iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Brandon Weeden is better than you think he is...

Will win a Super Bowl one day...

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

As coach maybe

His career is more than half over

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

He's in a public QB competition with Jason Campbell.

I'll reserve judgment.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

you mean as a starter or as a backup?

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68557

Quote Originally Posted by iifold View Post
    Will win a Super Bowl one day...

A super bowl might be a stretch but yes, he is better than most think he is.

Guy should absolutely improve his numbers this year .

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    He's in a public QB competition with Jason Campbell.

I'll reserve judgment.
    Not an open competition, pure motivation speak from a rookie coach not wanting to hand anything to anyone. If it were truly an open competition they'd be splitting time with the 1's, which is not happening.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Better than people think-- maybe-- superbowl.....doubt it....

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Guy is a 2nd year player at fukkin 29 years old

How can the Browns waste a 1st round pick on someone this old with no real amazing ability?? Terrible use of resources and a strange move for a rebuilding team like the Browns at the time.....He's not that bad but his ceiling is very low as his physical prime will soon be over

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post

How can the Browns waste a 1st round pick on someone this old with no real amazing ability?? Terrible use of resources and a strange move for a rebuilding team like the Browns at the time.....He's not that bad but his ceiling is very low as his physical prime will soon be over
    Should be noted 30 in October

Huckleberry Pig
    Huckleberry Pig's Avatar Become A Pro!

couldn't agree more, never understood that pick. thought he'd go somewhere to be a backup

iifold
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry Pig View Post
    couldn't agree more, never understood that pick. thought he'd go somewhere to be a backup
    He's already better than half the starting QB's in the league...

This is a warning, you can listen and try to find some value before the secret is out, or you can lose your money on overvalued Steelers and Ravens teams...

Your choice...
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave iifold 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Mac4Lyfe gave iifold 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Mac4Lyfe

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

6-10 or 7-9 type QB

II FOLD let me handle NFL personnel

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

This is a warning, you can listen and try to find some value before the secret is out, or you can lose your money on overvalued Steelers and Ravens teams...

Your choice...
    There's quite a difference between a geuy who brings value and a guey who's gonna lead a team to the Super Bowl.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry Pig View Post
    Me too....He's actually decent as Cleveland's starter but really nothing special at all......it's still a terrible pick as he only has a few "prime years" physically and has basically no real ceiling at this point.

I would be livid if my team took a 29 year old at any position with their 1st round pick.....Just screams desperation, which I guess was the truth for the previous Cleveland regime that drafted him.....Still didn't save their jobs

Could have traded for an Alex Smith type for less

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

They had 2 number 1's last year if you recall. They took Weeden with their 2nd 1 at #22. Not a terribly high investment to instantly upgrade your QB.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by ProfaneReality View Post
    They had 2 number 1's last year if you recall. They took Weeden with their 2nd 1 at #22. Not a terribly high investment to instantly upgrade your QB.
    Number 1 draft picks are like gold in the NFL.....I understand Weeden was an upgrade, but it's just not a smart decision to take such an old player that high relatively speaking......By the time Weeden hits his NFL mental prime, his body will be starting to deteriorate physically

If they took him in the 3rd then I get it.....

Only way it's really worth it is if he's so good for a few seasons in the coming years where he has the Browns in Superbowl contention.....Otherwise, for a young and rebuilding team I'd much rather have a young and talented QB grow with the team for years

Just seemed like a bad fit, Weeden-Browns, is it what it comes down to

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

iifold is sharp as a tack. The Browns will probably have the best defense in the league. That front defensive line is going to be straight up nasty. Good luck scoring against the Browns. Last year they were leading at halftime in dam near every game. They just couldn't close games out in the 4th quarter.

Weeden is one of the smartest QBs in the league already. He has a very strong arm and knows how to put the right touch on the ball. If his offensive line stays healthy (2 OG's already injured) he is going to put up points in the air.

I made a lot of money riding the Browns first half last year. I'm going to do the same this year. They somehow jump on teams early. Look at what they're doing to Detroit tonight. Matt Stafford can't do shit out there (of course no Megatron) but their offense is stuck in the mud and Stafford is straight up frustrated.

The AFC Central is the toughest division in the league. That's the only reason I wouldn't take a SB bet. Several of these teams are going to be banged up by the end of the season, so it could be a coin flip.

Your choice...

Mac4Lyfe

As a Browns fan, I thought it was a huge reach initially. I'm now a huge believer as I've seen him grow in leaps and bounds. The guy knows the playbook and can read defenses already. If he gives the Browns 8 - 10 good years that would be awesome. I think the Browns have a solid shot at winning the Central and that's already saying a lot.

Number 1 draft picks are like gold in the NFL.....I understand Weeden was an upgrade, but it's just not a smart decision to take such an old player that high relatively speaking......By the time Weeden hits his NFL mental prime, his body will be starting to deteriorate physically

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Take notes boys

when the king speaks, I listen

Mac4Lyfe

Weeden...

Last week... 10 - 13 : 1 TD
    This week... 8 - 12 : 2 TD

Norv Turner is a fukkin genius. He knows how to coach up QBs baby...

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

Browns 8-8 this year with Weeden Medicore, if B plays well could make playoffs at 10-6. Defense is top 3 in AFC

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He did look sharp tonight

Its only pre season though

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

He has a cannon arm but not many weapons put him on Detroit he throws for 5000, still dont know how much he does with those wideouts though.

iifold
    Update your status

$10.00 $1,900.00 Pending 9/5/13 8:30pm Football NFL +19000 Super Bowl XLVIII - Cleveland Browns*

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

ref in this game confused the signs for false start and holding (made the holding signal while saying false start). Cleveland announcers didn't even notice.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    As a Browns fan, I thought it was a huge reach initially. I'm now a huge believer as I've seen him grow in leaps and bounds. The guy knows the playbook and can read defenses already. If he gives the Browns 8 - 10 good years that would be awesome. I think the Browns have a solid shot at winning the Central and that's already saying a lot.
    He's not a bad QB, and if he was a few years younger I would applaud the pick, but the dude's gunna be 30 before the season is over and he's only in his 2nd professional season......Just not a smart long term investment to use a 1st rounder on such an old player UNLESS you really believe he can be that great......If he turns out to be just "pretty good" or "ok" it's a bad useof resources.....he'll be 35, pushing 40 before ya know it

I think the AFC North is wide open......The Bengals are my pick but Browns wouldn't surprise me if their young guys step up

Mac4Lyfe

^^^
    2 games and Weeden's QB ratings against first team defenses...
    127.7 and 137.8

Weeden has looked like the best QB in the league thus far. Of course it's preseason but he looks like a veteran thus far. This is a win NOW league. Are you really thinking about Weeden 10 years from now? 95% of the guys on the field will be gone 10 years from now. NFL = Not For Long...

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

^^^
    2 games and Weeden's QB ratings against first team defenses...
    127.7 and 137.8

Weeden has looked like the best QB in the league thus far. Of course it's preseason but he looks like a veteran thus far. This is a win NOW league. Are you really thinking about Weeden 10 years from now? 95% of the guys on the field will be gone 10 years from now. NFL = Not For Long...
    Not interested in pre-season stats against vanilla defenses.....Just how the offense is operating and Weeden is looking good no doubt

I already said I think he's a decent QB and the Browns have a shot to be a solid team this year

Hey if Weeden gives you a few seasons of great QB play the pick is worth it......But if I'm using a 1st rounder on a QB I want a 21-22 year old QB to be there for 15 years, not a 29-30 year old QB with 5 years at best in his physical prime......

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

We don't bet players foldii, we bet teams. Browns suck.

Mac4Lyfe

Maybe the Browns should have picked JaMarcus Russell at #22. Oh, I forgot JaMarcus was picked #1. He played just 3 years with the team. How about Tim Couch whom the Browns picked #1 overall pick who lasted just 5 years. Or Akili Smith who was the 2nd overall pick behind couch who lasted 2 years. How about Alex Smith? He was 1st overall pick and he only lasted 5 years with the 49ers (and you think 5 years is bad). Or maybe Cade McNown at #12 who started just 15 games, only 2 years with the Bears. How about Ryan Leaf gone after 3 years. How about Brady Quinn whom the Brown chose with the same 22nd pick as Weeden and started just 6 games in his career. Maybe they should have gotten a young Matt Leinart who lasted 4 years with Az.

The list goes on and on and on... Akili Smith, JP Losman, Rex Grossman, Giovanni Carmazzi, Vince Young, David Carr, Heath Shuler, Rick Mirer, David Klingler, Andre Ware, Kelly Stouffer, Todd Blackledge, Art Schlichter, Jack Thompson, Jerry Tagge. Should I go on? Most NFL QB's are busts...

You say you want a QB to be there 15 years? Who the hell wouldn't? But please find me all those guys that last 15 years? Who are those pink unicorns? Peyton Manning has only played 14 seasons...

Please enlighten us of all the 15+ year QB vets in the league right now???

Hey if Weeden gives you a few seasons of great QB play the pick is worth it......But if I'm using a 1st rounder on a QB I want a 21-22 year old QB to be there for 15 years, not a 29-30 year old QB with 5 years at best in his physical prime......

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Maybe the Browns should have picked JaMarcus Russell at #22. Oh, I forgot JaMarcus was picked #1. He played just 3 years with the team. How about Tim Couch whom the Browns picked #1 overall pick who lasted just 5 years. Or Akili Smith who was the 2nd overall pick behind couch who lasted 2 years. How about Alex Smith? He was 1st overall pick and he only lasted 5 years with the 49ers (and you think 5 years is bad). Or maybe Cade McNown at #12 who started just 15 games, only 2 years with the Bears. How about Ryan Leaf gone after 3 years. How about Brady Quinn whom the Brown chose with the same 22nd pick as Weeden and started just 6 games in his career. Maybe they should have gotten a young Matt Leinart who lasted 4 years with Az.

The list goes on and on and on... Akili Smith, JP Losman, Rex Grossman, Giovanni Carmazzi, Vince Young, David Carr, Heath Shuler, Rick Mirer, David Klingler, Andre Ware, Kelly Stouffer, Todd Blackledge, Art Schlichter, Jack Thompson, Jerry Tagge. Should I go on? Most NFL QB's are busts...

You say you want a QB to be there 15 years? Who the hell wouldn't? But please find me all those guys that last 15 years? Who are those pink unicorns? Peyton Manning has only played 14 seasons...

Please enlighten us of all the 15+ year QB vets in the league right now???
    15 years is a stretch, but bottom line is Weeden has a maximum of 5-6 years of his prime years physically....you are starting off with a huge disadvantage in that sense as a franchise for the long haul

He doesn't look like a bust like some of other other guys which is obviously a good thing, but my problem is more with the ceiling of drafting a guy that old

I would expect guys like Russel Wilson, RG3, Luck, Kaepernick, Stafford, Eli Manning, Rivers, Big Ben, Flacco, Newton, Matt Ryan to be able to help their teams for 10+ years

Weeden is at a 6-7 year disadvantage right from the start and has a small window to be successful comparatively speaking

But hey, if he gets the Browns to become a contender for a few years the pick was worth it so we'll see

Not a horrible pick either way in hindsight, but at the time I just could never take a 29 year old rookie with a 1st rounder just off of principal alone
    Last edited by MoneyLineDawg; 08-15-13 at 10:55 PM.

Mac4Lyfe

I think you're very wrong... So does former GM.

Ted Sundquist ‏ @ Ted_Sundquist 13m VERY nice to see # BrandonWeeden playing like I thought he could. Qk release, grt zip, gd placement. Guy can throw. # Browns fans optimistic?

Steve Gallo ‏ @ SteveGalloNFL 9m

@ Ted_Sundquist Should be. If he was 24 perception would be different, doesn't mean he can't be productive QB longer than most 24 yo wash outs

Ted Sundquist ‏ @ Ted_Sundquist 7m

. @ SteveGalloNFL Steve Young was 30 when his HOF career really took off.

^^Actually Young was 31 and made the pro bowl 7 straight years after playing in the USFL and with the Buccaneers. Weeden has plenty of time.

You're probably too young but many years ago, most drafted QBs had to wait many years to start. Most would be in their mid to late 20s anyway before they won a starting job. Some guys like Roger Staubach went to the military before going to the NFL.

Weeden is 29 but it's not like he's been playing football all those years and having wear and tear on his body. The 5/6 years he played baseball don't even count in my eyes because he didn't suffer a lot of punishment. Plus as a QB he doesn't have to be in tip top shape, look at Peyton Manning.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

I think you're very wrong... So does former GM.

Ted Sundquist ‏ @ Ted_Sundquist 13m VERY nice to see # BrandonWeeden playing like I thought he could. Qk release, grt zip, gd placement. Guy can throw. # Browns fans optimistic?

Steve Gallo ‏ @ SteveGalloNFL 9m

@ Ted_Sundquist Should be. If he was 24 perception would be different, doesn't mean he can't be productive QB longer than most 24 yo wash outs

Ted Sundquist ‏ @ Ted_Sundquist 7m

. @ SteveGalloNFL Steve Young was 30 when his HOF career really took off.

^^Actually Young was 31 and made the pro bowl 7 straight years after playing in the USFL and with the Buccaneers. Weeden has plenty of time.

You're probably too young but many years ago, most drafted QBs had to wait many years to start. Most would be in their mid to late 20s anyway before they won a starting job. Some guys like Roger Staubach went to the military before going to the NFL.

Weeden is 29 but it's not like he's been playing football all those years and having wear and tear on his body. The 5/6 years he played baseball don't even count in my eyes because he didn't suffer a lot of punishment. Plus as a QB he doesn't have to be in tip top shape, look at Peyton Manning.
    No matter what, he's still giving you 6-7 years less.....And that's fine if he turns out to be a good-great QB

What I mean by that is if Weeden can give you good QB play until he's 37 so can a guy like Andrew Luck or any other rookie QB at a normal age which means an extra 6-7 years of prime play

The wear and tear thing doesn't really matter because guys lose their top physical form in their mid-upper 30's no matter what....It's true for non-pro athletes with zero wear and tear....Just science

And it just happens in a flash usually.......

QB's do last a little longer, true, but all I'm saying is you're drafting a guy at 29 years old instead of the normal 22 or 23 in the 1st round he better be the real deal

Got no issues with Weeden or the Browns personally and think they can do well this year

Mac4Lyfe

MoneyLineDawg Quoted: "Guys lose their top physical form in their mid-upper 30's"..... HUH? Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are 37 and 36 and arguably the best QBs in the league. Did you miss the Manning sweepstakes last year? How many teams were begging for him to come to their team? The Bronco's put up $100 million to get a 37 year old. Your logic isn't plausible. Please show me some examples to prove your point?

An Andrew Luck comes around once every 10-15 years... Are you really trying to compare an overall #1 pick to the #22nd pick? I've also shown you where many #1 overall picks and definitely top 20 picks were absolute busts. If Weeden busts out, he would be no worst than all the other bums who came and went before him.

Just for kicks, why not name us the young 22 year old QBs picked #20 - #30 that lasted 7+ years in the league???

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

There is a reason you hardly ever see a QB or really any player in any sport even play at 40 years old.....Most guys in any sport start to break down around 37-38 years old....If you don't agree, tell me what age is the norm for guys' bodies to start failing them? Curious to hear that one

I wasn't talking about Andrew Luck's talent.....How bout a guy like Joe Flacco who was drafted right around Weeden's draft spot......If both guys physically hold up the same amount of years, the Ravens will have gotten an extra 7 years of prime play

I'm just disagreeing with taking a near 30 year old in the NFL Draft in the 1st round, PERIOD.....Could be Weeden or anyone else

With that being said, Weeden turns out to play well, then it's worth it so time will tell

1234 ... Last