feel confident backing the US team in every game they play, but that isn't the case. I bet on Mexico when they were down 2-0. That's how little my confidence level on the US team is to finish strong. mexico was dominating possession and creating better opportunities. The US team got a nice header and Donovan broke away in the middle on a mistake by the mexican defense. I took mexico down 2-0 with great odds knowing the US defense would cave, I just didn't think they would cave to the extent of allowing 4 goals. I figured maybe 2-2 or 3-2 in regulation. I hedged with the draw option in live betting to ensure the only way to lose was if the US won outright, but I had a strong feeling that wouldn't happen.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

What site are you using for in games?

FindTheLock

intertops.com is the site I used to bet live for that game. They have all the womens world cup games live too.

First 12