Originally posted on 09/29/2018:

H3 D5

Journal entry by Mindy McBride — 4 hours ago
Hospital 3 Day 5= H3 D5

Good evening, #TeamAndy:

Yesterday Andy had the privilege of having food for the first time in 31 days. He was given bright green applesauce and blue ice chips (see pic below) as they looked for food aspiration. He did notice some of the applesauce sticking to the back of his throat. His speech therapist stated he could have ice chips all weekend to continue to help strengthen his muscles for swallowing.

Today Andy did not have any therapies which gives him a day of rest. I will say that he is such a trooper, he told me that he wanted to give up yesterday and knew he had to keep trying while he was in a chair that assisted him to standing (see pic below). This lead us to a very deep conversation where we talked about frustration and giving up. I continue to let him know how proud I am of him, he is stuck on how weak he is and how long it will take him. We had a moment where we shared tears and discussed how lucky we are that he is still here and that it wasn't his time. I continued to remind him that when things get tough, to think about his second chance, us that need him, and that it is ok to be frustrated during the times but not to get stuck in it.

We were able to lighten it up with a little more conversation about the damn mosquito that bit him. If you have been following along our journey, you will know that Andy and I originally thought that his illness before leaving for Las Vegas was from swimming in Toxic Green Algae while camping at Lake Byllesby in Cannon Falls, MN. Tonight he stated that the damn mosquito was drinking the green algae before it bit him in his ass. I love that he has his wit! He also asked me to turn the t.v. to A&E, does anyone know what show he wanted?

In church on Sunday we discussed the power or prayer, how fitting for our circumstance. One of the prayers was specific prayers. I kindly ask that you use specific prayers as you pray for us, some things you can pray about are: Andy standing, gaining trunk strength, strengthening his voice and weaning off of the vent. Thank you #TeamAndy for all your support!