SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

He
    1.) called Frank Gore "Al Gore" once
    2.) welcomed us to 'Thursday Night Football' midway through program.
    3.) yelled out TOUCHDOWN! as the ball is flying away from Chad Johnson
    4.) challenged Marshall Faulks football knowledge and made himself sound like an asshole in the 4th quarter...
    5.) take your pick......"it appears to be a first down (ball is clear in front of marker)..., it appears to be Bryant Gumbel is a horrible ****in' play-by-play man!!

nevillehater
    nevillehater's Avatar Become A Pro!

Somewhere Jane Pauley is laughing at Humbel Gumbel. How far he has fallen. It reminds me of Jason Alexander doing lame KFC ads just to stay in the game. Can't these people emulate the Rock and Hagler and retire with some f'ing dignity?

Humbel Gumbel is one gigantic turd. However, I agreed with him on the 4th and 5 call in the 4th Q that the Bungles should have gone for it (and eventually did). To hear Faulk and/or Sanders blabbing that the Bungles should punt b/c the Niners "have no offense" (after watching them chew the clock all day) was surreal.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Gumble makes tons of 'scripted' mistakes. He tries so hard to be prepared with every factoid he has scripted. Inexperienced play by play guys script most of what they say. However - I think I'm the only person that actually likes him. I can live with the mistakes because I already know what's going on.

I've always been a big fan of his - as I'm a total nerdazoid like him on useless information and I enjoy his sometimes pretentious off-the-cuff demeanor. It reminds me of hanging out and throwin down a few brews and talking about history, literature or something of that nature - but WATCHING football. I'm too into the games to care about the mistakes or give a dang what he says that's naming the wrong team (which he does a lot).

To me the bigger travesty is Collinsworth. He's flat out terrible. He PLAYED the game and has been covering games for years and completely misses in his analysis or just says nothing.

There's been so many instances, for example, he's said crap like 'OH they FINALLY sent pressure' - after 3 series of multiple blitzes... It's just he only noticed that the QB got pressured that one time.

He adds absolutely zero to the game and is incorrect so much because he's such a doofus.

I learn nothing about what's going on from him and never have. With Gumbel, I might pick up a factoid. I like that.

I also should say that I don't think Gumbel has the experience to be fit to do NFL games on a national level. I'd much prefer an under-rated 'network' guy get a shot at Thursday night like a Gus Johnson (the best call in the NFL right now far and away - save Al Michaels - but him and Madden are the best of the best at what they do and have been for a long long time).

But you won't hear me complain about Gumbel doing games. I'm a capper - I should notice things and not need him telling me whats going on. That's how I approach it. I actually am happy he makes mistakes - it lets me know I'm paying close attention to the game and noticing things that help me make betting decisions. Although, I think Gumbel needs to go back to Gumbel 2 Gumbel - I miss that show.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

[QUOTE=crazyl;449177]
    4.) challenged Marshall Faulks football knowledge and made himself sound like an asshole in the 4th quarter...
    QUOTE]

I thought Gumbel was 100% right there, though - and I respect him for not being a vanilla twit. Just because Faulk is HOF material as a player doesn't mean he's a HOF game manager. I think him and Deion were disinterested in the game and their 'ideas' of how to manage the game were incorrect. Nolan is about as bad a decision maker in the 2 minute drill West of the Mississippi - and Shanahan and Herm coach W of the Mississippi - that's how bad he is.

I think he was spot on in regards to not only winning the game, but the integrity of it.
    You play to win the game - not play it like a back yard scrimmage. It's the NFL, not some crap league.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't know about you guys, but that simulcast last night was great. I mean the entire U.S. had the privilege to see just how bad this guy really is.

My prediction is that Gumbel is gone next year.

First 12