BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Why is Marvin Lewis Still a Head Coach?

His teams are normally just average, and they have failed to win a playoff game since Lewis has been there. 5 losses. It is time for this guy to go. His S/U record is 90-90-1. How many HC's who have never won a playof game stick around for as long as he has? Does Cincinnati just not care? Do they realize that Lewis has the longest record of ineptitude in playoff games of any current HC? Can a Cincinnati fan explain to me the thinking of their front office?

kid_mikey_84
    kid_mikey_84's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    His teams are normally just average, and they have failed to win a playoff game since Lewis has been there. 5 losses. It is time for this guy to go. His S/U record is 90-90-1. How many HC's who have never won a playof game stick around for as long as he has? Does Cincinnati just not care? Do they realize that Lewis has the longest record of ineptitude in playoff games of any current HC? Can a Cincinnati fan explain to me the thinking of their front office?

All you do is post loser after loser. Why are you still here?

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by kid_mikey_84 View Post
    All you do is post loser after loser. Why are you still here?
    Listen kid, if you don't have an answer, don't waste my time. 65 posts are meaningless. I asked a legit question and obviously you have no clue as to what the answer is. I am hoping that a Cincinnati fan will respond so I can understand the front office thinking here. Is Lewis working that cheap?

MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11165

I live in Cincinnati, but am no Bengals fan. I don't know what they see in Marvin. He's actually 90-85-1, but he has one of safest jobs in the NFL though. He was 60-67-1 after a 4-12 season in 2010, but was rewarded with an extension. Then 3 straight winning seasons and getting bounced in the first game. It's puzzling.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not a Cincy fan.

But given that Cincy has been unimpressive for quite a long time, a coach that can put up decent regular season records is going to get the benefit of the doubt for longer than if it was a team with more pressure on them to compete at the highest level. It's Andy Dalton that's really holding the Bengals back, not Lewis.
    Points Awarded:

slacker00 gave suicidekings 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

The Bengals have one of the best rosters in the NFL , maybe the best. Lewis cannot win a home playoff game with this roster he has to go. Tomorrow if not sooner. Bengals should release Dalton tonight. He will never win a big game.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I understand about Dalton, but what about the years they had with Carson Palmer? What about the Palmer to Chad Johnson years? Dalton is just the current excuse. Lewis seems to have an excuse every year about this time.

Luckycharms2012
    Luckycharms2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5412

Coaching didn't lose this game today. Lewis did everything he could to get a win for the team. Got that FG at the end of the half by using timeouts and getting the ball back. I didn't see any major coaching errors. Did a better job than Andy Reid that's for sure. You can't win a playoff game with 4 turnovers, coaching didn't cause those interceptions and fumbles.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by Luckycharms2012 View Post
    Coaching didn't lose this game today. Lewis did everything he could to get a win for the team. Got that FG at the end of the half by using timeouts and getting the ball back. I didn't see any major coaching errors. Did a better job than Andy Reid that's for sure. You can't win a playoff game with 4 turnovers, coaching didn't cause those interceptions and fumbles.
    The fact is this. He could not motivate his team after taking the lead at halftime. The play calling was poor. I guess if you are willing to accept mediocrity, Lewis is O.K.

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

correct, he should be fired after this game, i posted he would be gone if they lose. and for whatever reason, just looking at dalton's ginger face makes me angry, talk about mediocrity.

vinhmen
    vinhmen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4750

He's got em to the playoffs 3 years in a row. How often do playoff coaches get canned.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3521

I understand about Dalton, but what about the years they had with Carson Palmer? What about the Palmer to Chad Johnson years? Dalton is just the current excuse. Lewis seems to have an excuse every year about this time.
    Good point, Palmer was a much better QB then Dalton.

Luckycharms2012

The fact is this. He could not motivate his team after taking the lead at halftime. The play calling was poor. I guess if you are willing to accept mediocrity, Lewis is O.K.
    I think you just don't like the man and are searching for any excuse to fire him. Even this statement here is pretty ridiculous. If players aren't motivated to play in a playoff game when they're up at halftime then the players have a problem, not the coach. There's only so much you can do as a coach. These players are professionals and if they can't get up for a playoff game when they're in control and winning at halftime that's on them not the coach. And i didn't see too much poor play calling either, i don't know what you're seeing. What i did see however was a fumble on like the 3 yard line when Bengals were about to score and then another fumble, i saw 2 big picks from Dalton. If you have to dissect anything you start there and move out. You can't hang it on the coach when there were 4 turnovers, no way.

Capper1124
    Update your status
    Capper1124's Avatar Become A Pro!

Either he or Dalton need to go in Cincy.

Luckycharms2012

I'm not saying the coach should stay or go but its not his fault. Only two teams make it to the Superbowl...at the start of the season who thinks the Bengals are one of those teams? Exactly...they don't have the personnel and Dalton isn't leading the team anywhere. Dalton mindset is fragile, he is more in the mold of Tony Romo...guy with hype but no substance and he isn't clutch. In big games you can always count on at least one pick from Dalton, usually more. Steelers raped the Bengals and showed the world they were only paper champions of the AFC North.
    Last edited by Luckycharms2012; 01-05-14 at 07:40 PM.

SoonerC
    SoonerC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 946

It doesn't matter who the coach is in Cincy, the owner is a POS so karma is going to take care of things for the immediate future.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

The highly racist Shannon Sharpe melted down today after the loss. It was unprovoked but in his usual ebonics I thought I heard him say, "It is Andy Dalton's fault", this has nothing to do with Marvin Lewis.

As others mentioned, look at their roster.
    Elite WR
    Very good offensive line
    2 good TE
    2 solid RB
    decent complementary WRs
    Good D-Line
    Very good LB's even LB debt
    Good CBs
    Good S

He also has a good OC and a decent DC

He has been the coach for 11 years and hasn't won ever. Ever! If you took the QB's off of every NFL roster then yes, the Bengals have one of the most talented teams in the league. It is an embarrassment that he has never won anything. Marvin Lewis has got to go.

This is what happens when you have a black head coach who is a defensive head coach who knows nothing about offense.
    Lovie Smith always had shitty offenses in Chicago
    Dungy never had an offense in Tampa, he lucked into getting Peyton Manning
    Leslie Frazier was clueless on offense
    Marvin Lewis had shitty defenses the first 1/2 of his career and now he can't win with a talented offense either

It is a QB and offensive driven league. Marvin Lewis needs to go.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TitsArriba

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Bengals had their best year since Boomer Esiason and you want to fire the head coach?

I think this loss raises questions about Dalton, but I don't have any answers right now.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    This is what happens when you have a ... defensive head coach who knows nothing about offense.
    Bill Belichick, John Fox, Chuck Pagano, Pete Carroll, Ron Rivera are all former DCs in the NFL. Fade them?

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Bill Belichick, John Fox, Chuck Pagano, Pete Carroll, Ron Rivera are all former DCs in the NFL. Fade them?
    Do they know nothing about offense?

Oh and Marvin Lewis couldn't wash dishes at the Bellicheck residence.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

i agree cincy just cant let this loss slide. something needs to be done.

C-Gold

I don't think Dalton will ever win, but neither will Marvin Lewis. If he couldn't win this game as a 7 point favorite at home with this team. It's not like the guy won any of the last 10 years. Cincy needs to fire his dumb ass.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    Do they know nothing about offense?
    They are about the same as Marvin Lewis in that regard.

4TH AND STUPID
    best NFL capper at SBR
    4TH AND STUPID's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1990

you guys are out in left field. is it the coaches fault andy dalton has 1 TD and 8 INT in 3 playoff games?

dalton is a bum you could put phil jackosn in his prime from the lakers on the sidelines you aint winning shit with andy dalton wake the fuk up cinncy fans.

Luckycharms2012

LOL at people over looking the QB position. Leave off the QB and look at the rest of the roster, their STACKED!

Andy Dalton has shit for brains. He's weak minded, folds under pressure. A QB like that does not instill confidence throughout the team like a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or even a Joe Flacco or Phillip Rivers. Dalton is not a leader and he's not clutch, Dalton = Romo...those are the most dangerous QB's to have because they play well enough to keep their jobs but never good enough to win. Again "4TH AND STUPID" came up with the golden stat here that proves what i've been saying this whole thread, ANDY DALTON 1 TD, 8 PICKS IN 3 PLAYOFF GAMES....YOU DON'T WIN PLAYOFF GAMES WITH TURNOVERS, doesn't matter who's coaching you can't win with turnovers. Why do you think when that guy Ridley or whatever his name is on the Patriots fumbled the ball Bellichick benched him immediately? It's because he's TO prone and he gave the guy one chance and then he benched him, it's because Bellichick knows no matter how well he coaches if this asshole fumbles again we probably lose the game. Four turnovers for Bengals against the Chargers, they have no chance. You can't hang that on the coach, no matter how you try. It's hard to win a game with 4 turnovers, this is the NFL.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

80% of the qbs in the league are chokers in prime time and will always be. why do you think the same teams win the superbowl or are in the mix every year?? no elite qb, coach or defense or combination nobody is winning squat. dalton and lewis are neither but then again most teams are the same.

packerd_00

Slacker_00

Come on know you think Stafford wasnt the reason Detroit sh!t the bed but yet you give Marvin a free pass and blame it all on Dalton.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 01-06-14 at 10:50 AM.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

i don't really think it was m. lewis' fault
    they had a good season, had the lead in the 3rd Q, and dalton imploded
    chiefs loss is more of an example of a coaching loss

inTomWeTrust
    inTomWeTrust's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol

Listen kid, if you don't have an answer, don't waste my time. 65 posts are meaningless. I asked a legit question and obviously you have no clue as to what the answer is. I am hoping that a Cincinnati fan will respond so I can understand the front office thinking here. Is Lewis working that cheap?

Maybe you should hop on the TOOOT TOOOT Train

TOOOOOOOOOOT TOOOOOOOOOOT

49ers vs Atlanta OVER w
    Eagles vs Bears OVER toot w

Seattle vs Saints - in Russell we TRUSTED w
    Jaxonville Texans Over w
    Bears Cowboys - Bears w
    In Danny Woodhead Money line and chargers we trusted w
    We tooted on the Bears again against Cleveland w
    We tooted on In big BEN and the steelers we TRUST w
    We tooooot TOOOOOOOOOOOOOTED on the Under Lions and Ravens w ons and

We trusted in RickyRoma OVER Cowboys vs. Eagles - LOST
    oWe TRUSTED IN the ANDREW Luck SHOW TOOOOOOT TOOOT w

o We trusted in the Daniel Wood head SHOW AGAIN w

We trusted in the Jimmy Harbarah
    w

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Slacker_00

Come on know you think Stafford wasnt the reason wasnt the reason Detroit sh!t the bed but yet you give Marvin a free pass and it all on Dalton.
    Name the specific mistakes that Marvin made. Schwartz was a fiasco every game.

I don't think either franchise should ditch their QB. Both franchises need to address QB output.

packerd_00

Name the specific mistakes that Marvin made. Schwartz was a fiasco every game.

I don't think either franchise should ditch their QB. Both franchises need to address QB output.
    Im not saying he made any mistakes persa but im looking at his teams track record, whoever he has had at Qb have it be Palmer or Dalton he just doesnt seem to be able to win a playoff game.Some of that blame has to go on Marvin Lewis,just as it would on any head coach. Andy Reid takes alot of blame for his playoff losses which is fair.

Both Qb's arent upto the task, and will never be Playoff calibre Qb's,doesnt matter what coach they get in there.

slacker00

Im not saying he made any mistakes persa but im looking at his teams track record, whoever he has had at Qb have it be Palmer or Dalton he just doesnt seem to be able to win a playoff game.Some of that blame has to go on Marvin Lewis,just as it would on any head coach. Andy Reid takes alot of blame for his playoff losses which is fair.

Both Qb's arent upto the task, and will never be Playoff calibre Qb's,doesnt matter what coach they get in there.
    It's pretty tough to knock a coach with 3 straight winning years and this year maybe his best year overall.

Dalton is 26 and Stafford is 25, barely entering their prime years. Peyton didn't win a playoff game until almost 28.

packerd_00

It's pretty tough to knock a coach with 3 straight winning years and this year maybe his best year overall.

Dalton is 26 and Stafford is 25, barely entering their prime years. Peyton didn't win a playoff game until almost 28.
    What good are wins in the regular season if you lose in the first rd of the playoffs three straight years.

Manning would not have blown 6 out of 7 games the way Stafford did at that age either,im sorry the guy is a high priced turnover machine,worst of all he doesnt seem to care.

slacker00

What good are wins in the regular season if you lose in the first rd of the playoffs three straight years.

Manning would not have blown 6 out of 7 games the way Stafford did at that age either,im sorry the guy is a high priced turnover machine,worst of all he doesnt seem to care.
    In that case, might as well fire Mike McCarthy. He's done nothing but early exits in the playoffs the last 3 years. Right?

You obviously don't remember the early years of Peyton Manning. He turned it over plenty.

waco66
    Canucks -1.5
    waco66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

The difference here is Dalton has ZERO arm strength. Watching the game yesterday proved he wont get any better. What you see with Dalton is what you're going to get...he'll be a great back up QB for any franchise.

Edit: As a Packer fan, I have wanted Mike McCarthy fired for two years now.

12 Last