djmano
    djmano's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Theory about defensive pass interference and ability to manipulate the game

Does anyone else think in football its too easy for the refs to control the outcome of a game through defensive pass interference penalties? I mean yardage wise its such a huge penalty....can put the other team at the 1 yard line or deep in opposing teams side of the field with just one play.

im not saying the games are fixed but seems it would be easy to do so and chalk it up to a few bad calls or calls that could go either way but were called in offensive team's favor.

i see so many pass interference penalties week in week out that should be no calls or could be offensive PI.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

I think the penalty is too generous. You chuck a bomb and there is some holding so that means the guy would have caught it? It means he would have had a chance to catch it. DPI penalty should be half the distance from LOS to spot of foul. The NFL has opened a can of worms with their new cant touch the QB penalties; the good teams get better and the bad teams get worse.

mtofell
    mtofell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4680

I generally prefer the college 15-yd penalty but it can be abused by the defense when they know they are beat badly... just tackle the guy and it's only 15 years. The NFL is way too generous, though. Hard to say what should be done.... I like the half the distance to the spot of the foul. It's a nice compromise.

And, yeah.... it would be super easy for a ref to fix a game that way. I never really thought about that one specifically.

Sarunas
    Sarunas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

is truth! good thread.

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 494

no doubt. hate the subjectiveness of that call.

also hate when a guy is running out of bounds and gets hit and the personal foul flag is thrown. i think it's thrown too often.

djmano
    djmano's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

ive seen quite a few plays this year where they really are favoring protecting the runner too much going out of bounds with the late hit penalty. it puts the defensive player in a tough position.....they cant count on the offensive player to give themselves up if they look like there going out of bounds, they might cut back into the field of play.

SteveRyan
    SteveRyan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2995

Quote Originally Posted by byronbb View Post
    I think the penalty is too generous. You chuck a bomb and there is some holding so that means the guy would have caught it? It means he would have had a chance to catch it. DPI penalty should be half the distance from LOS to spot of foul. The NFL has opened a can of worms with their new cant touch the QB penalties; the good teams get better and the bad teams get worse.
    You can't do that. By cutting the penalty in half you would get about double the amount of legit DPI violations.

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

You see it affect the outcomes of games all the time, and savvy QBs know this and try to exploit it whenever possible. Penalty should be 10 yards at best, or better yet, just eliminate PI altogether.

arpeggiomeister
    arpeggiomeister's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2918

Quote Originally Posted by djmano View Post
    Does anyone else think in football its too easy for the refs to control the outcome of a game through defensive pass interference penalties? I mean yardage wise its such a huge penalty....can put the other team at the 1 yard line or deep in opposing teams side of the field with just one play.

im not saying the games are fixed but seems it would be easy to do so and chalk it up to a few bad calls or calls that could go either way but were called in offensive team's favor.

i see so many pass interference penalties week in week out that should be no calls or could be offensive PI.
    I will say it for you. The games are fixed, not all of them, just enough to keep the betting public off balance. I am a Patriots fan but it is pretty hard to deny the Pats had some serious help from the refs in beating the Saints. So much money changes hands through sports betting that people would be foolish to believe that there are not some games being fixed. The easiest way to fix a game is to get a ref in your pocket. They can influence the game more then any star player on the field. This is not something to get upset about, it is a fact of life. If you can figure out what side to be on in a fix then it is money in the bank. Being on the outside you are just guessing but there are patterns that emerge. Read "The Fix is In" by Brian Toughy and "Personal Foul" by Tim Donaghy. It will change your perspective on pro sports radically. Anyone who believes this stuff is not still going on is totally naïve.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Sarunas

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

i hate the holding penalty. Every play there is some variation of holding. They could literally call that penalty whenever they wanted

IamAmonkey
    IamAmonkey's Avatar Become A Pro!

All true gents.....refs control pro ball. just watch for the rig on singled out or high profile games

Sarunas
    Sarunas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Quote Originally Posted by arpeggiomeister View Post
    I will say it for you. The games are fixed, not all of them, just enough to keep the betting public off balance. I am a Patriots fan but it is pretty hard to deny the Pats had some serious help from the refs in beating the Saints. So much money changes hands through sports betting that people would be foolish to believe that there are not some games being fixed. The easiest way to fix a game is to get a ref in your pocket. They can influence the game more then any star player on the field. This is not something to get upset about, it is a fact of life. If you can figure out what side to be on in a fix then it is money in the bank. Being on the outside you are just guessing but there are patterns that emerge. Read "The Fix is In" by Brian Toughy and "Personal Foul" by Tim Donaghy. It will change your perspective on pro sports radically. Anyone who believes this stuff is not still going on is totally naïve.
    is excellent. and all the truth!

make look on nit game of basketball of early years of 2000s. is in the history record! is most incredible match of make the fix. the game make king/lakers have appearance as game as small drip of the waters. incredible! but! we knows this!

make put the curtain before! the winds.

is all

SteveRyan
    SteveRyan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2995

Pretty sweet article here which explains the direct ties between NFL team owners and legal/illegal gambling.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...-dirty-secret/