bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bryant Gumbel must go!

This Bryant Gumbel makes watching the NFL on the NFL Network completely impossible without using the mute button. Hell, I'm listening to the Westwood One radio broadcast with Dick Stockton.

biggamer3
    biggamer3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3802

Yeah he is awful
    I said that last year too

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I'd like to third the opinion that BG sucks!

Interestingly enough, I think his brother Greg does a pretty good job.

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

I'm a lot more used to him this year than last. That being said, it's still pretty tough.

biggamer3

He constantly says the dumbest things

Colts just start the second half and convert on third and 6, Gumble tells us brilliantly "Colts get their first first down of the second half" does he think we are retarted? Why tell us this shit?

Why the hell does he think this is hockey and call it second period, third period, what happened to "Quarters"?

Total tool, at least CC is enjoyable to listen to

babaoriley
    babaoriley's Avatar Become A Pro!

The thing is: Gumbel is not only horrible but the rapport between him and Collinsworth is equally bad. I've actually had drinks with Collinsworth during a Fox Sports/ AT&T event a few years back annd noticed that he's actually a cool cat. I get the feeling, from listening to CC during these telecasts, that Cris is thinking "Man, this guy is a complete pu$$y". There just seems to be disdain in Collinsworth's voice... I don't blame him. Gumble sounds like one of the muppets and he just sounds stupid (in football terms). Macy's thanksgiving parade type voice, not football.

P.S. Interesting sidenote about Collinsworth: When I was talking to him, Chad Johnson was just a young pup, fresh off a semi-breakout season, but only known among fantasy football types and heavy NFL bettors. He wasn't "Ocho Cinco" yet, basically. Anyway, I ask Collinsworth about him by saying something like "Man, so as an ex receiver, what do you think about the potential of Johnson?". Collinsworth just paused for a second, then smiled as he was looking away and said something like "Oh boy... Ah....." and just trailed away as he was thinking about CJ. At the time, I was wondering what he meant, though looking back it was quite obvious that he thought Ocho was kind of a clown. Talented, but a little bit of a clown.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

i had denny green and dick endberg on the radio for the game

mgcolby
    mgcolby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 498

Bryant Gumbel is like listening to Pam Ward!

A woman should not announce a football game!

ChuteBoxe
    27+1 = 2011
    ChuteBoxe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

Agreed! Gumbel and Ward both suck!

t2wentyfou4r
    t2wentyfou4r's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is Bryant Gumbel black, or white? This guy is looking more, and more white everytime I see him. Why did the NFL network pick him to do there games? Is it because of his name, I know it's not for his talent.

biggamer3

Quote Originally Posted by t2wentyfou4r View Post
    Is Bryant Gumbel black, or white? This guy is looking more, and more white everytime I see him. Why did the NFL network pick him to do there games? Is it because of his name, I know it's not for his talent.
    I dont really understand what you are saying

You want him to say,"dog whats up" or "Wassup wassup peeps" ?

Rounder99
    Rounder99's Avatar Become A Pro!

Completely agree. I think gumbel should go but also Madden. That guy has completely lost it. His comments are no longer funny or insightful. I would like to get a camera on Al Michaels face during the whole game so we can see his expression when the fat man says something stupid. Am i the only one that thinks Madden has lost it?

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Rounder99 View Post
    Am i the only one that thinks Madden has lost it?
    Yes. Madden & Michaels are the best to me, nobody comes close to them. Monday Night Football's coverage is like amateur hour.

RageWizard
    RageWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!

I was having a nice turkey and Northern lights coma until my kids put on the game. Then as though he was an alarm clock, I had to mute the game so that the viens in my forehead would not burst. I couldn't stand this guy ever since he was the guy back in the studio in the early 80's for NBC's football telecast. He must have pictures or video of the producer in a bad position. How else would he (and his brother by the way) have these jobs when the football watching public is so obviously against him.

Crutch
    Crutch's Avatar Become A Pro!

ya even though madden is a dumbass, u gotta love him

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

He is the only announcer that puts me to sleep while at the bar. Next time I go in there I will just listen to my ipod while watching the game.

bigdog3580
    bigdog3580's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

I agree, he is so boring.
    I hate all the games on the NFL network.
    The only thing better about this year, is it seems their graphics are alot better.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I'll defend Madden to the end, even if I've got to mute him once in a while. lmao. He's 300 years old and still gives some good "leather helmet" analysis, even if half of what he says is outright blubbering. The coach has got a couple rings, and nobody can ever take those away.

Most announcers make me cringe from time to time, which is probably why Madden still can still be considered "elite". Everyone else is just so mediocre. I can go through the list of the "usual suspects", but we all know the list.

My current favorite analyst is Shannon Sharpe. I know he doesn't do games, but I wish he would. The guy has flavor and snap. It's always fun to tune in to see what he'll say next. He's also a pretty sharp guy with football IQ, rings, plus good old common sense. Shannon's combination of "eloquence", football success and good analysis makes him a complete diamond amongst these other cardboard cutout NFL has-beens and never-were's.

sharktank1
    sharktank1's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree.
    The only other one is this celler/dwellar catagory has to be O.J. with his blub, blub, blub, uh, ya know,etc...

bigboydan

I didn't Bryant Gumbel could get worse, but I was wrong

Starion
    Starion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 414

he's terrible

Thomasha7
    Thomasha7's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would rather listen to BG that Tony Cornball that is on MNF on ESPN. I can't stand that guy. To be honest I have hardly even watched a Monday Night Football game this season. At least not a whole game with the exception of the Packers at the Broncos.

bmac
    bmac's Avatar Become A Pro!

you can count my vote agaisn't him

luciano
    luciano's Avatar Become A Pro!

co-sign

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

--------------------
    Booth just not Gumbel's bag
    --------------------

NFL Network may be losing its gamble on play-by-play man

Ed Sherman

December 7, 2007

Thursday's Bears game was the first opportunity for Chicago-area fans who haven't been blessed with access to the NFL Network to hear what it has to offer. Locally, the game aired free (a novel concept) on WPWR-Ch. 50.

Bryant Gumbel and Cris Collinsworth were given the difficult task of trying to make something out of a match between 5-7 teams. Green Bay-Dallas it was not.

The first half couldn't have been bleaker, as Gumbel and Collinsworth were left to describe players being carted off the field.

There was plenty of dumping on the Bears.

Collinsworth was typically sharp and biting. When Gumbel noted the Bears' defense excelled in three-and-out and third-and-long situations, Collinsworth said, "They must be lousy in between."

Then in the third quarter, he said: "There's professional football and unprofessional football. Right now the Bears are playing unprofessional football. It's embarrassing."

Ouch.

Gumbel also got in a shot when he said of the beleaguered Cedric Benson, "Let's be honest, he was lousy."

Candor was one of the reasons the NFL Network decided to pair Gumbel and Collinsworth in the booth. Collinsworth was an easy call, as he is the Tom Brady of analysts. Who's better?

The network gambled on Gumbel, who before taking the assignment last year hadn't called a game since the 1970s. Thus far, he hasn't paid off as critics have panned him for everything, including his voice. It lacks the authoritative tone usually heard from NFL play-by-play men.

Gumbel makes no apologies, saying "It's the only voice I have."

Of greater concern is Gumbel's ability to call a game. Thursday, he violated an announcer rule when he didn't wait for the referee to signal the result of a field goal: He said an attempt by Washington's Shaun Suisham was good, only to see it fall short.

"My bad," Gumbel said.

There were other "my bads," which shouldn't be accepted at this level.

I'm a big fan of Gumbel's "Real Sports" on HBO. That's his arena. The football booth, it appears, is not.

Send a letter

Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) has emerged as the great defender for sports TV viewers.

Thursday, he stepped into the dispute involving the NFL Network and the big cable operators who are balking at carrying it, writing a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Kyle McSlarrow, president and CEO of the National Cable and Telecommunications Association.

Kerry is concerned many fans, especially those in Massachusetts, might not be able to see the Dec. 29 game between New England and the New York Giants, which will air on the NFL Network.

If the Patriots are going for an undefeated season, the uproar will be even more intense than it was for last week's Dallas-Green Bay game.

"Unfortunately, this disagreement has led to the use of what could potentially be an historic football game as leverage in a negotiation," Kerry said in the letter.

Kerry could have the weight to influence the negotiations. Earlier this year, the senator conducted a hearing about Major League Baseball's "Extra Innings" subscription package only being available on DirecTV.

Eventually, MLB did a deal to place out-of-market games on cable.

NFL fans should hope Kerry will have the same effect again.

This time, Kerry probably reacted after seeing the rating for Monday night's game. The Patriots' 27-24 victory over Baltimore set an all-time cable record for the largest audience. An estimated 17.5 million viewers watched on ESPN.

That eclipsed the previous high of 17.2 million viewers set in August for Disney's airing of "High School Musical 2." The mark probably is safe until Disney airs the debut of "High School Musical 3."

The Seer

shit =
    Attached Images  

djeffectz
    djeffectz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

no bryant Gumbel tonight guys, that means u can watch the game with sound now...

awhitejackson
    Slappin troubles away with the SlapChop
    awhitejackson's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why is he always holding his glasses while he talks? is this to look sophisticated. Really irks me...If you are not going to wear the f ing things put them down!

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Besides the result, watching the game was actually enjoyable tonight.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Hammond was a lot better.. NFL Network should be writing out his contract and buying out Kermit Gumbel's..

area51steve
    area51steve's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gumbel should be fired.. He should be living in a cardboard box in the ghetto. The guy who filled in for him did OK but he said something like "And the pass is incomplete for a first down". What kind of sh*t is that?? But overall it was better than that gumbel idiot.

SBR Lou

The issue with Bryant is he's
    • Awkward in the booth

• Makes too many mistakes

• Not a good voice for play-by-play

• Repeats himself, "it appears to be, it appears to be" after every play, refers to quarters as 'periods', every so often refers to the playclock as 'shotclock'.

Prior to NFL network hiring him last season, he had never in his career worked as a play-by-play guy. That is why he's having disastrous results. Only his brother, Greg Gumbel, has worked in this field.

Commentators usually work their way up to 8pm games, they start out regionally, perfecting their craft... When you take a guy whose entire element is outside of that booth, you will not have an enjoyable show. The Dennis Millers and Bryant Gumbels of the world ruin it for all of us! Stick to HBO Gumbel!

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Tom Hammond was a light year better last night than BG has been or ever will be!

The Seer

The whole NFL channel's broadcast is slow and not very entertaining.

bigboydan

It really sucked he was back tonight.

12 Last