opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

AtTN: YOUNG POSTERS & MOST OF THOSE IN SBR CHIT-CHAT

I'm here today to implore you not to listen to all the doomsdayers & naysayers spreading their misery in Players Talk. These threads are useless. Its simply broken down, beaten up fukks recruiting others to join their cult of despair. This old adage is still 100% true.....misery loves company.

You young men & women are blessed with limitless opportunities in this world. Technology and other innovations have opened up worlds which were not even considered a few short years ago. You have the chance to network and explore possibilities without limits. Who would have thought 20 years ago you could search for a job in Costa Rica while sitting on your bed/breakfast table in a suburb of Philadelphia?

All generations long for the one before. This never changes. To those who say these are the worst of times....I urge you to study your history. Google "Life in the Civil War" and tell me if this is truly the hardest period in American life. The challenges and obstacles you now face are simply a blip on the radar. Everything is cyclical. Trust me....if these are the lowest times in your life....you will have truly been blessed.

Attitude is everything. Don't get sucked into another's unhappiness. Be your own man. Believe it or not, the downturn has only helped to level out the playing field. In todays world, the cream will truly rise to the top. Those who separate themselves will do so solely because they have earned it from their efforts.

Its a great time to be young. I look forward to all that my daughter will experience that I never did. The same goes for all of you. Good luck, fellas. Make it happen.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."
    ~ Henry David Thoreau
    Points Awarded:

Full Time Hobo gave opie1988 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Buried_PIRATE gave opie1988 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

SHADYLANKY gave opie1988 3 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Pete0, and Buried_PIRATE

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

onetrickpony
    onetrickpony's Avatar Become A Pro!

great message but i dont feel the same way abt the future, the future is fuked opie u hear opie fuked

were all gonna get fuked over one day opie

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Great post, opie! Fukk the fear mongerers...

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

good post opie...life is good

Attitude is everything-- Lil quote from Lombardi in there as well I see.

As K.G. would say, "ANYTHING IS POOSSSSSSIIIIIBBBBLLLLLEEEEEE!!!!!!"

excel
    unapproved
    excel's Avatar Become A Pro!

Keep drinking the fluoride laden water opie, everything is great.
    Points Awarded:

biggie12 gave excel 100 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jarvol

onetrickpony

Quote Originally Posted by excel View Post
    Keep drinking the fluoride laden water opie, everything is great.
    im wearing my tin foil hat as we speak, shit is real boys

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    I'm here today to implore you not to listen to all the doomsdayers & naysayers spreading their misery in Players Talk. These threads are useless. Its simply broken down, beaten up fukks recruiting others to join their cult of despair. This old adage is still 100% true.....misery loves company.

You young men & women are blessed with limitless opportunities in this world. Technology and other innovations have opened up worlds which were not even considered a few short years ago. You have the chance to network and explore possibilities without limits. Who would have thought 20 years ago you could search for a job in Costa Rica while sitting on your bed/breakfast table in a suburb of Philadelphia?

All generations long for the one before. This never changes. To those who say these are the worst of times....I urge you to study your history. Google "Life in the Civil War" and tell me if this is truly the hardest period in American life. The challenges and obstacles you now face are simply a blip on the radar. Everything is cyclical. Trust me....if these are the lowest times in your life....you will have truly been blessed.

Attitude is everything. Don't get sucked into another's unhappiness. Be your own man. Believe it or not, the downturn has only helped to level out the playing field. In todays world, the cream will truly rise to the top. Those who separate themselves will do so solely because they have earned it from their efforts.

Its a great time to be young. I look forward to all that my daughter will experience that I never did. The same goes for all of you. Good luck, fellas. Make it happen.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."
    ~ Henry David Thoreau
    Your wife should take care of her man Opie on a daily basis.
    Provider? check
    Good Father? check
    Nice big brain? check
    Personable? check
    Nice teeth? CHECK

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Opie, great post.

80% of this audience couldn't tell you who fought in the Civil War.

Let them examine what the depression era in this country was like, food lines, water rationing, and unemploymen topped 25%.

Cripes----the homelessness was so bad there was actually a name given to the shanty towns that served as homes----Hoovervilles.

These times today are a paradise compared to that.

onetrickpony

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
    Opie, great post. 80% of this audience couldn't tell you who fought in the Civil War. Let them examine what the depression era in this country was like, food lines, water rationing, and unemploymen topped 25%. Cripes----the homelessness was so bad there was actually a name given to the shanty towns that served as homes----Hoovervilles. These times today are a paradise compared to that.
    what does that have to do with the current economic state?

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year
    Cougar Bait's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3289

Always easy to spot Obama backers

Opie I have a surprise for you

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5626

State of mind is everything. Your subconcious mind is a like a train going one way on a track. Keep thinking negative thoughts, you will indeed be a negative person and you will not accomplish any of your goals because you are constantly bracing for a storm that never comes. And if it does come, so what? The only thing your maladjusted attitude will have done is allow you to say "told ya so."

Attitude is everything. It's cliche but it's true. Negativity is easy. You've got to fight internally to stay positive until it's no longer a struggle but a way of life. Trust me fellas, I'm still learning but I'm getting better. Control your mind, control your destiny.

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

correct swinging attitude is everything

MartinBlank

Quote Originally Posted by onetrickpony View Post
    what does that have to do with the current economic state?
    A lot actually.

The same nitwits that can not identify who fought in the Cival War, are inclinded to believe that we are close to an apocolypse.

They have no sense of history or how really tough times have been in this country.

As a comparison----today isn't close to being the financial nightmare than the Great Depression was.

Are times difficult? Of course, but are they really tougher than the late 70's, when we had gas lines, or the early 80's during the recession of Reagan's first term? Hardly.

The Dow Jones is approaching 13K, an incredibly turnaround considering it was at 7449 on November 21, 2008. That is simply amazing.

Unemployment is hovering around 9%, a drop from the double-digit unemployment rate we saw just a few years ago.
    Points Awarded:

Full Time Hobo gave MartinBlank 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Great post opie..

I hate when other motherfukkers bring their unhappiness around me. I could strangle them, ya feel me?

Stay true opie

onetrickpony

A lot actually. The same nitwits that can not identify who fought in the Cival War, are inclinded to believe that we are close to an apocolypse. They have no sense of history or how really tough times have been in this country. As a comparison----today isn't close to being the financial nightmare than the Great Depression was. Are times difficult? Of course, but are they really tougher than the late 70's, when we had gas lines, or the early 80's during the recession of Reagan's first term? Hardly. The Dow Jones is approaching 13K, an incredibly turnaround considering it was at 7449 on November 21, 2008. That is simply amazing. Unemployment is hovering around 9%, a drop from the double-digit unemployment rate we saw just a few years ago.
    u cant compare 2 different times, alot of variables are different. yes i agree most are retards here but theres no correlation between knowing who fought in the civil war and todays economics

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

A lot actually.

The same nitwits that can not identify who fought in the Civil War, are inclined to believe that we are close to an apocolypse.

They have no sense of history or how really tough times have been in this country.

As a comparison----today isn't close to being the financial nightmare than the Great Depression was.

Are times difficult? Of course, but are they really tougher than the late 70's, when we had gas lines, or the early 80's during the recession of Reagan's first term? Hardly.

The Dow Jones is approaching 13K, an incredibly turnaround considering it was at 7449 on November 21, 2008. That is simply amazing.

Unemployment is hovering around 9%, a drop from the double-digit unemployment rate we saw just a few years ago.
    Good post and great thread Opie. Here is a quote from warren buffet in his last interview he did in march this year with CNBC.

BECKY:
    Your annual shareholders letter that you just came out with on Saturday painted a much more optimistic picture of America than many people had been thinking to this point. Why is that? And why are you so positive about things?

BUFFETT
    : Well, I've been optimistic on America right along, as you know. I mean, I was optimistic when I knew things were going to go to hell. But things do , America gets off the track from time to time, and it was particularly so in the fall of 2008. But you can't stop this country. I mean, we have gone through, I don't know, 15 recessions, you know,world wars, civil war, you name it.

And there is a resiliency to the American system. It does work. And it sputters from time to time. It'll sputter from time to time in the future,but you don't want to get too concerned about that. It's kind of like having a bad crop in farming. If you've got some good land here in the Midwest, you're going to have a bad crop occasionally. But you know you're going to have mostly good crops and we have great soil for this country, metaphorically. And it works over time

Full Time Hobo
    In a Box
    Full Time Hobo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3676

Awesome Post Opie

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

More of the buffett interview http://www.scribd.com/doc/49951733/C...t-March-2-2011

BECKY:
    So what are you seeing in your businesses right now? You said that we're back on track, but are we chugging along? Are we inching a long? How are things coming?

Buffett: It's probably closer to inching in most businesses. And in residential construction, it's not inching. It's not going at all. But so you do have this uneven situation. We have a few businesses that are that are really kind of booming, but and we have a great many businesses that are moving forward, and then we have some a few that are stuck. And but I think that's true of the economy.

So but what we've seen now for almost two years is we've seen it getting better. Rather consistently, but not in a dramatic, at a dramatic pace. And what has been interesting to me is that the sentiment has gone up and down quite a bit during a period when you really haven't seen all that much change in the underlying trend.

BUFFETT
    : Yeah. Our business at Berkshire was quite a bit better in 2010 than 2009, but we only added 3,000 jobs, you know, from 260,000 roughly, on a base. So we added 1percent to jobs net and yet our business really improved quite a bit more than that.

BECKY:
    Mm-hmm.

BUFFETT
    : And there were real gains in productivity achieved on the downside. People, at least when they really had to tighten their belts, they found out they could do it. And I think that period is largely over. I think the gains in business will be much more reflected by gains in employment going from this point forward than they have in the first year and a half or two years of this recovery.

CNBC SQUAWK BOX TRANSCRIPT: MARCH 2, 2011PAGE 5

OF 5

BECKY:
    Does that mean good news by the end of this year? Or does that mean good news by next year because depending on whose forecast you're watching, the employment number could go down significantly.

BUFFETT
    : Yeah, yeah.

BECKY:
    This year, or it might take two years.

BUFFETT
    : I'm not aI really don't know the answer on that, but if you ask me just to guess...

BECKY:
    Mm-hmm.

BUFFETT
    : ...I would guess that that by theby close to the election of 2012 that unemployment would be probably in the low 7s.

BECKY:
    OK.

BUFFETT
    : And then how good that'll look to people, I don't know at the time. But that would be my guess from what I see in business

StraitShooter
    Miami Florida
    StraitShooter's Avatar Become A Pro!

This guy impresses more every day

MartinBlank

Quote Originally Posted by onetrickpony View Post
    u cant compare 2 different times, alot of variables are different. yes i agree most are retards here but theres no correlation between knowing who fought in the civil war and todays economics
    You need to re-read my posts.

My assertion is simple. The same group that doesn't understand or know anything about history----is more likely to believe the hysterical rantings of guys like Glenn Beck who believe nothing but doom and gloom.

And, you can compare data from different periods of history.

It doesnt matter what decade you lived in, 25% unemployment in the early 30's had more detrimental affects on society than today's 9%.

Yet today, we have nitwits who believe that armageddon is upon us because they can't pay their CC bill.

opie1988

You need to re-read my posts.

My assertion is simple. The same group that doesn't understand or know anything about history----is more likely to believe the hysterical rantings of guys like Glenn Beck who believe nothing but doom and gloom.

And, you can compare data from different periods of history.

It doesnt matter what decade you lived in, 25% unemployment in the early 30's had more detrimental affects on society than today's 9%.

Yet today, we have nitwits who believe that armageddon is upon us because they can't pay their CC bill.
    Marty is as sharp as any poster we have.

Good job, Marty.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

~ Henry David Thoreau
    The playing field has never been level and never will be. In fact if you live in the States right now the financial field is most the lopsided it has ever been in the history of the country. People have good reason to be discontent. In the last decade they watched their networths decline significantly, they either lost their job, can't find one or are working longer hours with more responsibility for less money. They are also burdened with inflation costs of health care, elder care and literally everything across the board when their real wages stay flat.

Yet we should tell them that everything is OK because they have potential to succeed and if they do fail it is largely their fault? It is insulting to quote this American dream scripture to people and expect them to stomach it when they see the cold hard facts of reality. The mantra is to keep up the illusion because it keeps everyone sedated. Just telling someone Gee you know how hard it was in the civil war is largely useless. Why not go all the way back and say "Hey buddy at least you don't have stone wheels and have to worry about getting eaten by a sabre tooth tiger. Boy they had it really bad so I better be happy."

What really happened is the system failed, individuals failed, but most importantly people got fukked by those who were smarter than them and they were taught to like it. If you need any evidence of this go look at any of the available data on happiness indexes over the last 50-60 years. They all show a significant decrease in overall happiness despite economic advances. Even better go look at the political parties in the states. They are all one in the same. Keep up that illusion of choice. Your vote sure makes a difference! It is a comedy of gigantic proportions.

And by in large the rich emerged unscathed from all this because there is no economic situation that they can't withstand. They simply have the capital to manage risk well. Even those people that were fraudulent, including corporations, prepared by paying off the political system. The layman simply has no chance when faced with an economic downturn and black swans. Bailout money to whom indeed.

I do concede that in the long run the country will largely be fine. All the apocalyptic rhetoric is annoying but so is the naive attitude that your life has no limits. I would argue that the world has very real limits whether you acknowledge them or not. There are societal limits,family limits, economic limits, educational limits. If you take two twins of equal talent and ability but placed them in different environments; one in a "poor" environment (and all that entails) and one in a "rich" environment (and all that entails) there is going to be a vast gulf between how they turn out. You are running a race with a corvette and a go cart expecting them to finish at the same time.You might quote some odd case where this deviates but run it multiple times and a true picture free of the variance of life will emerge. The American system does not magically intervene to correct this inequality so stop believing the lie. You can't reach the commanding heights because those with power, influence and most importantly money keep moving the bar out of your grasp.

So where does that leave you? You should stop feeding into the system. Stop setting your expectations unrealistically high. Realize that everyone has a motivation for doing anything. Start thinking for yourself and realize how you are being manipulated everyday. Acknowledge that sometimes events happen outside of our control and there is nothing we can do about it. If you have gambled for any length of time you of all people should realize how luck factors into the equation. Life is no different.

Does that mean you should give up? No. Live your life, educate yourself financially so you can extract yourself from this modern economic slavery and use the tools against your masters. But most importantly call out these plutocrats for all the bullshit they spew. Foster dissent and live your life on your own terms not those you are taught to want. Think and live.

And for what it's worth Thoreau was a simplistic fruitcake who realized how his views sucked and moved back to society from Walden's pond when it hit him square in the face.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: onetrickpony

Rod1010
    Rod1010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Great post mrmarket

opie1988

Let me add this amendment......

All the young guys, except for Rod & OTP, don't listen to self-righteous prikks like Mr.Market. Anyone who would tell you to limit your hope for what your future may bring simply reeks of someone who's potential went unfulfilled. This is all whoreshit.

No one truly successful in life would derive any pleasure in telling young people to temper their enthusiasm for their future. The American dream is every bit as alive as it ever was. To start your adult life with the notion that you can only achieve what your class system or upbringing dictates is a certain recipe for failure. Its simply not true. I consider myself exhibit A.

Lastly, I'd like to rescind my shout-out to Mr.Market. I was mistaken, he seems like a real dikk.

p.s. To Rod1010 & onetrickpony.....You guys are excluded from this. I agree.....you're fukked. This is as far as you go. Enjoy.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Let me add this amendment......

All the young guys, except for Rod & OTP, don't listen to self-righteous prikks like Mr.Market. Anyone who would tell you to limit your hope for what your future may bring simply reeks of someone who's potential went unfulfilled. This is all whoreshit.

No one truly successful in life would derive any pleasure in telling young people to temper their enthusiasm for their future. The American dream is every bit as alive as it ever was. To start your adult life with the notion that you can only achieve what your class system or upbringing dictates is a certain recipe for failure. Its simply not true. I consider myself exhibit A.

Lastly, I'd like to rescind my shout-out to Mr.Market. I was mistaken, he seems like a real dikk.

p.s. To Rod1010 & onetrickpony.....You guys are excluded from this. I agree.....you're fukked. This is as far as you go. Enjoy.
    I do not dislike you Opie but find fault with your naive assumption that the American Dream is available to everyone. It is simply not true. Constraints exist everywhere. There are constraints in nature that limit how many species an environment can support. There are constraints on this very planet as to how many humans it can support. These are real problems that don't go away because we don't recognize they exist. Do you honestly think that these rules don't apply to our lives?

Biological constraints are an example. These constraints limit what we can and cannot do. If a man was 5'2 and his dream was to play in the NBA would you wistfully support him and say "You can do it buddy!" or try to explain how it is extremely likely he will fail given what is required to attain this level. It would perhaps be better if he shifted his focus on something within his grasp instead of struggling for the rest of his life leading to inevitable unhappiness when he doesn't make it.

I believe we want the same thing; Mainly for people to be happy. What I am trying to say is that the illusion of what it means to be happy which is currently force fed to us through the American Dream is wrong. Perhaps we should instead reconsider our position to one which is attainable and actually likely to make us feel happy instead of inadequate. Nowhere have I said not to achieve all you can. What I have said is make your goals more realistic so they are attainable. If you far surpass them I am genuinely happy for you whether you believe that or not. If you don't achieve them don't feel bad either because there are things working against you from the start. This is life.

I also was not aware you gave me a shout out and thank you for it. It is always nice to be acknowledged by other people. I am glad you achieved your goals Opie but I think blinding believing in limitless opportunities is foolhardy. Perhaps instead of attacking me you should consider other points of view.

I don't often reveal much of myself because I value my privacy but there is a certain amount of irony in your assumptions about me. I too once supported your point of view and lived my life by it. I achieved what others might consider a certain amount of success coming from a very dysfunctional/poor family. I thought everyone could do it and often wondered contemptuously what was wrong with them.

Despite this success I was not happy either. In time I understood I was a statistical outlier and it dawned on me why equally talented and hardworking people through no fault of their own often failed. I remember clearly when I realized how things worked because it was like someone punched me in the stomach. I almost threw up right there and had to leave work for the day. It is unsettling no doubt but at least it is real.

Rod1010

Opie u attack me for saying "great post" . Im doing quite well actuqlly...Doing great in school .. Finishing my last semester in september while working a steady job and enjoying life as a 20 year old.. How am i "fukked" ? Mrmarket is telling it exactly how it is. I listen to the joe rogan podcast alot and mrmarket's post reminds me of rogan's views on life . It sucks for some people but its quite true . Great post mrmarket!!! U nailed it .

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarket View Post

I do not dislike you Opie but find fault with your naive assumption that the American Dream is available to everyone. It is simply not true. Constraints exist everywhere. There are constraints in nature that limit how many species an environment can support. There are constraints on this very planet as to how many humans it can support. These are real problems that don't go away because we don't recognize they exist. Do you honestly think that these rules don't apply to our lives?
    Biological constraints are an example. These constraints limit what we can and cannot do. If a man was 5'2 and his dream was to play in the NBA would you wistfully support him and say "You can do it buddy!" or try to explain how it is extremely likely he will fail given what is required to attain this level. It would perhaps be better if he shifted his focus on something within his grasp instead of struggling for the rest of his life leading to inevitable unhappiness when he doesn't make it.

I believe we want the same thing; Mainly for people to be happy. What I am trying to say is that the illusion of what it means to be happy which is currently force fed to us through the American Dream is wrong. Perhaps we should instead reconsider our position to one which is attainable and actually likely to make us feel happy instead of inadequate. Nowhere have I said not to achieve all you can. What I have said is make your goals more realistic so they are attainable. If you far surpass them I am genuinely happy for you whether you believe that or not. If you don't achieve them don't feel bad either because there are things working against you from the start. This is life.
    I also was not aware you gave me a shout out and thank you for it. It is always nice to be acknowledged by other people. I am glad you achieved your goals Opie but I think blinding believing in limitless opportunities is foolhardy. Perhaps instead of attacking me you should consider other points of view.

I don't often reveal much of myself because I value my privacy but there is a certain amount of irony in your assumptions about me. I too once supported your point of view and lived my life by it. I achieved what others might consider a certain amount of success coming from a very dysfunctional/poor family. I thought everyone could do it and often wondered contemptuously what was wrong with them.
    Despite this success I was not happy either. In time I understood I was a statistical outlier and it dawned on me why equally talented and hardworking people through no fault of their own often failed. I remember clearly when I realized how things worked because it was like someone punched me in the stomach. I almost threw up right there and had to leave work for the day. It is unsettling no doubt but at least it is real.
    Mr.Market-

I apologize for giving the impression that I dislike you. Not at all true. I absolutely respect your posts, as well as your opinions. You're are obviously well-read, and I congratulate you on the articulateness of your comments.

I can appreciate your position. Although we differ in our ideology, or at the very least our comprehensive vision, we both seem, at the end of the day, to genuinely hope for the best for others. For this I am grateful.

As far as my making assumptions about you.....this is mostly because I turn into a juvenile prikk whenever someone disagrees with my vision. Especially when that someone seems to be my superior with their ability as a wordsmith.

Bravo.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by Rod1010 View Post
    Opie u attack me for saying "great post" . Im doing quite well actuqlly...Doing great in school .. Finishing my last semester in september while working a steady job and enjoying life as a 20 year old.. How am i "fukked" ? Mrmarket is telling it exactly how it is. I listen to the joe rogan podcast alot and mrmarket's post reminds me of rogan's views on life . It sucks for some people but its quite true . Great post mrmarket!!! U nailed it .

Rod-

Sorry I "attacked" you. Congrats on your success. Keep it up.

Now....scoot on back to chit-chat.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

shit in here got reeeeeaaaaaaaal

onetrickpony

opie makes 7 figures of course everything is great in texas why wouldnt it be

opie there is no hope, this countries biggest cities will become shanty towns

Rod1010

Opie ur the man !!!!

Opie ur rich man !!!!!

Opie u made it man!!!!

Rod1010

Yes ill be in chat soon . Been there alot past 3 weeks !! Pretty depressed this month after breaking up with my gf (The girl with the soiled anus opie) but ill be better soon.

Opie ur the man !!!!!!!

U made it and we fkin know it !!!!! We love u opie !!!!!

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

Theres a recession??? Times are tough??? I need to watch fox news more often I guess. I thought things were fine